shape
carat
color
clarity

To reset or not reset....Please help me decide...

syd33

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask for advice on whether to reset or not reset my recently acquired fancy light brownish yellow diamond. I apologize in advance for the long post. I’m sure lots of members are familiar with this stone and her prior settings (I hope it is OK to use the prior photos here, most of them are on this site in different threads):

Stats:
stats.jpg

Prior settings designed by @D&T for this stone:
dt.jpg
current setting:
current.jpg
Glamour Shots from David Klass comparing prior bezel to current:
glamour.jpg
IRL Photos comparing prior bezel to current:
irl.jpg
When I saw the photos of the ring in the preloved, I immediately thought the stone had to be mine and—definitely back into the bezel—but I love bezel settings and have never considered owning a simple solitaire setting. I will be honest, if DK wasn't busy and had answered my email immediately it would be at his shop for reset--but the world is closed and I am still working and needed some sparkle--so I decided to wear it for a while in the current setting. The stone is a beautiful buttery light yellow in most lighting conditions and does pick up colors from its surroundings—brown on the wooden box--yellow on my very pale skin—my photos don’t really do it justice-a very sparkly, lively stone.

The ease and stackability of the current solitaire is making the current setting grow on me, I will admit. I am not in a rush to make a decision on this and wanted to ask for input on how other members decide to reset or not reset. Other rings I have reset were an easy decision as they were inherited and were in dated settings that had to go. This one is more difficult—not my typical style—but does look nice... I am currently wearing it stacked as in the photo above as a RHR. If I reset it, I would be thinking of something like an art deco hexagonal bezel in two tone +/- side stones. Any advice is appreciated.

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well, what jumps out at me is if you like to stack and want to continue to do so. Then you stay with what you have got. I LOVE the bezel and think it really works for this gorgeous stone, but I see that as more of a stand alone ring.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I sort of like the simplicity of what you have now if highlights your sstone

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate a colored stone solitaire
This is just my preference - I just wanted to preface my answer with that fact about me.

My go- to answer for a stone like this is an airline halo similar to msops
Like literally I just suggested this the other day. This could easily be redesigned with the halo being hexagonal instead of round.
but the airline halo allows for the bezel around the stone to be gold to amp up the color without looking wierd. (I always think two tone bezel halos look clunky when they have metal on metal and no airline)
The white halo emphasizes the color of the stone by juxtaposing the icy white diamonds and putting a buffer between the stone and your skin
the halo is such that the underside tucks in for easy stacking
A plain shank halo gives a soli feel

syd33

Shiny_Rock
Well, what jumps out at me is if you like to stack and want to continue to do so. Then you stay with what you have got. I LOVE the bezel and think it really works for this gorgeous stone, but I see that as more of a stand alone ring.

I definitely want to be able to stack it with my five stone....I don't have to be able to stack with others--my fingers are pretty short..

I sort of like the simplicity of what you have now if highlights your sstone

I am actually surprised that I like the simple setting at all. I thought I would get it and just put up with the setting until I decided how to set it. It might be because the stone is so big... :)

syd33

Shiny_Rock
I hate a colored stone solitaire
This is just my preference - I just wanted to preface my answer with that fact about me.

My go- to answer for a stone like this is an airline halo similar to msops
Like literally I just suggested this the other day. This could easily be redesigned with the halo being hexagonal instead of round.
but the airline halo allows for the bezel around the stone to be gold to amp up the color without looking wierd. (I always think two tone bezel halos look clunky when they have metal on metal and no airline)
The white halo emphasizes the color of the stone by juxtaposing the icy white diamonds and putting a buffer between the stone and your skin
the halo is such that the underside tucks in for easy stacking
A plain shank halo gives a soli feel

Thank you for suggesting this, I don't think I have ever really considered a setting like this--I think when I have seen airline designs, I have always wondered why there was an airline....

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always loved that msop ring (wish I had grabbed it when she sold it). I also like that 1st setting that D&T had it in
with the lattice type basket and pave on the shank. I think white diamonds with colored stones always brings out the
color in a lovely way. I personally, dont feel like your current setting is doing much for it. I also dont feel like its a good
ring for stacking unless the rings you have to stack with it are pretty thin. Its just too big to stack with other wide rings (IMO).
These are all personal opinions and it looks like you may feel otherwise so...take my opinion for the 2 cents its worth!:lol:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your current setting. Great for stacking

syd33

Shiny_Rock
I have always loved that msop ring (wish I had grabbed it when she sold it). I also like that 1st setting that D&T had it in
with the lattice type basket and pave on the shank. I think white diamonds with colored stones always brings out the
color in a lovely way. I personally, dont feel like your current setting is doing much for it. I also dont feel like its a good
ring for stacking unless the rings you have to stack with it are pretty thin. Its just too big to stack with other wide rings (IMO).
These are all personal opinions and it looks like you may feel otherwise so...take my opinion for the 2 cents its worth!:lol:

Thank you for your post--of course everyone has a different opinions but that is why I posted for help--to hear all of those opinions :). Currently the ring is about 1/2 size too big for me, so I have to at least wear another ring with it to keep it on. Admittedly, my style probably borders on gaudy sometimes--so I am sure you are not alone in thinking the current stack is not great.

My five stone is my anniversary band and I wear it most of the time. If I end up changing the current setting to something that won't stack with the band then, it will not be worn very often. I do have a few RHR that won't stack and I do wear them, but I was thinking this would would get lots of wear...

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you are enjoying the setting right now! And that's a good thing lol. I think it is a really pretty setting and I think your diamond looks lovely in it. The settings with the pave on the band really jumped out at me though. Best of both worlds...basically a solitaire but with some contrast with white diamonds.

syd33

Shiny_Rock
It sounds like you are enjoying the setting right now! And that's a good thing lol. I think it is a really pretty setting and I think your diamond looks lovely in it. The settings with the pave on the band really jumped out at me though. Best of both worlds...basically a solitaire but with some contrast with white diamonds.
I don’t really like the first setting. I think I need to decide what I want...ability to stack or ideal setting. Maybe a simple bezel solitaire...

Reactions: AV_

Cristallo

Shiny_Rock
I love your current setting. Great for stacking

Your current setting really highlights your unique diamond and looks great with different wedding bands. I wouldn’t change the setting.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you are on the fence I would certainly keep it in your current setting until you find you have a change of heart. It may not
happen and you might enjoy the stacking with a simple solitaire.

syd33

Shiny_Rock
Your current setting really highlights your unique diamond and looks great with different wedding bands. I wouldn’t change the setting.

Thanks, it does stack well!

Since you are on the fence I would certainly keep it in your current setting until you find you have a change of heart. It may not happen and you might enjoy the stacking with a simple solitaire.

Definitely a good point. I am not in a hurry to make a decision. It is very possible I am just mesmerized by the new stone and the decision to reset it will be easier after it has been around a while.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I really appreciate it!!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The colour of your stone just call my name from every picture!

Then,

Lucida style bezel settings stack perfectly well.

syd33

Shiny_Rock
Lucida style bezel settings stack perfectly well.

Thank you for the idea. I am not familiar with a lot of the Tiffany settings, I will look into that style. I saved this one from era gem this weekend
BF29C7BF-B486-47B7-83D9-C4EAAD98D906.jpeg

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That is a beautiful bezel.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
@syd33 Is there a separate thread on your band? I'd love to see profile pics and stats if you don't mind sharing! :)

I don’t really like the pictured bezel 3 stone. I love your current solitaire setting, but if you want to have something “more” going on, a hexagonal milgrain bezel might be nice and still allow you to stack, or maybe bezel or halo ring guards? So you can have the simple solitaire for stacking as well as the bezel for other times? I don’t even know if those are possible or how much they would cost, but maybe those are an option!

syd33

Shiny_Rock
@syd33 Is there a separate thread on your band? I'd love to see profile pics and stats if you don't mind sharing! :)
It doesn’t have a dedicated thread. I purchased it preloved a few years ago. Stones are I-J and Si2-I1. It was made by David Klass and I had him make a matching plain band when I had it resized. DK has a video on Pinterest, I will try to link it.

syd33

Shiny_Rock
I don’t really like the pictured bezel 3 stone. I love your current solitaire setting, but if you want to have something “more” going on, a hexagonal milgrain bezel might be nice and still allow you to stack, or maybe bezel or halo ring guards? So you can have the simple solitaire for stacking as well as the bezel for other times? I don’t even know if those are possible or how much they would cost, but maybe those are an option!
Thanks for your reply. I thought about ring guards but didn’t see any that I liked, I could try for something custom, that is a good thought.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results