shape
carat
color
clarity

TOO MUCH? Diamond studs for 1yr anni. w/ girlfriend

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look you know your finances and you are only young once. I suppose. But here's the thing if my BF spent 1000 on just me I'd feel obligated to do something equally expensive, and I would resent that, personally. Especially if she is as young as you she probably doesn't have that kind of money, even if you do.
So....
How about a nice vacation to a bed and breakfast for a weekend? If you are going to spend a 1000 bucks might as well make it really memorable. And this way it's spent on the TWO of you and there is no obligation for reciprocity, except to get you something thoughtful.

A nice getaway weekend with maybe a couples massage and a great romantic dinner out, or something like that is romantic and it celebrates the TWO of you, which is what an anniversary is all about.

You can get a really fantastic weekend get away for 1000 dollars and build memories that will last you. I think its a wiser use to the funds, personally.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1412730243|3764000 said:
Look you know your finances and you are only young once. I suppose. But here's the thing if my BF spent 1000 on just me I'd feel obligated to do something equally expensive, and I would resent that, personally. Especially if she is as young as you.

So....
How about a nice vacation to a bed and breakfast for a weekend? If you are going to spend a 1000 bucks might as well make it really memorable. And this way it's spent on the TWO of you and there is no obligation for reciprocity, except to get you something thoughtful.

A nice getaway weekend with maybe a couples massage and a great romantic dinner out, or something like that is romantic and it celebrates the TWO of you, which is what an anniversary is all about.

You can get a really fantastic weekend get away for 1000 dollars and build memories that will last you.

I think this is all moot as I see he has started a new thread with specific stones he has selected lol

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Opinions on this diamond stud pair" was posted BEFORE this thread.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
i'd rather have a nice purse and you save the extra money towards a future engagement ring

OR

take her on a surprise mini vaca! Do you have any destinations pretty close (driving distance)? You can take her away for a weekend or something...I would def prefer that over 1200 on earrings esp when you are still in school

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The studs are a fabulous idea! You have a job. I am going to give you credit for knowing what you can afford. So I think .60ctw studs is a fabulous gift for someone you are in love with. I have never felt any obligation to spend an equivalent amount on my husband's gifts. I think it is a sweet gift that will show her tangibly that she is really important to you!

I have one hesitation, though. The earrings need to be in a box that is not shaped like a ring box. Because if she sees something that looks like a ring box, it is going to cause all kinds of emotions and then she will open it and see earrings. So it needs to be a bigger box than a ring box.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I may be the outlier, but I would have been immensely touched by this sort of thing. So long as you're not going into debt for them, I say good on you for finding The One and having a generous nature!

kappy

Rough_Rock
OP, you have asked a nearly impossible question to an online forum full of strangers who don't know you or your girlfriend.
From my perspective it seems like you've already made up your mind, so go with it! ;-)

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1412732841|3764025 said:
I have one hesitation, though. The earrings need to be in a box that is not shaped like a ring box. Because if she sees something that looks like a ring box, it is going to cause all kinds of emotions and then she will open it and see earrings. So it needs to be a bigger box than a ring box.
+1 :lol: !!

Maybe get an engraving on the lid "this is not a ring"

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock

THIS! ^^^^^^
My ex bought me diamond earrings from Kays (long since sold lol) and they came in a ring shaped box .. we had only been dating for a few months and I freaked out a bit until I realized they were earrings. I was NOT ready or looking for a ring, so I wasn't freaked out in a good way. That feeling never left me and we ended up breaking up about a year later. I sold the diamond earrings ebay :dance:

What about starting with small studs and letting her know your intention to upgrade them every year? I wear .29 ctw studs every day and I love them. I just wish I had purchased them someplace that allowed trade ins or upgrades (they were a pre-Pricescope purchase from Tiffany's) because now I want bigger ones :D

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Circe|1412733197|3764029 said:
I may be the outlier, but I would have been immensely touched by this sort of thing. So long as you're not going into debt for them, I say good on you for finding The One and having a generous nature!

+1

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Pandabear90|1412724658|3763950 said:
Gypsy|1412723359|3763936 said:

Don't you think a handbag is a weird gift for 1 year anni? lol

I wouldn't buy her a handbag unless thats something that she's really into and even then, you have to know exactly what she likes. I splurge on designer handbags (like Chanel) and if someone gifted me a handbag (like a Tory Burch, Coach, etc.) I would probably never wear it.
As far as the diamond earrings are concerned, I don't think that it's overly extravagant for a one-year anniversary - as long as it doesn't put a strain on your budget. Diamonds studs are classic and elegant and even a woman who doesn't wear much jewelry can appreciate a small pair of studs. If you're worried about buying the diamonds and subsequently setting the bar too high for future gifts, there are lots of other classic jewelry pieces that you could research (solid gold necklaces with a pendant that might have some meaning to her, classic gold hoops, etc.).

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
The studs are a fabulous idea! You have a job. I am going to give you credit for knowing what you can afford. So I think .60ctw studs is a fabulous gift for someone you are in love with. I have never felt any obligation to spend an equivalent amount on my husband's gifts. I think it is a sweet gift that will show her tangibly that she is really important to you!

Well, I mean its a gift, not a trade haha, so the receiver shouldn't feel as if they're obligated to give something back...

and speaking of my other thread...THAT PAIR GOT SOLD, i'm so mad ....it was the perfect one lol...now I can't find any with good HCA score... :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
susanrachel28|1412749083|3764107 said:

THIS! ^^^^^^
My ex bought me diamond earrings from Kays (long since sold lol) and they came in a ring shaped box .. we had only been dating for a few months and I freaked out a bit until I realized they were earrings. I was NOT ready or looking for a ring, so I wasn't freaked out in a good way. That feeling never left me and we ended up breaking up about a year later. I sold the diamond earrings ebay :dance:

What about starting with small studs and letting her know your intention to upgrade them every year? I wear .29 ctw studs every day and I love them. I just wish I had purchased them someplace that allowed trade ins or upgrades (they were a pre-Pricescope purchase from Tiffany's) because now I want bigger ones :D

I'll wrap it and put it inside a cereal box LOL

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pandabear90|1412773281|3764215 said:

Well, I mean its a gift, not a trade haha, so the receiver shouldn't feel as if they're obligated to give something back...

and speaking of my other thread...THAT PAIR GOT SOLD, i'm so mad ....it was the perfect one lol...now I can't find any with good HCA score... :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Aw, we'll help! But, yeah, ditto the other ladies that you should give them in a container NOT resembling a ring box. Like, don't wrap the box and put it inside another box ... then she'll just think you're proposing "creatively." Buy her a stuffed animal and put the studs in its ears, buy her a stationary set and pierce them through the first sheet of paper, buy her a nice jewelry box and leave them in the first compartment with a little note attached on a string so she can't miss them ... something like that.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nah, you can probably find better. Let me look.

Not a cereral box, either because then there will be something small inside. Just a larger box for jewelry than a ring box. Some earring boxes actually are the exact same size as a ring box with a different interior.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
If you love her and want to buy her diamonds, buy her diamonds.

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1412773566|3764222 said:

Nah, you can probably find better. Let me look.

Not a cereral box, either because then there will be something small inside. Just a larger box for jewelry than a ring box. Some earring boxes actually are the exact same size as a ring box with a different interior.

Can you please, i'm getting frustrated on Ritani lol, alot of the pairs in my price range not scoring good on HCA...
1100 budget for the diamonds alone... .60tcw SI1 / H or better

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1412774135|3764232 said:
I am still looking but these came to mind. These are usually ex cut diamonds and a good buy for .50ctw already set at $868 in white gold. This might be a really good option and a little less expensive.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/3-prong-martini-diamond-earrings-1343.htm

If you do order, always tell them that you are a pricescope member.

I want .60tcw and a good HCA score, not preset, if I'm going to spend 800 might as well spend a few hundred more to get one that SHINES ;-)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my then BF, now DH did the same thing after 1 year, the fact that most people did NOT give/receive such a nice gift made it even more special (as long as it's a good financial decision, of course). I wore them 24/7 - enjoyed them every day and he could see them everyday too. He did put mine inside another gift - I never thought about the box issue :o - so I thought that was the only gift and was very happy about that, then the earrings fell out and I gasped!

He once put a diamond band inside a vacuum cleaner he gave me for Xmas (obviously we were married by then - a vacuum?)
Another time he gave me copper Xmas cookie cutters with a ribbon holding them together and a diamond/sapphire stacker was tied to the ribbon. I admired the gift and said TY - and he said "look again".... haha

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am looking on Ritani and honestly don't see any that I think are outstanding. If I wanted that quality, I'd go with the WhiteFlash preset pair. But if you really want excellent diamonds, I'd suggest WF regular diamond stock, not preset.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3061854.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3171971.htm

They have 3 or 4 prong settings for around $195.

The great thing about WF is that they have an upgrade policy that will allow you to trade these in at full value later if you ever want to get her a larger pair. I have a feeling these will have sentimental value, though, so she may not ever want to trade them!

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1412775091|3764245 said:
I am looking on Ritani and honestly don't see any that I think are outstanding. If I wanted that quality, I'd go with the WhiteFlash preset pair. But if you really want excellent diamonds, I'd suggest WF regular diamond stock, not preset.

The great thing about WF is that they have an upgrade policy that will allow you to trade these in at full value later if you ever want to get her a larger pair. I have a feeling these will have sentimental value, though, so she may not ever want to trade them!

Those are amazing, but a little out of my price range diamondseeker2006 =(

I notice that anytime the pavillion angle is under 41, it gets a good HCA score?

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
liaerfbv|1412776032|3764252 said:
Pandabear90|1412773081|3764213 said:
PintoBean|1412731232|3764014 said:

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Wow, really? Someone goes to the trouble of making a suggestion and you respond like a 12 year old? You're lucky other members are still trying to help you.

Sorry, wasn't meant to be rude. Thanks for your contribution to this thread though, I'm glad that it was a critique about my response to another member. Positive Vibes, people positive vibes.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandabear90|1412775791|3764251 said:

I notice that anytime the pavillion angle is under 41, it gets a good HCA score?

Yes! Here's a cheat sheet for you that makes matching a little easier:

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62 (up to 62.3 is fine but for earrings I'd prefer less depth)

crown angle: 34-35

pav angle: 40.6-41.0

Those numbers will land you in ideal cut territory on the HCA.

I really would encourage you to consider the WF preset pair for this size and budget range. You are paying extra for those grading reports and it really isn't essential on this size studs when bought from a reputable vendor.

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1412777128|3764260 said:
Pandabear90|1412775791|3764251 said:

Yes! Here's a cheat sheet for you that makes matching a little easier:

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62 (up to 62.3 is fine but for earrings I'd prefer less depth)

crown angle: 34-35

pav angle: 40.6-41.0

Those numbers will land you in ideal cut territory on the HCA.

I really would encourage you to consider the WF preset pair for this size and budget range. You are paying extra for those grading reports and it really isn't essential on this size studs when bought from a reputable vendor.

Thanks diamondseeker! Sorry, what do you mean by, me paying extra for those grading reports?? Also, they don't have the presets in .60?

Also I see alot of crown angle 35 paired with pav angle 41 and that never lands in a good HCA its always above 2.0 lol?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ideally you'd want closer to 34 to go with 41. But there are plenty of 35-41 combinations that are absolutely fine. My last round brilliant had those measurements and the idealscope and ASET showed ideal light performance. So there are plenty of stones that are great with a 2.5 HCA score. You just have to buy from someone does light performance testing and not a vendor that lists mostly virtual stones that they do not hold in their own inventory. That is why with Ritani I prefer to only look at their Reserve diamonds, or whatever they are called, because those they have in house and supply pictures. But I think you are going to be hard pressed to be at G-H SI at .30 with great cut at $500 each.

What I meant was that small diamonds sent to GIA will mean the price is increased by having shipping and the fee to have them graded added to the price. I'd NEVER buy uncerted diamonds from just anywhere, but I'd certainly buy them from someone like WF who is known for high quality diamonds and diamond jewelry. There really isn't a big difference between .25 and .30. but the next size up of the preset studs is .75 ctw but they are like $1495.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results