shape
carat
color
clarity

TOO BIG???

Is this puppy TOO BIG?

• YES, you look straight off of Real Housewives. Gaudy!

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Too WHAT, now? (hell no!)

Votes: 65 85.5%

• Total voters

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
So the faceting on this amazing OEC (4.02 L SI1, eye clean, 10.11x10.15 mm) has my heart skipping a beat. But it's a good deal larger than I had in mind. You kind of take these OECs as you get them, you know...

I'm going for classy, not gaudy. To the extent it's relevant background, I'm size 4.5 finger, 5 foot 8. I have some other smaller options, but the faceting on this guy really tugs on the heartstrings.

Opinions please?

img_0434_3.jpg
img_0429_1.jpg

fullsizerender_114.jpg
fullsizerender__1__11.jpg

*swoon*
oec__.jpg

southLA504

Rough_Rock
as my girlfriend would say, no such thing as too big.

that ring is beautiful BTW, jealous.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
If you love it, buy it. DSS and all that.

For me, it would be too big and I'd have to pass on it. But, if you love it...why not?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear a 5.34 OEC on a size 4.75. Its the same colour although its fairly white facing. Only you can determine what is appropriate for you and where you live and your circumstances, you will get a range of answers from the people on here. I think if you love it, be happy, if you are going to wear it and always freak that it is too big and people are looking at it then maybe that also has to be considered.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
If you're looking for enabling as regards getting a big honkin' rock, you've come to the right place. That is gorgeous stone. Wear it in good health!!!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is beautiful and not too big since although you have a small finger you are tall so I think you can wear a diamond this size without being gaudy at all. That said, if it were me, I'd choose a simple setting. I think the "gaudy" part comes mostly from the setting choice and not the size of the diamond. So if you choose a classic, relatively simple setting, you will have a classic ring that is not gaudy.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have gorgeous hands and your long fingers offset the size of the stone a bit.

I *think* that stone is larger than I'd want to wear on a day-to-day basis. However, I also *thought* the diamonds in my platform ring, which is now my everyday ring, sat too high off the hand when I first considered buying it. "Too large" is a state of mind and the mind is flexible. :wink2: But since you're asking, be sure to check out this thread as well:https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-diamond-owners.216573/#post-3937461#p3937461

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I don't know what "gaudy" is or means, hence I didn't use the poll.

I do know the diamond looks great on your beautiful hand.

Good luck on a fun decision.

cheers--Sharon

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am really the wrong person to ask, because 10 mm is my sweet spot. I have size 7 fingers, though. It does look big on your hand but not ridiculous. I would go with your level of comfort based on when/where you will wear it and maybe even your social circle. Keep in mind that diamonds shrink over time! :errrr:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone, right at home on your finger, and has your heart skipping beats - what's the question again? :bigsmile:

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
Ugh that is gorgeous and looks perfect on your hand.

That said, 4 carats would be too big for me, yes. I'd feel weird wearing it because it just doesn't match my lifestyle. But do I think it's gaudy? No!

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
mmmmmm that's some finger coverage . . . . if it tugs at -your- heart strings that might be the answer for you . . . .I too agree it's a lovely stone and how -you- set it might be the tipping point between "lovely" and "oh my"

Q

Queenie60

Never too big!

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Perfection - you don't have to stop at one ring you can buy other size diamonds for different situations/events

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 4.5 finger too, and I would wear it, every day if I could. Does it look big to me, initially. YEAH!!!! THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT!

Sorry, had to.

Yes, to me it looks big. As far as I am concerned, that's a good thing. Cause VERY soon, it will start shrinking in my eyes, and when it's kinda done shrinking, it will look just normal. Fine. What's the big deal?

Sorry, you asked about gaudy? No. Your finger is still wider than the ring...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not too big IMO. I LOVE it on you. Beautiful and not gaudy at all. I think a gorgeous solitaire is always classic and in style! And FWIW I think it looks perfect on your lovely hand!

redroze1

Shiny_Rock
You appear to have it in a diamond holder which raises the diamond higher off the finger than a setting would. If you find it a big bit once it's properly set it will look slightly smaller, which will
Hopefully alleviate your worries.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is so beautiful and makes your heart flutter? Unequivocally yes!
If it seems a bit large to you now, you will get quickly get used to it. Life is short....go for it!!!!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rock that rock!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you love it, get it! You will get use to it and the size wont seem so large after a while. I think the setting you put it in can
also make it look bigger or minimize it (somewhat) and make it look more like a casual (yet large) ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can have a large AND classy ring. So if you're question is "is itntoo big go be classy" no. I don't think so.

Of you like the color and love the pattern, go for it.

If at all the color is too much for you, I'd keep looking. Sounds like you have the $$ to get a bit higher in color and go down to a size you're more comfortable with.

I think you'd get used to the size though, and I think it's lovely.

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
Diamonds are never too big :appl:
Go for it, its a gorgeous diamond and it looks beautiful on you!

alamana

Shiny_Rock
I think the answer to that question always depends on your community. I live on the east coast and work in law and see rings like that with some frequency (I am pretty sure my new 1.5 carat pear will be considered smallish). And I think most of the people around here would love a diamond of that size. Back in my little hometown in the midwest though? That would be a different story -- the small-town church suppers that social life revolves around there would not be the place to wear a ring like that if you wanted to avoid negative judgement. I love it though -- it's gorgeous. I say enjoy the heck out of it.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it's too big. It's on the edge, man, it's on the edge! But no, I don't think it's too big. You have very long elegant fingers which really offsets the size. Like others have said, I don't think it's the diamond that determines gaudiness, it's the way that you wear it. If you choose a simple setting, and your personal style has clean, simple lines, then I think it will look very chic. It would only be gaudy if you, say, chose a double halo and went strutting about in a tight short miniskirt, towering heels, leopard-print fake fur jacket, fuschia lipgloss, heavy makeup, humongous chandelier earrings, etc. Hey, I've just worked out my Halloween costume! :lol:

If you have doubts, could you get a 10mm CZ and wear that for a while, see how it feels?

Alternatively, you could go down to a 3-carat which I also think would look really chic on you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is gorgeous!!! :love: But everyone here who knows me will predict my personal preference and that would be to go to 3-3.5 and get a color and clarity grade higher! This was the mistake I personally made, so I am just stating what is true for me, and that may not be the case for you!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning! I wouldn't halo it or put a blingy setting on it if it were me, but I would rock that all day :love:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's big, but in a good way. I think it's beautiful. If it makes your heart sing, I think you should go for it. I agree with everyone that said you will get used to the size. I thought mine was a honker when I got it but now it's completely comfortable and shrinking more and more every day.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
would you be wearing it everyday, or just on occasion? That for me would be the deciding factor. If its something you *never * want to take off, then i would say you need to be comfortable getting some gawking in certain places, and that when you travel etc you need to keep where you store ring/ where you wear it in mind. If it is something you plan on babying and not wearing every single day, then FOR SURE go for it if you love it. Not saying not too if you plan on wearing 24/7, just that there are more considerations you need to take...just my two cents.

Either way it is beyondddd...

Area57

Rough_Rock
I think it is a little too big.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is absolutely stunning. :love: OECs with patterning that you LOVE-love? Don't come around that often. There are settings you could choose (e.g. double-halo 3-sided pave with trap sidestones :D) that would, uh, push it in a gaudy direction as long as that isn't the norm in your social circle... but oh, just as it is in that ring holder it makes MY heart flutter a little. I'm super jealous but in a good way -- "jealous without judging," maybe? :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results