shape
carat
color
clarity

Tools for identifying gemstones in this harlequin necklace (novice)

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
Last year, my husband gifted me this beautiful necklace for our 15th wedding anniversary. It's Victorian, 9k gold, and features roughly 120 semi-precious gemstones. When it was sold, my husband was given a non-specific list of the included gemstones (topaz, tourmalines, garnets, citrines, and amethysts). Getting each stone sent to a lab is just not feasible. I would like to try to get an (rough) idea of what they are. I thought this might be the perfect opportunity to learn more about gemstone identification. I know it's incredibly complex and takes years of training, but I have to start somewhere. :) I previously picked up a loupe, chelsea filter, and dichroscope. I've read quite a bit (online and in books) and it seems like I require a refractometer. Can I get away with an inexpensive (~$100) one for my purposes? Also, I've read mixed reviews on the Presidium Gem Tester II. Would it work adequately for someone like me?

My love and appreciation of jewelry (and learning, in general) was inherited from my grandmother who just passed away. In fact, our very last conversation was about how I used to play in her jewelry box for hours as a child. Anyway, I'd like to learn a bit more in her memory. I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thank you for all of your kindness!

Necklace.jpg Necklace2.jpg

Last edited:
What a lovely piece... and you wear it well! What makes it extra special is that it was gifted to you by your DH. He did a great job. :appl: But, yeah, it's nearly impossible to venture a guess with any type of accuracy. If the stones are indeed natural, you likely have a mix of garnets, tourmalines, peridots, topazes, quartzes, and maybe even some beryls or zircons.

If you're interested in gem identification, you may want to look into taking a course or two at the GIA (they have distance learning, but some courses do require on-site labs). You can own all of the basic instrumentation, but without training as to how to use it or what to look for, it may be tricky.

Here are some of the typical tools:

~Loupe and microscope (for studying crystal structure and inclusions, etc.)
~Diamond tester (I don't know of one for colored stones)
~Dichroscope (separates the colors in pleochroic materials)
~Polariscope (tests double/single refraction)
~Refractometer (measures refractive index)
~Spectroscope (measures absorption spectrum)
~Heavy liquids/scale (for measuring specific gravity/density)

Good luck and enjoy your beautiful necklace!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last year, my husband gifted me this beautiful necklace for our 15th wedding anniversary. It's Victorian, 9k gold, and features roughly 120 semi-precious gemstones. When it was sold, my husband was given a non-specific list of the included gemstones (topaz, tourmalines, garnets, citrines, and amethysts). Getting each stone sent to a lab is just not feasible. I would like to try to get an (rough) idea of what they are. I thought this might be the perfect opportunity to learn more about gemstone identification. I know it's incredibly complex and takes years of training, but I have to start somewhere. :) I previously picked up a loupe, chelsea filter, and dichroscope. I've read quite a bit (online and in books) and it seems like I require a refractometer. Can I get away with an inexpensive (~$100) one for my purposes? Also, I've read mixed reviews on the Presidium Gem Tester II. Would it work adequately for someone like me?

My love and appreciation of jewelry (and learning, in general) was inherited from my grandmother who just passed away. In fact, our very last conversation was about how I used to play in her jewelry box for hours as a child. Anyway, I'd like to learn a bit more in her memory. I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thank you for all of your kindness!

Necklace.jpg Necklace2.jpg

wow it is just so lovely :appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:
the Victorians were very good at pretty:kiss2:
your hubby did good
i hope you get tons of wear out of it

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
What a lovely piece... and you wear it well! What makes it extra special is that it was gifted to you by your DH. He did a great job. :appl: But, yeah, it's nearly impossible to venture a guess with any type of accuracy. If the stones are indeed natural, you likely have a mix of garnets, tourmalines, peridots, topazes, quartzes, and maybe even some beryls or zircons.

If you're interested in gem identification, you may want to look into taking a course or two at the GIA (they have distance learning, but some courses do require on-site labs). You can own all of the basic instrumentation, but without training as to how to use it or what to look for, it may be tricky.

Here are some of the typical tools:

~Loupe and microscope (for studying crystal structure and inclusions, etc.)
~Diamond tester (I don't know of one for colored stones)
~Dichroscope (separates the colors in pleochroic materials)
~Polariscope (tests double/single refraction)
~Refractometer (measures refractive index)
~Spectroscope (measures absorption spectrum)
~Heavy liquids/scale (for measuring specific gravity/density)

Good luck and enjoy your beautiful necklace!!

Thank you for the thoughtful response! I am absolutely considering taking some GIA courses. I've looked in to the AJP to start. My only hesitance right now is the time limitation (each course needing to be taken in three months). I have a young child and things can be unpredictable. I wonder if anyone has any experience with the course offered by Chris James Gems? I was thinking it might be a decent starting off point.
I only have three of the tools you listed: loupe, diamond tester, and dichroscope. I find myself sitting with my few tools and my jewelry every day and inspecting them. i enjoy it so very much. I would love to pick up a microscope next!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for taking the time to respond!

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
wow it is just so lovely :appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:
the Victorians were very good at pretty:kiss2:
your hubby did good
i hope you get tons of wear out of it

Thank you! He did a wonderful job! I always thought Art Deco was my favorite era, so I was surprised to find that when I took inventory of my jewelry I primarily own pieces from the Victorian era. I agree that they were VERY good at pretty!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
This is fantastic, @HisMrs ! It's so beautiful, and it looks so beautiful on you.

I just got a Victorian harlequin set too and am interested to hear how your gemological adventures are going. Mine came with the stones ID'ed, but I would love to learn how to ID stones myself.

Last edited:

HisMrs

Rough_Rock
This is fantastic, @HisMrs ! It's so beautiful, and it looks so beautiful on you.

I just got a Victorian harlequin set too and am interested to hear how your gemological adventures are going. Mine came with the stones ID'ed, but I would love to learn how to ID stones myself.

Hi! Took a look at your thread! Beautiful! Amazing!

My gemological adventures are on pause as life has picked up a bit. I purchased a *gasp* presidium gem tester to scratch the itch a bit, but definitely need to pick up better tools. I will let you know! So lucky to have your gemstones IDed!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results