color
clarity

To halo or not to halo...

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Why not save up buy bigger stone and halo it for RH

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is absolutely beautiful and a dream size. I wouldn't halo it, it is a classic style and never dates in my opinion.

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
I absolutely love your setting!!!! I do love solitaires for its clean and simple look. Solitaires look great when you stack them up with stacking bands. I do own a 3 stone, halo and solitaire. To be honest I do feel the 3 stone ring and halo ring are a little too much at times, especially when it's stacked together with my wedding bands or other diamond stacking bands. It can be "too much" for daily wear and I find myself feeling awkward when wearing them. Hence these days I end up choosing my solitaire.

A solitaire setting like yours is both substantial (it's huge on your hands!!) and really bling (with the side diamonds). I think your ring is beautiful, solid looking, stunning and it represents his love.

You can always get a OEC and halo it after a few years as an anniversary and increase your collection. I only decided to get a halo after a few years. Take your time and enjoy this beautiful ring :dance:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My husband doesn't like halos, either. When we were researching for my 10 year upgrade, I TOTALLY wanted a halo. I wore a fake one around for a few months to make sure and I really loved it. When it came time to buy a diamond, my husband was adamant that he didn't like halos, and he decided to go for a stone that was as big as the halo I imagined. I missed the halo for a while, but now I am really into solitaires. It's funny how that changes. I am about to reset for the second time since the original upgrade ring, but that's about color, not size, and it's going to remain a solitaire. :)

Kellfizzell

Rough_Rock
Sphene, the 2.73 was already way beyond budget (nearly 30k), so with saving for a wedding and other expenses, i don't think a 3carat+ stone is in my future for at least 10 years! lol. I really love my stone and don't want to change it, just thinking of ways to maybe dress it up!

THank you again everyone for the advice! I'm turning my attention to finding the perfect wedding band, i think with a 3 carat eternity band it will complete the look. :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is amazing, has great oomph and looks super sparkly.
I must say it also looks great on your hand and big in a good way. Personally I would not halo it: your stone now truly takes center stage, which looks so elegant and sophisticated.

I agree with the advice to first experiment with a blingy weddingband to see if that scratches the halo itch.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1451832073|3969986 said:
My husband doesn't like halos, either. When we were researching for my 10 year upgrade, I TOTALLY wanted a halo. I wore a fake one around for a few months to make sure and I really loved it. When it came time to buy a diamond, my husband was adamant that he didn't like halos, and he decided to go for a stone that was as big as the halo I imagined.:)
love this story! I will keep it in mind and look for a nice guy who doesn't like halos : )

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne said:
My husband doesn't like halos, either. When we were researching for my 10 year upgrade, I TOTALLY wanted a halo. I wore a fake one around for a few months to make sure and I really loved it. When it came time to buy a diamond, my husband was adamant that he didn't like halos, and he decided to go for a stone that was as big as the halo I imagined.:)
love this story! I will keep it in mind and look for a nice guy who doesn't like halos : )

Haha, it might not surprise you Jimmianne, that Greg does *not* like halos either and in fact was quite definite in expressing his dislike of halos. ::)
Of course that had nothing to do with him purchasing Bea for me and he would have had no problem if I really wanted to halo whatever diamond we got because he knows it is my ring and my decision ultimately. He just wanted to get me the ring of my dreams being the darling husband that he is.
1144973q2eo3d4l4g1.gif

Kellfizzell, I just want to say again how gorgeous your ring is and how beautiful it looks on your lovely hand. :love: You and your FI did very well finding a beautiful ring for you and good luck with the search for the wedding band and wedding. Wishing you much happiness!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DSS. DSS. DSS. Enjoy your ring as it is beautiful and a very nice size. I would not halo as I am anti-halo for ERs.
Three truths in Engagement Ring World:
1. Someone will always have a bigger stone;
2. The bigger stone may not be a better stone; and
3. Your fiance is better than theirs.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would not halo it because I feel like your ring is already stunning. Also, it was your fiance that gave it to you as is so cherish it.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
missy|1451916075|3970373 said:
Jimmianne said:

Haha, it might not surprise you Jimmianne, that Greg does *not* like halos either and in fact was quite definite in expressing his dislike of halos. ::)
Of course that had nothing to do with him purchasing Bea for me and he would have had no problem if I really wanted to halo whatever diamond we got because he knows it is my ring and my decision ultimately. He just wanted to get me the ring of my dreams being the darling husband that he is.
1144973q2eo3d4l4g1.gif

Haha, Jimmianne! :) :) :)

Missy, my husband also said he would let me get a halo if I really wanted one, but he was quite vocal about the fact that he didn't like them and would prefer that I not do that, and I wanted him to be as excited about the ring as I was. :)

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm starting to notice a trend... Why don't husbands like halos? Mine definitely wants me to keep my Emerald cut with trapezoids, strongly prefers that. Wonder if husbands just don't like the bling? I have and always will, love halos:)

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hubby does not like halos at all either. He thinks they take away from the center stone and that the center stone should be the star, lol. I think halos are absolutely gorgeous, but luckily I haven't liked any on me, so we agreed no halo (but for different reasons!).

Kellfizzell, your stone and setting are absolutely stunning just the way they are. Your fiancé really knocked it out of the park so to speak. You'll have many options in the future to go bigger or bling it out :)) . Looking forward to seeing what wedding band you choose to pair it with! :appl: :naughty:

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I think your ring is gorgeous as is, buuuut, I don't think you shouldn't completely forget about the halo. I agree that you should keep it as is for at least another year, then reevaluate and see how you feel. If you're still dreaming of a halo after giving it time, then by all means do what will make your heart sing.

That said, I do LOVE LOVE LOVE your ring as is.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite|1452025134|3971166 said:
I'm starting to notice a trend... Why don't husbands like halos? Mine definitely wants me to keep my Emerald cut with trapezoids, strongly prefers that. Wonder if husbands just don't like the bling? I have and always will, love halos:)

I guess my DH is the outlier, he loves halos! In fact, it was I myself who didn't like halos until a few years ago. Then I set a few stones into halos for the design aesthetic, and now I like them and he loves them. I just got a new colored stone and was having an out loud conversation with myself about how I should set it, and he chimed in with "A halo! I love your halos!" Lol :lol:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love halos too and I have a feeling you might not be happy until you go that route. You can always keep this setting and go back to it if you don't like the halo. You mentioned getting a 3 carat band to bling it up but I think that a band that size might bring about your DSS more BC it might overwhelm your lovely stone. I have a 2.24 stone and I think that the thinner the band, the bigger my ering looks. Plus a 3 carat band will be just as pricey as a nice halo, so you might as well invest in the halo. I'm sure your hubby will be happy when he sees how much happier you will be. Just research carefully what type of halo you want. That has been my issue. I'm always torn between cushion and round shaped halos and find myself always wanting the one that I don't have. Please keep us posted .

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
No halo is my vote, let that beauty shine.

victorian10

Rough_Rock
Your ring is perfection. I wouldn't do the halo thing... My preference is that halos be left to RHR or to showcase a smaller stone... much smaller than yours.

niter

Rough_Rock
That is a stand alone stone and is just lovely as is. I think the cost of the halo would be better applied to a RHR or anniversary band!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I would leave it as it is, and get a gemmy colored stone ring, with a big honking diamond halo as a RHR. Big rings seem like a good idea, but it's nice when you don't have to wear them. I sometimes feel uncomfortable wearing big jewelry.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is gorgeous! I love a solitaire for an engagement ring the most. Then I would halo or make a 3 stone for all other rings I have! Your ring is really beautiful as it is. It is very hard to be in a social/work circle that has a different size level of diamonds. I am in the opposite situation..I live in the south and the average e-ring size of my friends and family is one carat, and mine is huge at 2.3 and I am sometimes uncomfortable with that. So I can totally relate to the feeling, truly.

I will tell you that many people here have tried 3 ct eternities and decided those were best as standalone rings. It will stick out further than your e-ring. Also, a thin diamond wedding band adds sparkle but makes your e-ring stone stand out and look larger. There was an instance of an eternity damaging the e-ring (it was a little loose on her and hit against the e-ring and chipped the big diamond). Fortunately they had insurance so were able to replace the diamond easily. But they went back to Tiffany (where they got the bands, only) and got her a beautiful thin diamond band and she wore the large eternity on her right hand or on her left when she didn't want to wear her wedding set.

Before he ever buys you more diamonds (such as studs, etc.), please come here first and let us help you find the stones. We could have gotten you into 3 cts in an excellent cut stone with a $30k budget.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is gorgeous! And huge!!! Did you keep it as is? What band did you find? I agree with others, don't get too big of a band, it might dwarf that large stone you have. You don't have to go skinny with your band, just don't go huge. Go to Tiffany's and try on their .96 shared prong 7-stone band. It is not an eternity, but it will give you an idea what .13pointer stones would look like. And it has plenty of extra bling. I have trouble with my eternity band, I keep banging it on things when the palm of my hand hits surfaces, so see if they are for you. I wear my 7-stone for everyday. I can't wait to see you complete wedding set.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
I think your ring is absolutely perfect as is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results