shape
carat
color
clarity

Transition cut: pretty but chipped. Keep or return?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I''m not sure I really believe him about missing the chip. I mean, he examined it carefully enough to say it was VS clarity and H color, so he must have used a loupe. But hey--at least he''s willing to work with me on the partial refund.

If he does come down enough, I can live with the chip. Up to a point (the point where it affects sparkle), clarity is the least important characteristic to me. I''m not crazy about the chip, of course, but if the price is fair it won''t bother me. I don''t have the kind of purity thing some people do about a diamond''s clarity. I can understand feeling that way; I just happen not to, myself.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmm sure is pretty but that is a large chip.
I would return it for a refund and keep hunting.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 10:36:05 PM
Author: strmrdr
hmmm sure is pretty but that is a large chip.
I would return it for a refund and keep hunting.
Yeah that would bug me too. You have great eyes, another beauty you shall find.
2.gif

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
A refund in the range of $200 to $300 would be fair. Definitely ask for $300 first, and go from there.

Good luck.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Well, he agreed to the $300 refund. He said it seemed a little high, but "it is not your fault it had a chip. I should have seen it before I sent the ring out." He said he''d just emptied his paypal account, but would send me the money in a few days, as soon as he had $300 in the paypal account.

So as long as actually he does that, I''m happy.

Chip or no, it''s a nicely cut stone. It has an excellent idealscope image, very bright in the center with a nice flower pattern.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad that idea worked out for you. These guys trying to sell estate jewelry on Ebay have a ton of competition and don''t need or want unsatisfied customers posting bad feeback. He probably didn''t make anything on the sale but it''s worth it to not have to relist it disclosing the chip.

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Glad to hear it worked out for you, Glitterata.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, glad he agreed to the partial refund! It''s a lovely stone, in a gorgeous setting!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again for your help, everyone!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
He was as good as his word--the partial refund came through on Paypal.

Thanks, everyone.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Yay!! I was going to say, hold your feedback until the refund comes through! Terrific!!

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Yay for you glitter! Glad it all worked out for you - I''ll keep my fingers crossed that the refund shows up in a few days.
2.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I think the ring is beautiful, and with platinum, not a bad price... glad you got the discount. Just eb careful w/ the chip though... LOVE THE RING. It is really a beautiful piece.
4.gif

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
What a great ending to the story.
36.gif

I was hoping you would keep it because it is such a happy looking little ring. Very pretty.

It is a shame that the diamond is chipped, but I honestly doubt that anyone will ever pick it up if you dont tell.

And, you can always replace the diamond down the track , and still be ahead with the amount you paid for the setting alone.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. I really like it, especially now that the price is more appropriate.

I just love the way these old cuts have such different characters from each other! This one has a wonderful checkerboard scintillation--I love the way the evenly sized blocks flash light-dark-light-dark when I tilt it around.

And the style of the setting is so very 1920s. It's funny how big this setting and its sister setting (the one I have my Infinity in, the one I'm wearing with this new ring in the pictures on this thread) make the diamonds look. I love the brash, roaring 20s atmosphere of them.

I hope the original owner wore cloche hats in the day and peacock-feather headbands and mink stoles and short, fringed dresses in the evening. I hope she bobbed her hair and smoked cigarettes with a holder and danced the Charleston at speakeasies.

I wish the ring could tell me all about it.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I am glad you worked out a partial refund; that was quite reasonable of the seller. IMO, I would not mind the chip, especially since it looks prongable. And the price you paid was originally pretty good and with a refund even better. Yeah, it''s a biggish chip, but the stone is beautiful looking and I''ve never minded a few flaws in an antique piece. Two of my three OECs have chips- smaller than the one on your new piece, but so many antique stones have them I''m pretty forgiving if it doesn''t detract from the overall piece and the price is right.

Gorgeous setting too!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/10/2009 12:25:50 AM
Author: glitterata
Thank you. I really like it, especially now that the price is more appropriate.

I just love the way these old cuts have such different characters from each other! This one has a wonderful checkerboard scintillation--I love the way the evenly sized blocks flash light-dark-light-dark when I tilt it around.

And the style of the setting is so very 1920s. It''s funny how big this setting and its sister setting (the one I have my Infinity in, the one I''m wearing with this new ring in the pictures on this thread) make the diamonds look. I love the brash, roaring 20s atmosphere of them.

I hope the original owner wore cloche hats in the day and peacock-feather headbands and mink stoles and short, fringed dresses in the evening. I hope she bobbed her hair and smoked cigarettes with a holder and danced the Charleston at speakeasies.

I wish the ring could tell me all about it.

I love this description - poetry in motion. You''ve managed to capture exactly what it is that I love about my older pieces - the suspicion that any or all of them could have been bit players in a novel by Evelyn Waugh.

Though it goes without saying, I also love the ring - v. glad you found a reasonable compromise with the seller!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results