shape
carat
color
clarity

tiny diamonds on not tiny fingers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cherry_vanilla

Rough_Rock
Alright, so in our first (and so far only) internet ring search, my boyfriend was gravitating towards diamonds in the .2xx range. Now I know everything is pretty skewed on this site with most of the new engagements seeming to be rocking it out above 1ct, but I''m wondering what a center stone of that size would look like - I want a round solitaire, maybe with colored accents, so nothing terribly complex.

I went through the "small" diamond thread, but that definition of small was under 1ct, with most of them still above a half carat - definitely not small to me! Also, I wear a size 6 which is what I thought was pretty average but is apparently man-sausage fingers, the only under .5ct rings I saw in that thread were from ladies who were smaller than a size 5 so I doubt it''d be a very accurate approximation for me.

I also must admit that my boyfriend may just have a really crazy idea of what carat sizes are, I admit I have a hard time picturing them myself, so he may have no idea of relative sizes. However, I also don''t want to be the girl demanding a larger stone than he''s comfortable with... yeah I''m not too sure where I''m going with this. There''s no rush in pictures, engagement isn''t happening for another 8-16 months, but the final ring discussions may be sooner than that so I''m just curious.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Someone on here has an adorable .2ish tiffany solitaire...but I don''t know where. Might have been in the under 1c. ring page.

My BF had no idea of what size a carat was, so yours might feel differently once he looks at some in person. Mine was thinking that a carat was HUGE until he saw it in person, then he was like "Oh, that''s much smaller than I was imagining". So there is hope for you yet if you have your heart set on something a bit bigger.

And a 6 is NO WAY man fingers! It is the average, but for some reason on PS things are certainly skewed smaller. I don''t mean to stereotype, but there seem to be many Asian women here on PS, with appropriately sized teensy fingers. I''m a 5.5-5.75, so I am right there with you. And the size of a normal, starter ering is also greatly, greatly exaggerated on here. It''s to be expected when you get a bunch of women together who love diamonds! But I am getting a .81 and it is the largest of anyone I know personally except for women who are older and have upgraded along the way. Also remember that many women on here who have huge gorgeous stones have upgraded to them and started out with much smaller stones.

I tried on some small rings and they''re cute. They won''t cut it if you''re a size girl...but I don''t think they looked bad on my finger at all, just a different look.

Hope that helps.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2007 1:53:55 PM
Author:cherry_vanilla
Also, I wear a size 6 which is what I thought was pretty average but is apparently man-sausage fingers,
Um, no it''s not.
20.gif
Perhaps you could try on some rings with different size stones to get an idea of how they would look on your hand.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Size 6 is man sausage fingers????
29.gif
29.gif
14.gif
14.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
2.gif
Get real honey!

cherry_vanilla

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't call myself a size girl, again I speak with just guessing off pictures from the internet (and from this site that of course means trying to estimate based on larger rocks on smaller fingers
14.gif
) but I was thinking maybe more along the lines of .3-.4xx which is by no means wearing a gumball, but that's like double what he was searching for so I feel horrible about thinking I might want twice as large a diamond, you know?

Perhaps later on the in year we ought to go through some of those tutorials here and on other sites on all the diamond attributes since I'm fairly clueless myself (except that knowing when they advertise 1 CARAT SOLITAIRE FOR $599 on TV is going to be not a smart move quality wise!) or *gasp* just bite the bullet and look at rings in person at a local shop - he wants to get a conflict free diamond so we'd probably have to order online anyway.

But if anyone does have pictures, I'd still love to see them
5.gif

EDIT - ok, so it turns out PS is skewed not only in average diamond size but average ring size (I thought maybe size 6-7 being average meant they took into account guy rings as well, so it'd make sense for the "average girl" to be much less and "average guy" much greater, clearly I am really out of the jewelry loop!) but I can't edit my first post to change that?

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Do you have any idea what his budget is? He might be able to get a larger diamond that he thinks. I have a friend at school who has about .25 carat ring that is beautiful! It sparkles so much!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
cherryvanilla, i really do think you need to take him ring shopping so he can get an idea of what diamond sizes really are. Most men have no clue and are surprised to she what their budgets will allow. Cut it the most inportant thing regardless of size so even if you get a .2 ring, get an ideal cut one.

signedpieces has this beautiful .20 solitaire from Tiffany''s for $760.00 that just happens to be a size 6
1.gif

http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=4389

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I have a ring that I was thinking about selling

not sure if I''m allowed to do this, delete this if I''m wrong and I apologise

.37 rb vs2 H color in a platinum setting w/ channel set diamonds, if you are interested maybe we can work something out
It''s a size 5.75

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1564

Here is a pic of a .27 carat ring for reference

cherry_vanilla

Rough_Rock
InlovewithJHK - When we discussed it he was thinking $500-$1500, just for the diamond not the setting (I have no idea what budget he has for that) Again, the kicker is he''s really adamant about getting conflict free (which I can''t fault him for) so having to import that might skyrocket the price so ~.2 is all he could afford? This is all fairly new, we only began looking this week for getting engaged at the end of the year/beginning of next and I haven''t gotten a chance to really research diamond stuff or settings (can you tell I''m one of those girls that never even thought about engagement or marriage ever when growing up?)

MustangFan - thanks for the offer, but we are a looooooong time away from the actual engagement (I predict I''ll be at the top of the LIW list by the time it comes!) we still have to get through pre-pre-marital counseling before really thinking about rings I think (but, I admit it''s kinda fun for me to search anyway even if I''m putting the cart way before the horse a bit!)

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
well here is an example of a conflict free diamond from a conflict free diamond website...

It is pushing your budget but I know you said you aren''t getting engaged soon and it is fun to look!
3.gif

http://www.brilliantearth.com/LooseDiamondDetailnew.aspx?id=1205232&typedid=0

I don''t think it is actually much more than you would pay elsewhere IF the diamond is nice from the GIA report
compare to:
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-114356.htm

I don''t know much about conflict free diamonds but you should check out some websites to find ones that are reputable

whenharrymetsally

Shiny_Rock
Hi Cherry Vanilla,

I''m not sure where you are located, but I know you can get 100% certified Canadian diamonds (in all sizes) that are conflict free. They come with full certificates and laser engraving on the diamond with an ID number. This was a concern of mine when we chose my stone and I went with a Snow Owl canadian diamond. It as a little owl engraved on it with the diamond ID# and a little maple leaf.
1.gif

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
I can understand what you are saying about finger size. I''m a 3.5, and I thought nobody would be as small as me, but there are 2.5''s here! I didn''t know that size existed! Ive always thought 6 to be an average finger size

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
same i always that 6 was the average size..isnt that the siz emost designers send jewelers as desplay peices??...i recently had my finger get a bit smaller by 1/2 a size som im now a size 8.5....hopefully itll get smaller and smaller at least to a 6...do you think the smaller the finger the bigger the stone looks??
34.gif
33.gif
34.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My original e-ring was a 0.21 ct solitaire we purchased back in 1975. It was dinky even then. My fingers used to be 6.5, but now they are around 7.5 so I don''t wear that set anymore. One consolation of having such a small diamond is I didn''t cry when I couldn''t wear my wedding set anymore. It was many years later, but I finally got a 1.5 ct diamond ring. Now, that is a very nice, but still very wearable, size.

I''d recommend at least 0.50 ct, which he should be able to swing with his budget. That will still be a very modest ring. And, I agree, you two need to visit a few jewelry stores and actually try some rings on. I think you will find that the diamonds are pretty small compared to the video monitor!

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely try on various sizes! I'm sure others will chime in, but I'm also pretty sure that if someone is charging 500+ for a .2x ct stone, you are paying too much, esp. online! If you haven't already, try doing a broad search using the search tool and you'll be amazed at what you can find. You can look at places that sell conflict-free diamonds specifically, or you could try asking a jeweler (online or otherwise) to call in Canadian stones. I actually stumbled across one by accident -- the only tipoff was the girdle inscription which was noted on the GIA certificate. You could try finding them that way and that might help you get a better deal than going through someone that spends money advertising that their diamonds are conflict-free. Personally, I don't understand why people worry about diamonds being the result of war given the amount of killing that goes on every day over the substances we use to run our cars, lamps, computers...but if it is important to someone, there are certainly ways to seek out what you want.

ETA: If you are just starting to look, before trying to figure out what size, I would also think about which of the other Cs you can compromise on. Your BF might have been looking for the most "perfect" D/IF stone he could find, which would clearly mean smaller size for the money. Have a reputable jeweler show you some AGS or GIA certified diamonds in different colors and clarities. Take a look with a loupe and without and compare colors to see what you are comfortable with -- some people have better close-up vision or are more color-sensitive. The color and clarity you choose will have a huge impact on the size you can afford. If you are here, you will learn lots about cut, but that actually doesn't affect the price per carat nearly as much as the other items. Check out the Tutorial -- it takes some time to go through it and understand it, but it is very worthwhile and will help you figure out how to get the most bling for your buck. Good luck!

one_cactus

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have, by PS standards, what is considered small e-ring (0.32 carat). Ring size 5.25, smaller hands but with chubby fingers!

I actually thought I'd prefer at least a 0.5 carat or bigger diamond. My FI told me when he was doing his diamond research, he was aiming for the quality first (he had on his mind the range of specs he'd go for, and with that, determine the carat size and see what he could afford). He wanted something extremely sparkly - he'd want at least a good/excellent cut, colorless and VVS-VS clarity, round cut. He was actually comparing my diamond with diamonds as big as 0.51 carats. He was also trying to compare my 0.32 versus diamonds in the mid- 0.40s range, but he could barely see a difference and he couldn't justify paying for a huge markup in price difference for something that's barely noticeable. He ended up getting me what I have now, which I absolutely love. The amount of sparkles it gives out, you'd never think it's a tiny diamond. It gives out tremendous sparkles! What I end up with: 0.32 carat, ideal cut, F/VS1. My setting is abit high as well, so it seems like it sticks out more.

I'd suggest you visit the jewellery stores and try on the different diamonds. Size should not be the only factor. Determine the specs you'd want and go from there. I know I was definitely surprised at how "big" the 0.32 carat looks on my hand. I'd never thought I can wear anything under 0.5c!

Good luck on your search :)

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll probably still have the ring by the time you are ready.

That''s even if you would consider an estate ring.

looking to get around $1200 for the ring

I know you mentioned you live in NJ, so getting it a jeweler to appraise it wouldn''t be a problem.

Hammurabi

Rough_Rock
Hi cherry vanilla,

I have a 0.312 ct ering, love it to death, i am quite rough on stuff so while the size is tiny on my fingers i think its not big enough to make me worry about it all the time.

took some pictures, but my camera is a bit dodgy at the moment, size 7.5 fingers (now thats what you called man sausage)

its RB H&A

hamring.jpg

Hammurabi

Rough_Rock
Another pic

hamring2.jpg

KindredSpirit717

Rough_Rock
cherry vanilla,
well i''m a long time lurker, first time poster and i definitley have to second what the others say about sacraficing one or two of the c''s and trying on different sizes to see whats right for you!! you can also keep in mind that different shapes can come across looking larger than what their actually CW is. you can also try smaller side stones if you really want to make it pop, but can''t get a large center stone. i have a rather small center diamond compared to a lot of PSers, it''s not a great diamond either(hubby isn''t that knowledgable but so darn cute), but it''s so special to me! anywho, the center stone is .375ct stone, and i''m not sure about the others...but my ring finger can vary from a 4.5-5. sorry for the blurry pic, my hands shake very very easily...

crop 18.JPG

KindredSpirit717

Rough_Rock
here''s a side view of the ring, anywho goodluck with finding a ring, it''s great that your future fiance is including you in the process!!

new 025.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found a .5 carat I VS1 "Expert Selection" round diamond on Whiteflash.com for $1279. Plus I believe they offer a Pricescope/wire transfer discount which would bring the price down even more. I think you can definitely get at least a .5 ct diamond for your budget, maybe even bigger if you can hunt down a hard to find size diamond like .65. Plus you could probably beef up the look of your whole ring with small diamond side stones.

As far as the conflict-free thing goes, Whiteflash.com has a no conflict diamonds policy on their website. They cut their own rough for their "A Cut Above" and "Expert Selection" diamonds so they''re definitely more involved than some other vendors (like Bluenile) in the entire process.

And the good thing about Whiteflash (and some other Pricescope vendors as well) is that they have a very good upgrade policy if you decide to go larger in the future.

cherry_vanilla

Rough_Rock
Thanks for posting action shots Hammurabi and KindredSpirit! It really helps to see the stone in comparision to the finger, so it looks like that with a nice cut it won't be terribly out of place to have something that's in the .2-.3 range! As I mentioned in the LIW board, I live in an area where people tend towards larger rocks (even among my friends in our age/education range, the "smallest" still was over 3/4 carat plus side diamonds) so while I don't have any sort of requirements, I also admit I don't want to recieve an engagement ring that looks closer to what girls here get as promise rings, you know? That sounds really horrible I know, but it's true
39.gif

I wish I had my folder of "ring ****" on this computer, but
I ran across these recently and I really like the swirly look with gemstones on the wedding band (I think? hard to tell when the set's together) Something along those lines, at least the swirlyness if it's just a solitaire, something just a hint unique but not too trendy I'd hate it in 10 years (I don't plan on upgrading)

To everyone saying my boyfriend probably just has no idea of the sizes, the more I think it the more it seems obvious. When we first brought up engagement casually last summer, he said he definitely wanted to get me a "great" ring as much for his social standing if not more! Then I also remembered it's very likely just about all he knows about ring sizes is by watching Bam's Unholy Union on MTV where the girl got a freaking Ring Pop of a 7+ carat ring!

On conflict free diamonds - I absolutely love the idea of an engraved owl WHMS! It's a bigger issue for my boyfriend than myself, he's much more of a political rights and issues kind of guy so it's non-negotionable. That and we are fans of owls and other silly animals
25.gif

Once things settle down a bit, I think I'll suggest we just go and check out some rings in person just to see what sizes everything is. I even tried printing out a chart of real life sizes and my printer autosized it so not even that worked, I do think I really have no options but suck it up and go into a store in person now.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first E-Ring was a 18pt round diamond, si2, H color, it sparkled like crazy, we were pretty much broke, but I loved that diamond, the hubby went for the sparkle factor vs size (this is way before PS, heck it was before the internet lol), I couse have upgraded since then, we will be married 23 years in May, but my hubby now wears that very sparkly pretty diamond in a earring, good luck with your search.
1.gif

KindredSpirit717

Rough_Rock
those rings you linked are very pretty cherry vanilla!! i''m quite partial to the ruby one since it''s my birthstone (hehe). as far as it going out of style, maybe you could get the swirls of gemstones as ring guards that wrap around the ring so you don''t have to completely commit to the design in case your taste changes later on(it also looks like that''s what it is). and I know what you mean about living in an area where young girls my age (early 20''s) are getting really large stones. I live by the city and on the train it''s not unusual to see 1ct+ honkers!! it''s easy to feel a little intimidated(sp?). but then you look at young girls in florida and the stones are much more like mine.

as far as the sizes go with your bf being not so knowledgable, maybe you should have him come on over to PC and do some research? then you KNOW you will end up with a GORGEOUS ring!!

oh and yay to cute little animals like owls, i thought that was really cute and unique when i read that post as well
37.gif

jennalyns

Shiny_Rock
hi! i think this site is definitely a bit skewed and that stone size varies greatly by where you live.
1.gif
also, you have to remember a lot of the women on here with huge rocks have been married for 10 or 20+ years, and these stones are their anniversary gifts! i have a size 6.5 finger, and i never thought that was large, still don't really even though many rings on here wouldn't fit my pinky! lol. i can go in any store and try on their rings and they fit, so am assuming 6-7 is average... my center stone is .55, and even after being on here for years i still think it is big! lol. my first ering was .33, which didn't look too small in my opinion, but i changed the stone because i had this mental "i want a half-carat" thing and it drove me a bit crazy.
19.gif
it really wasn't that big of a size difference, but it was just that mental thing. i agree with everyone else on here, definitely go try on rings at the mall just to see the sizes, and you'll find what looks perfect to you. in my "real" life most people have around .2-.5 stones, i know very few people with larger ones. oh and on the conflict free- whiteflash.com's diamond are all certified conflict free, and they definitely sparkle- mine outshines the stones in the local Tiffany.
36.gif
good luck!!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2007 7:21:33 PM
Author: MustangFan
I''ll probably still have the ring by the time you are ready.

That''s even if you would consider an estate ring.

looking to get around $1200 for the ring

I know you mentioned you live in NJ, so getting it a jeweler to appraise it wouldn''t be a problem.
There is a section about this in the forum policy:

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/faq.asp?mode=policy

If you need help about how to resell your jewelery you can read this:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/reselling-gems-jewelry-what-can-you-expect.17952/

1.gif

jenna_g

Rough_Rock
I think you might be surprised at the size you can purchase with your budget. I''m nowhere near the expert that some of the ladies on this board are --I''m more of a casual fan! ;-) -- but I think you should be able get a beautifully cut (and conflict free) stone bigger than .2xx and well within your budget if you do your research.

btw, one of my girlfriends wears a round tiffany-style solitaire that is around .30 and it is just gorgeous! In fact, her ring is the reason I started looking at rounds to begin with. (And that''s what I ended up wearing as an e ring!)

A stone doesn''t have to be big to have a big impact! It''s all about the sparkle factor and the setting in which it is displayed! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results