shape
carat
color
clarity

Tourmaline valuation

Lucas skye

Rough_Rock
Hi. I am after a valuation please. I have been advised that this is tourmaline by a gemologist. Measures 12mm x11.5mm estimated 7 carat. Could I get an idea of value? Thanks
20220602_095126.jpg

Attachments

• 20220602_095120.jpg
    20220602_095120.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220602_095115.jpg
    20220602_095115.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220602_095105.jpg
    20220602_095105.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220602_095055.jpg
    20220602_095055.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 26
Hello and welcome to the forum! If the stone is indeed natural tourmaline, it looks to be indicolite, as opposed to paraiba. Both are (usually) of the elbaite variety of tourmaline, but colored by different elements (indicolite, iron and paraiba, copper). It certainly is very vibrant and beautifully saturated.

It's been my experience that members are sometimes hesitant to offer opinions on value, especially to new posters. The reason being is simply that it's tricky, as subtle differences in color and clarity can dramatically affect the value (as well as the variety of tourmaline, as I previously mentioned). Since we don't have the benefit of evaluating the stone/ring in person, and we're not familiar with your buying habits or backstory, it's a bit of an exercise in futility. So I'm not sure you'll receive much useful info here specifically concerning value. Is the gemologist you visited a G.G.? If so, from which institution did he or she study? I wouldn't trust the advice of your average neighborhood jeweler. If you're seriously interested in pricing the piece, I would take it to an appraiser who is also a G.G. (accredited by the GIA, AIGS, or the like).

Good luck! It's a lovely ring!!

Lucas skye

Rough_Rock
Thank you. That is interesting. I have no idea of the gemologist's qualification or how they tested. I know that they were very quick testing it! They came back in minutes which I thought odd.

Thank you. That is interesting. I have no idea of the gemologist's qualification or how they tested. I know that they were very quick testing it! They came back in minutes which I thought odd.

If he or she is a G.G., they probably put it under a microscope (to look for telltale inclusions or the lack thereof) and used a refractometer (to measure refractive index, which is unique to different gems, synthetics, and simulants). Neither would take very long. I'd still want to know the person's qualifications though and if he or she did indeed perform any instrument testing, as opposed to just louping the gem. But it's a good start!

Also, indicolite tourmaline is one of the more valuable varieties of tourmaline. So if your stone is indeed a fine quality natural indicolite in the 7ct. range, you're looking at an important gem, IMO. Just for kicks, take a look at this indicolite from AJS, which is "only" 5ct...

Lucas skye

Rough_Rock
Also, indicolite tourmaline is one of the more valuable varieties of tourmaline. So if your stone is indeed a fine quality natural indicolite in the 7ct. range, you're looking at an important gem, IMO. Just for kicks, take a look at this indicolite from AJS, which is "only" 5ct...

Thank you. In that case I think I will get it properly tested with all my fingers and toes crossed! And then have it insured!

Thank you. In that case I think I will get it properly tested with all my fingers and toes crossed! And then have it insured!

I think that's the smartest way to proceed. I might even bypass a local G.G. or appraiser for now. You can remove the stone from the mounting or send it as-is to GIA or AGL (if you're in the US). They can test it loose or mounted. If it comes back as natural tourmaline, then maybe look into having it properly appraised (and insured). How exciting for you! Did you purchase the ring yourself or was it something passed down to you? I will cross all of my digits for you as well!! Please come back with a follow-up!
1237397y6kr97ild4.gif

Lucas skye

Rough_Rock
I think that's the smartest way to proceed. I might even bypass a local G.G. or appraiser for now. You can remove the stone from the mounting or send it as-is to GIA or AGL (if you're in the US). They can test it loose or mounted. If it comes back as natural tourmaline, then maybe look into having it properly appraised (and insured). How exciting for you! Did you purchase the ring yourself or was it something passed down to you? I will cross all of my digits for you as well!! Please come back with a follow-up!
1237397y6kr97ild4.gif

Thanks. I'm in UK so will try an appraiser here. I bought the ring used but was unsure on the stone. I will come back with a result . .

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just be aware that what a person appraises a gem for, is not always what it would sell for, or even close.

When I first started cutting stones, I paid to have a few appraised, these turned out to be fairly accurate if I moved the decimal place over one to the left.

I would think your stone would sell unmounted for $500 to $700 per ct. Now if you Tiffany selling it, then much more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results