shape
carat
color
clarity

Tips for selecting a Radiant Cut diamond

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I have found P.S. to be the very resourceful for all things diamonds (and gemstones and jewels) and I spend a lot of time gg thru the various forums for inspiration.

I am seeking expert advice on what I should look out for in choosing a Radiant Cut diamond. I feel lost once it is not a round diamond (which I took a lot of time learning to choose the best) and radiant looks more appealing to me all of a sudden.

I am looking at a 0.9-1ct, open to E-H colour range. Any do's and don't's to note when selecting a radiant stone?

Also, would appreciate handshots of radiants between 0.9-1ct on a US 5(ish) sobering finger.

Thanks so very much! =)2

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, you gotta decide on the shape. Do want a squarish radiant or elongated rectangular radiant?
Second, you gotta decide on the style. Here are some examples.

Go look at different stones at Bluenile and James Allen and come back with a list of stones and links that interest you. We will go from there.

Here are different styles of radiant cut diamonds.

4 main (similar to modern cushion)

8 main (similar to brilliant cut)

Chevron facets (similar to princess cut)

Crushed Ice

Other interesting styles

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
First, you gotta decide on the shape. Do want a squarish radiant or elongated rectangular radiant?
Second, you gotta decide on the style. Here are some examples.

Go look at different stones at Bluenile and James Allen and come back with a list of stones and links that interest you. We will go from there.

Here are different styles of radiant cut diamonds.

4 main (similar to modern cushion)

8 main (similar to brilliant cut)

Chevron facets (similar to princess cut)

Crushed Ice

Other interesting styles

Thank you v much for replying. I only thought of squarish or elongated, did not think of the various cuts.

I came across two on James Allen which my heart beats for, however one is a Lab diamond, I am on the fence with that (different rabbit hole to explore).

Let me look at these pieces and share the ones I am in love with.

Thank you!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post pics (or reserve and post links) for the two diamonds that you like the faceting patterns?

Maybe we can find an Earth-minded diamond with the same look. Or by looking at the stones that @flyingpig
posted can you tell which faceting pattern they have?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The kind, knowledgeable folks here will help!
I can say, from a different perspective, that in my opinion, the Radiant cut is the poster boy of diamonds that defy the type of analysis that work quite well for round brilliant diamonds.
The manner in which well cut radiant diamonds -the ones cut like the (now extinct) Original Radiant Cut use the light is diametrically different than the way an RBC works.
This also affects the rotating videos. Again- the folks here are as good as anyone I’ve seen at assisting. But ultimately, in my experience, the nicest cut radiant diamonds can only be truly appreciated in person.
Maybe that’s why they didn’t survive the internet.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
The kind, knowledgeable folks here will help!
I can say, from a different perspective, that in my opinion, the Radiant cut is the poster boy of diamonds that defy the type of analysis that work quite well for round brilliant diamonds.
The manner in which well cut radiant diamonds -the ones cut like the (now extinct) Original Radiant Cut use the light is diametrically different than the way an RBC works.
This also affects the rotating videos. Again- the folks here are as good as anyone I’ve seen at assisting. But ultimately, in my experience, the nicest cut radiant diamonds can only be truly appreciated in person.
Maybe that’s why they didn’t survive the internet.

It's funny you say that because it seems the radiant is experiencing something of a resurgence right now.

Feels like I've seen more questions about radiants than ever in the past few months, and I myself just yesterday bought a really amazing square radiant.

I love a good radiant and I'd love to see them get popular. That deep 3d sparkling pool effect - love it.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats @kb1gra !!
Did you purchase online or at a store?

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats @kb1gra !!
Did you purchase online or at a store?

Online. I've found most of the radiants in store to be icky. Not yours of course! But in general it seems to be a cut that stores use to bury included stones or stones with really poor spread, and that's unfortunate for the style as they can be really exceptional when done well.

I expect with the new Tiffany True making inroads that there will start to be more demand for "lookalikes".

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's funny you say that because it seems the radiant is experiencing something of a resurgence right now.

Feels like I've seen more questions about radiants than ever in the past few months, and I myself just yesterday bought a really amazing square radiant.

I love a good radiant and I'd love to see them get popular. That deep 3d sparkling pool effect - love it.

Any pics? I'd love to see!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not great, since it's off getting put into a ring, but here's the official image of the stone.

1596473114790.png

ooooh that's gorgeous! It's like a radiant/asscher hybrid!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Her
ooooh that's gorgeous! It's like a radiant/asscher hybrid!

Here's hoping. I tried the True and loved it, but you know me, I can't settle for more $ and had to pore over 50000 images until I found one comparable and snapped it up. Those suckers are HARD to find!

Of those currently on the market in the elongated style and meeting the OP's specs, I like this one:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not great, since it's off getting put into a ring, but here's the official image of the stone.

1596473114790.png

Awesome looking diamond!
I would not call it a “Radiant cut” - again- that’s not anything negative at all- I love octagonal diamonds.
But it does point out a difficulty in terms. Since GIA does not use the word “Radiant” to describe a diamond ( ORC’s were classified as Rectangular (or Square) Modified Brilliant. So there’s a lot left to interpretation.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome looking diamond!
I would not call it a “Radiant cut” - again- that’s not anything negative at all- I love octagonal diamonds.
But it does point out a difficulty in terms. Since GIA does not use the word “Radiant” to describe a diamond ( ORC’s were classified as Rectangular (or Square) Modified Brilliant. So there’s a lot left to interpretation.

GIA has it as a "Cut Cornered Square Mixed Cut" which I think is the same assignation they gave the Lucida. I believe that it's not eligible for modified brilliant due to the step crown, but I wouldn't know for sure as I'm not an expert. Sort of the begs the question as to what it IS - it's not a cushion, not a princess, definitely not a step cut - ah, diamonds.

I am not sure how it would look in an elongated fashion - I generally do not like the appearance of elongated Lucidas - these certainly look very unique in person. I'll have to get a video of it when it arrives.

I still like a good elongated radiant like the one I posted. They're just getting supremely hard to find in a sea of bad mush.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting discussion.
Begs the question- must we understand a classification to appreciate the beauty in something?
Say you heard a piece of music you loved, but didn’t know the genre. If you found out it was salsa- which you traditionally did not like, would it dull your appreciation?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They're just getting supremely hard to find in a sea of bad mush.
Nothing new at all in this regard. The inherent nature of the cut allows a lot of tomfoolery by cutters to save weight on finished stones.
Super well cut Radiant cuts - especially rectangular ones- were always rare

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
Can you post pics (or reserve and post links) for the two diamonds that you like the faceting patterns?

Maybe we can find an Earth-minded diamond with the same look. Or by looking at the stones that @flyingpig
posted can you tell which faceting pattern they have?

Thank you all, here is a link to both:

Earth

*I seem to see a tinge of yellow, but it might just be me being sensitive to it.

Lab

I did not reserve either but I am using this as a benchmark for my jeweller to source for me. Does it seem ok?

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all, here is a link to both:

Earth

*I seem to see a tinge of yellow, but it might just be me being sensitive to it.

Lab

I did not reserve either but I am using this as a benchmark for my jeweller to source for me. Does it seem ok?

How much do you trust this jeweler?

Radiants are hard to pick. If he's just going to call in based on certs looking for a particular color/clarity you're unlikely to get what you want.

I wouldn't show that lab one as an example of one I would want, personally.

Another earth that I like: https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/radiant-diamond-1.0-carat-h-vvs2-yd9595621

Radiants are going to concentrate color, so they will show more color than an equivalently graded round brilliant, just as an FYI.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
K. I think I kinda know you are looking for. I will see if I can find good ones. Btw, the 1.0 H VVS @kb1gra posted has potential

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone @kb1gra ... I love the crown and it looks like it will be very bright.

Sorry for threadjack @jchristiansen ...carry on!

I think that one that @k1bgra posted also looks nice. I'll take a look around when I get a chance.

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
I have fallen off the face of the earth and be shouty mom today o_O

@kb1gra thank you for the link! That is absolute shiny goodness! :kiss2: I have 2 trusted jewellers I go to locally back in Singapore. At the moment, I have sent word out I am on the market for a stone. They are in the midst of sourcing and once we return, I will be meeting with them to see what they have. I actually won't show them what is on P.S. cos sometimes they can be biased. Noted on the colour, I currently have an RB, E, VVS1. I have no experience with stones between G-I range.

@flyingpig yeah basically I am looking for something rectangular. I have a specific carat weight in mind but...... The stone is like the perfect man, hard to find :lol-2:

@tyty333 no worries, sometimes when someone else chimes in, you could ask something I may not have thought of =)2

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
I have found these two radiant which have tugged at my heart and is kind to my budget. Which of these two is at least ideal for a radiant stone? Appreciate yr advice. Thank you!

IMG_20200807_190753.png

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Can't tell you anything without at the least pictures and preferably videos.

jazzychr

Rough_Rock
@kb1gra got it, will attach the videos once I figure out. Thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results