shape
carat
color
clarity

Top color aquamarine..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2010 1:08:01 PM
Author: Swala
IndyLady,

The darker the better; aquas are never too dark... Pure blue, without yellow, without green, is what you should be looking for. That''s mainly why they are heated by the way.
Aquas should be clean.

Good luck!
That''s ideal, but the greener ones are coming back in style again, and I much prefer them. I don''t want a stone that looks like a greyish bue topaz.
14.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2010 12:18:54 PM
Author: Gailey

Date: 4/8/2010 12:02:45 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Indy,
These are ideal aquas. Why, do you ask? Well, look who''s wearing them. She also has a brooch, earrings, a bracelet and a tiara to match. These were given to her by the state of Brazil as a gift.
That''s my Mum! If I''m good she let''s me borrow them once in a while!
Okay Anne
2.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
here is some natural unheated aqua..the pile on the left is the sea-green color.. the parcel had blue and greens but most were that sea-green color..sold the blues already..had a little pile of those..still have some of the greens and a bunch of the natural sea-green colors..all unheated from Northern areas pakistan

sea-green 23fg.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I also prefer the greenish blue shades in aquas. So pretty. OUpeargirl''s is a great example.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2010 12:59:53 PM
Author: Kismet
Date: 4/8/2010 12:22:26 PM

Author: Gailey

Date: 4/8/2010 12:58:11 AM

Author: IndyLady

A little. Kismet''s milky aqua cab and Ellen''s Leon, and Bob Kast''s new aquas got me really interested in aquas. I''d seriously love a milky cab like Kismet''s.
Ooh, I''ve seen a nice milky aqua cab, just this week.

http://www.gemstone.de/

Horrible website, you have to go through all of the stones one by one. Good job it''s nice eye candy.

The sugarloaf one? That is pretty sweet.

ETA: Once you page through the newer gems, it''s mostly in alphabetical order so it''s not too far to get to aquamarine. Good thing you''re not looking at zircons. :)

Are prices by request only?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2010 11:54:36 PM
Date: 4/7/2010 11:48:11 PM

Author: amethystguy

sigh..lol..one day i am going to sneak to your house and fill your car with aqua crystals..ahahahahah

I have several already, it''s my birth stone, and I never wear them.
14.gif

Here''s my 8 carat I never wear. Too grey for my taste. My cuprians are far more saturated.

If you''re looking for some darker toned stones, paraibainternational.com and africagems.com has a large and expensive selection. Check AJSgems.com too. Sorry to put a damper on things, aqua is one of my least favorite stones and I always try to talk people out of them. LOL! I''m bad.
11.gif

TL, you don''t like that aqua?!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2010 4:26:38 PM
Author: IndyLady

Date: 4/7/2010 11:54:36 PM

Date: 4/7/2010 11:48:11 PM

sigh..lol..one day i am going to sneak to your house and fill your car with aqua crystals..ahahahahah

I have several already, it''s my birth stone, and I never wear them.
14.gif

Here''s my 8 carat I never wear. Too grey for my taste. My cuprians are far more saturated.

If you''re looking for some darker toned stones, paraibainternational.com and africagems.com has a large and expensive selection. Check AJSgems.com too. Sorry to put a damper on things, aqua is one of my least favorite stones and I always try to talk people out of them. LOL! I''m bad.
11.gif

TL, you don''t like that aqua?!
I don''t like any blue aqua. I used to like aqua, until I saw blue cuprians!
30.gif
I bought that stone around 15 years ago. My tastes have changed quite a bit since then.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Cuprians are gorgeous, but I still like the subtlety of a paler aqua.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been told I'm crazy for seeing grey in some aqua, including my own, but I do. Sorry this photo is so large, but if I size it down, you lose color, so I couldn't get the full stones in, but at least you can see how they compare in color. Both stones are around the same tone, same primary color of blue. Tell me you don't see grey in my aqua now. Even though the cuprian has a touch of green, it's still more saturated than the aqua. The difference is even more striking IRL. The cuprian has a blue glowy color whereas the aqua just stays flat. Coupled with the low RI, it's not very attractive to me. Some people like a more subtle, less saturated blue color though. The nice thing about aqua, and all beryls, is their density. They have low density, so they face up huge. The aqua is only about a carat larger than this cuprian, but it faces up much larger. That being said, there are some cuprians with grey masks, but you can find them without. I have never seen an aqua without a grey mask, and I've seen so many in my life, even the deep dark Santa Maria ones, and they all have grey.

cuprianaquacompare.JPG

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
we can thank iron for that too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2010 11:26:27 PM
we can thank iron for that too.
2.gif
25.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2010 11:34:19 PM
Author: Harriet
Santa Maria in Brazil is one of the most famous localities for aquamarine. I believe the mines are closed, though.

Are there any vendors that still sell Santa Maria aquamarine? IIRC, LD has an aqua cab that is Brazilian.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I can't figure out the whole santa maria thing..those stones i thought were mined back in the 70's and have since played out a long time ago..sure now it's used on other aquas but getting technical it should only apply to the santa maria mine..oh..wait..paraiba from nigeria and mozambique
2.gif
..those aquas i linked at ebay come from the mimoso del sul mine..one of supposedly only 3 aqua mines in the world that produce that deep a color aqua with the 2 being in brazil..just what i have heard

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
There''s one aqua I''d like to see for myself- it''s the one pictured in Richard Wise''s book Secrets - it''s beautiful! I also like the Lagoon Beryl, a kind of aqua/emerald with the chromium and vanadium of emerald and the iron of aqua but with the blues predominant.

lagoonberyljpg.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s much prettier than most aqua I''ve seen. It has more saturation, but I don''t think it''s colored by iron (DON''T QUOTE ME ON THAT!!). There is some green beryl that is quite beautiful too, not emerald, but a green version that is colored by some other chromophore, but I''m not sure which. It looks like neon blue/green tourmaline.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
wow..that is dang cool..it''s like a hybrid..or a cyborg beryl..lol..very cool..never heard of those or that before..thanks for the post and pic!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Dyer himself wrote about that stone and it's composition on Pricescope at one time. Here's the link if anyone is interested. It has the iron content, but also chromium and vanadium. I remember I took issue with the name of the stone!! LOL!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/john-dyer.103291/

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
LOL..thats my TL
2.gif
..sounds like swamp creature..LOL..sure would like some of that stuff..the hybrid stone

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not a huge fan of aquamarine either, just because it''s usually so pale. I do like the color in the last ring that was posted though, but it''s probably a rare and expensive specimen.

Personally, I think the color of my blue tourmaline would also be my ideal aqua color, but it''s much cheaper to find in a tourmaline.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
All,

As I think Tourmaline lover pointed out, aquamarine is grading based on tonal variations of its blue hue. So, in theory, the darker the better. This makes a certain amount of sense given the saturation gamut of blue (see Secrets Ch.3). I have a few of these stones they are usually called Santa Maria Africana in the trade. Unfortunately stones above 50% tone almost always show a distinct gray mask. In his ColorScan grading system, Cap Beesley identified a moderate blue (note I didn't say grayish blue) of 70% tone as ideal.

I prefer a medium (50%) tone blue without gray to a dark grayish hue. I will tell you that aquas of this description are truly, truly rafe, much rarer than emerald. I recall sitting for two weeks in Brazil reviewing stone after stone and not finding a single one worth buying. So if you can find one at any reasonable price it is a bargain considering the international wholesale price.

Tourmaline Lover's stone (shown above) is nothing short of magnificent! It is not too dark, maybe 60% tone and an almost unreal saturation. Is the image an accurate depiction?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2010 3:12:31 PM
Author: Richard W. Wise
All,

As I think Tourmaline lover pointed out, aquamarine is grading based on tonal variations of its blue hue. So, in theory, the darker the better. This makes a certain amount of sense given the saturation gamut of blue (see Secrets Ch.3). I have a few of these stones they are usually called Santa Maria Africana in the trade. Unfortunately stones above 50% tone almost always show a distinct gray mask. In his ColorScan grading system, Cap Beesley identified a moderate blue (note I didn''t say grayish blue) of 70% tone as ideal.

I prefer a medium (50%) tone blue without gray to a dark grayish hue. I will tell you that aquas of this description are truly, truly rafe, much rarer than emerald. I recall sitting for two weeks in Brazil reviewing stone after stone and not finding a single one worth buying. So if you can find one at any reasonable price it is a bargain considering the international wholesale price.

Tourmaline Lover''s stone (shown above) is nothing short of magnificent! It is not too dark, maybe 60% tone and an almost unreal saturation. Is the image an accurate depiction?
Richard,
Surely you''re not talking about the partial image of my ring at the very top of this page? That''s my aqua, and it is an accurate depiction of the color.
14.gif

The gorgeous concave cut round gem above is not mine
39.gif
, if that''s the stone you''re truly talking about, but it is probably one of those very very rare aquas that you mention. I forget the owner (sorry), but her name is in the link that LD provided.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
My gosh, check out Yingh''s aqua..

yingsaqua.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
Thank you for the aqua link. That concave aquamarine is one of the most saturated I've seen!
30.gif
Perfect rich medium blue with hardly any gray undertone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a pretty typical aqua, nothing out of the ordinary, and a bit light in tone.[/URL]

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This stone in my avitar was one of the nicest Aqua''s I''ve cut. This one was from Mozambique, concave cut. Not sure who purchased this one, but I''d love to have it back.

457Concave.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2010 9:13:41 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
This stone in my avitar was one of the nicest Aqua''s I''ve cut. This one was from Mozambique, concave cut. Not sure who purchased this one, but I''d love to have it back.
Very nice aqua Gene. How big was it? I haven''t seen you cut that design ever again, have you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results