shape
carat
color
clarity

To 5 stone or not to 5 stone...

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
Hello!

So over Christmas I shared my Christmas gift with all of you then I got bitten by the bling bug immediately after.

I have a 3 stone ring - 0.3ct, 0.75ct, 0.3ct - redone in Sept 2019 due to a warped band. Last night I casually mentioned to the husband how it would be nicer and fuller to pair my Cartier Trinity with a graduated 5 stone band. He uh huh'd it which is as good as a, "Go ahead if you have the funds for it." So.... new project (argh! in addition to my diamond bangle project!!!!).

I have a pair of ear studs, approx 0.25ct each, which I do not reach for anymore and I am planning on using them to flank the sides of my 3 stones.

I am a size 5, so I reckon there will be more than enough bling to cover my finger. Only thing is, how do I go about ensuring it tapers down nicely to the sides vs looking like a strip of stones? I want to see graduation but also want to avoid it looking too bulky or too high off the finger. The other worry is the size of the 4 side stones are too close to each other.

Can those with graduated 5 stones with similar specs or ring size please share some pics of yours (side profile, on finger pics)?

Thanks lots!! ❤

Reactions: AV_

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did just this with my e-ring, but with different proportions. I had a .35, .70, .35 3 stone, and I added a .54 and a .56 in between the original three. I feel your design might look more along the lines of a solitaire with sidestones, moreso than a tapered 5 stone.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side profile. I just asked my jeweller to make sure the stones 'hugged' my finger and followed the curve, rather than sticking up.

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
I did just this with my e-ring, but with different proportions. I had a .35, .70, .35 3 stone, and I added a .54 and a .56 in between the original three. I feel your design might look more along the lines of a solitaire with sidestones, moreso than a tapered 5 stone.

28547816_10156077229634687_1237342976_o.jpg

Your ring started it all for me i'm fangirl-ing over it now!!! Can I just say I adore it.

If I am interpreting it right, my 0.25ct stones would look like side stones vs sourcing for smaller (maybe 0.15ct x2) to achieve a more tapered look? That was what I feared, it would not look tapered but more like equal side stones.

I want to avoid purchasing new stones and instead repurpose existing ones, so I dont end up accumulating more.

Thanks for sharing yours, I will need to relook this.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the compliment, that's so lovely! Is there a jeweller near you that can render a mock up on a computer (CAD) so you can get a visual for how it looks? I love both looks, but like you the .54 and .56 were re-purposed studs, so it's what I had to work with,

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the compliment, that's so lovely! Is there a jeweller near you that can render a mock up on a computer (CAD) so you can get a visual for how it looks? I love both looks, but like you the .54 and .56 were re-purposed studs, so it's what I had to work with,

I'm currently in Denmark and am headed back Singapore (where we live) next Thurs. Most places there do not do mock ups without a commitment of going with them for the full work.

As an idea, this is how my 3 stone is currently set.

20191227_103239.jpg

When I wear it, I feel it is not enough coverage but in photos it looks like it covers just nicely. Abit concerned a 5 stone with my repurposed stones may look overwhelming (I have hands that belong to a 12 yr old child ‍♀)?

20191227_103304.jpg

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I adore both 5 stones and 3 stones because I love the way horizontal coverage looks on my finger. But also they are so versatile and so much fun as projects. Pretty much any proportion can work depending on what you can work with. I love it that the end result is unique depending on what sized stones you use among others. Yours will be lovely too.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Are your earrings at home in Singapore? Once you have your earrings in hand again, can you try to hold one of them in place on the side of your ring so we can get an idea of what it will look like? It's not perfect, but I do this at home to get an idea of what something will look like.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, you have a beautiful 3 stone but I can see you wanting to change it up especially if you don’t wear the 0.5ctw studs. Are you able to try on similar styles in person? I think that will give you a better visualisation of how a 5 stone will look on you.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
@jchristiansen I love your 3 stone, its proportions, and the coverage it has currently. What about making a new 5 stone with all 0.25ct stones?

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
Are your earrings at home in Singapore? Once you have your earrings in hand again, can you try to hold one of them in place on the side of your ring so we can get an idea of what it will look like? It's not perfect, but I do this at home to get an idea of what something will look like.

I didnt bring it on this trip, which i should have. I arrive back next Fri evening so i'll do just that.

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
OP, you have a beautiful 3 stone but I can see you wanting to change it up especially if you don’t wear the 0.5ctw studs. Are you able to try on similar styles in person? I think that will give you a better visualisation of how a 5 stone will look on you.

thanks! i'm able to try one when i'm back next week. no jewellers near me unfortunately.

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
@jchristiansen I love your 3 stone, its proportions, and the coverage it has currently. What about making a new 5 stone with all 0.25ct stones?

thank you. i've been going back and forth about this. i like your idea though. turn it into a RHR.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you still wear the palon band and the delicate diamond band with your ring?

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
Do you still wear the palon band and the delicate diamond band with your ring?

since Christmas I have been wearing it with a Cartier Trinity my husband gifted me.

over lunch today i kept looking at it and the hubs told me not to add on anymore for fear that it may make my small hands look to clunky. he told me to sleep on it abit more.

decisions decisions... cant wait to be back home next week to play around with my studs.

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
I completely understand the need for change and variety, but just as an outsider looking in, I think your ring is beautifully proportioned just the way it is. I am partial to five stone rings right hand rings. If it were me I would save those studs and as budget allowed buy 3 more. Safe travels home!

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
I completely understand the need for change and variety, but just as an outsider looking in, I think your ring is beautifully proportioned just the way it is. I am partial to five stone rings right hand rings. If it were me I would save those studs and as budget allowed buy 3

thank you! i think i should perhaps look at exploring a 5 stone RHR instead with the existing studs.

i have to find something else to focus on for this next week bef I head home. idle mind and all that

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Once the stones are set girdle to girdle (in fact they are slightly overlapping, but with no discernible space between girdles), the ring will look more like a band. The graduation sounds good to me.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to avoid purchasing new stones and instead repurpose existing ones, so I dont end up accumulating more.

I think you shouldn't worry about this and should look at what your ring would look like with 12 to 15 pointers on the ends. If you get a five stone and end up wearing it all the time, you won't have actually accumulated more stones that are sitting around, only ones being worn. Perhaps you could sell or trade in your earrings to help fund your reset.

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
I think you shouldn't worry about this and should look at what your ring would look like with 12 to 15 pointers on the ends. If you get a five stone and end up wearing it all the time, you won't have actually accumulated more stones that are sitting around, only ones being worn. Perhaps you could sell or trade in your earrings to help fund your reset.

I have been toying with the idea of a 0.15c stone on each end. I spent a lot of today going thru the forums on graduated 5 stone rings. My husband is not convinced and he is of the opinion that it would scream, “LOOK AT ME!!!” but the wise man he is, he says it is up to me do what makes me happy. Gonna head to a jeweller next week to get my tennis bracelet fixed and at the same time check out what stones he have to offer.

thanks for the push to explore this option

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been toying with the idea of a 0.15c stone on each end. I spent a lot of today going thru the forums on graduated 5 stone rings. My husband is not convinced and he is of the opinion that it would scream, “LOOK AT ME!!!” but the wise man he is, he says it is up to me do what makes me happy. Gonna head to a jeweller next week to get my tennis bracelet fixed and at the same time check out what stones he have to offer.

thanks for the push to explore this option

Haha, I DO think a 5-stone might scream "look at me" but I LOVE rings that scream that, so LOL

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
Haha, I DO think a 5-stone might scream "look at me" but I LOVE rings that scream that, so LOL

i told my husband if it doesnt scream LOOK AT ME then something is wrong :lol-2::lol-2: hence - do what makes me happy :D

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
My DH calls my 5 stone ring the “look at me” ring. Lol.

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
My DH calls my 5 stone ring the “look at me” ring. Lol.

would you be so kind to share your "Look at me!!" stunner? i would greatly appreciate it! =)2=)2

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree something along the lines of 12 pointers would give that graduated look. I had a 5 stone (no longer have, but loved the proportions) was along the .5 center, .25 sides, .12 pointers on ends. I've also seen 5 stone rings where all the stones are the same sizes and I find those pretty as well

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
Happy New Year everyone!

So my girls and I survived our almost 17hrs journey back to the sunny side of the world today. Hello jetlag and hello ear studs!

I tried to put my studs (looks to be more 0.2ct each) at each end of my 3stone ring and it didnt scream Look at me!!!! in a good way. it just screamed "OVERKILL!!!!!!"

My fingers are just too small to accomodate a graduated 5 stone and if i push it, i may regret it. Husband told me to wait for our next big anniversary (10yrs in 2023) to consider a 5 stone or eternity to my liking.

Looks like i'll just redesign my earstuds to something more fancy and get my tennis bracelet fixed for now.

Thank you all for sharing your ring pics, your valuable inputs on size etc. It has been very valuable

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results