shape
carat
color
clarity

Tips for Purchasing an Ultrasonic Cleaner?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
So I've got a fabulous new diamond ring. I want to keep it super clean. I've been using the Lavish foam and it works really well (love the stuff!) However, I'd like to purchase an ultrasonic machine. What should I look for in one? Does a steam setting really make a difference? Anyone have a model or a brand they like? Anything I should avoid?

PS: Sorry for my delay in posting pics of my new sparkly, I'm recovering from oral surgery and I'm very fuzzy headed and quite ill from all the meds :(

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got the same Magnasonic as wewechew and johnbt. I use distilled water and Dawn FOAMING. It's the best clean I have achieved, and I started out with a commercial grade GemOro and also had a Jewel Jet. I have tried Mr. Clean, Windex, and original Dawn, etc.

I use this Magnasonic daily because it's just so darn easy. Pick the time you want it to run and off it goes. The GemOro didn't have a timer, which made it more of a pain to use. Took up more space and heavy to change out the solution. Having something that's easy to use means I actually use it - a bunch - which means cleaner, sparklier diamonds! :D

Dawn Foaming was the key. I was always fastidious with cleaning my diamond rings, and yet the difference is noticeable.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I've got a fabulous new diamond ring. I want to keep it super clean. I've been using the Lavish foam and it works really well (love the stuff!) However, I'd like to purchase an ultrasonic machine. What should I look for in one? Does a steam setting really make a difference? Anyone have a model or a brand they like? Anything I should avoid?
Buy an American or a European made US. They aren't that expensive. These will last you a lifetime unlike the Chinese made ones which will only last about 2 yrs. PSers spent thousands of :$$): on diamonds and yet most will cheap out on an US. :confused:

I bought an American made heated GemOro about 13 yrs ago and it still working like new. You don't need a heated model just buy the smallest one.

US.JPG

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dawn Foaming was the key. I was always fastidious with cleaning my diamond rings, and yet the difference is noticeable.
What is Dawn Foaming? pic?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@RunningwithScissors I cannot wait to see your amazing new ring! And I hope you feel better soon! I do feel that having a jewelry steamer makes a difference. I used to have a professional one and got rid of it when my husband and I downsized to our "empty-nester" lifestyle. I definitely missed it and purchased an all-in-one unit for consumer use by GemOro. It isn't the best but it is better than nothing. If you have the space for the professional units that are of the smaller proportions I would definitely recommend that!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! Very helpful.

@headlight What does the steam do for the jewelry? A higher level of clean? Or does it make it more shiny?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! Very helpful.

@headlight What does the steam do for the jewelry? A higher level of clean? Or does it make it more shiny?
I guess you could say both! The hot and "forceful" (don't want that to sound bad) steam really gets any remaining "gunk" out from anywhere it could be hiding. Honestly, I feel that sometimes even the "grease-cutting" cleaning products sometimes create their own build-up. The steam breaks them down. The jewelers always steam diamond rings. Think of it as being able to blast all angles of your mounting with the hottest water you could possibly get out of your sink at the highest water flow but without having to actually hold the ring and burn your fingers in the process lol (although given I'm a PSer and obsessed it's not outside the realm that I haven't done this in the past for the sake of a sparkling clean diamond!!!!!!!!). Often, it actually doesn't even need to be dried off after steaming because the steam sort of dries it, as well.

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
"These will last you a lifetime unlike the Chinese made ones which will only last about 2 yrs."

I turned 69 yesterday. Don't know if I really need to invest in anything that will last 30 or 40 years. :))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"These will last you a lifetime unlike the Chinese made ones which will only last about 2 yrs."

I turned 69 yesterday. Don't know if I really need to invest in anything that will last 30 or 40 years. :))
But what if you live to 99?? . That means you'll need to buy 15 more of these cheap Chinese made US! :o

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I'm si glad you asked this runningwithscissors! I've had my ring since March and I really want a deeper clean. I hope you feel better soon and we can't wait to see pics!:appl:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Buy an American or a European made US. They aren't that expensive. These will last you a lifetime unlike the Chinese made ones which will only last about 2 yrs. PSers spent thousands of :$$): on diamonds and yet most will cheap out on an US. :confused:

I bought an American made heated GemOro about 13 yrs ago and it still working like new. You don't need a heated model just buy the smallest one.

US.JPG
I don't think they are made in the U.S. anymore.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
This is the one I purchased when DH & I downsized and I needed something space-saving: https://www.sykessler.com/product/jewelry-sauna/
It says that you have to keep the shield over the steam feature but it isn't true. I spoke with their rep. I think they just say that for safety/legal. If anyone gets this and needs further clarification, start a thread and I will spell it out.
The only thing is that it is a pain to change the solution but all of them are, IMO. Once you get the hang of it (it's really all in the wrist lol!), you're fine.
I am not thrilled with their cleaning solution, however. I am going to start to use the Mr. Clean citrus everyone here keeps raving about... or even Dawn. Also, if you choose to use their cleaning packets, because the tank is so small, you only need 1/3-1/2 packet which creates a mess. I would suggest you fill water less than the fill line and add some of the Dawn or Mr. Clean.
In the meantime @RunningwithScissors the suspense is and has been killing me! I cannot wait to see your diamond... the natives here are getting restless and WE WANT TO SEE PICTURES ASAP!!!

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
I just ordered a TrioShine which has US and steam in same machine. I get it Friday and will update with my thoughts when I’ve tried it out

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I guess you could say both! The hot and "forceful" (don't want that to sound bad) steam really gets any remaining "gunk" out from anywhere it could be hiding. Honestly, I feel that sometimes even the "grease-cutting" cleaning products sometimes create their own build-up. The steam breaks them down. The jewelers always steam diamond rings. Think of it as being able to blast all angles of your mounting with the hottest water you could possibly get out of your sink at the highest water flow but without having to actually hold the ring and burn your fingers in the process lol (although given I'm a PSer and obsessed it's not outside the realm that I haven't done this in the past for the sake of a sparkling clean diamond!!!!!!!!). Often, it actually doesn't even need to be dried off after steaming because the steam sort of dries it, as well.

This is very helpful, thank you!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Screenshot_20190903-152739_Chrome.jpg

This is the one that I have been using since 2005. Made in USA, 10 yr warranty on the tank, stainless steel. I think it was about $265 back then.
I use a US solution concentrate that I bought from Otto Frei and have been using that same bottle since 2005 (concentrate so you use very little then dilute).

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
@cflutist hands are tiny... so that's a nice and compact machine! Lol

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is Dawn Foaming? pic?

I ordered it from Amazon:

81G0hGA4iLL._SX425_.jpg

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rainydaze I'm going to have to pick up the Dawn Foaming!

@Wewechew I hope you like it if you do! I learned about it from someone else here on PS. I wish I remember who it was that posted about it so I could credit them.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results