shape
carat
color
clarity

Tourmalinated Quartz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
I guess it is not technically a "colored" stone as it seems to be clear with back inclusions, but does anyone have any info regarding it? I saw one on a website, and was instantly intrigued. How rare is it? any less or more expensive that other types of quartz, amethyst etc.?

The ones I saw seem to be included heavily in addition to the, i guess it is black tourmaline, any that have just the tourmaline inclusions, and not the other inclusions?

Does it facet well? seems to be mostly cab...

This photo came from http://www.gemhut.com, they have a few for sale.

Tourmalinated Quartz.jpg

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It''s black tourmaline (schorl) encapsulated in crystalline quartz. The quartz inclusions discussed in the other thread are in varieties of cryptocrystalline quartz (crystals too small to be seen, ''hidden''). It''s similar to rutilated quartz with encapsulated rutile crystals.

It occurs in very clean (except for the tourmaline!) crystals but the better pieces have much thinner threads of tourmaline than the example you posted. It''s usually cut into cabochons but can be faceted too. It''s not particularly valuable but is increasingly difficult to find due to the vast amount of crystalline quartz absorbed by the metaphysical market. Fine amethyst, citrine and ametrine are probably more expensive but supply and demand set prices.

Richard M.

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
Interesting. So is it supposed to have some kind of magical properties or something then? Fascinating.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don''t know about magic, but it surely is pretty if you asked me!

Inclusions in quartz mean allot for some folk and these stones - more in the form of desktop display than jewelry are quite appreciated. Few types of quartz are ;rare'' - just because there is so much of it everywhere. I am not aware how many sources of such tourmalinated quartz there are, but you can have it by the pound cheaply. Finding interesting pieces and attractive jewelry is yet another issue - that is likely more rare than the material itself by far... It has been used in jewelry for ages in every end of it, from wire wrap to VCA and Cartier.

This and the agate thread must have made it clear by now that I like these things...

Here''s one reason why, attached.
37.gif

The green grass in the cab below must be tourmaline. The wilted blades, no idea.

QuartzGrass.JPG

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
bump

beautiful!

any more of these?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results