shape
carat
color
clarity

Traditional Cast Iron Radiators.., Yeah or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 5:49:18 PM
Author: Steel
Date: 12/4/2008 11:39:45 PM

Author: iluvcarats

We have them in our house which was built in 1926. The house used to be heated with oil, but we switched to natural gas. We kept most of the old radiators because they were charming and original to the house, but I don''t think that I would go out of my way to incorporate them into a new house. If you do though, you can have a piece of granite custom cut for the top and make a functional shelf out of it here and there.

Thanks for responding I luv carats. I am jealous of your rads! Bet you never thought you would hear that one in your life. That is the thing for me, I think they are charming too but at what cost, if they are not original. Any what if this is just a phase and I do not like trad rads in 5 years. Argh!

LOL Steel! That is one I have never heard before! We do love living in an old house though! Keep us posted on your choices!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Hey Steel, I posted a reply on your other thread as well.

Are you thinking of getting original traditional radiators or reproduction ones? I imagine repros will be more efficient. As far as I remember, noisy rads was an indication of trapped air and that they need "bleeding". As far as decorating goes, regular radiators can be un bolted and leaned forward. It''s probably more awkward with traditional cast iron ones. However, as I recall they generally stand on the floor as opposed to being bolted to the wall. You can get long handled skinny paint rollers that will get behind them. Why not consider putting wood panelling behind them in some instances.

My sister has repro cast iron radiators - very sexy indeed. I''ll fire off an e-mail to her and ask her where they are from.

I was pleased to see that you are in Ireland. I would definitely give Clearview Stoves (see other thread for a link) some consideration for your wood burner. I have seen them and sat in front of them, they are incredible.

As for the Baxi grate system I mentioned in the other thread, it throws out so much heat, you''ll have to turn your rads off throughout your house. We did and my hubby was still down to his boxers. Sometimes old technology takes some beating!

I also mentioned fuel cell boilers. Here''s a link to some info: http://www.cerespower.com/news/BritishGas25-08-05.htm

Keep me posted!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results