shape
carat
color
clarity

tiny diamonds on not tiny fingers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there, here is a scale that shows how big around different carat weights are. It''s pretty much drawn to scale. I have a diamond that is .23 carats and it''s the same size as that .25 carat pictures.

Linky

*M*

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I suggest also going for a halo setting to make the diamond appear larger if that is a concern to you. A halo is an inexpensive way to make a stone look much bigger!
1.gif

cherry_vanilla

Rough_Rock
I haven''t gotten a chance to check out all the pics (I''m at work which have the most horribly slow and outdated computers, you''d think an engineering school wouldn''t have a computer lab that hasn''t been updated since 1996
14.gif
) but I did get to read everything you all posted.

I''ve never been a fan of the halo look so that''s not really an option, however I did find out that my mom has a 1/3ct stone and to me it definitely doesn''t look tiny or mistakenable for a high school promise ring (then again she might have smaller hands than me since she''s only 4''11" which I am most definitely NOT!) However, I''ll probably want a more higher-up/visable prong setting which would probably make a difference in looking, well, more like an engagement ring. So I ought to be ok.

Once I have printer access (again with the technologically impaired computer lab - no printer!) I''ll print out that chart of comparative sizes, this will probably help my boyfriend a lot.

Off topic but speaking of which, I mentioned in my LIW thread that all of this is pretty much on hold (though he spilled the beans because of it) due to him losing his job. Well (and this will completely give my identity away if he were to ever check out these forums
6.gif
) in the irony of ironies he just got a job yesterday doing IT for.... Tiffany & Co. Even with an employee discount he still probably could do much better for quality VS cost online, but I still think it''s kind of funny how it turned out (and how it seems to be everyone''s first thought - "Oh so it looks like cherry_vanilla will be getting lots of jewelry from here on out!")

Either way, now that he''s employed again we can get started on the pre-pre-marital counseling, and then once we get the therapist''s ok that we''re probably not going to divorce in 4 months if we get hitched (or whatever happens after you go through it successfully) I won''t feel like such a demanding girlfriend suggesting we check out rings in store.

Class n Sass

Shiny_Rock
I just got engaged about 2 months ago. I wear a size 5.5 and always dreamed of having at least a carat. However, that was really not possible for the man I fell in love with. He ended up buying me a 3 stone e-ring with a .86 RB center stone and micro pave set diamonds in the setting. I was worried about the ring looking too small on me. My mom still thinks its a bit too small but she also thinks it beautiful and gives me a lot of "bling." I''m actually comfortable with it because I know that he bought what he could afford. He is a medical student living off of loans. I know that several years down the line when he is able to he will definitely buy me that 1.5 or larger stone that I want. Since I have the side stones on my setting it adds to the ring so maybe you may want to consider that.

As I was looking on PS and seeing all the large stones on the tiny fingers I started thinking that was the norm but I know it is not. I have a 3 close co-workers who all got engaged within the past 2 years. They all have RBs larger than mine but they also have plain settings. That was not something that I wanted. I didn''t want something so plain. So I think you basically have to give a little.

KindredSpirit717

Rough_Rock
wow cerry vanilla, that''s a sign just screaming it''s time to start looking for rings!! and wow the perks of working for tiffany''s will be nice...lucky lucky you!!
31.gif

alyson423

Rough_Rock
Hi Cherry_Vanilla: I know I''m late but I just read your post for the 1st time and since you''re still batting around ideas,
1.gif
what about a completely different one-- using an eternity band as an engagement ring? It was an option we seriously considered. Paired with a w-band I don''t think there''s a nicer combination, and in your price range you can get well over a carat''s worth of diamond presence, depending on the metal in the setting and 4 C''s.

I know it''s hard to resist the pull of a traditional solitaire-based engagement ring-- heck, I didn''t-- but you can really get a classy, high-quality, beautiful eternity band in your price range. Just for ex.: there''s a sz 7, 18K WG Shared Prong, RB, 1.05ct. tw. G-H color VS clarity, band at SP for $1410:

http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=3995

Just a thought. Sometimes I think about the eternity band we could have gotten for the amount we spent on my more traditionally set e-ring, and it gets me daydreaming a little bit...
31.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2007 10:13:53 AM
Author: alyson423
Hi Cherry_Vanilla: I know I''m late but I just read your post for the 1st time and since you''re still batting around ideas,
1.gif
what about a completely different one-- using an eternity band as an engagement ring? It was an option we seriously considered. Paired with a w-band I don''t think there''s a nicer combination, and in your price range you can get well over a carat''s worth of diamond presence, depending on the metal in the setting and 4 C''s.

I know it''s hard to resist the pull of a traditional solitaire-based engagement ring-- heck, I didn''t-- but you can really get a classy, high-quality, beautiful eternity band in your price range. Just for ex.: there''s a sz 7, 18K WG Shared Prong, RB, 1.05ct. tw. G-H color VS clarity, band at SP for $1410:

http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=3995

Just a thought. Sometimes I think about the eternity band we could have gotten for the amount we spent on my more traditionally set e-ring, and it gets me daydreaming a little bit...
31.gif
ita! I''ve been wearing my wedding band and an anniversary band together for years and I didn''t even know it was cool to stack bands LOL I just liked the way it looked and I didn''t have an e-ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results