shape
carat
color
clarity

Toronto Custom Jeweler Recommendations to set my diamond?

maddyb

Rough_Rock
With the help of some of you lovely posters, my diamond was purchased yesterday! A 2.01 Ct H Colour, SI1, GIA XXX that scored a 1.5 on the HCA. Wasn't expecting to go down the loose stone and take to a jeweler route so I haven't done much research. I'm picking it up next Saturday in Buffalo (to save on tax lol)

Can anyone recommend a good jeweler near Toronto or the GTA who can do a nice custom ring based off a picture/CAD imaging perhaps?. I want to find someone who will set the diamond in essentially an exact exact Tiffany Setting style, I've seen a few online but not close enough.

Thanks!

sharonp

Rough_Rock
Re: Toronto Custom Jeweler Recommendations to set my diamond

maddyb|1459520558|4014142 said:
With the help of some of you lovely posters, my diamond was purchased yesterday! A 2.01 Ct H Colour, SI1, GIA XXX that scored a 1.5 on the HCA. Wasn't expecting to go down the loose stone and take to a jeweler route so I haven't done much research. I'm picking it up next Saturday in Buffalo (to save on tax lol)

Can anyone recommend a good jeweler near Toronto or the GTA who can do a nice custom ring based off a picture/CAD imaging perhaps?. I want to find someone who will set the diamond in essentially an exact exact Tiffany Setting style, I've seen a few online but not close enough.

Thanks!

Why would you bother transporting back the loose diamond? Have it set in the US and bring back the whole ring.

blingmyring

Shiny_Rock

Hi, could you post a pic of your inspiration ring? Hopefully CharmyPoo will see this thread and provide input. I'm currently having a ring made by Sin Kim; it will be ready in about two weeks. Check out her Facebook page - it's a start while you wait for others to chime in.

Edited to Add: my inspiration is the Tiffany Soleste.......

blingmyring

Shiny_Rock

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock

Check out Edan Diamonds and Westrock Style.

maddyb

Rough_Rock

Great thanks lots of places to check out. My bf actually went to see Leif Benner on the weekend who I've found to be highly recommended through a number of online sources.... He had some beautiful stuff but priced the custom setting at $2,000 on 18k gold which is about a $1,000 more than 2 other custom places we checked. Not sure if that's a mark up that is worth it (and not sure if I want platinum or white gold because I've read a lot of pros and cons for each and am having trouble deciding).

Here is a pic of what I want to have made, I know it's a classic style that a lot of companies have a 'similar' style to offer but I want to find someone to make it exact. - I've read a lot of pros about using white gold but the actual Tiffany setting is platinum which makes me confused on what is best to choose. :confused:

Sharonp- I do not want to have it made I'm Buffalo because 1- the US/CAD exchange rate and more Importantly 2 - I want to be close for servicing purposes. And hey why not support local when you can.

_36930.jpg

H

HoneyBadger2

Thanks!
Can you tell me why you didn't end up buying the stone in Toronto? I'm asking because my BF thinks we can find what we want locally but I'm not so sure. I'm really particular with the cut and we want something fairly large so there are not many options where we can go find something on site to look at. He doesn't want to purchase something so significant online.

Thanks!

Shaylene1080

Rough_Rock
Can you tell me why you didn't end up buying the stone in Toronto? I'm asking because my BF thinks we can find what we want locally but I'm not so sure. I'm really particular with the cut and we want something fairly large so there are not many options where we can go find something on site to look at. He doesn't want to purchase something so significant online.

Thanks!

I'm in Canada (but AB, not TO) and found that, even with the crappy, crappy exchange rate, I can get a SIGNIFICANTLY better deal online, as well as so much more to choose from. I do understand your bf not liking the idea of buying online. It's nerve wracking spending thousands of dollars for something you haven't seen in person yet. I've been learning that as long as you go with a reputable site with pictures, video, ASET, ideal scope images, and a great return policy you should be ok.

H

HoneyBadger2

Thanks for your reply. Yes that has been my thinking as well - so much more to choose from on the Interweb LOL. Did you end up finding a local jeweler to set the stone?

EllieTO

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm also a Toronto girl, mostly lurking. I thought I'd chime in because I'm also looking for local jewellers to steer my boyfriend towards (either to buy the setting, or have one custom made). Out of the local vendors I've looked at (all listed above, and some others), I only like Sin Kim's style (and Edan, but I doubt we could afford him. LOL). Has anyone worked with her?

diamondseeking

Rough_Rock
I am from Toronto also. Edan's pricing is fairly reasonable for the quality he produces. I've tried working with local jewelers in Toronto- lots that are recommended on this board but even with the exchange rate its still cheaper to buy online ( with so much more variety especially with loose diamonds).

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm curious too. I work literally, in jewellery central, in downtown Toronto, but I still use US Vendors. I've used Bill Leboeuf for simple settings ( Hi Adam, you need an Uber bench..LOL) but for all detailed, fine work, I've always used US vendors. Have for years. I had, on a couple of occasions, gone to Platinum Unlimited up in Richmond Hill, but found that while they were good, they were quite expensive. Even with the dollar exchange, buying in the US was cheaper. I would say, for a simple Tiffany inspired solitaire, just go with the vendor. If you want a Stuller piece, Adam of Bill Leboeuf is quite reasonable.

Sharon, Royal Deverailles has some beautiful pieces but is definitely premium brand. I've been to their shop many times. Gorgeous pieces but not that friendly on the wallet. ;-)

Keep in mind, that most of the jewellers in Toronto will use a bench on either Queen Street or Victoria Street, but rarely do they do their own work. That's definitely in line with Birk's or Royal DeVersailles or most other jewellers.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread cause I sure would love to find an Uber bench in my own city. :)

Shaylene1080

Rough_Rock
O
Thanks for your reply. Yes that has been my thinking as well - so much more to choose from on the Interweb LOL. Did you end up finding a local jeweler to set the stone?

Oops sorry, I missed this. I'm guessing your question is directed at me - apologies if it's not. I'm not sure what we're going to end up doing about settings yet :)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm curious too. I work literally, in jewellery central, in downtown Toronto, but I still use US Vendors. I've used Bill Leboeuf for simple settings ( Hi Adam, you need an Uber bench..LOL) but for all detailed, fine work, I've always used US vendors. Have for years. I had, on a couple of occasions, gone to Platinum Unlimited up in Richmond Hill, but found that while they were good, they were quite expensive. Even with the dollar exchange, buying in the US was cheaper. I would say, for a simple Tiffany inspired solitaire, just go with the vendor. If you want a Stuller piece, Adam of Bill Leboeuf is quite reasonable.

Sharon, Royal Deverailles has some beautiful pieces but is definitely premium brand. I've been to their shop many times. Gorgeous pieces but not that friendly on the wallet. ;-)

Keep in mind, that most of the jewellers in Toronto will use a bench on either Queen Street or Victoria Street, but rarely do they do their own work. That's definitely in line with Birk's or Royal DeVersailles or most other jewellers.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread cause I sure would love to find an Uber bench in my own city. :)

CCHNurse: Gotcha. One of the reasons I mentioned Royal because one of the posters on this thread mentioned the dearth of "large" stones for viewing--and I know RDV would have many! Anyway, it never hurts to ask--perhaps they would not be so out for a simple setting...and it would be fun to window shop there....lol

cheers--Sharon

EllieTO

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'd like to clarify - you're all saying that even with the exchange rate it's better to buy in the US. Does this apply to just the diamond, or setting as well? Would there really be a significant difference in cost of settings? I'm not talking about a simple solitaire, but a more intricate pave setting. I'm quite picky and can't really find what I like in most online dealers' selection of settings, and would prefer to see and feel the quality and proportions of the setting in person, Vince Canera being probably the only exception.

Let's say I go with Vince Canera for both diamond and setting. I imagine his prices are on the higher side. Will the cost still be competitive compared to getting a diamond online (let's say JA or WF) and having it set locally? In other words, will the exchange rate offset the cost of a premium VC setting vs. paying the B&M mark-ups on a setting locally? Either way the diamond would likely come from a US online vendor.

I hope I'm not threadjacking, but this seems on topic with this thread and the OP doesn't seem to be around anyway.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sharon, when I used to live in Yorkville, I window shopped at RDV a lot! :love: They definitely have beautiful things. You're absolutely right, they may have more selection than other jewellers.

Starry, for me when I buy in the U.S it's because of trust & ease of transaction (buy & return). I found simple custom settings very expensive in Toronto & comparable settings were cheaper in the U.S. If you choose Victor for your setting, he is on the higher end of the spectrum. I'm not a stickler for hand forged & so I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it often saving quite a bit to get a casted or a semi casted piece. As for diamonds, the selection, better online information be it pictures or videos, are much better with US vendors. If there are any Canadian jewellers that have a site like James Allen, Enchanted Diamonds, Blue Nile etc..(that have non branded) inventory, I'd love to know about it. I do appreciate that Adam at Bill Leboeuf Jewellers makes an effort to be competitive with the U.S. He's a good resource for someone who wants to buy local & who is uncomfortable with online shopping. I've purchased many items from Damiani Jewellers in Woodbridge but never any diamonds. I love going there to get appraisals because they've always been impressed with my diamond prowess. LOL I bring in the AGS stones they seldom get. While I realize you can buy from Blue Nile, still find it cheaper to go through the US route. I'm interested in this thread because I really would like to find a great bench in my own city.

EllieTO

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the comments. While we're on the topic - what has been your experience with brokerage fees with FedEx or other couriers shipping diamonds/rings from the US? I'm fine with the HST, I know there's no duties, and I could deal with a flat rate brokerage fee, but I would hate to be charged a certain percentage of the value of the order as brokerage fees.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not able to answer your question about the brokerage fees as I've never had diamonds or jewelry shipped to Canada. I always drive to Buffalo & pick up at the Fed Ex depot there. Mainly because if there are any issues, of which I've encountered, & need to return the item, I can request the vendor to generate a label, & the item can be shipped back immediately without the hassle. Fed Ex in Canada only has a $1000 Can. limit for insurance & you need to purchase your own to cover anything more. I've never bothered to figure that out so I drive the 2 hrs to Buffalo. There are Fed. Ex offices that the vendor can email a label to, they print it for free & it's ready to tack on to the box. Since most shipments are overnight or 1 day, the boxes & tape are free. I did have a loose gemstone shipped to Ontario a few yrs ago & I do not remember any brokerage fees. I've purchased a couple of sapphire sets from Jeff Davies overseas & again, don't recall any brokerage fees. I did return the loose gemstone & thank goodness my brother gets 75% off at Fed Ex for being an airline employee which sure came in handy but the insurance was only up to $1000. Luckily the stone wasn't that expensive. I hope someone else who's had experience with shipped items to Canada will respond to your query. It would be good to know what shipping companies were used & if there were brokerage fees..ie: Fed Ex, UPS, DHL etc.

diamondseeking

Rough_Rock
@ccuheartnurse I am in the process of purchasing a loose stone from a new York vendor. I want them to ship it to the fed ex depot in buffalo so I can drive down (from Toronto) to pick it up. Will I incur any additional costs when I go to pick up the package? I've never done this before and it seems like a better option that flying to new York to pick up the loose stone. I'm just really trying to avoid any additional charges as I went over my budget on the stone (lol). What is the address for the fed ex depot? is it the one on 299 Cayuga Rd? Thanks for your help!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding any brokerage or customer clearance fee by FEDEX when importing diamonds from the US to Canada, it depends on the type of delivery service you purchase. Most vendors use higher-tier express or priority international shipping, which includes brokerage service. I have not paid any additional fee for shipment from Jame Allan or Brian Gavin. Just GST/PST/HST depending where you live.
I don't know anything about UPS and Canada Post/USPS.
Double check with the vendor and ask about the courier service they use.
If you use something like basic UPS GROUND (which no one should), they will ROB you when it comes to custom clearance.

if your vendor is shipping from NYC to Buffalo, there should not be any brokerage fee. You are not importing. But the shipment is within NY State, you may end up paying local sales taxes, which defeats the entire purpose of picking up your stone from the states.

Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there are any Canadian jewellers that have a site like James Allen, Enchanted Diamonds, Blue Nile etc..(that have non branded) inventory, I'd love to know about it.
In Canada, we don't have big players like JA and BN. Instead, there are small vendors who do similar things.
http://vancouverdiamonds.ca/diamonds/purchase-loose-diamonds
You can buy online just like you would at JA. Or, you can find a stone you like from the website, call and ask them to bring the stone in (no charge. But only one stone at a time) and visit the office, bring your IS scope, and inspect in person.
There are a few in vancouver. I am sure there are more in toronto.
The price is US price X the exchange rate.

I actually visited this particular vendor in vancouver. It was nice and will strongly consider this option for the next purchase, as long as I can find a decent stone in their database, which is obviously smaller than JA and BN.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've had several diamond/jewelry items shipped to Ontario from U.S. through FedEx. I never incurred any brokerage fees. I did occasionally have to pay duty on a piece of jewelry (ordered through Blue Nile), but never on a loose diamond. Jewelry is only duty free if it was actually manufactured in the U.S.(NAFTA). Of course I've always had to pay 13% HST, but you'd pay that if you bought locally too.

Moxie123

Rough_Rock
A lot of girls I know used Diamonds for Less on Shuter st. I has an appointment with (but ended up using another company), and they were very nice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results