Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

To those telling us to "get over it"

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,175
Thanks for posting that, Matata!

Here's a Volume II:
Senator Bernie Sanders has this to say to those Telling us to "Get Over It" ...

“Donald Trump tapped into the anger of a declining middle class that is sick and tired of establishment economics, establishment politics and the establishment media. People are tired of working longer hours for lower wages, of seeing decent paying jobs go to China and other low-wage countries, of billionaires not paying any federal income taxes and of not being able to afford a college education for their kids - all while the very rich become much richer.

“To the degree that Mr. Trump is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him. To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him.”


http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/sanders-statement-on-trump
 

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 26, 2003
Messages
21,112
I understand this point of view, Matata. I totally disagree with Dancing Fire's attempt to disparage Democrats as whiners for their protests. I was heartened that people cared enough to rise up in what were called "organic" protests, protests organized by no one, spontaneous popular uprisings against Trump yesterday. Those uprisings, like the election were, in my opinion, part of democracy at work. We encourage freedom of speech and assembly.

I believe that there is another way, however, and that is to organize now, politically. That is going to have to be our next step. The Left is going to have to respond to the right. There is, now, a republican President, House, and Senate, but there will be a chance for us to take back that power. I do not-and you cannot-believe that ththe republicans will do anything to make the people of the US happy in the next two years before the next Congressional elections. By then the Left can have organized to change the composition of Congress. I believe that that has to be our next task.

i am not trying to silence anyone prematurely, but ultimately I think that our goal will have to be to organize.

Deb/AGBF
 

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Messages
6,859
AGBF|1478827193|4096671 said:
i am not trying to silence anyone prematurely, but ultimately I think that our goal will have to be to organize.

Deb/AGBF
Correct. Organize isn't necessarily unifying with, it can be unifying against and the outcome can be effective using either method. History has shown that it takes a mix of methods to effect change and that's what I hope keeps happening.
 

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
3,553
But do you effect change for changes sake.

Even Bernie said give him a chance but be ever vigilant.
 

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Messages
6,859
ruby59|1478828689|4096688 said:
But do you effect change for changes sake.

Even Bernie said give him a chance but be ever vigilant.
No one protesting out in the streets tonight is doing it for fun or frolic. It is implicit in Sanders statement that he'll work with Trump if Trump changes -- that is, not show the self he showed throughout the campaign.

Did you see the national news tonight? Kids chanting "build that wall" in schools. Little **edited, language that is appropriate please** of the next generation have already swallowed the kool-aid.
 

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
3,553
And if Clinton won those F's would be coming out chanting something else.

The world is full of fools on both sides but that should not determine how we live our lives.

Right now there seems to be a peaceful transition yet protesters are calling for violence and speaking of casualties.

I was watching MSNBC. One of the reporerts was asking about how the meeting between Trump and Obama went. When the reporter said it went pretty well, he sounded so disappointed asking again hoping he would hear something negative. Is that the new normal?
 

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Messages
6,859
ruby59|1478829845|4096695 said:
And if Clinton won those F's would be coming out chanting something else.
There is no way to know this, you can only surmise.

The world is full of fools on both sides but that should not determine how we live our lives.
They pretty much determined how we'll live the next 4 years.

Right now there seems to be a peaceful transition yet protesters are calling for violence and speaking of casualties.
We can't know this. Peaceful in public is all we can know. Obama's spokesman said tonight that Obama still stands by his words that Trump is unfit to run the country. There is nothing else a sitting president can do but ensure that the transition is peaceful.

I was watching MSNBC. One of the reporerts was asking about how the meeting between Trump and Obama went. When the reporter said it went pretty well, he sounded so disappointed asking again hoping he would hear something negative. Is that the new normal?
It is not the new normal; it is the status quo.
 

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
3,553
In your answers you picked the best scenario for you and the worst for me.
 

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Messages
6,859
ruby59|1478831072|4096704 said:
In your answers you picked the best scenario for you and the worst for me.
Can you elaborate on that please? I agreed with you about the fools. You can't deny that the media has morphed into a ratings machine and most of those ratings come from "bad" news. None of us can know what goes on behind closed doors. I think the scenario is the same for both of us.
 

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
3,553
I think we can agree that there are instigators in this country that do not care who won, just that they can cause trouble.

So even if Clinton had won, we would be hearing their foul mouths on Twitter and their disgusting actions on the streets.

As far as the transition, I am sure all is not forgotten. And much of it was for show. But the two went through the motions and showed a united front. And I feel that we should be trying to do the same thing.

And I 100% agree about the media. Now that it is pretty much 24/7 they have to do something for the ratings. There are some great reporters, but others are no better than instigators.
 

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
3,553
For me, it is not about getting over it, but at some point we certainly need to get past it.
 

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Messages
6,859
ruby59|1478832279|4096718 said:
For me, it is not about getting over it, but at some point we certainly need to get past it.
And we will in 4 years :lol: Sorry Ruby, I'm picking on you but if it's any consolation, it's helping me get over it. At the end of the day, I'll remain resigned to and have no option but to accept the Trump presidency. For me personally, nothing he may accomplish for the good of the country will mean much to me if the content of his character remains as black as it appears now. If he surprises me and actually shows himself to be a decent human being, I'd be content if he accomplished nothing more than keeping the peace.

Now about those media idiots...remember the good old days of Walter Cronkite, Huntley & Brinkley and others of their generation. They were the gold standard.
 

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
7,008

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Messages
6,859
redwood66|1478834594|4096742 said:
[
Wow I feel better. :wavey:
And you should be proud that you are single-handedly contributing to the decline of my liver function due to the amount of vodka I must slurp to get through your posts without a cerebral infarction. ;)) I still love you too.
 

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
10,463
kenny|1478827012|4096668 said:
“To the degree that Mr. Trump is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him. To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him.”[/b]

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/sanders-statement-on-trump
This is one of my favorite thing said by anyone in gov't right now about Trump. While I am incredibly disappointed that he was elected and remain disgusted by his rhetoric throughout the campaign, I agree that if he were to do an about face and actually improve families lives I would be pleasantly surprised. However, if he continues his pattern of racism, sexism, xenophobic, etc, attitudes, then we should stand up to him and demonstrate how unacceptable that is.
 

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
7,008
Matata|1478834855|4096743 said:
redwood66|1478834594|4096742 said:
[
Wow I feel better. :wavey:
And you should be proud that you are single-handedly contributing to the decline of my liver function due to the amount of vodka I must slurp to get through your posts without a cerebral infarction. ;)) I still love you too.
DH says try scotch instead. LOL.
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
31,548
lovedogs|1478835040|4096744 said:
kenny|1478827012|4096668 said:
“To the degree that Mr. Trump is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him. To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him.”[/b]

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/sanders-statement-on-trump
This is one of my favorite thing said by anyone in gov't right now about Trump. While I am incredibly disappointed that he was elected and remain disgusted by his rhetoric throughout the campaign, I agree that if he were to do an about face and actually improve families lives I would be pleasantly surprised. However, if he continues his pattern of racism, sexism, xenophobic, etc, attitudes, then we should stand up to him and demonstrate how unacceptable that is.
I don't think so. His demeanors have changed in the past 48 hrs since he got elected.
 

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
10,463
Dancing Fire|1478835558|4096749 said:
lovedogs|1478835040|4096744 said:
kenny|1478827012|4096668 said:
“To the degree that Mr. Trump is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him. To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him.”[/b]

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/sanders-statement-on-trump
This is one of my favorite thing said by anyone in gov't right now about Trump. While I am incredibly disappointed that he was elected and remain disgusted by his rhetoric throughout the campaign, I agree that if he were to do an about face and actually improve families lives I would be pleasantly surprised. However, if he continues his pattern of racism, sexism, xenophobic, etc, attitudes, then we should stand up to him and demonstrate how unacceptable that is.
I don't think so. His demeanors have changed in the past 48 hrs since he got elected.
I've definitely noticed that, and hope it's a trend that continues.
 

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
13,369
lovedogs|1478835692|4096751 said:
Dancing Fire|1478835558|4096749 said:
lovedogs|1478835040|4096744 said:
kenny|1478827012|4096668 said:
“To the degree that Mr. Trump is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him. To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him.”[/b]

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/sanders-statement-on-trump
This is one of my favorite thing said by anyone in gov't right now about Trump. While I am incredibly disappointed that he was elected and remain disgusted by his rhetoric throughout the campaign, I agree that if he were to do an about face and actually improve families lives I would be pleasantly surprised. However, if he continues his pattern of racism, sexism, xenophobic, etc, attitudes, then we should stand up to him and demonstrate how unacceptable that is.
I don't think so. His demeanors have changed in the past 48 hrs since he got elected.
I've definitely noticed that, and hope it's a trend that continues.
Your BELIEFS do not change in 48 hours.
 

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 7, 2014
Messages
7,024
Dee*Jay|1478836879|4096758 said:
lovedogs|1478835692|4096751 said:
Dancing Fire|1478835558|4096749 said:
lovedogs|1478835040|4096744 said:
kenny|1478827012|4096668 said:
“To the degree that Mr. Trump is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him. To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him.”[/b]

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/sanders-statement-on-trump
This is one of my favorite thing said by anyone in gov't right now about Trump. While I am incredibly disappointed that he was elected and remain disgusted by his rhetoric throughout the campaign, I agree that if he were to do an about face and actually improve families lives I would be pleasantly surprised. However, if he continues his pattern of racism, sexism, xenophobic, etc, attitudes, then we should stand up to him and demonstrate how unacceptable that is.
I don't think so. His demeanors have changed in the past 48 hrs since he got elected.
I've definitely noticed that, and hope it's a trend that continues.
Your BELIEFS do not change in 48 hours.

THIS!!!!
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,367
Dee*Jay|1478836879|4096758 said:
Your BELIEFS do not change in 48 hours.
This is what concerns me. You can lie about this and that to appease the public, but core beliefs do not change. I will remain open minded and wait to see how everything unfolds next year.
 

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 7, 2015
Messages
222
Chrono|1478868734|4096888 said:
Dee*Jay|1478836879|4096758 said:
Your BELIEFS do not change in 48 hours.
This is what concerns me. You can lie about this and that to appease the public, but core beliefs do not change. I will remain open minded and wait to see how everything unfolds next year.
I think even more scary is the fact that almost 50% of our voters were not offended enough by those beliefs to sway their vote. I thought we had become a more tolerant country. It's not having a republican president (I actually lean right) or having Trump per se that bother me. It's that I thought as a country we were better than that.
 

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Mar 28, 2012
Messages
243
Dancing Fire|1478835558|4096749 said:
lovedogs|1478835040|4096744 said:
kenny|1478827012|4096668 said:
“To the degree that Mr. Trump is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him. To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him.”[/b]

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/sanders-statement-on-trump
This is one of my favorite thing said by anyone in gov't right now about Trump. While I am incredibly disappointed that he was elected and remain disgusted by his rhetoric throughout the campaign, I agree that if he were to do an about face and actually improve families lives I would be pleasantly surprised. However, if he continues his pattern of racism, sexism, xenophobic, etc, attitudes, then we should stand up to him and demonstrate how unacceptable that is.
I don't think so. His demeanors have changed in the past 48 hrs since he got elected.
Wow! 48 hours. I mean a man can act one way for 60/70 years but in two days can become something else entirely. Uh huh.
 

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jul 27, 2007
Messages
721
He is such a hypocrite. He has already proven that time and time again. Now he says Obama is a good man. Wow. What an outsider. I believe that the way he conducted himself throughout this shit show of a campaign, his outrageous behavior, his inflammatory language, name calling, and just lack of respect for the facts and truth is why so many people are so incredibly upset. That we, as a country, have elected him to be our leader and all that being a "leader" means is truly hard to swallow. Not because he is a republican, but because of what his behavior has represented.
 

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
7,008
We had a serial philanderer and possible rapist in the WH for 8 years already. I think we can make it through this.
 

Bayek

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 11, 2013
Messages
6,678
redwood66|1478875551|4096941 said:
We had a serial philanderer and possible rapist in the WH for 8 years already. I think we can make it through this.
So we now will have a possible rapist and serial philanderer Clinton was impeached. So this means that Trump will go right to impeachment proceedings when he starts office? He has been caught in many lies, this is one reason why the judge in the Trump University case highly suggested he settle. Can the senate accept a president who settles? Time will tell.
 

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
7,008
Tekate|1478876039|4096951 said:
redwood66|1478875551|4096941 said:
We had a serial philanderer and possible rapist in the WH for 8 years already. I think we can make it through this.
So we now will have a possible rapist and serial philanderer Clinton was impeached. So this means that Trump will go right to impeachment proceedings when he starts office? He has been caught in many lies, this is one reason why the judge in the Trump University case highly suggested he settle. Can the senate accept a president who settles? Time will tell.
He wasn't impeached on all the shit he did before he got there. He was impeached for lying about what he did after he got there.
 

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 7, 2015
Messages
222
redwood66|1478875551|4096941 said:
We had a serial philanderer and possible rapist in the WH for 8 years already. I think we can make it through this.
Who cares about what happened in the past??!! What a dumb excuse.... Because we all know two wrongs make a right and all. This is about who is in NOW and what he represents. Period.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top