shape
carat
color
clarity

Too small?

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 6mmish (maybe 6.3) - .90 ct round pink tourm and a couple of small (2.3-2.5mm) nice quality round diamonds that I'm considering trying to put into a ring. My concerns are...

1. is that too small? It's going to be on a large finger ;( at approx 7.25-8.0.
2. if it's not too small, what type of setting style should I go with? The only thing I'm set on for sure is having it done by DanielM. I :love: his work, particularly the claw prong settings I've seen. I think that style with have to wait for me to get a larger stone though. The tourm also has some inclusions on the pavilion, so I'm considering bezel for the center and maybe using the small diamonds as "surprise" side stones? I'm just lost with this part!
3. whatever I do decide on, will rose gold work for it?

I'll try to upload some pics once I get some decent ones of the stones all together.

Thanks!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've recently come to the conclusion that bigger isn't always better. If you love the color of your toum, then I bet it would pack a big punch in whatever setting you put it in.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think a .9 carat is respectable, but it's up to your personal preference.

If you keep with the stones that you have, and if a couple really means 2, you could put 1 surprise stone on each side, under the main stone. If you mean that you have several small stones, you could put 3 on each side to make a triangle on either side of the center stone, to give the effect of a three stone setting.

If you would like to make it look larger, you may need to buy more stones. A halo would look blingy, but the workmanship is costly. A three stone setting would achieve more finger coverage, with a classic look (sidestones of .2 carat each would be a good proportion.)

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Only you can decide for yourself if that is too big or too small. make the decision BEFORE you set it.

I got my SO a tiny little 0.53ct stone, but I'm sure she'll be thrilled with its SIZE, and she will think it is big enough, even before anything else lilke colour etc.

Oh, it shouldn't have to be something you need to 'convince' yourself on, or 'psyche' yourself into believing. You just need to know Yes, too small, or no, big enough for sure. Then proceed to setting.

Otherwise every other day you'll be wondering if it is too small.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it will be too small, but you can always go with a halo or bezel to increase finger coverage. Or perhaps a setting with side diamonds.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think 6mm is too small at all - I wear 6mm solitaires on an 8.75 finger - while I have a preference for larger stones, it is a reality that some stones I buy have to be in the smaller mm size to fit my budget - but as I buy only what is exceptionally pleasing to my eye, for me it is worthwhile to set these smaller stones.

So, if your pink tourmaline is pleasing to you pretty much in any light even when it is just balanced on your fingers, I think you will be happy with it mounted into a ring. If you're still considering bezels, DanielM has several beaded-bezel ring designs ranging from simple (http://www.etsy.com/listing/62445446/so-stackable-beaded-blue-lace-agate-ring) to more elaborate (http://www.etsy.com/transaction/48889322) which could add a little finger coverage... or you could do a three-stone bezel ring and use your diamonds, maybe with two-tone metal and/or milgraining the bezels?

If you're really not sure about whether your pink tourmaline is too small for you to set and wear, go browse a local jewelry store and try on some rings -- you could even bring along your loose tourmaline so you can eyeball it for size comparison.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big or small is a matter of perspective; I know ladies who think a 3 ct stone on a size 4 finger is too small and those who think a 1 ct stone on a size 9 finger is too big.

1. There are various setting styles which can give the illusion of the stone being larger than it is. Sidestones will add width, halos will add overall increase, certain types of prongs (ribbon, bezel, fishtail, etc) and also add width.
2. The type of setting will also depend on the tone of the stone. If the stone is a medium dark tone, I advise to stick to prongs. Also, if the saturation isn't good (pale or light), bezeling it might make it appear grayer/browner.
3. Depending on the hue, either rose gold, white or yellow might work. Pictures that are as accurate as possible will help in determining which will be the best choice.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all of the suggestions and thoughts! I don't think the center stone is too small. I do worry about the diamonds though. I wish they were 3-4mm, then I think it'd be perfect. So maybe I need to peruse for some side stones. :Up_to_something:

I loooove fishtail prongs and I'm pretty fond of the milgrain (sp?) bezel idea. Hmmmm, many options. I definitely am happy with the color of the stone in all lighting conditions. It's very pretty! Not too dark, not brown at all, and not too pale. :lickout:

I'm going to have my DH take some pics of them together for me today (or I'll try my hand tonight, though he's much better at it than I am). I'll post them asap!

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
DH was able to get a few pics for me. :bigsmile: The pink tourm is approx .90 ct and the larger of the three diamonds is approx .13 for reference. I don't have the ct weight for the smaller stones, but I'm guessing .05 maybe? I can't tell. The colors are a bit off yellow compared to "real life". The diamonds aren't yellow at all and the pink is a bit brighter/prettier but it's a good starting point I think.

He also snapped a couple of pics of my alexandrite (it's not been confirmed as authentic, but it's been in the family for about 50 years now). I love how it goes from grape color to a blue/green depending on lighting. :) It's filthy right now though! I'm going to have it set in a U prong double claw agentium by DanielM, I think!

alexandrite 1.jpg

alexandrite 2.jpg

Tourmalline 1.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you put the stones on your finger for a size perspective? I have size 6 fingers and like a decent coverage. A 6mm on it's own wouldn't do it for me but 6mm with sides and add in a little width for gold would be ok.

In terms of your alex, can I suggest you get it checked out? The lack of inclusions and the abrading of the table junction facets make me wonder if it's a synthetic. Unfortunately, synthetic colour change corundum has been on the market for 50 years and more (in fact dating back to the early 1900s) and the majority of heirloom alexandrites I've seen, have turned out not to be natural. I hope I'm wrong and you've got the one that is and, if it is a natural alex, with that clarity, it's REALLY worth getting it checked!

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
LD,

Yes I'll take a pic of them on my hand tonight...or at least try to. I'm not making any guarantees regarding the clarity of the photos! In the meantime, here's a hand shot from the person I bought it from. Hopefully she doesn't mind! I think it looks maybe a tiny bit bigger on her hand than on mine, but not too much so.

Regarding the alex, I'm honestly assuming it's not genuine alexandrite. My mother gave it to me and sadly, wouldn't have if it were worth a significant amount. She said she had it checked out by her local jeweler but didn't want to believe that it wasn't real. So I'm actually GLAD that it's not, because it means a lot to me to have something from my grandfather. He purchased it when he was in the Navy, but I don't know the exact date or location. It's the only thing I have left from my though, she sold everything else. :(sad

5964372.jpg

8585770.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your tourmaline is beautiful and I can just see it in yellow gold. I think the little diamonds might be proportionate to the tourmaline too, even if you feel that might be too small.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! :) It's my first purchase of a loose stone and I really like it. The side diamonds might be pretty with milgrain bezel. I saw a ring that DanielM made for Freke that has some small round and marquise diamonds and it was just so pretty!

I'm pretty excited to have some things set. Is it bad that I'm already working on two more stone purchases? :o hehe

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tammy seeing a handshot (even though I appreciate it's not your hand) makes me pretty sure that once you've got a setting you like and added the side stones it'll be a nice size with good coverage. Not too big or too small.

In terms of the Alex - I love your story. You know what? It has sentimental value and that's worth FAR more than putting a dollar amount to something. The fact that you adore it, means it's a real treasure and heirloom. Just enjoy it! It would be lovely in a ring so you could see it always and think of your Grandfather.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your diamonds and the tourmaline look gorgeous together!!! The diamonds look proportionate to me as well. They highlight the size of your tourmaline beautifully. Very Pretty!!

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my word I had fun taking pictures! :lol: I'll try not to overload you...She's pretty photogenic, at least I think so! :D

DSC02965.JPG

DSC02972.JPG

DSC02973.JPG

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
That's a gorgeous combination/proportion, and definitely not too small!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I echo jstar: fab combination, and great finger coverage too. It reminds me of the traditional marshmallow colours, which are one of my favourites, so it has definite appeal to me ;-)

Can't wait to see it!

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! :bigsmile: I'm very excited about the project! Now I just need to pick a metal. ;)) I was going to go w/argentium, but I'm toying with yellow or rose gold...or unplated white gold. Basically anything that isn't rhodium plated!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it's the PERFECT size/combo!! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful stone, and the combination is pretty. It reminds me of best stones on Bob Kast's website, and I bought two very nice tourmalines from him. The combination looks great. Just a word of caution - and it is my personal opinion. With the second one, I put it in an open bezel which was quite solid and it lost half of its sparkle. From now on, I decided not to put bright tourmalines into settings that are too large or too closed because these stones sparkle! I am very happy that you found it. It is pretty indeed.

Re. alex - you said you are assuming, but if you don't really know...I'd still check it, at least with one of the local appraisers, if you haven't done so. You never know, 99% of them are synthetic sapphires of spinels, but once in a blue moon, you'd come across the real one. The chance is very slim, but what if it is real? Miracles happen! Recently my FIL gave me a pair that had belonged to my MIL, and although they are not too pretty, they are real.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the tip, crasru! We're talking about milgrained bezels for the little diamonds and prong setting the center stone. I am just concerned about seeing the inclusions on the pavillion (they look like scratches).

Re: the alex I can get it checked, but it was part of a set of earrings, and there was another set (I think?). Given their size and clarity, I would be SHOCKED if all of them were real!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results