shape
carat
color
clarity

Time to select a setting

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
I disappeared with a wealth of information after receiving a lot of help selecting a nice stone. I'm now into the setting selection phase. I don't really think I can go wrong with any of the following, but I thought I would get some opinions. I'll leave price out of it. I'll try to explain any modifications to a setting in an effort to meet budget. All will be rose gold. Any opinion on removing pave in favor of engraving? I really like engraving. I think the added shadows will go nicely with the rose gold. At the moment I'm leaning towards #1 and #3

1. http://www.stevenkirsch.com/media/c...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/2/0215-f_1260.jpg
0215-f_1260.jpg

2. One row of diamonds on the basket instead of two http://www.stevenkirsch.com/media/c...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/2/0212-s_1240.jpg

3. This design as a split shank for round cut, with less pave on band and more engraving.
https://www.victorcanera.com/uploads/product-images/detail-medium-1417368461-4598-303-954_1.jpg

4. http://d3c559tsasfe.cloudfront.net/.../t/a/tacori-engagement-rings-2565rd9_20_5.jpg

5. I'm looking into a split shank version of this.
http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/productimages/medium/31-808-FY-14E.jpg

0212-s_1240.jpg

detail-medium-1417368461-4598-303-954_1.jpg

tacori-engagement-rings-2565rd9_20_5.jpg

31-808-fy-14e.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1. No contest. I mean... it's not even a question, this is the one. I would ask Steven to make it so that a band can sit next to it.

2. Is a Daniel K rosebud inspired setting. But I don't like this particular version. It's very blocky. Also don't like the diamond collar at the bottom of the basket. It would rub against any band.

3. So according to your notes, nothing like the picture. You want a pave split shank.

4. I don't like the prong design on that Tacori. It's so blocky.

5. So, nothing like that. Another split shank.

Here let me help you,
This is a split shank. But it looks like you prefer bright cut pave instead of a v-cut types like this Steven Kirsch.
http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/solitaire/r0219.html

So something like this: http://www.pricescope.com/files/images/ShankPhoto.gif

Or this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/00/93/8f/00938faac07f8450ccbc09a14a786b0d.jpg

I think THIS is the perfect ring for you. The stone in the setting is a 1.5 carat. So it's perfect proportionally for your stone too. And it would look fantastic with Hand-engraving on the sides of the shank. AND ERD is Brilliantly Engaged's former name. So they can do it for you. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/modern-vintage-ring-from-erd.201518/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/modern-vintage-ring-from-erd.201518/[/URL]

Here are some of the pictures

image_3172.jpg
image_1645.jpg
image_1632.jpg
image_1656.jpg
image_1657.jpg
image_1660.jpg
img_3091.jpg
image_1696.jpg
image_1698.jpg
image_1705.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So here are some other options for you to consider:

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-acacia-solitaire-cvb-muse-collection/

From Victor: https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/the-collette-with-open-profile only instead of pave on the profile, I would do hand-engraving. And again, you can do bright cut pave, but this same design since bright cut is what you prefer.

This is brightcut pave:
maytal%20oval%201.jpg

Also brightcut:
pearlmansdanielkcushion1.jpg

Steven, Victor, or BE's handforged bench could all do the bright cut pave split shank for you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like #1, 2, and 3 with not quite as much pave. But these rings are designed for pave, so I wouldn't change them to engraving. Some engraving on the sides of the shank would be fine.

For the benefit of those who didn't follow your other thread, it would be helpful to know the diamond you chose. I need to go back and check that and then I'll comment further on the other options Gypsy has added.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so you bought a WF Ideal cut 1.5 ct stone. Your future fiancee saw Verragio with a twisted shank and liked that. Not sure how you have moved over to the current selections from there (and I agree that I would not choose Verragio). Has she shown you some new examples that she likes?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1452135500|3971967 said:
Okay, so you bought a WF Ideal cut 1.5 ct stone. Your future fiancee saw Verragio with a twisted shank and liked that. Not sure how you have moved over to the current selections from there (and I agree that I would not choose Verragio). Has she shown you some new examples that she likes?

GOOD point. I remembered he got a 1.5 carat but I forgot that she liked the twisted shank ring.

I STILL recommend this Tacori one, #4. http://www.since1910.com/tacori-2565rd-twist-pave-diamond-engagement-ring

UNLESS you can show her this ring and she loves it:
image_1705.jpg

Because there is a chance she might. And again, it's perfectly proportioned for a 1.5 carat stone.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
#1 is the one that speaks to me. It looks amazing.

Yes, she likes the twisted shank veraggio, but then I showed her one similar to #1, she really liked it. I've gathered that she really likes the detail work in the ring. Not necessarily loaded with diamonds. I refuse to buy something that will seem cheap, and neither of us care about name brand. She has no idea what tacori or verragio are.

I need to quit confusing split shank and twisted shank. That's going to impact my quotes. I can fix that tomorrow.

That ring that gypsy posted is really pretty. I'll inquire about that one tomorrow.

I just want her to be blown away when she sees it.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, #4 on my list is the 2565rd tacori. It's the rd9 vs the rd8 I think I would need. I do still like that one as well. I wish it had a little more engraving on it. I'm waiting on a quote for that one from WF.

What about #1 modified so it has a twist right before going into the claws? That seems like it would look really nice.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Medphysdave|1452136864|3971977 said:
Gypsy, #4 on my list is the 2565rd tacori. It's the rd9 vs the rd8 I think I would need. I do still like that one as well. I wish it had a little more engraving on it. I'm waiting on a quote for that one from WF.

You can always ask them to add hand engraving on the sides of it. It's a finish detail. Tacori can do it.

The BE one I posted is a STUNNING and unique ring. If she just likes detail, that's the perfect ring. It would look amazing in rose gold, I think.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
I'm going to look into the BE one tomorrow. Check the post above gypsy. I edited it at the time you were typing I think. Talking about modifying #1 into twist shank.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. you can't "modify" #1 for a twisted shank. What you want is a whole new design. Also that ring is proportioned for a large stone.

I may have a solution for you.

Here's a design I think you should get a quote on from Steven and from BE. I think it's gorgeous, has the twisted shank look, and the bright cut pave you want. Either bench should be able to execute it beautifully. And it would look great with a 1.5 carat stone.

Tell them you want this "shank" design, with a "gallery" that allows a "flush fit" band and to change the claws to "claw prongs" and "add hand-engraving to the sides of the shank." No halo (I can't tell if that has a halo) it would just be a solitaire.

cat-97505286-1.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally adore the BE ring Gypsy posted, but I love antique style rings. You have to know if she loves antique style before choosing that one. I'd do the shank rose gold and the head/prongs in platinum.

#1 is shown with a huge diamond. I wouldn't consider it for a 1.5. It is just not going to have the same impact scaled down that much.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the advice. I'll get some new quotes and report back.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
Any reason I shouldn't get a quote from Victor?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Medphysdave|1452172743|3972112 said:
Any reason I shouldn't get a quote from Victor?

No. But historically his prices are higher than the rest. And recently he hasn't been wanting to take 'pure' custom work. He seems to want you to pick from his current catalog and go from there. But by all means call him. He's a lovely man and his work is beautiful.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
He's really nice. He was willing to make a nice split shank that would have looked similar to the one you said to have quoted. I thought it was very reasonable. Or at least in the ballpark of the tacori I was looking at. He didn't want to mess with the twisted shank though. I'm still waiting on qotes from BE and tacori.

I'd like the tacori 2565 with the engraving of the 2606, so I've asked for a quote of that.

I sent SK a picture of the twisted shank you suggested, along with your comments, and a pic of the verragio my SO liked. I think she liked how the diamond was set and open. SK seems to have no problem, and had an idea. It's more than I want to spend, but it might be the key piece that makes it perfect. I really like the pictuees ive seen of his work.

The tacori would also be very appealing if I can get what I want. They are slow to get quotes to WF though.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you get the BE qoute?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
SK did my ring. Very big man, goid work.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Either Victor or Steven could do a shank like the Tacori 2565, and they could both do a better head that wasn't so high with much more beautiful claw prongs. It would be a higher quality product, really. I like a lot of Tacori designs, but I don't think workmanship is quite to the level of VC and SK. I have worked with Victor, and his work is fabulous. In addition, he has the most beautiful hand engraving I have ever seen. Important if you plan to have engraving on the ring.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
I did see the SK flowery one, and liked it. I've gotten to the point that I have to accept that my SO likes what's she likes, and I need to keep that in mind. Sooooooo. I'm looking at the twist pave design above, and applying elements of the verragio head design. Obviously I'll leave the "how" and blending to the designer. I was set to go with SK, but then got a quote from BE.

At the moment I feel like I could hand my money over to SK and be thrilled with what comes back. I read about good experiences with BE, but am unsure if I'm expecting the same level.

To go any further with BE I have to put up 50% to get the CAD process going.

From what I've seen from BE, and price point. I feel like I'd be a fool to not go with BE. I do feel that my quote will be an entry point, and I'll go up a bit.

Any opinions before I get put down the 50% and have the diamond shipped? I assume if I wasn't happy with the CAD I could just pay for the design work and we could part ways.

David

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy,

Any input on this latest conundrum?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are doing a Frankensetting, of the Verragio head and the shank of the ring below:
cat-97505286-1.jpg

I personally think Steven will be a smoother process with less stress. He is a designer and he is very good at blending designs and has a great eye. You have to trust him though. There won't be any CADs or sketches and if something looks wrong he won't do it. But you'll get a gorgeous end process.

With ERD you will get more control, I think because they will likely do CADs, and it won't be the same design as Steven's will end up. They have different processes and aesthetics. And I feel you'd run the risk of CAD after CAD of trying to explain something in your head to someone else. Or worse yet, having no idea how to merge the two because well, you aren't a jewelry designer. Which can be very hard, even for someone like me who has done the process several times.

So for me, I would go with Steven on a Frankenring. He will make it look cohesive because that just what he DOES. KWIM?

Yes, it will cost more. But you are paying for Steven's design expertise. Not just his bench. And that has a lot of value when you are trying to merge designs, and create something new. If you were just having them recreate something, not design something new, my answer would be different.

His work is worth the money. I promise. My own ring and my best friend's ring attest to that.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
WF got back to me about the tacori ring, but it was going to end up a full custom job that required tacori to produce CADs. I started out liking the 2565, but then the advice to listen to what my SO wants started setting in.

WF is now in the mix for an estimate of the frankenring. I figured it couldn't hurt. I hope to have a phone call with Steven today. I just need to ensure that my desire hasn't surpassed my budget.

Any opinion on WF vs BE? Both would be CAD.

I'm going to make a decision by weeks end.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No opinion between BE and WF. They've both produced gorgeous custom rings.

If BE is the handforged bench, not the CAD bench, then they get an edge.

But they are both excellent vendors.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
I believe both will be CAD.

My choice is SK if my idea, and his idea are in the same realm at the price he quoted. If I have to get a stripped down version to have SK make it, then I'll go CAD. I'll trade craftsmanship for sparkles as I know the increased "showyness" would create more smiles.

I've let both BE and WF know that I would be dependent upon them to blend the pieces into an amazing ring. I'm concerned that looking at CAD renderings will be too far from the final product to visualize the ring. Then again, I learned the the rings on the tacori site are renderings.

The hard part is going to be telling two of the three people that I'm going elsewhere. Everyone has been so helpful, and responsive to my questions.

Any links to quality CAD rings created by these vendors?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have another forum called "Show me the Bling" SMTB it is literally RIDDLED with WF and ERD/BE settings.

You can also do a google search for "ERD setting pricescope" or "BE CAD pricescope" Or ERD CAD pricescope". The see what pops up. Same with Whiteflash or WF. If you come up with someone's Rocky Talky thread, click on them and see if they have another thread started in SMTB with the final product.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
My diamond is shipping to SK. I'll upload the progress as the construction stages come in. It's even going to include opals. :)

I had an initial budget, then I increase it because of what my SO likes.

Then I took that figure, and doubled it. Lol

I think it's going to be amazing!

Rose gold

Hi David,
To recap the design so far:
Solitaire
Twisted shank set with diamonds 3/4 of the way
Inner ring design with bezeled opals worked into the design
Milgrain accents
Underbezel (basket) set with diamonds

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results