Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

To be reset: 3-stone ring and two 1.5caraters - HELP!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
So I've got new sides for my 3-stone ring, Two lovely 0.80ct's. Links as below:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104052884003
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104054189002

I'm exploring the option of having my existing LM setting re-worked by BGD. I don't know if they can or not. If they can't (most likely they won't be able to ;( ), I'd need a new setting and would def love some suggestions from you guys. I'm after a non-pave style, need it to be practical since it'll be a RHR, low set with a thinner and narrow band. I haven't yet decided whether to go for a modern style or vintage.

The two sidestones of 1.5ct approx each are going to be reset into stud earrings. I don't know yet if I'd like them to be halo'ed, bezelled (wt or without millgrain), or just plain (and then I don't know if I'd like 3-prong, 4-prong, 6-prong or 8-prong). At the moment, I wear my 4.6ctw 3-prong martini studs almost on a daily basis. Also, I don't know if this matters, but eventually I'd like to add larger pear drops to these new earrings (like 2.5-3ct each pear, but muuuch much later).

Thank you.
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,763
Would you be reworking the new ring through BGD or back through Leon/other? I tend to think three-stone rings look best super simple, non paved and all that.
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
ame|1319633044|3047870 said:
Would you be reworking the new ring through BGD or back through Leon/other? I tend to think three-stone rings look best super simple, non paved and all that.
I'm going through BGD first. I'm a bit p...off with Leon since he scr*wed up my existing 3-stone setting, not quite his usual standard!

I'd tend to agree with you. I'm more inclined to go for something sleek and simple. But I also love antique styles with some filigree (sp?), like the one shown below from Lang. What do you think?

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-2098
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,164
Phoenix, I think the ring will be perfect with the new stones! I was just looking at your other thread and thought how gorgeous the current setting is. I am doubtful that it can be reworked, but I definitely want to know if it can be. Even though my pieces are miniature compared to yours, I have very much the same taste. I love elegant and simple and I also adore the antique style settings. However, the conclusion I have come to personally is that gorgeous antique settings are at their best set with old cut style stones. That Lang ring is perfect because it has OEC's in it. I prefer August Vintage stones, though, because they are perfectly cut. I have an antique style ring with an AV stone on my wishlist. But I would reset your ring in a very similar setting to what you have now. You could consider letting Brian make it, or you could go with Victor Canera who seems to be able to make perfect handmade settings.

As far as the earrings go, I am just wondering if you'll really wear them since you are used to your 2+ ct. studs? The only thing I can think of is to make them into leverbacks. You need to do something different than studs, I think, because I don't think you would wear them very much. (I don't think stones that size really need a halo like the ones below, though.)

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5595
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,763
I would see if you can sell those two back to BGD honestly. Because I agree with DS, I don't think you'll wear them as often as you wear your others. Firstly it would save money towards your dream diamond asscher or whatever, AND secondly save towards the pear drops that you can use with your current studs.
 

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 7, 2004
Messages
4,707
Phoenix- How did Leon screw up your 3 stone? Do you have pics? I'm curious...
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
ame|1319635080|3047889 said:
For me, that's way too much going on. I like simple and clean for just the 3 diamonds to stand out.

Of his settings:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5460
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5450

Why not discuss an idea with victor canera?
I do love the Truth setting, esp since seeing mom2boys' gorgeous new 3-stone ring. That's def one of my options should BGD not be able to re-work the existing setting/

I have also started talking to Victor also. I think his work is simply divine! :love:

You're right, simple and clean seems to be the way to go.

Thanks, ame.
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
diamondseeker2006|1319637036|3047909 said:
Phoenix, I think the ring will be perfect with the new stones! I was just looking at your other thread and thought how gorgeous the current setting is. I am doubtful that it can be reworked, but I definitely want to know if it can be. Even though my pieces are miniature compared to yours, I have very much the same taste. I love elegant and simple and I also adore the antique style settings. However, the conclusion I have come to personally is that gorgeous antique settings are at their best set with old cut style stones. That Lang ring is perfect because it has OEC's in it. I prefer August Vintage stones, though, because they are perfectly cut. I have an antique style ring with an AV stone on my wishlist. But I would reset your ring in a very similar setting to what you have now. You could consider letting Brian make it, or you could go with Victor Canera who seems to be able to make perfect handmade settings.

As far as the earrings go, I am just wondering if you'll really wear them since you are used to your 2+ ct. studs? The only thing I can think of is to make them into leverbacks. You need to do something different than studs, I think, because I don't think you would wear them very much. (I don't think stones that size really need a halo like the ones below, though.)

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5595
DS, thank you for coming over here to help me. I suspect you're 100% right about the Lang setting with antique cuts - but of course! :))

So BGD or VC, huh? I'm inclined to go wt either one of them since I lurrrvee Brian and Lesley and Victor is a darling too.

I LOVE the setting you posted, but given I'd want to pair these puppies up with pear-drops in the future, would I not be better off setting them into studs instead|?
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
ame|1319640649|3047945 said:
I would see if you can sell those two back to BGD honestly. Because I agree with DS, I don't think you'll wear them as often as you wear your others. Firstly it would save money towards your dream diamond asscher or whatever, AND secondly save towards the pear drops that you can use with your current studs.
I bought them from JA actually. I asked a few vendors and the best I got was $22k. I'd LOVE to sell them, but given that the current market value for those is approx $33-36k, not to mention I paid more than the best offer, it's kind of hard to let them go at that price, ya'know?!

Oh the pear drops, I'm thinking I'd want them for my 50th, so quite a few years for DH to save up for them - I'd need something large and blingy to soothe reaching that milestone! :wink2:
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
ForteKitty|1319641038|3047950 said:
Phoenix- How did Leon screw up your 3 stone? Do you have pics? I'm curious...
Hmmm...there are quite a few problems, not least the size of the ring is smaller than what I'd requested (despite stating so clearly on the WO, email and during a tel conversation wt Rachael just before the ring was shipped), the two sides are unevenly placed (one higher than the other), one of the prongs does not rest on the stone (instead there's a gap), and the arrows are placed all over the place. This is very unlike the other two pieces of jewellery I've had Leon done.....so am not sure what the heck happened!! :confused:

I'm feeling p... and that's too bad, since I tend to be very loyal and once I find someone I love I tend to stick with them (like BGD).
 

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 7, 2004
Messages
4,707
and he wont fix it??
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
ForteKitty|1319643688|3047993 said:
and he wont fix it??
To be absolutely honest, I haven't asked him. I figure since I repeated my request for a 4 1/4 size ring and still got a size 4 (makes a HUGE difference since it was supposed to be a RHR and now I can only wear it on my LH - I like my rings to fit snug), I wouldn't get anywhere. Sooooo anyway....[shrug]....

Anyhow, one more thought: there are so many problems wt this setting, I doubt if LM would want to listen to me and fix all of them...ya'know ?!
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,164
I agree with not wanting to deal with him fixing the setting especially since it probably would need to be remade anyway. I'd probably go with Victor, personally. I'd love to see his version of the same setting.

I can't remember what those 1.5 stones are...F VS2?
 

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 7, 2004
Messages
4,707
The new sidestones would look better too. The ones in your ring really overpower the center stone.
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
diamondseeker2006|1319644633|3048004 said:
I agree with not wanting to deal with him fixing the setting especially since it probably would need to be remade anyway. I'd probably go with Victor, personally. I'd love to see his version of the same setting.

I can't remember what those 1.5 stones are...F VS2?
Thank you so much, DS.

I am inclined to go with Victor too if BGD can't fix the existing setting. I'm sure Victor would be able to come up with something delish!! :lickout:

Oh those two stones: one is a 1.55ct F Si1 and the other 1.52ct G Si1. I wish they were both F VS2!! :twirl:
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
ForteKitty|1319644774|3048008 said:
The new sidestones would look better too. The ones in your ring really overpower the center stone.
I'm glad you think so :)) . I'd hate to get it wrong again this time. Thank you, ForteKitty.
 

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 1, 2011
Messages
3,692
I'm little biased over the BGD truth setting, but I think VC will do great work also if you can find a style that you like. I think the .8 ct stones will be perfect for your new ring--can't wait to see it!

Another thought--how about turning the 2.66 ct diamond from a necklace into VC's Emilya halo or Anne Marie split shank halo?

Not sure at this point what should be done about the 1.5ct'ers. Can you trade them into JA for a step cut diamond? I love PM1742's 3 stone emerald ring! My next big purchase (several years down the road) will probably be a 3 stone emerald ring, too!
 

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
12,677
I think I, too, am in the camp of having something made that is very similar to your current three stone setting. Large stones just look better to me in simple, well made settings. I think your new proportions will be so much better - letting that center stone shine!
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
mom2boys|1319674253|3048326 said:
I'm little biased over the BGD truth setting, but I think VC will do great work also if you can find a style that you like. I think the .8 ct stones will be perfect for your new ring--can't wait to see it!

Another thought--how about turning the 2.66 ct diamond from a necklace into VC's Emilya halo or Anne Marie split shank halo?

Not sure at this point what should be done about the 1.5ct'ers. Can you trade them into JA for a step cut diamond? I love PM1742's 3 stone emerald ring! My next big purchase (several years down the road) will probably be a 3 stone emerald ring, too!
Thank you for your vote, mom2boys. I'm so happy that you guys think this time round, I may actually get the proportion right after all. YAY!!

I'm quite partial to the Truth setting too, after seeing your GORGEOUS 3-stone ring! :love: :love:

Hmmm...the 2.66ct diamond, I'm so tempted to do that and have actually thought & contacted Victor about doing the Emily halo (that's the one Frankie has, right?). I also miss wearing a solitaire as my 3ct is set very high and I *hate* wearing it as when I wear it, I keep knocking it against things - not a good thing to do! :knockout:

I'd love to trade in the 1.50ct's and free up some funds. I wanted to save as much as possible for my Octavia upgrade but alas Jon (or rather his cutter) hasn't been able to come up with anything in that dept! :(( and that's why I'm able to do a bit of spending right now....not quite my target, but hey this 3-stone ring HAS to be reset, right?! :wink2: I also love EC's and would love a big honking EC somewhere down the road, if I don't get my Octavia. I'll keep my eyes peeled for when you get your 3-stone EC, that'd be absolutely delish!! :love: :love:
 

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 1, 2011
Messages
3,692
I think you should definitely reset your 3 ct diamond into a lower setting soon (maybe a cathedral setting to protect it?) so that it is more wearable! Also, I don't think you should halo that one at all. I think the Emilya halo would be better suited for your 2.66ct diamond! FYI, if you're looking for a flush setting, the truth 3 stone will allow for a band to sit this way.
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
mom2boys|1319692330|3048536 said:
I think you should definitely reset your 3 ct diamond into a lower setting soon (maybe a cathedral setting to protect it?) so that it is more wearable! Also, I don't think you should halo that one at all. I think the Emilya halo would be better suited for your 2.66ct diamond! FYI, if you're looking for a flush setting, the truth 3 stone will allow for a band to sit this way.
I'm more inclined to reset the 2.66ct diamond actually, as I'm kind of "saving" the 3ct for a resale later. A vendor has made a fairly decent offer to buy it but am sitting on it, as am waiting for a big honking diamond to come along...silly logic, really! :tongue:

I think either the Emilya halo or a lovely solitaire like the Truth or something similar would be divine! :love:

Thanks again.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    What is PriceScope?
    What is PriceScope?
    What is Diamond Color?
    What is Diamond Color?

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top