shape
carat
color
clarity

Tire-kicker question: are my side stones too small?

Side stones?

• Too small; put them back in the ground and hope they grow.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Big enough; go ahead and use them.

Votes: 52 66.7%
  • No more Bling-Somnia! Go back to sleep.

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I came on this thread to say no, but in this specific case I think the answer is yes. If they were a different shape/cut, then the answer would be no. But as an echo of the center-stone shape, I think they are too small.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Completely just personal preference. I tend to like bigger side stones, usually less than half the center stone. Plenty of people prefer something smaller.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like your stones & the proportions. You've already purchased these stones meaning, that there was something about them that you liked enough to buy them. Something about them that made you smile. If you put these 3 stones that make you smile into a ring, you are going to be grinning from ear to ear. That's what will happen when you repurpose the stones you already own & take them to their next journey. =)2

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually think the ratio that your stones will make is pretty much perfect….

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this. I would space them such that it shows the roundness of each stone (very similar to this mockup), being careful not to shove them too close together or create too much of of angle. 26502171-1057-4B04-98A2-DD4304C0C0C0.jpeg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Thanks!
Now on to choosing the setting. Looking at styles now - I think of these stones as Victorian not Edwardian, so probably going with prongs not bezels. I’m scrolling through sites looking for estate settings.

There are so many beautiful three-stones on PS!

itskcc

Rough_Rock
LOVE a pretty 3-stone. I recently converted and there is no looking back for me. Just love them! I had a hard time too trying to figure out the size of the side stones. I bought an inexpensive set of cz stud earrings in all different sizes from Amazon so that I could play around with the proportions on my hand. I found that the specifics of the setting contribute to the overall look and feel especially the size and proportions of the prongs which can change how the shape looks, etc. Your stones are beautiful. Have some fun with this!

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
I'm all over the place with my personal preference for side stones. I like both of your inspo photos, but I prefer the smaller side stones between those two examples.

I have a 3 stone ring with similar proportions to your three stones and I love it.

I found this graphic earlier when I was looking at pictures:

3 stone ring side stone size.JPG

What a great graphic

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too believe the side stones in the inspiration pic are too small for the centre stone, and the 3 stones of your own would make a better combination.

Personal preference and all that.

DK :))

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
I just had a ring made with DK in very similar sizes - they're cushions, not round, but my center stone is 6x6.5 and the sidestones are 4x4.5. It's on his IG if you want to have a look.

It's a beautiful ring. It's the physical position of the side stones that add to a balanced symmetry. I vote larger and a similar spacing as this ring.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW I think the side stones allow the centre stone to shine without overpowering them.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@PreRaphaelite Just in case you missed it...scroll down to post #355 LINK

It's at the opposite end of the beautiful proportion scale, but it does look pretty darned good. =)2

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
@PreRaphaelite Just in case you missed it...scroll down to post #355 LINK

It's at the opposite end of the beautiful proportion scale, but it does look pretty darned good. =)2

Wow that ring is amazing! And a beautiful setting!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Reviving this thread to add this photo:
il_1140xN.4584076222_d9tj.jpg
Source: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1393981116/art-nouveau-diamond-trilogy-crossover?ref=cart

I think this might be it!

It would be super-wearable. Smooth, ergonomically low-set, with micro-bezels in 18k unplated white gold, on an 18k rose gold shank. All satin-finish. Tiny milgrain just barely visible.

The previous options were a gypsy (inspired by @Mreader's gorgeous antique ring) or a classic three-stone with delicate prongs (inspired by @ItsMainelyYou's JuliaB masterpiece). Both incredible and luscious but then I stumbled across this and BAM all became clear.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful take on a three stone ring. If it makes your heart happy then it’s the one!!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It is a beautiful take on a three stone ring. If it makes your heart happy then it’s the one!!

Agree with @MissGotRocks - it is what makes your heart sing :) I like this ring a lot, though I admittedly prefer the classic three stone look for the other pics earlier in the thread. But it has to be what will make you happiest.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
The attention to detail shown in the prongs and overall balance of @ItsMainelyYou 's JuliaB three-stone ring makes me believe she can provide the precise quality I'm looking for, so I emailed her. Fingers crossed.

She can, she can! I'm so excited!
I was surprised and delighted with just how lovely the work on my ring came out. Can't say enough about it.
I love this(our) ratio proportion the very best. It's perfect as framing.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
She can, she can! I'm so excited!
I was surprised and delighted with just how lovely the work on my ring came out. Can't say enough about it.
I love this(our) ratio proportion the very best. It's perfect as framing.

I cannot give you a total for the amount of time I've passed staring at your ring(s) but it is in the ballpark of literal HOURS and time well spent.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I cannot give you a total for the amount of time I've passed staring at your ring(s) but it is in the ballpark of literal HOURS and time well spent.

And that is the highest complement that can be given, even more than my threats of thievery.
I am well and truly honored, my friend. Thank you.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, yes this is a great design, very wearable and gives you a little added finger coverage.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
My old 3 stone had almost those exact proportions.

6.7mm, 3.8-4mm sides, and I wear a ring size 8

I’ve since sold all 3 stones lol but hopefully the size comparison helps!

548CC587-36FD-4FD6-B034-BD5952DF5B96.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results