shape
carat
color
clarity

To Keep or Not to Keep... that is the question!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
That first hand shot you posted just blew me away! The pattern in the Asscher is just mesmerizing, and it shows up as well on your hand as it does in the close-up "beauty shots" of just the stone. I think the size looks quite substantial on your hand.

I think the Asscher would look great with Leon''s double claw prongs and tapered bullet side stones.
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=25
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=306 (The second one isn''t shown with an asscher, but I think the setting would look great on an asscher.

Tiffany makes a "Roaring ’20s" inspired setting with a square cut channel set band for RBs that I think would look fabulous with an asscher.
http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?sku=21636584 (But with tiny double claw prongs instead of those big prongs.)

joflier

Ideal_Rock
You could always try some shrinkwrap on the finger
3.gif
then the stone will look bigger!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 6:05:37 PM
Author: Kay
That first hand shot you posted just blew me away! The pattern in the Asscher is just mesmerizing, and it shows up as well on your hand as it does in the close-up ''beauty shots'' of just the stone. I think the size looks quite substantial on your hand.

I think the Asscher would look great with Leon''s double claw prongs and tapered bullet side stones.
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=25
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=306 (The second one isn''t shown with an asscher, but I think the setting would look great on an asscher.

Tiffany makes a ''Roaring ’20s'' inspired setting with a square cut channel set band for RBs that I think would look fabulous with an asscher.
http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?sku=21636584 (But with tiny double claw prongs instead of those big prongs.)
Ooooo... Thanks Kay for the great setting recommendations
36.gif
-- I am a big fan of the antique look... do you think the bullets would take away from the pattern of the asscher? Guess I need to see the settings with the stone (never seen bullets in person)... I was thinking just tapered baguettes on the sides -- so they showcase the center stone, but not too brillant to take away from it... I also wouldn''t mind bezeled rose-cut melee ... but might be hard to find.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
That stone is gorgeous. It would look great with the baguette "halo" posted on the first page.

ETA: However, shrinkage is certainly an issue no matter how big the stone. If you can find a stone as spectacular as this one, and you want to spring for the increase in $$$, I would encourage you to go for it.

DB

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
lovewhitediamonds, I loveyourdiamond.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 7:05:37 PM
Author: Harriet
lovewhitediamonds, I loveyourdiamond.
Right back at ya, Harriet
1.gif
-- I''ve been gazing at your re-set for weeks now! It is one of the most beautiful rings I''ve ever seen...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, are we keeping it?

Because, as an absolute Asscher lover, I''ve been wanting to scream, MY GOD woman, don''t let that thing go. It is to DIE FOR, and the size is PERFECT. Stones like this don''t come along every day. It''s killer, killer I tell ya.

But, I want to hold back if you''re still undecided. I don''t want to influence your decision.....
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 7:11:03 PM
Author: Ellen
So, are we keeping it?

Because, as an absolute Asscher lover, I''ve been wanting to scream, MY GOD woman, don''t let that thing go. It is to DIE FOR, and the size is PERFECT. Stones like this don''t come along every day. It''s killer, killer I tell ya.

But, I want to hold back if you''re still undecided. I don''t want to influence your decision.....
9.gif

A big fat DITTO from me! That diamond is GORGEOUS and it looks seriously PERFECT on your hand. I love the idea of baguette side stones and double claw prongs, personally. Although a dainty Leon Mege halo might be just the thing to put it over the edge for you, size wise. Either way, don''t send that diamond back! It''s BEAUTIFUL!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
So, are we keeping it?

9.gif
Hi Ellen -- thanks for your comment ... I change my mind about once every 2-3 hours...I''m insane.

But, the whole thing happened so fast, I just started my search 5 months ago, looking at RB''s then through PS fell hard for the asscher. Not too many places have them to see in person, and this was only the 4th stone I saw (with the other 3 being RA''s). If I would of known the DH was comfortable with this budget #, I would of looked in this range a long time ago!! Just feel I haven''t done my homework enough -- what if I see a better one? What if I like the EC better? Maybe an RB is for me for the long haul? This is such a big decision, and I KNOW I won''t be upgrading again ... and each time I turn to PS I learn more and see more beautiful bling!!!
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
love, I understand, really. Something we sometimes suggest to do when someone is in your position, is to ask them to imagine returning it, and then someone else buys it, and there''s no way you could get it back if you decided you did want it.

How would you feel?

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Great question Ellen --and I''ve asked myself that...

it was absolutely love at first sight for me... I was walking on air just thinking about the stone, imagining it on my finger, what setting etc etc... then the day finally came for it to "come home".... and that''s when the thinking began...

"...ok, I''ve got 30 days with this baby to ultimately decide if it is THE ONE.. the final upgrade.." UGH!

Obviously, I am not a very impulsive person... but I am standing on the edge, ready to "leap"...
6.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 9:27:32 PM
Author: lovewhitediamonds

it was absolutely love at first sight for me... I was walking on air just thinking about the stone, imagining it on my finger, what setting etc etc... then the day finally came for it to ''come home''.... and that''s when the thinking began...

''...ok, I''ve got 30 days with this baby to ultimately decide if it is THE ONE.. the final upgrade..'' UGH!

Obviously, I am not a very impulsive person... but I am standing on the edge, ready to ''leap''...
6.gif
Well, from what I''ve read on this forum about asschers, I''d give you this advice for the next 30 days:

Get it dirty.

Fingerprints, soap residue, lotion, grimy hair gunk, chicken soup, whatever. Make it look its worst. If you''re still in love with it, I''d say it''s a keeper. It seems that the biggest complaint from ex asscher owners around here is lack of fireball sparkle and how hard it is to keep clean. Go to town with this thing!
1.gif

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 9:31:31 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 11/23/2007 9:27:32 PM

it was absolutely love at first sight for me... I was walking on air just thinking about the stone, imagining it on my finger, what setting etc etc... then the day finally came for it to ''come home''.... and that''s when the thinking began...

''...ok, I''ve got 30 days with this baby to ultimately decide if it is THE ONE.. the final upgrade..'' UGH!

Obviously, I am not a very impulsive person... but I am standing on the edge, ready to ''leap''...
6.gif
Well, from what I''ve read on this forum about asschers, I''d give you this advice for the next 30 days:

Get it dirty.

Fingerprints, soap residue, lotion, grimy hair gunk, chicken soup, whatever. Make it look its worst. If you''re still in love with it, I''d say it''s a keeper. It seems that the biggest complaint from ex asscher owners around here is lack of fireball sparkle and how hard it is to keep clean. Go to town with this thing!
1.gif
Thanks TG great idea ... and thanks to everyone who has offered advice/support... I''m so thankful for all of you who share the same crazy gem love I do.... my mom thinks I''m nuts, and DH told me "he''s done" talking about it... so, thanks to all of you who have helped me through this HUGE decision!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/23/2007 7:20:50 PM
Author: thing2of2

So, are we keeping it?

9.gif

A big fat DITTO from me! That diamond is GORGEOUS and it looks seriously PERFECT on your hand. I love the idea of baguette side stones and double claw prongs, personally. Although a dainty Leon Mege halo might be just the thing to put it over the edge for you, size wise. Either way, don''t send that diamond back! It''s BEAUTIFUL!
Double ditto!!! It is perfect. It is HUGE. I can''t imagine it one mm larger. And a Leon setting like you first pictured with the baguettes is elegant and classy.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/23/2007 9:51:38 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Date: 11/23/2007 7:20:50 PM
Author: thing2of2

So, are we keeping it?

9.gif

Double ditto!!! It is perfect. It is HUGE. I can''t imagine it one mm larger. And a Leon setting like you first pictured with the baguettes is elegant and classy.
And a thritto here! That rock is fab, gorgeous!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock

is 64% table ok??? I know from reading Storms posts that 64 is max (and to use your eyes).... crown is 14.2 should that help the larger table in any way?

Also, what type of asscher is this? Wide Step? I''m not sure.... Thanks for the help!

widestepetcassch.jpg

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not an asscher person, but I would DEFINITELY keep that stone, even if I had to pay for it.
22.gif

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone know if GOG does "analysis" (for a charge of course) on stones not purchased at their store?
I''m tempted to get on a plane to NY and get all the goodies done on my stone to make sure....and satisfy my head.

...or am I totally over-reacting and should just chill out, stop obsessing and keep the stone ? (which I am leaning towards anyway)... I viewed one of GOG video''s and could kick myself that I didn''t go there for my choices... well, I still have 20 days...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2007 8:47:56 PM

is 64% table ok??? I know from reading Storms posts that 64 is max (and to use your eyes).... crown is 14.2 should that help the larger table in any way?

Also, what type of asscher is this? Wide Step? I''m not sure.... Thanks for the help!

Yes.

There are no "set in stone" specs for fancies. strm has studied these a lot, and definitely has his preferences, but that''s all they are. Great for rough guidelines, but only that. And besides, it''s already gotten his personal seal of approval.
28.gif

If I could give you one piece of advice, it would be, to not start scrutenizing the numbers, because at this point, they are really moot. You have the stone in front of you, and it''s truly, truly stunning.
2.gif

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for helping me through this Ellen -- I really appreciate your opinion and insight.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2007 8:53:49 AM
Does anyone know if GOG does ''analysis'' (for a charge of course) on stones not purchased at their store? I''m tempted to get on a plane to NY and get all the goodies done on my stone to make sure....and satisfy my head.
I expect that Jon (or just about anyone) would do a thorough ''analysis'' gratis for a fair shot at selling a 4-5 carat Asscher.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2007 9:05:12 AM
Thanks for helping me through this Ellen -- I really appreciate your opinion and insight.
You're welcome love.

I was typing when you were. If you can be happy with it as is, without running it through a bunch of tests, I would. As I said, what does it really matter what machines or numbers say, vs. what your eyes tell you? That IS the most important thing.

However, I know this is a huge purchase, emotionally and financially, so do whatever it will take to be truly happy.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I thought I had seen these posted but I can''t find them. I found these on the niceice site long ago. They seem to have disappeared. I think they are gorgeous settings for asschers.
DB

nice ice asscher baguettes.jpg

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I say "keep!!!" That stone is simply amazing. It looks like a gorgeous piece of art on your hand, I can only imagine what it would like like set.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s quite an unbelievable Asscher, no? I''ve seen a lot of asschers in person and in photos and I''ve never seen a genuine beauty that looks good from every angle every time.

Did you ever spill the beans on where you found it? And the stats? Which cert? As far as settings go ... Winfields has some beauties. Heard of ''em?

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Deco!
Thanks for replying -- I was hoping you would. I have enjoyed learning from your posts.
I''ve actually decided to keep searching.... no doubt this stone is a beauty, but I completely believe (and feel it deep down) that this is not meant to be my stone.. If I needed affirmation to "keep or not too keep" it''s probably not right....right?
It''s a gut thing. Plus, you would be so proud, I am smitten my the old asscher cuts... saw a 5.67ct asscher from 1915 today (swoon, swoon, swoon).. It had a 17.7% crown ... I''m in love, and the #''s didn''t even matter. It was truly beautiful, breathtaking...I''m a "deco" girl at heart too...
2.gif

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Well, in a strange twist of fate.... I KEPT IT !

I know, I know.... as confused as I was... I had it on one night, walked into the living room and it caught the lights of the christmas tree -- and blew me away.
30.gif
30.gif
.... I also saw it in a tapered baguette setting at a local B&M --- again, whoa.

It''s being set by someone who used to work at Cartier, and will post pics as soon as I get it!
1ct tw tapered baguettes in platinum.

Diamond buying is so tough ... what an emotional rollercoaster, but in the end, I feel great about my decision. Pics to come!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wonderful! Your ring will be outrageously beautiful, I look forward to hand shots!

cheers--Sharon

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I am so glad you are keeping it! It is stunning and a perfect size for your finger. I can''t wait to see it set!!!!

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
I''m all about size, but when I saw the pics I could not imagine the stone being larger---or any more beautiful! I am so excited for you & think you made the right choice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results