shape
carat
color
clarity

Topaz Project Progress

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
After thinking it over and talking it over both with my husband and with Jeff White, I''ve settled on having two white topaz stones cut for my November birthstone memorial project for my sons. My husband felt strongly that the stones should be untreated, and I agreed. We also like the symbolism of a white stone for babies who died so young.

So, the next step is picking a shape. My husband likes the cut of this danburite which Jeff White did. The idea would be to have two next to each other either set in a bar setting (white gold? pink gold?) or with as minimal an amount of metal as possible and attached at each end to the chain.

Thoughts on this option? I stuck 2 pics of the danburite together to give you the idea.

Would you go minimal metal? Or chunkier?

jeffwhitedanburite.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the chunky inspiration, a ring from Tiffany with two tourmalines stacked on top of each other.

stackedtourmring tiffany.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
(totally irrelevant, totally gratuitous ... this came up when I was searching on the Tiff site for that ring and I just had to share.... HOLY SHMOOOO P''scopers! Would you look at these?!? ... Oh no. I was about to make a horrifically inappropriate joke about how I''d sell my first born for them... but I guess I''m going to have to expunge that joke from my vocabulary. What is with me and the gallows humor, anyway.)

tourmheaven tiffany.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
OK, back to the project at hand.

Another option would be something more delicate like the cut of this sapphire, again by Jeff White.

I''d then stack the stones vertically, kind of like the necklace in the next post.

jeffwhitesapphire.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Like this, but with two stones vertically... Or possibly I could find another coloured stone to set with them.

Thoughts?

ariapendanttiff.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking 7-8mm stones. Does that sound about right for this kind of project?

Being topaz, the cost of the material is really marginal. I understand the rough is sold by the pound.

Would welcome ideas and suggestions.

Also, what do you think about the pink gold idea to soften / warm it up?

dancingflame

Shiny_Rock
Wow, rose gold would be lovely. You don''t see rose gold necklaces every day. Personally, I would prefer the vertical stacked pendant, but it really comes down to what you like best. What a special project. Best Wishes!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Bear in mind that any colored metal will not only make the stones look warmer, but it will actually give them a colored tint, especially with more enclosed settings (flush, bezel...), so if you use for example yellow gold, stones will actually look slightly yellowish if settings are enclosed enough.

You have a lot of different ideas, so it''s hard to make something out of all that, but I''ll try to suggest some designs involving two stones.

There are variations of crossover rings that can serve as an idea for a pendant. Sometimes they contain one, sometimes two stones.

This yin-yang pendant is showed without stones, but I don''t see a reason why something similar might not be made with stones.

THIS is a symbol of eternity - not dificult to think of a zillion jewellery items which could incorporate this design and two stones.

And one more; marquise (navette) cut stones look like eye pupils so another nice symbolism is possible.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I think the idea of white topaz is great - and oing untreated. I prefer the cut of the second stone myself and think it would be less angular and therefore maybe more versatile.

If you were wanting to incorporate some coloured stones, what are your and your DH''s birthstones?

Don''t worry about the gallows humour - I''m sure it''s healthy.... or something (can you tell I''m a big fan myself???
1.gif
)

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Hello Indy

I was one who read your story quietly in the background, as I don''t know you. But, I thought of you often, in your quiet graceful way of dealing with everything, and felt my tears falling when your precious boys came too early.

Your thoughts and ideas on this wonderful piece of jewellery are beautiful. It will be a stunning and very precious piece to wear close to you always.

I recently bought a pair of white topaz, in a concave cut, from Gary Dutton - and they are so so beautiful. White topaz has a ''quiet grace'' about it. It seems to glow and shimmer, and if anyone can cut you ''graceful'' stones, then Jeff will, I am sure...his stones are so so lovely.

Something made me just do a little search, seeing you post the asscher cut danburite...remembering a stone cut - and I found it. I think the name of the cut might resonate with you...and the number of the facets, which I didn''t know about. It''s a stunning cut, and I wonder if it would lend itself to topaz? or indeed to what you seek?

http://www.princecut.com/

http://www.diamondsourceva.com/Education/Shape/diamonds-shape-princecut.asp

Whichever you choose, it will be beautiful.

take good care - to you both

1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2008 8:16:08 AM
Author: Independent Gal

Another option would be something more delicate like the cut of this sapphire, again by Jeff White.

I''d then stack the stones vertically, kind of like the necklace in the next post.
HI:

Do you mean, on point? (corner, or tip to tip)?

cheers--Sharon

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not read your story, but I have to say I am so sorry for your loss.
39.gif
What a beautiful idea to make a piece to wear close to your heart and honor the precious lives of your sons. I think those asscher cut stones would be just lovely made into the trilogy pendant posted using a colored stone in the middle. Keep in mind, if you are going for a 7mm size range, that may take up some serious neck real estate....
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I adore asscher cuts, I actually prefer the softer look of the second cut. White untreated topaz carries a wonderful meaning and is an excellent choice! I like that it gives the idea of being pure and untainted.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2008 8:16:08 AM

I like this cut for a necklace, and I love the idea of rose gold--especially softer 18k.
White topaz is a great choice--glad you decided on something that is lovely and meaningful. I too think it would be neat to incorporate your own birthstones into the necklace.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies.

Ma Re, those are some interesting ideas for putting the stones together. Thanks for that!

Pandora, I like the idea of using DH''s birthstone, and have asked Jeff about an aqua.

Pwendyp, thanks for your kind thoughts.... I had fun on the website you linked. I like the prince cut, but even more, love another cut on that site... the ''lucere'' but had forgetten about it. I gather its proprietary though. Phooey! I''ve seen a lucere diamond in real life and it was STUNNING.

Canuk, I meant one on top of the other in terms of vertically, bt I really love the idea of putting them on point... I''ll be considering that.

Cushioncut, that''s a great point about the stones being sizeable... I think 7mm would be as big as I could go without it looking too flashy. most of the time, I''m going to wear it next to my skin, under my clothes but sometimes I''ll want to wear it on top too.

Coati and Chrono, I''m convinced the cushion brilliant is the way to go and have told Jeff as much. Probably, I''ll go with the pink gold, depending on whether I use a third stone and what colour it is. I''ve asked about an aqua (my DH''s birthstone).

Thanks everyone. This project is now underway. I''ve put my ''order'' in with Jeff, and I have a decent idea about the setting. There is a master bench jeweler in a town nearby who can make it for me. I''ve seen his work and it is excellent. So now I just wait for Jeff to cut the stones, pick a possible third one, and then away we go. I''ll keep you posted.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
This captures better the kind of design I''m thinking of, but instead of pearls, there would be the two topazes and then the third stone.

tifftopaznecklaceidea2.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Similar notion with gemstones, also by Tiffany. Again, setting the two cushion cut topaz stones one on top of the other with a third stone... an aqua?... underneath. The size difference would be smaller, between the topaz and the third stone.

What do you think?

tifftopazidea3.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a beautiful idea Indy! And rose gold would be beautiful. The two stacking stone idea made me think of this necklace from Tiffany''s which I love:

tiffnecklace111.jpg

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea - it would such a wonderful keepsake for you. I was wondering what you thought of doing a N-S-E-W setting for your stones? It''ll be like a star shining for you. Here''s a picture with three stones (incase you decide on having a stone for your hubby too):

threestars.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 3:11:20 PM
Similar notion with gemstones, also by Tiffany. Again, setting the two cushion cut topaz stones one on top of the other with a third stone... an aqua?... underneath. The size difference would be smaller, between the topaz and the third stone.

What do you think?

Love this idea! I think it will look beautiful with an aqua combined with the topaz.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2008 8:18:43 AM
Like this, but with two stones vertically... Or possibly I could find another coloured stone to set with them.

Thoughts?

Hi Indy,

I like the idea of the necklace, but with three stones, one being you, with your boys. Like they''re up above you, always.

I hope you''re doing well!!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies! Jeff says he has a small aqua in a great colour. So I may go that way (topazes for my sons, an aqua for my husband). He''s concerned about the potential size difference so I''m waiting to hear about that, and to see a picture of the rough.

It''s good to be busy with projects.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know how you'd do it, but I think it might be nice to incorporate your and your hubby's birthstones with the piece.

edit: should have read ahead. :)

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi IG, I think this is such a sweet project and something you''ll always cherish. What about a necklace like this? You could do one asscher/or cushion on top, one on bottom and maybe a tiny round aqua in the middle.

tiff necklace idea.jpg

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Indy what an amazing piece to commemorate your precious boys. I thinks it would be stunning. I love the necklace that Assher_girl has shown.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
IG,
Kudos to you for your strength and ability to maintain a sense of humour! This is a wonderfully symbolic project. I have to run, but will be back to help in any way I can.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
no matter what you decide to do with this project it will be gorgeous and eternally precious to you! i also really like the bezel tiffany necklaces posted, i think the mix of white topaz and aqua will be lovely.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
What an important project. I hope your necklace brings you some peace and no doubt remains a beautiful physical reminder of your precious boys forever.

Warm Regards Sharon

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful idea to have a treasure to wear as a memorial to your precious sons. I am so sorry about your loss. I like the white topaz / aqua idea.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 7:41:26 PM
Author: asscher_girl
Hi IG, I think this is such a sweet project and something you''ll always cherish. What about a necklace like this? You could do one asscher/or cushion on top, one on bottom and maybe a tiny round aqua in the middle.

Ooooh, A_G, I absolutely love that pendant. Great idea! I think this kind of design is now my top choice. My husband likes the idea of having the stones right next to each other because my sons were so physically close in the womb, were born almost simultaneously, and are buried together. But it is important (so I''m told) for us to keep in mind that they were two separate persons who, despite being identical twins, would have grown up with two separate personalities, two separate lives. They were not two parts of a single whole. So I actually think identical stones, on either side of an aqua, would be symbolically perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results