shape
carat
color
clarity

Trade Up policy woes - is this normal?

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
I started the process of upgrading my existing diamond that was purchased from a well known vendor here on PS.

Never being happy with the size of my stone in relation to my larger hands I contacted the vendor to discuss my options.

Luckily I can receive full credit for what I paid but only on inventory diamonds. The inventory doesn't have any options available at this time that fit my desired criteria.

I'm really dismayed that the vendor doesn't give full credit of original purchase if they source in a stone. This means I need to wait for something to come into inventory. I'm very disappointed in the lack of motivation to help a returning customer who bought their diamond knowing this policy was advantageous for future upgrades.

Is this the norm?

I'm in a holding pattern and not sure how to get out of it. I'm trying to find ways to sell my diamond but there again the best option is to trade up with original vendor obviously.

I'm reluctant to name the vendor since I may be misreading the situation.

Any suggestions?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never heard this upgrade to "inventory diamonds" only. Have you gone back and re-read the upgrade policy? I think
you need to let us know who it is so we can notify future buyers that it is a requirement for upgrading. This is just as important as
needing to spend twice the amount, or having to upgrade two specs, etc. It's ok if that's the vendors rules, but we all need to
understand them.

We've also had times where the Sales Associates did not completely understand their own policies and misinformed the client
who wanted to upgrade. If that is the case it would also be good to get it straightened out.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trade-up for inventory diamonds is WF's standard policy. I believe they've had it in place for many years so it shouldn't be a surprise. If you purchased your stone many years ago, it probably went up in value so there's benefit of shopping around with other vendors to see how much trade-in money they'll give you for your stone. Otherwise, you're stuck waiting for a good option to pop-up in WF's inventory.

enotsreve

Rough_Rock
Just be happy if the vendor is whiteflash that they don't require you to spend twice the original amount in order to upgrade.

What are "inventory diamonds" by the way? What does "sourced diamonds" mean?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Normal?

There's that awful N-word again, with all it's good/bad baggage. :knockout:
Blond and red hair is not 'normal', but so what?

If we define normal as what occurs over 50% of the time ... then what is "normal" for diamond buying is to over-pay at a maul for a poorly-cut over-graded piece of frozen spit.

PS vendors offer tremendous value compared to this 'normal'.
Vendors can have whatever policies they want and it's up to us to read them carefully before buying.

Is this vendor not honoring their policy?
Does their policy need to be more clear?
If so, then I'd say that is an issue that needs to be addressed and you have a legit complaint.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen it before. I think GOG's policy is if you buy a "stock" diamond, you would trade up for a "stock" diamond, but they can change that per their discretion. I think it is totally fair. It's stated in their policies which are available for review on their website, and of which any buyer should be aware prior to making a purchase. If you don't like the policy, don't buy from them. Now if they never informed you and the information was not available, that is another story.

enotsreve said:
Just be happy if the vendor is whiteflash that they don't require you to spend twice the original amount in order to upgrade.

What are "inventory diamonds" by the way? What does "sourced diamonds" mean?

enotsreve is right. Be glad you don't need to spend 2x your original purchase cost.

Inventory is what they have on hand, in their store or their actual inventory. Source means they need to reach out to suppliers to obtain the stone.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
baby monster|1451576099|3968904 said:
Trade-up for inventory diamonds is WF's standard policy. I believe they've had it in place for many years so it shouldn't be a surprise. If you purchased your stone many years ago, it probably went up in value so there's benefit of shopping around with other vendors to see how much trade-in money they'll give you for your stone. Otherwise, you're stuck waiting for a good option to pop-up in WF's inventory.
Baby Monster,
As a member of the trade we are permitted to clarify specific policies that are discussed on the forum.

Whiteflash is extremely proud of our 100% lifetime trad-up policy. It is a very popular benefit that we offer and we have had customers going back 15 years now execute upgrades- some customers have taken advantage multiple times!

What makes our benefit unique in the trade is that it is a "no strings attached" benefit. You don't have to spend double, or go bigger, higher color/clarity, etc. The terms are simple- you get 100% of what you paid for the original stone applied to any other single stone. And you do not have to buy a stone from our in-house inventory- it can be a virtual inventory diamond.

The benefit is attached to purchase of an in-stock diamond. So if you later elect to trade up to a virtual, the new stone no longer carries the trade-up benefit forward. (the benefit used to be available only with purchase of our A CUT ABOVE brand, but several years ago we extended it to Expert Selection and Premium select as well).

The only caveat is that the original diamond be returned in original, undamaged condition. The wonderful thing is that diamonds are so incredibly durable that it is quite rare that there is even a chip or scratch on a diamond that we receive on trade-up. On those rare occasions the issue is usually relatively minor and we work with the client to get it repolished cost effectively so that they can complete their trade.

At Whiteflash we dislike too much "fine print". The simpler and easier to understand, and more customer-leaning, the better from a policy standpoint.

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1451588121|3968973 said:
Whiteflash is extremely proud of our 100% lifetime trad-up policy. It is a very popular benefit that we offer and we have had customers going back 15 years now execute upgrades- some customers have taken advantage multiple times!

What makes our benefit unique in the trade is that it is a "no strings attached" benefit. You don't have to spend double, or go bigger, higher color/clarity, etc. The terms are simple- you get 100% of what you paid for the original stone applied to any other single stone. And you do not have to buy a stone from our in-house inventory- it can be a virtual inventory diamond.

The benefit is attached to purchase of an in-stock diamond. So if you later elect to trade up to a virtual, the new stone no longer carries the trade-up benefit forward. (the benefit used to be available only with purchase of our A CUT ABOVE brand, but several years ago we extended it to Expert Selection and Premium select as well).

The only caveat is that the original diamond be returned in original, undamaged condition. The wonderful thing is that diamonds are so incredibly durable that it is quite rare that there is even a chip or scratch on a diamond that we receive on trade-up. On those rare occasions the issue is usually relatively minor and we work with the client to get it repolished cost effectively so that they can complete their trade.

At Whiteflash we dislike too much "fine print". The simpler and easier to understand, and more customer-leaning, the better from a policy standpoint.

This is a fantastic trade-up policy. Will definitely keep that in mind when buying my next diamond (damn this forum for getting me hooked...).

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
My vendor is Whiteflash and I think I'm unclear on the guarantee in regard to sourcing a stone since what I'm looking for is not in their inventory at this time.

I read the policy again.

My understanding Is they can and will source a diamond and still offer full credit for your original purchase but the new sourced diamond doesn't qualify for future trade up benefit.
What is the reason for voiding the trade up policy guarantee on a "sourced" or "virtual" selection?

Policy on Virtual Selection:

Diamonds in our Virtual Selection category and other diamonds that may be sourced for customers are not part of Whiteflash in-house inventory and are therefore not included in out Trade Up Guarantee.

I will call and get clarification since it looks like what I'm seeking in an upgrade will need to be brought in and I'm not sure they offer that service.

Thanks for the replies. A trade up policy is a great guarantee and at the time of my purchase I didn't pay much attention since I never thought I'd be upgrading.

Mrs T

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF's main inventory is ACAs, Expert Selections, and Premium Selections. These stones are all vetted which makes for easier
Sell. If you purchase a dawg with your trade in and then come back later to trade it in then Whiteflash is stuck with an unsellable dawg
In its inventory. Makes complete sense to me.

Have you talked to them about what you want to see if they can find a
ACA caliber stone to bring in for you?

Have you asked to see when some new inventory might be coming in?
It might be bad timing for upgrading because it's right after the holidays.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a reminder to carefully confirm trade-up policies and get everything in writing.

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
Hello and thank you for adding to this discussion.

Is it wrong to expect that they would look for something to bring into inventory that fits my criteria that would also fall into the trade up guarantee?

They must have vendors/suppliers who they trust to advise on particular stones that would be ACA or Expert. I wouldn't expect them to bring in a poor performing stone but one that matches their reputation for best optics. That's what I love about PS vendors. I feel confident purchasing from them and refer many young people to this site.

Really to be fair, what I'm looking for is a bit challenging. I've seen enough options on other vendor sites to know what I'm looking for exists and it certainly isn't impossible.

Maybe as one post mentioned inventory is low now after the holiday and perhaps will get stocked as they get ready for Valentine's Day.

Thanks again.
Mrs T

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very few vendors are going to offer trade up on a stone called in that wasn't selected for their inventory (especially those who specialize in certain types of diamonds). I know Good Old Gold doesn't always offer trade up on stones they source for people, either. They also only allow trade up for stones in inventory.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Y'all .... (he says sheepishly),
I had to come back to make an important correction to something I said above. (first the self-serving excuse) I wanted to respond to the topic before heading out on holiday so I failed to double check our published policy on the website. (this is not a convincing excuse since I am very involved in crafting the policy).

That said, we did make a change to our policy several months ago. Anytime a policy changes, the date of change appears at the bottom of the policy statement. In this case it was 3/06/2015. As of that date we do in fact, contrary to what I stated above, require that the new stone also be an in-stock diamond. My sincere apologies for the error and any confusion it caused.

It should be noted however that the terms that govern the benefit are those that are in effect at the time of purchase. Therefore, any Whiteflash diamond purchased prior to 3/06/2015 that was eligible for trade-up is not restricted to in-house inventory and CAN be traded for a virtual diamond.

In addition, as I did state correctly, we dislike "fine print" and we craft our policies so they are very straightforward, and to provide a standard structure that encompasses most of the activity being governed. But we never want to be a prisoner to that structure or exclude a customer from receiving a benefit when it makes sense for us to make an exception. In actual fact, even after 3/06/2015 we have continued to include lifetime trade-up on some virtual diamonds upon request, and upon a full review of the transaction. If the diamond is of a size, shape and quality that fits our current or projected buying patterns, we will often allow the trade-up benefit. Essentially, we must verify that the specifics of the diamond conform to our rather narrow market niche in the ideal and super-ideal realm, and our ability to stock it.

At the same time as we made this change, we also added a new trade-up benefit related to designer engagement rings! You can read the current policy here.
http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/whiteflash-policies/lifetime-upgrade.htm

I am sorry (and not just a little embarrassed!) for having misstated our own policy. And I apologize for any confusion it has caused. :oops:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOL! That's the trouble with small print, even the folks that create it can not remember it.

I liked your post Texas Leaguer, and the spirit in which it was made.

I hope you had a great week and welcome to the New Year!

Wink

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
TL wrote:
It should be noted however that the terms that govern the benefit are those that are in effect at the time of purchase. Therefore, any Whiteflash diamond purchased prior to 3/06/2015 that was eligible for trade-up is not restricted to in-house inventory and CAN be traded for a virtual diamond.

Great, you CAN select from the virtual selection. That is a great trade up policy. But, I need more clarification on the trade-up guarantee of a VIRTUAL stone. I hope I haven't misread but it sounds like it isn't eligible for the guarantee by virtue of having been brought in.

I'd benefit from contacting WF to discuss this further and will do so.

Thanks Texas Leaguer for making that correction.

MrsT

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1451945633|3970644 said:
Y'all .... (he says sheepishly),

I am sorry (and not just a little embarrassed!) for having misstated our own policy. And I apologize for any confusion it has caused. :oops:

Mate we're all human...and we've all been there at one time or another :lol:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mrs.T|1451953165|3970693 said:
TL wrote:

Great, you CAN select from the virtual selection. That is a great trade up policy. But, I need more clarification on the trade-up guarantee of a VIRTUAL stone. I hope I haven't misread but it sounds like it isn't eligible for the guarantee by virtue of having been brought in.

I'd benefit from contacting WF to discuss this further and will do so.

Thanks Texas Leaguer for making that correction.

MrsT
Yes Ma'am. If your original purchase was before 3/06/2015 and it was eligible for trade-up, then you can trade up to a virtual diamond if that is what you want. The virtual diamond will not be eligible for future trade-up by current standard policy, but if trade-up is important to you then talk to your Whiteflash diamond consultant and they will submit a request for an exception that will be evaluated by the leadership team.
Thank you for your understanding!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wink|1451950341|3970682 said:
LOL! That's the trouble with small print, even the folks that create it can not remember it.

I liked your post Texas Leaguer, and the spirit in which it was made.

I hope you had a great week and welcome to the New Year!

Wink
Thanks Wink. Maybe I should not have started on the Champagne quite so early in the day on New Years Eve. :twirl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I certainly would not expect a virtual stone to be granted an upgrade policy when a company specializes in superideal and ideal cut diamonds. They wouldn't want to take back stones that don't meet their standards as most people who shop there want the stones that are cut and selected to meet their strict brand specifications. It is pretty amazing to me that they are allowing people who bought prior to 3/15 to upgrade to a virtual stone!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1451955884|3970717 said:
I certainly would not expect a virtual stone to be granted an upgrade policy when a company specializes in superideal and ideal cut diamonds. They wouldn't want to take back stones that don't meet their standards as most people who shop there want the stones that are cut and selected to meet their strict brand specifications. It is pretty amazing to me that they are allowing people who bought prior to 3/15 to upgrade to a virtual stone!

I could see them letting you trade INTO a virtual, but not OUT OF one.

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
I see both sides of the policy with virtual stones.

If the virtual stone fits the standard for ACA or Expert then I think an exception is in order but not trying to argue about it because I do understand.

For me personally, this will be my last upgrade (as long as I do it right) therefore trade-up might not be an issue. If you only knew what birthday this upgrade is commemorating. At my pace I'll be in a nursing home for the next upgrade.

Darn this obsession for a larger stone!

I think we've cleared it up at any rate!

Thanks all.
Mrs T

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results