shape
carat
color
clarity

TINY blue FCD - yay or nay?

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
So I came across this Fancy Vivid Green-Blue diamond and was so drawn to its color (I fell for blues once again) and of course the vivid grade. Caveat is it's only 7 points and 2.43x2.12mm. It is priced at the top of my range at $9k. I looked at Leibish's pricing but did not find a good comparison.
Now this is my first time considering an fcd, anything to be aware of before pulling the trigger? Calling the fcd aficiandos here!
I think it would make a great dainty pinky ring but that's pure speculation. I imagine a bezel for something this small won't work but I'd get scared of losing it if it's in a claw setting. Any ring style/ setting ideas are appreciated!

1684466384378.jpg

1684466404863.jpg

Last edited:

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I asked for hand shots under different lights to get a sense of the color and size:
1684468691547.png
1684468704595.png
It's the size of a melee but the color and brilliance is speaking to my soul...

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Wow, look at that blue pop.

I don’t know enough to say whether $9k is appropriate for 0.07ct. The cheapest red diamond I saw on Leibish recently was $64k for 0.10 ct.

There are plenty of ways to set a tiny diamond. But one way could be a multi-stone band, with this little bright blue diamond as the center. The side stones could be colorless, or less expensive FCD. You could also make a pretty flower with this blue at the center and some very reasonably priced orange and yellow pears as surrounding petals. Lots of ideas.

IMG_0794.jpeg IMG_0785.jpeg IMG_0792.jpeg IMG_0657.jpg IMG_0656.jpg IMG_8560.jpeg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cloud_less sorry I'm late here, and long post warning. :eek-2:
If the color in your pic is accurate (and based on GIA's color grade and the pic's pure-white background, I suspect it is) the color is 10 out of 10. :clap:
Color-wise it's a very exceptional FCD.

Some FCD collectors go for tip top color, leaving size as a lower priority and the price of tip-top colors reflect this.
IIRC my 10-point red was $36K.
Clearly most people wouldn't pay 9K for 7 points, and that's perfectly fine.
The inevitable reference point of D-Z diamond prices are irrelevant here.

In rhetoric (debating) there is a fallacy worth mentioning here ...
Wikipedia snip ...
In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people")[1] is a fallacious argument which is based on claiming a truth or affirming something is good because the majority thinks so.[2]

People vary.
If only one person in a million holds a unique preference, their preference is as valid as the opposing opinion held by the other 999,999.
If you are that 1 in a million, and have the funds, buying it is entirely understandable - especially if you don't intend to set it as a setting will gobble up some of the precious surface area.

FWIW, here is one of my threads on my FCDs: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/
10 pages chock full of purdy macro-pics, one my my hobbies/obsessions.

I can't comment on the price of "yours".
FCDs, especially one like "yours", are so exceedingly rare that trying to look for comps is practically futile.
Plus, with FCDs tiny variations in color can dramatically affect the price, and photography is not a reliable way to judge color.
Then, the actual color appearance of many FCDs in the exact same GIA color grade can vary a great degree, which will be reflected in the price - again making price comparisons frustrating.

Good luck.

FWIW, I've never set one of my FCDs.
But if I did it would be a in tension setting, which gives you an uninterrupted view of what you paid so dearly for.
I prefer cobalt chrome since mine has stayed white after a dozen years of wear, while titanium darkens or tarnishes.
Personally I see no reason to pay for gold, platinum, or palladium. YMMV of course.
Cobalt chrome is a fraction of the price of a precious metal, and for me the gem itself is the star, not the thing that holds it.
Avoiding 'precious metals' leaves more money in the budget for the gem.

FWIW I have an FCD that is similar to "yours".
Notice that even thought GIA doesn't issue clarity grades on FCDs this small, Leibish's GIA Graduate Gemologist Shmulik Polnauer, a son of the owner, offers his opinion on clarity. I like this.

For "your" 7 point stone I'd want to see pics that are greatly enlarged and of very high resolution so I know I'm not buying 7 points of inclusions.
FWIW, over the years I've had around 25 transitions with https://www.leibish.com (including some refunds) and they have always been courteous and professional.

One reason I'm posting pics of my pear below is to point out the color is solid and evenly distributed throughout the material, even in the side view.
Many FCDs have color that looks even face up (due to clever cutting) but is very uneven and blotchy in a side view.
Also, many FCD with blotchy color distribution, face up or side view, get a Color Distribution grade of "even" from GIA - which I find very perplexing.
I prefer this even solid color even in side view:

a.png

800.png

m.png

Attachments

• z.png
    z.png
    640.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
@cloud_less sorry I'm late here, and long post warning. :eek-2:
If the color in your pic is accurate (and based on GIA's color grade and the pic's pure-white background, I suspect it is) the color is 10 out of 10. :clap:
Color-wise it's a very exceptional FCD.

Some FCD collectors go for tip top color, leaving size as a lower priority and the price of tip-top colors reflect this.
IIRC my 10-point red was $36K.
Clearly most people wouldn't pay 9K for 7 points, and that's perfectly fine.
The inevitable reference point of D-Z diamond prices are irrelevant here.

In rhetoric (debating) there is a fallacy worth mentioning here ...
Wikipedia snip ...
In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people")[1] is a fallacious argument which is based on claiming a truth or affirming something is good because the majority thinks so.[2]

People vary.
If only one person in a million holds a unique preference, their preference is as valid as the opposing opinion held by the other 999,999.
If you are that 1 in a million, and have the funds, buying it is entirely understandable - especially if you don't intend to set it as a setting will gobble up some of the precious surface area.

FWIW, here is one of my threads on my FCDs: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/
10 pages chock full of purdy macro-pics, one my my hobbies/obsessions.

I can't comment on the price of "yours".
FCDs, especially one like "yours", are so exceedingly rare that trying to look for comps is practically futile.
Plus, with FCDs tiny variations in color can dramatically affect the price, and photography is not a reliable way to judge color.
Then, the actual color appearance of many FCDs in the exact same GIA color grade can vary a great degree, which will be reflected in the price - again making price comparisons frustrating.

Good luck.

FWIW, I've never set one of my FCDs.
But if I did it would be a in tension setting, which gives you an uninterrupted view of what you paid so dearly for.
I prefer cobalt chrome since mine has stayed white after a dozen years of wear, while titanium darkens or tarnishes.
Personally I see no reason to pay for gold, platinum, or palladium. YMMV of course.
Cobalt chrome is a fraction of the price of a precious metal, and for me the gem itself is the star, not the thing that holds it.
Avoiding 'precious metals' leaves more money in the budget for the gem.

FWIW I have an FCD that is similar to "yours".
Notice that even thought GIA doesn't issue clarity grades on FCDs this small, Leibish's GIA Graduate Gemologist Shmulik Polnauer, a son of the owner, offers his opinion on clarity. I like this.

For "your" 7 point stone I'd want to see pics that are greatly enlarged and of very high resolution so I know I'm not buying 7 points of inclusions.
FWIW, over the years I've had around 25 transitions with https://www.leibish.com (including some refunds) and they have always been courteous and professional.

One reason I'm posting pics of my pear below is to point out the color is solid and evenly distributed throughout the material, even in the side view.
Many FCDs have color that looks even face up (due to clever cutting) but is very uneven and blotchy in a side view.
Also, many FCD with blotchy color distribution, face up or side view, get a Color Distribution grade of "even" from GIA - which I find very perplexing.
I prefer this even solid color even in side view:

a.png

800.png

m.png

That was an education, in the response, and what I hope to get, here on PS. Thank you for taking the time to explain part of the world of Fancy Colored Diamonds.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're welcome.
BTW, I have always adored your avatar's blue sapphire! .:kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

dvj

Shiny_Rock
If you have the money, (and if the close up images don’t reveal a ton of inclusions as @kenny suggested to check) I would do it just because owning a blue and very beautiful diamond would feel so special to me—even if it’s tiny. I like the idea of having something so special that other people wouldn’t know is special. Like you, I would want to wear it so I could see it. Either as part of a simple, inconspicuous band, or maybe like @oncrutchesrightnow suggested as the centre of a small flower. But that’s just me. Good luck with your decision!

dvj

Shiny_Rock
PS I found this 0.08 carat fancy blue diamond for almost 6,000. But I think the color on yours is more beautiful. (I say this not as an expert, or even expert hobbiest, just someone who admires and hopes to own a blue or green fancy colored diamond some day!)

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
PS I found this 0.08 carat fancy blue diamond for almost 6,000. But I think the color on yours is more beautiful. (I say this not as an expert, or even expert hobbiest, just someone who admires and hopes to own a blue or green fancy colored diamond some day!)

In my opinion, it’s bot even close in color, feels highly overpriced compared to the one OP shared

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
It is small but I don't believe you'd be able to get a better price for the color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results