shape
carat
color
clarity

To improve or not to improve

PhnxRsng

Rough_Rock
Greetings, all.

I have read that for a round brilliant diamond, an H color, or even an I, will still appear perfectly white once set and going higher, you are paying for something that you won't be able to appreciate. I also understand that there is no reason other than personal preference to go above a clarity grade that will produce an eye clean diamond, usually S1. But in my case, I originally had a budget of $10,000, but have found at WF a 1-ct ACA H-SI1 stone that is eye clean for $6,600, including setting. What I am trying to figure now is whether I should be satisfied that I got out of it cheaper than I anticipated or if it would be worth it to improve on color or clarity. I would go larger, but worry that anything larger than 1 ct will look too big on my girlfriend's small hands.

This is my first time posting to this forum, but I have read it frequently and know that there are many of you who can offer me a helping hand, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
how small exactly are your girlfriend's hands?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An H ACA should be quite lovely...I always say go larger so DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome) doesnt set in so soon.
So, like slg was asking...how big/small are your GF's fingers?

PhnxRsng

Rough_Rock
I don't really know how to answer. I think she wears maybe a 5.5 or 6.0? I hadn't gotten that far in my research yet. :oops:

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
5.5 - 6 is pretty average for a woman's ring size. If she had a size 3 finger, I could see where you're coming from-- but in this case I would suggest putting the extra money towards a larger stone instead of "better" specs.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
file.jpg

About average coverage but going up in carat does not significantly increase coverage, so you have to weigh yourself how much do you want to increase is too much for the price paid.

PhnxRsng

Rough_Rock
Ah, thanks to both of you for responding. Based on that chart, it would seem that I could probably go up to about 2.0 ct without it looking too gaudy? Not that I would be able afford a diamond that big, but it is good to know that any size I can afford would look great on her finger.

Thanks again!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck deciding. :razz:

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
PhnxRsng said:
Ah, thanks to both of you for responding. Based on that chart, it would seem that I could probably go up to about 2.0 ct without it looking too gaudy? Not that I would be able afford a diamond that big, but it is good to know that any size I can afford would look great on her finger.

Thanks again!

very true! :bigsmile:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yep, if she is around a size 5-6 I think 1.25 carats would look nice :) if you are comfortable using more of your budget I would increase in size for sure

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results