shape
carat
color
clarity

To halo or not to halo...

Kellfizzell

Rough_Rock
Hi all a few months ago I got a beautiful 2.73 carat I SI2 round brilliant, excellent cut, etc., no fluorescence. It is totally eye clean and I love it! I wear a size 6.5 ring, so of course it does not look as big on me as it would on a 5 or smaller. When we were originally looking, i was really loving the halos. I never dreamed i would get a 2.73 carat, so i assumed we would go smaller and put a halo on it (fiance is not a fan of the halo). I told my fiance to get a simple setting and put the money into the stone, with the idea that you can always reset it for much less money, but upgrading the stone size is much harder. So now i can't stop thinking about the halo effect and i don't know what to do, HELP!!!

Pictures below!

image_4136.jpg
image_4135.jpg image_3926.jpg image_3925.jpg image_3923.jpg image_3920.jpg image_3921.jpg
img_5980.jpg img_5509.jpg img_5705.jpg img_5731.jpg

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your engagement ring is a gift from him to you. You asked him to put the money into the stone and he does not like halos. Will it hurt his feelings if you reset particularly into a style you know he does not like?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your choice entirely, of course, but I LOVE your ring. I think the proportions look fabulous on your hand, and it has just the right amount of bling with the pave shank - which I think extends the look of your diamond.

I wouldn't touch it - I think it's big, elegant and blingy, and it has a very obvious presence on your hand!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Your ring looks beautiful on your hand! The size looks very nice! :appl: I think you may be suffering from DSS! :naughty: Also, I seem to remember that you have always loved the look of a halo. I would keep it as is for now. It is a stunning ring! You can always change it later if you still want a halo after you've lived with it awhile longer. :doh:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I would wait before changing anything. Your ring is super beautiful and is an eye popper. The stone really, REALLY jumps out to me saying "look at me!!" I am a huge fan of focusing the attention on the center stone. Your fiancé did a fabulous job on getting a beautiful stone btw. If you got a halo, for sure the finger coverage would increase and the overall presence of the ring would be more significant, but your gorgeous center wouldn't take center stage the way it does now. Just my 2c and of course my personal preference.

I would also wait until I had my wedding band. What kind of band are you thinking about? Choosing the right band can complete a look and settle your roving eye, for a while anyway. It has taken me at least a year of trial and error to finally come across the perfect band. Now when I look at my set, my center finally does not look small to me. I have a 2.59 on a 4.5 finger, and all along it did look small until now. Crazy right?!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1451717555|3969547 said:
Your choice entirely, of course, but I LOVE your ring. I think the proportions look fabulous on your hand, and it has just the right amount of bling with the pave shank - which I think extends the look of your diamond.

I wouldn't touch it - I think it's big, elegant and blingy, and it has a very obvious presence on your hand!

+1

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for leaving it as it is. It's beautiful.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
I think to halo it depends on what you do for a living and how often you wish to wear the ring cuz daily wear can be rather rough on small set stones

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too prefer the ring as it is for its proportion on the finger and hand.

DK :))

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
+1 keep it as it is, it is great size and looks beautiful on you! :appl: :appl: :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forget about the halo. This ring looks perfect on you - substantial without being over the top. It is a very classy and elegant look and I would not change a thing about your ring!!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a BIG fan of halos (obviously) but your ring is just right! If you want to satisfy the halo itch I would suggest a diamond pendant with a halo or maybe earrings? You could also do a colored stone right hand ring in a nice halo type setting. There are plenty of other options while you can leave your ER (which really is perfect) as is.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1451739704|3969595 said:
Forget about the halo. This ring looks perfect on you - substantial without being over the top. It is a very classy and elegant look and I would not change a thing about your ring!!

Completely agree. Your ring is gorgeous and perfect just as it is. :love:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your 6.5 finger is itty bitty compared to my 9 :lol: . I love your ring as is and it is PURrrrrrfect on your finger!

I would suggest aiming for resetting on your anniversary. That way, you have a year to save and live with your ring as is. When you reach your anniversary, if DSS has absolutely set in and your hankering for a halo has not gone away, go for the halo! If you decide at that point you are satisfied with the ring as is, you can put the saved money towards the wedding ring and/or the wedding!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Count me in as another vote for keeping the ring as it is--it really is gorgeous. Its very classy & sophisticated. It looks great on your hand, I do like halos, but at some point they can become 'too much', IMHO. Your ring was designed to be exactly what he asked for, a simple, clean aesthetic. It really is beautiful.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
It's perfectly gorgeous and substantial looking, but if your heart sings for a halo, then you should talk about what you'd like your dream setting to look like down the road.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd stick with it as is for now and aim for new setting as an anniversary gift. By that time your tastes may change anyway as many PSers have discovered :cheeky:

Kellfizzell

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much ladies for all of the advice and opinions, really! It is so crazy how all my life I wanted a 2 carat and thought it was more than enough for me, then i get a near 3 carat and i start dreaming of bigger things, what is wrong with me (DSS, obviously)! Part of the problem, i think, is that i am an attorney who works in a firm on 5th avenue in Manhattan, so everyday i am seeing these ridiculously huge stones which makes me think of my 2.73 as small (which is crazy). I should stop comparing to others and love what i have! :love:

I think your idea of waiting for an anniversary is a good one. My fiance would probably be sad if i tried to reset the ring that he loves so much, he always wanted something classic and timeless. For a band I am thinking an eternity band, maybe 3ct tw, so you are probably right that together with the band it will complete the look!

Thanks again for weighing in and bringing me back down to reality!!! :clap:

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is so stunning! A diamond band (or two ;)) will give even more sparkly to an already perfect ring. You don't need to change a thing! Congratulations!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Posted a couple days ago about my similar dilemma! I have a 3 carat emerald with 2 trapezoids and ALWAYS think about haloing it! I really think they are just two entirely different looks. Halos are definitely more bling, make your ring look bigger, are on trend. On the other hand, solitaires are classic, understated, and to me can say "I'm happy with the size of my diamond." But really, I'm honestly 50/50 on the whole solitaire halo issue! Cannot decide! Love your ring as is but go with your heart. And I most definitely know how you feel... Always thought I would be over the moon for a 3ct Emerald, now I think a little bigger would be perfect :wall:

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
I'm also a halo lover, but I honestly think this ring is simply splendid as is. No need to halo. I think the size of it and natural beauty speak for itself. It's gorgeous!!! :love:

pumpkinbunny

Rough_Rock
I have a halo cushion e-ring from Ultimate Jewelers, so I'm biased and I think they do gorgeous halos. If it is what you wanted before you got your ring, and you still want it, just go for it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks PERFECT as it is. I am concerned that if you halo it you will actually regret it. That it will look TOO big, and well, like you haloed it to make it look even bigger. It really looks perfect on your hand.

DSS is a nightmare, isnt it?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with those who find it proportionally perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. It is simply beautiful. ;))

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GAWD!!!! - that ring is gorgeous, classy and classic on your hand - it looks like perfection. Since you're asking ....... NO to halo IMHO

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Love the dainty pave shank and 9mm is a substantial look on your finger. If you halo it "they" will "think" the diamond is smaller than it is and you "needed" a halo to "enhance" the size. It is so classic and lovely I would not change it at all. In the future MAYBE a sub-halo would be nice if you want a change but I really do love your ring just like it is. Your fiancee did an awesome job on the choices he made. Putting the money into the stone as you suggested is a very wise decision.

Thanks for posting your gorgeous ring!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Such a good point areil44. Although I do love halo and often wish I did it, every time I see one I think the stone is actually smaller than it actually is....

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your ring looks incredible as is. Why mess with perfection? I vote halo earrings :)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your ring looks fabulous on your hand. The diamond is gorgeous so IMO I wouldn't put it in a halo. As many others have said already why mess with perfection?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results