shape
carat
color
clarity

Today I was walking our dogs on the sidewalk & suddenly ...

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Today I was walking our dogs on the sidewalk & suddenly

kenny|1452545873|3974385 said:
CJ2008|1452545529|3974381 said:
I could see feeling bad Kenny. But honestly it was very courageous of you to see this through.
Thanks.

My SO was not happy.
He says, "Don't get involved."

I thought about this actually.

As in "I hope that guy is not really mad now."

Because it really was the good thing to do. Your SO would have probably done exactly the same if he had been there himself...

I hope this guy learned a lesson and that it's done and ends here.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agree with CJ and Paz. Remember that quote "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Looking away and doing nothing can be as bad as being the person who is committing the egregious behavior. Good for you for doing what you could Kenny. You did the right thing and yes in this case there was a right and a wrong and you did the right thing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just hope there is not a trial and I'm called to testify.
Rambo will have the right to face his accusers.

Of course I would testify and take my lumps.
I've had a good life.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

You know, you mentioned the "code" or whatever, about not snitching..there are a lot of times LE can't do their jobs b/c people refuse to "snitch". Many crimes go unreported daily, and many crimes are unable to be prosecuted, b/c people don't want to tell, people don't want to become involved. We're all living here, we're all a part of this society, and we can talk about banding together and making the world a better place all day long, but we have to actively work for that. It doesn't come otherwise. Little things add up to big things.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1452553962|3974453 said:

I've had a good life.

Does he know that you are the one who reported him?
I hope things work out okay for you, kenny. Neighborhood relations can be so tricky some times and it's no fun having enemies, but it sounds like you did the right thing.

hay joe

Shiny_Rock

When I was a kid, 14 or so, we would have bb gun wars. Between 6 to 10 of us would get together pick teams and off in to the canyon we went. We had fun until our parents found out what we were up to. Only one of us had to go to the doctor and that's when they found out. We didn't shot any dogs, rodents or damage anyone's property. Just kids having fun.

About 4 years ago the kids 2 fences away were shooting bb guns in their backyard. The bbs were being shot thru and or over the fences and into my yard. I went over to their house explained the problem to them and it stopped. If they had shot a rodent I would have bagged it up, brought it to them and showed them the problem.

Never would I ..." I would feel so impotent if I were in your place. I would want to kill those idiots, just kill them."

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock

I can't wrap my head around shooting into a street where there are people and pets. Not saying that shooting at the squirrel is OK or anything, just that shooting in the general direction of a guy and his dogs is a whole different level of stupid.

My mom used to go on about the kid she taught who got shot in the eye with a BB gun. So what if it's not a "real gun", it can still do damage.

I would normally be the " don't get involved " person, but this is a special case. That guy is dangerous. Thank you for reporting him.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chemgirl|1452569200|3974556 said:
just that shooting in the general direction of a guy and his dogs is a whole different level of stupid.

You know, your post is the first time I thought of myself or our dogs getting accidentally shot by Rambo.

BTW, had Rambo shot 15 seconds later the bloody squirrel would have fallen onto our dogs or on my head. :knockout:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hay joe|1452565823|3974534 said:
Never would I ..." I would feel so impotent if I were in your place. I would want to kill those idiots, just kill them."

Huh?
What does this mean?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1452570633|3974566 said:
hay joe|1452565823|3974534 said:

Huh?
What does this mean?

Joe didn't write that. I did. And I wrote it while I was crying, so it was not my finest work. Please excuse any lack of clarity in my expression.

I meant that I would have felt powerless to save or avenge the squirrel, both of which I would have wanted to do had I been there.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Squirrels and rabbits and skunks and racoons all matter to me. I do not want to see any of them harmed. I grew up with woods behind my house and my mother fed the racoons. (There wasn't a rabies problem then.) She put dog food into a huge saucer that a child would use to go down a hill in winter that was in the middle of our backyard. The adults came to eat. When the babies were old enough, they would climb the trees and watch how it was done. If they were hungry they would climb our back porch and let the screen door slam to alert my mother that it was feeding time. Sometimes she would hand one a donut or a bun through the back door. Once some got in through the kitchen window and we found them eating cereal out of boxes in the kitchen.

Everyone knew my mother and her love for the raccoons and gave her drawings and pictures of them. Sometimes a white skunk would come to eat, too, because like the racoons it was nocturnal and it would have babies.

The spread of rabies forced my mother to stop feeding the racoons long before her death (in 2008). But there are still many squirrels in the front yard and the woods behind the house are, of course, still full of wildlife. The animals may not be pets like my dog, but they are mammals. I see myself in them.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kenny, For what it's worth I think you did the right thing. The guy has issues and needs to be told by LE that this will not be tolerated. I hope there is some punishment as I would think there would be laws against this. It really makes you wonder what is wrong with some people.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for standing up for everyone in the street that has kids and pets. As a mother of a 7 year old and a person that owns cats and dogs, the point is the guy could randomly and accidentally hit a pet cat up the tree, or worse shoot a kid up the tree or miss and hit a pet or a person walking past, and for what? Just to save a few pieces of fruit....

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I got a phone call from my husband in Virginia tonight. As some of you know, he lives in our house there and I live in Connecticut with my 95 year-old father and 23 year-old daughter. My husband had spinal surgery yesterday so we had been talking on the phone a great deal while he was in the hospital, but this was our first phone call since he had gotten back to the house.

Our next door neighbors had driven him home from the hospital and told him that there was a problem with our house. He thought they were kidding. (Not that there haven't been problems. It is a large house on 2 1/2 acres of land in a fairly rural area. Once a huge tree fell through our roof and into our Great Room window. Once a tree fell into our swimming pool.)

At any rate, the problem was a dead deer on our property, being eaten by animals.

It took me a while to process what had happened.

Obviously someone had killed the deer.

My husband said that, yes, it had happened to our neighbor who drove him home once, too. Another neighbor with double the property we have gave hunters the right to hunt deer with bows on her property, adjacent to ours, and the deer came onto our property to die. Animal control takes no responsibility for getting rid of the deer. We are supposed to chop up and bag the deer and remove it from our own property. My husband planned to do this, himself, tomorrow, two days after spinal surgery.

I cannot tell you how angry I am.

The woman who owns that land doesn't even reside there. She is in a nursing home. But somehow men with bows and arrows have been allowed to roam her property and shoot deer near us. One deer was killed and its life forfeit for no reason since it came onto our land and no one ate him. I hate hunting, but my own grandfather hunt deer. If you eat what you kill, it's doing what we all do.

But this deer suffered for no reason and on my land. And we got stuck with the problem. And we might have been in danger if they were shooting so close to us, too.

The incident just seemed to fit in this thread. It was timely, too. Virginia law should force hunters to clean up after themselves.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock

AGBF|1452650310|3975123 said:
I got a phone call from my husband in Virginia tonight. As some of you know, he lives in our house there and I live in Connecticut with my 95 year-old father and 23 year-old daughter. My husband had spinal surgery yesterday so we had been talking on the phone a great deal while he was in the hospital, but this was our first phone call since he had gotten back to the house.

Our next door neighbors had driven him home from the hospital and told him that there was a problem with our house. He thought they were kidding. (Not that there haven't been problems. It is a large house on 2 1/2 acres of land in a fairly rural area. Once a huge tree fell through our roof and into our Great Room window. Once a tree fell into our swimming pool.)

At any rate, the problem was a dead deer on our property, being eaten by animals.

It took me a while to process what had happened.

Obviously someone had killed the deer.

My husband said that, yes, it had happened to our neighbor who drove him home once, too. Another neighbor with double the property we have gave hunters the right to hunt deer with bows on her property, adjacent to ours, and the deer came onto our property to die. Animal control takes no responsibility for getting rid of the deer. We are supposed to chop up and bag the deer and remove it from our own property. My husband planned to do this, himself, tomorrow, two days after spinal surgery.

I cannot tell you how angry I am.

The woman who owns that land doesn't even reside there. She is in a nursing home. But somehow men with bows and arrows have been allowed to roam her property and shoot deer near us. One deer was killed and its life forfeit for no reason since it came onto our land and no one ate him. I hate hunting, but my own grandfather hunt deer. If you eat what you kill, it's doing what we all do.

But this deer suffered for no reason and on my land. And we got stuck with the problem. And we might have been in danger if they were shooting so close to us, too.

The incident just seemed to fit in this thread. It was timely, too. Virginia law should force hunters to clean up after themselves.

That is infuriating.

I'm always a bit torn on these threads because my family hunts. My uncles also have a farm and I'm sure they kill cayotes and other predators that threaten their livestock.

But there are unwritten rule to all of this. You never shoot towards an area where there might be people and you never waste. If you kill something you use every part that you can.

You would never just leave an animal to die on someone's property. Ugh.

Don't get me started on bow hunting though. Not efficient at all.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

^I don't have an issue with people hunting animals for consumption. It's not something I would ever want to do myself, but I'm okay if others choose to because I eat meat, so who am I to judge? Most responsible hunters that I know do everything they can to ensure that they can track down the animal being hunted, but it's not always possible. It's sad when a kill is lost and goes to waste. I'm sorry that your DH has to deal with that, especially after back surgery.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1452560710|3974502 said:
kenny|1452553962|3974453 said:

I've had a good life.

Does he know that you are the one who reported him?
I hope things work out okay for you, kenny. Neighborhood relations can be so tricky some times and it's no fun having enemies, but it sounds like you did the right thing.

Sorry I'm late responding ...

I seriously doubt Rambo knows I reported him.
We did not make eye contact and Tim later told me Rambo was ALL excited that he finally hit a squirrel.
Rambo's adrenaline was gushing!
I and our dogs crossed the street and walked 3 or 4 houses beyond his where I spoke with a woman-neighbor about it.

He probably thinks Tim reported him since Tim immediately told Rambo to get a shovel to end the squirrel's suffering.
I told Tim I'll bet Rambo will think you reported him.
Tim was totally unconcerned, and just said something to the effect of, "No biggie. I know Rambo well and can handle him."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results