shape
carat
color
clarity

To Milgrain or Not to Milgrain?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
A bit ago I posted a bow Brooch that I was interested in repurposing the center piece into a ring. So, I sent the piece off the Sako and he’s been working his magic on it.

We are now at the point I need to decide if we add milgrain or leave it without. The pics are not of her in her final state yet, he will be softening the edges on the shanks she needs a final polish also.

Any suggestions on adding milgrain to some of the ring or do we leave it with clean lines and no milgrain?

IMG_3969.jpeg IMG_6721.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6720.jpeg
    IMG_6720.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6719.jpeg
    IMG_6719.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6718.jpeg
    IMG_6718.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6723.jpeg
    IMG_6723.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6722.jpeg
    IMG_6722.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 24

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's going to be beautiful no matter what you choose. I vote no milgrain and sticking to clean lines. . I don't know why but I grew tired of milgrain and don't wear my bands that have it. It could be that I am fickle though.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would do clean lines. It's a retro design and I feel like that is more keeping with what you would have seen then. Plus with all the step cuts, I think clean works better.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. Sleek and clean no milgrain.

I think possibly having some thinner walled areas done and leaving other thicker walled areas plain would also look nice, but choosing exactly where to stop it would be tricky.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A vote no milgrain, and that might be a first for me. Feels very architectural and I would keep clean lines. Also, feels 40s to me and I don’t associate milgrain with the 40s. Looks like something Joan Crawford would have worn in Mildred Pierce. Can’t wait to see handshots when it is done.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
It's going to be beautiful no matter what you choose. I vote no milgrain and sticking to clean lines. . I don't know why but I grew tired of milgrain and don't wear my bands that have it. It could be that I am fickle though.

I’m excited to see it in person :) I am normally not a milgrain girl, but he rehab’d another ring for me and his milgrain is super fine and gorgeous, so that was tempting me a little bit!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I would do clean lines. It's a retro design and I feel like that is more keeping with what you would have seen then. Plus with all the step cuts, I think clean works better.

I love all the clean lines and kind of like that the profile looks a little bit like a mustache ;-).

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I agree. Sleek and clean no milgrain.

I think possibly having some thinner walled areas done and leaving other thicker walled areas plain would also look nice, but choosing exactly where to stop it would be tricky.
I had thought about only doing some areas with milgrain and others without, hut also couldn’t decide on a stopping point! I’ve seen alot of deco pieces like that and it does look nice.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
A vote no milgrain, and that might be a first for me. Feels very architectural and I would keep clean lines. Also, feels 40s to me and I don’t associate milgrain with the 40s. Looks like something Joan Crawford would have worn in Mildred Pierce. Can’t wait to see handshots when it is done.

Definitely architectural, which ai love :) Once she arrives I’ll make sure and work on some handshots :)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was gonna say you can always add it later but it's hard to take it away. I vote enjoy it a while as is. I did think "clean" when I saw the ring, although I may not have expected that to be my answer if I had only seen the brooch. Great project and a great outcome -- congratulations to you and the artist!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, that is gorgeous, I love everything about this and how awesome that you repurposed and made a very wearable piece from a brooch.

I am normally am a big fan of milgrain, but for this one I vote for no milgrain to keep the clean line aesthetic, plus you can always add it if you decide later on.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I was gonna say you can always add it later but it's hard to take it away. I vote enjoy it a while as is. I did think "clean" when I saw the ring, although I may not have expected that to be my answer if I had only seen the brooch. Great project and a great outcome -- congratulations to you and the artist!
Thanks for your thoughts, I agree I could certainly add milgrain later. I do love its clean lines and am excited to see it in person :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, that is gorgeous, I love everything about this and how awesome that you repurposed and made a very wearable piece from a brooch.

I am normally am a big fan of milgrain, but for this one I vote for no milgrain to keep the clean line aesthetic, plus you can always add it if you decide later on.

Thanks-I am so glad the repurpose worked out. I am also excited that the rubies are natural! I don’t feel too bad about taking the brooch apart now that Sako said the center section and the bow sections were from a separate pieces and melded together.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks-I am so glad the repurpose worked out. I am also excited that the rubies are natural! I don’t feel too bad about taking the brooch apart now that Sako said the center section and the bow sections were from a separate pieces and melded together.

Well that is super interesting, they did a great job making it into a brooch. Also you have a great eye, very clever to see the center part as a ring. Natural rubies and they are a beautiful color!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Well that is super interesting, they did a great job making it into a brooch. Also you have a great eye, very clever to see the center part as a ring. Natural rubies and they are a beautiful color!

Thanks! The brooch was well done, but I alway had the feeling the center had a previous life. There was one ruby with damage but his father was able to find a perfect fit for the repair.

bilpa

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks! The brooch was well done, but I alway had the feeling the center had a previous life. There was one ruby with damage but his father was able to find a perfect fit for the repair. snow rider 3d
How much do you think the recovery rate of the brooch is? I mean will it look more modern or will it still have the old nuance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results