shape
carat
color
clarity

Trading Diamonds For Bigger Diamonds-No Cash!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if this has been discussed here before. I do not spend a lot of my Pricescope time on Rocky Talky and could very well have missed the discussion even if I did!

I want to know if it is possible, practically, to trade diamonds one owns for another diamond if one did not buy the first diamonds from a jeweler with a trade-up policy. I know that at least one Pricescope vendor says that he accepts trades. I want to know if a vendor will ever accept multiple diamonds in lieu of cash or if he is really, always, looking for cash.

I know that a vendor is in business to make money, not to trade diamonds. On the other hand, if diamonds come easy to him (although cash does not)...would it be painful for him to let go of, for instance, a 3 or 4 carat diamond in return for multiple diamonds from a consumer?

It is probable that the vendor would not have the 3 or 4 carat diamond in stock, especially if the consumer were a Pricescoper who wanted a special cut and good quality. So obtaining the diamond would not be easy as pie. He would want to demand some quantity of goods in return, I am sure. At what point would it become worth his while?

My question is hypothetical, but I could actually be in that situation. When I bought diamonds no one offered me a trade-up policy. I have a surfeit of them. I have been thinking that I might like one larger one...but I do not want to keep adding diamonds to my collection and I do not want to spend cash if I can trade diamonds for diamonds.

PS-My daughter is sharing this computer with me because only this one has a working printer and she needs it for a school project, so I keep getting interrupted! I wanted to ask for links to any old threads in which this topic was discussed if anyone knows of any threads in which it was previously discussed!

AGBF
34.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
short answer no

They would have to pay cash for the large diamond and then get paid back as the smaller diamonds sell.
That is not how the trade works.

You could sell them on consignment then take the cash once they are sold and apply it to a larger diamond.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Generally I agree with Storm.
There is a possibility for you is to trade up to a dealer, but you''ll have to accept a lot less than your stones would cost to replace.
Another possibility is if you are looking at a stone whose value is exponentially greater than your stones.
In such a case, the dealer will have more "wiggle room" on the deal.
This type of situation will be far more appealing to a seller that actually stocks diamonds, as opposed to one selling primary off a list- like Blue Nile.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All right. In light of what Karl and David told me (thanks, fellas!) I have dropped the idea of trading a couple of diamonds for another diamond. Now I am concentrating on from whom I will buy a diamond if I can buy it with cash-this time being sure I can upgrade in the future! I also want to see if anyone from whom I bought a diamond in the past will let me trade up one of the ones I have even though I didn't go into the purchase looking for such a policy. Among the places from which I bought diamonds worth more than a pittance are large companies that do business on the Internet, places into whose policies I never bothered to check.

Right now another problem I have is that I cannot find the kind of stone I want in anyone's inventory! (Not that I will be ready to buy for a year or so!)

AGBF
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results