shape
carat
color
clarity

Torn between DK and CvB for orange sapphire project

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Can I see the cads?

I’m feeling a bit beat down about the size of my ring. I don’t want any criticism of my CADs until after I see the molds. I’ll probably share in my other thread after I develop my own feelings about the molds.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
That's disappointing. Her bench does great work and she has some lovely designs in her portfolio. When I was considering something bespoke and new, my experience was the same, fwiw. When I have used an existing design, it was not that way and things were fine, with the normal slower speed expected. I'm sorry you were disappointed. DK will make a very nice piece. I would consider the weight projected. I have a ring that's a about 20 grams all in and it's very solid, but it's heavy.

Thank you for sharing that you had a similar experience. I feel like it would’ve been polite for her to at least respond and just tell me that she had changed her mind about taking it on. I would have understood since I was so particular about what I wanted. I definitely admire her work and was hoping to have another one of my stones set in one of her existing designs in the future. I’m sure I’ll get over it eventually but right now I’m feeling pretty snuffed. I’m actually feeling a bit beat down about the size of my ring. I do want something large and it’s not an everyday wear. The completed ring will weigh about 16 grams if I craft in platinum and leave the CAD as is.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m feeling a bit beat down about the size of my ring. I don’t want any criticism of my CADs until after I see the molds. I’ll probably share in my other thread after I develop my own feelings about the molds.

Aww why???

Of course you don't need to share anything you don't want to but please don't feel bad about the size of your ring!

I have an alien spaceship of a ring that's 2.5cm (about an inch) that I wear out often. It's a real hit with anyone who sees it because it's so epically big and awesome! It stands out! I love it!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing that you had a similar experience. I feel like it would’ve been polite for her to at least respond and just tell me that she had changed her mind about taking it on. I would have understood since I was so particular about what I wanted. I definitely admire her work and was hoping to have another one of my stones set in one of her existing designs in the future. I’m sure I’ll get over it eventually but right now I’m feeling pretty snuffed. I’m actually feeling a bit beat down about the size of my ring. I do want something large and it’s not an everyday wear. The completed ring will weigh about 16 grams if I craft in platinum and leave the CAD as is.

Don’t be down! I am sorry if I contributed to that. I don’t want you to be discouraged just want you to know what you’re getting. Don’t want any surprises when you’re spending so much, you know?

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Aww why???

Of course you don't need to share anything you don't want to but please don't feel bad about the size of your ring!

I have an alien spaceship of a ring that's 2.5cm (about an inch) that I wear out often. It's a real hit with anyone who sees it because it's so epically big and awesome! It stands out! I love it!

I’m just feeling like it might be a bit overboard. That’s what I was going for but I guess I’m just getting cold feet. I don’t mind sharing details but I just want to see the molds and come to my own conclusions first.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Don’t be down! I am sorry if I contributed to that. I don’t want you to be discouraged just want you to know what you’re getting. Don’t want any surprises when you’re spending so much, you know?

Oh no you’re fine and I appreciate it. I just think I’m getting cold feet about the size and being overly sensitive. The molds are already on their way so I just don’t want any criticism of the CAD until I see them if that makes since.

That's why these molds are imperative for certain designs... I remember the "olden" days of drawing the piece to-scale, cutting it out, and laying it on my finger. =)2:lol-2::oops2: Ahh 2023, there are certain things I love about you. So fear not, my dear. You'll know immediately what you're comfortable with or not once you see it in person. If you feel the current design is a bit too large, you can always keep the halo and just downsize the melee a bit. Even going from 2.5mm down to 2.2mm, for instance, makes a good bit of difference.

I hate being in limbo or undecided... not sure if that's an issue for you. I'm currently going through that with another project, and I won't feel good about it until we nail it down.
wack234.gif

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
That's why these molds are imperative for certain designs... I remember the "olden" days of drawing the piece to-scale, cutting it out, and laying it on my finger. =)2:lol-2::oops2: Ahh 2023, there are certain things I love about you. So fear not, my dear. You'll know immediately what you're comfortable with or not once you see it in person. If you feel the current design is a bit too large, you can always keep the halo and just downsize the melee a bit. Even going from 2.5mm down to 2.2mm, for instance, makes a good bit of difference.

I hate being in limbo or undecided... not sure if that's an issue for you. I'm currently going through that with another project, and I won't feel good about it until we nail it down.
wack234.gif

This is actually the first time that I’ve ever had DK send me a mold. I haven’t felt the need with any other projects. This is one that I definitely have to see on my finger. I’m very excited about it and hoping that I can easily make a decision on the halo size once I see it on my finger. I can and probably should lighten up the overall design but I just don’t want to. I’m hoping I get a better feel for that to. I’ll definitely share CADs and ask for help if I decide I want to change it.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is actually the first time that I’ve ever had DK send me a mold. I haven’t felt the need with any other projects. This is one that I definitely have to see on my finger.

Same here! Only wax I’ve ever had was on my navette cluster. It helped immensely.

Excited to see where this takes you!

rubyruby

Rough_Rock
You have a beautiful stone and I hope you’ll get the ring you want from whatever designer you go with.

I’ll add to the chorus that DK is great to work with: FWIW, he made the ring in my profile photo and it’s basically all teeny tiny claw prongs (except the center bezel of course), and I think they are perfect! Happy to give more details if you want them!

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Weighing in late here, but I’ve worked with both DK and CvB, and both experiences were great — excellent communication and beautiful pieces of jewelry. And I look forward to seeing your ring; that orange sapphire is to die for! :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results