shape
carat
color
clarity

Trade in natural for lab

gmonte

Rough_Rock
I currently have a 0.8 asscher cut engagement ring purchased from blue Nile. I would like to upgrade to ~ 1.5 carat (give or take). I could go through Blue Nile and use their upgrade program but they don’t have lab grown diamonds in an asscher cut. I’m interested in lab grown diamonds this time around. Has anybody traded in a natural diamond for a lab diamond as an upgrade or trade up from a company that didn’t originally sell the natural diamond? I wonder if I’m better off selling the ring and using the money towards a whole new engagement ring. Right now the ring is set in a platinum band. I’ve also thought about changing the setting and keeping the diamond, unfortunately I’ve been having ring shrinkage :confused2:. With the asscher cut the diamond looks much smaller than then actual carat size and I would love to be able to see the step cuts more clearly. I’ve had the ring for 10 years and I guess I’m looking for a change and don’t know how to proceed.
I’ve attached the GIA report if anybody is interested in the specs of my current stone.

Thank you for reading my rambling thoughts!

Attachments

• 35772008-A2DE-44BC-B51E-F460957C303E.png
    35772008-A2DE-44BC-B51E-F460957C303E.png
    280.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I have not, but if you find a jeweler that works with both natural and lab stones it seems like it would be possible. However, I would consider keeping your original stone and resetting it- maybe a pendant? You may be able to find a stone at the 1.5 carat-ish mark within your budget in a lab stone without trading in. Have you browsed on Rare Carat?

gmonte

Rough_Rock
Yes, I’ve looked at rare carat and I’ve seen quite a few stones that I like.
I’ve also requested a quote on a reset from David Klass. I don’t know if it makes sense to reset the diamond in a different setting or just getting a bigger stone and and a simpler setting . He quoted just under $4000 for this beautiful setting (its expensive because of the custom cut stones). I’m in love with this ring! 7D07FDCF-522E-4DE1-9FDD-E8F2949729A3.jpeg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
If you're going to upgrade in the first place, I think you should be sure to not settle too much. I think it's better to get a lab diamond and setting that you really love, even if it means waiting a while longer.

About the original, I planned to sell mine to help pay for the upgrade but ended up just keeping it after seeing how little I'd likely get for it. I'm either going to have the diamond eventually re-set into another piece of jewelry or pass it along to one of my kids, if they want it for their own engagement or maybe some other milestone. Good luck. :)

Last edited:

gmonte

Rough_Rock
I think you should be sure to not settle too much if you're going to upgrade in the first place, with a lab diamond and setting that you really love, even if it means waiting a while longer.

About the original, I planned to sell it to help pay for the upgrade but just keeping it after seeing how little I'd likely get for it. I'm either going to have the diamond eventually re-set into another piece of jewelry or pass it along to one of my kids, if they want it for their own engagement or maybe some other milestone. Good luck. :)

Thank you! I’ve spent entirely too much time thinking about this! There is the sentimental value to my diamond as well...

Last edited:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I’ve looked at rare carat and I’ve seen quite a few stones that I like.
I’ve also requested a quote on a reset from David Klass. I don’t know if it makes sense to reset the diamond in a different setting or just getting a bigger stone and and a simpler setting . He quoted just under $4000 for this beautiful setting (its expensive because of the custom cut stones). I’m in love with this ring! 7D07FDCF-522E-4DE1-9FDD-E8F2949729A3.jpeg

That is really gorgeous and unique!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting project! It’s going to be hard enough to find an asscher lab you like so I wouldn’t try to tie the sale of your current diamond to the same vendor.
Under the Resources tab is a sell your diamond option. Doesn’t hurt to get an estimate of what it is worth. If the price gets you to your dream ring it may be worth it, but my gut says to keep it. It’s a nice diamond and would make a great pendant, bracelet, RHR, etc. Think if you may regret letting it go down the road.

gmonte

Rough_Rock
Thank you all, this is really helpful info!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you can do it try to keep your original. You will be sorry later you sold it.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
If you like the stone I think you should keep it. I traded in a stone and got very little for it but I wasn't happy with how it performed so wouldn't have wanted to do anything else with it. If you can see yourself being happy with it as a pendant or in some other piece then it might not be worth taking the loss. Have you gotten any quotes on it to get an idea of what you'd lose?

gmonte

Rough_Rock
Just an update. I think I’ve made a decision about my ring/stone. I’m going to upgrade to a bigger stone through blue Nile. The original purchase price was $2900. The new stone would have to be ~6,000. The lab diamonds I was looking at are about 5,000. I would love a 1.5 carat but I think with how much I want to spend in a similar quality stone it would be closer to 1.2-1.3 carats. I wonder if visually a 1.2 carat stone would look significantly big enough to notice a size difference from 0.8 carats. My ring size is a 4.5. The 1.5 carats on blue Nile are about $8000-9000. From what I’ve compared in rare carat blue Nile is more expensive (but if I go another route I’ll lose the credit from the original stone.)
After upgrading the stone then I would change the setting.
Decisions, Decisions

gmonte

Rough_Rock
If you like the stone I think you should keep it. I traded in a stone and got very little for it but I wasn't happy with how it performed so wouldn't have wanted to do anything else with it. If you can see yourself being happy with it as a pendant or in some other piece then it might not be worth taking the loss. Have you gotten any quotes on it to get an idea of what you'd lose?

I haven’t gotten a quote. The ring is being polished right now. I’m kinda scared to see what I would offered.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Just weighing in to say that the perfect Asscher (to yourself) isn't easy to find, so limiting yourself to BN might have you compromise on some aspect of the stone. If I had to choose a lab Asscher from James Allen, I would have had to have compromised on size as they didn't have a lot that sung to me. Might be worth seeing all the lab Asschers on offer elsewhere and compare prices. It might be worth trying to sell your ring privately and putting the funds towards the right Asscher from another vendor.

Also, yes, you'll notice a difference between the .8 and 1.2 ct Asscher though probably more if set as a solitaire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results