shape
carat
color
clarity

Tilt windowing on elongated cushion cut. SEND HELP! Lol

KristyLynn

Rough_Rock
Hey y’all! So we’ve been comparing stones for my engagement ring & I kind of love this one but it has a big flaw: bad tilt windowing. Unless looking at it head on, even a slight tilt shows windowing of 1/4 to 1/2 of the stone. The depth is slightly shallow and the table is slightly large which I’m sure is contributing to the issue. I love everything else about this stone but I’m wondering if this will bother me going forward as it only has full “sparkle” for lack of a better term when viewed head on. Will this be masked even slightly when it’s set or with a halo? SEND HELP. Lol I love the dimensions and ratio of this one (and the price was great) but I don’t want to be naive about this and regret it later. Almost all alternatives will have me with a smaller sized/dimensioned stone. Any advice is appreciated! Xo 56B46469-4C26-4E33-BB8C-AB461039D8AA.jpeg

Attachments

• 1E05443B-0811-4E08-9A73-3590372DD957.jpeg
    1E05443B-0811-4E08-9A73-3590372DD957.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 34E53278-F3AD-4D09-8626-CB90125A7C80.png
    34E53278-F3AD-4D09-8626-CB90125A7C80.png
    708.7 KB · Views: 150

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i can see why you are drawn to it

but if its bothering you enough to make a thread about it ...
well
i myself am not enjoying living with tilt windows smaller than that one

so i (who really doesn't know anything) say keep looking

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
That’s quite prominent to me and it would bother me too much to be happy with that stone. But I can see the appeal as the size looks great. Hopefully you can find one similar that’s cut better.

Have you shared your desired specs to see if some of our knowledgeable diamond hunters can help?

KristyLynn

Rough_Rock
i can see why you are drawn to it

but if its bothering you enough to make a thread about it ...
well
i myself am not enjoying living with tilt windows smaller than that one

so i (who really doesn't know anything) say keep looking

Thanks for the reply. Yes other than the tilt windowing it has all the specs I was looking for. We have another one with smaller dimensions, that has barely any tilt windowing, but for some reason it’s not as exciting to me. I think the cut of this one is more of “crushed ice” look - and the smaller one has bigger facets in the middle with smaller ones on the outside, and the uneven sparkle distribution bothers me. Lol that and the ratio & size is not as nice. Tough decisions! 28088FFB-EAF8-44D7-B283-71AFB6411066.jpeg

KristyLynn

Rough_Rock
That’s quite prominent to me and it would bother me too much to be happy with that stone. But I can see the appeal as the size looks great. Hopefully you can find one similar that’s cut better.

Have you shared your desired specs to see if some of our knowledgeable diamond hunters can help?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it is very prominent (especially the screen shots I took) lol they probably don’t look as bad in person but they are definitely still there (those are screen grabs of videos the exact second when it looks the worst lol ).

Honestly I feel like my boyfriend has become an expert diamond hunter at this point and we both have learned more about diamonds than anyone not in the industry ever should.

I found another semi-similar stone (see my reply to the last commenter) but it’s not as exciting to me, even though it really has no flaws

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I would be unable to live with that windowing. That said, I am not you. The size is appealing, that is for certain, and if it makes your heart sing in terms of faceting pattern and crushed ice appearance, only you can determine if the windowing will steal away your joy when admiring it.

Settings with intricate galleries that show under the stone might be able to help disguise the windowing a bit, but the halo itself won't be able to.

KristyLynn

Rough_Rock
I would be unable to live with that windowing. That said, I am not you. The size is appealing, that is for certain, and if it makes your heart sing in terms of faceting pattern and crushed ice appearance, only you can determine if the windowing will steal away your joy when admiring it.

Settings with intricate galleries that show under the stone might be able to help disguise the windowing a bit, but the halo itself won't be able to.

Thank you for your reply! Yeah I'm trying to figure out if it will bother me or not. LOL I guess that might be a question only I can answer - might have to stare at it some more.
I was hoping it might not be as noticeable once set but sounds like it might be just the same.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your reply! Yeah I'm trying to figure out if it will bother me or not. LOL I guess that might be a question only I can answer - might have to stare at it some more.
I was hoping it might not be as noticeable once set but sounds like it might be just the same.

It could very well be just the same once set, but it depends on what is visible through the window. An open gallery, like the first image, doesn't have anything to "see" through the window when the diamond is tilted, but if you go with something where you have an intricate gallery, such as in the second image, the white metal will show through the window, which could "close up" the window a bit, or at least make it less noticeable.

OpenGalleryExample.jpg
IntricateGalleryExample.jpg

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I can't speak for the setting masking the window, but I've never heard of or seen tilt windowing until this post! I don't consider myself snooty about diamond clarity or certain other aspects of the 4 Cs but.... that window would definitely bother me and seeing as you're taking photos from quite a far ways away, I am thinking that it will be easily noticed by others as well if the setting can't mask it?

I also didn't love how you mentioned that you can only see full sparkle face on. You may be happier if your stone is a bling fest from all angles!

Love the length of your fingers and nails and the look of an elongated cushion seems to be an elegant fit. Would hate for that window to detract from the overall look you're going for.

Perhaps a stone of this size only fell within your budget because of this flaw? But money spent is still money spent so maybe you can find something with a less visible flaw?

Also agree that if you share your specs and budget with PS-ers they should be able to guide you to some great selections!

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
I would say a little tilt windowing is always a welcome sight. It gives contrast.

THat said, in one of your pictures, the tilt window is pretty large.... not sure what to do. If it bothers you now, it'll bother you 10 years from now.

KristyLynn

Rough_Rock
It could very well be just the same once set, but it depends on what is visible through the window. An open gallery, like the first image, doesn't have anything to "see" through the window when the diamond is tilted, but if you go with something where you have an intricate gallery, such as in the second image, the white metal will show through the window, which could "close up" the window a bit, or at least make it less noticeable.

OpenGalleryExample.jpg
IntricateGalleryExample.jpg

That's interesting - you are probably right. We were playing around with it and put some tinfoil behind it just to see. LOL but you could still see the darkened corner/corners of it when angling it. I have had a more simple setting in mind since I ever started dreaming of engagement rings so I don't think a more elaborate setting is in the cards for me. Sadly it might have to go back :( took us so long to find one and now we have to hunt again. lol

KristyLynn

Rough_Rock
I can't speak for the setting masking the window, but I've never heard of or seen tilt windowing until this post! I don't consider myself snooty about diamond clarity or certain other aspects of the 4 Cs but.... that window would definitely bother me and seeing as you're taking photos from quite a far ways away, I am thinking that it will be easily noticed by others as well if the setting can't mask it?

I also didn't love how you mentioned that you can only see full sparkle face on. You may be happier if your stone is a bling fest from all angles!

Love the length of your fingers and nails and the look of an elongated cushion seems to be an elegant fit. Would hate for that window to detract from the overall look you're going for.

Perhaps a stone of this size only fell within your budget because of this flaw? But money spent is still money spent so maybe you can find something with a less visible flaw?

Also agree that if you share your specs and budget with PS-ers they should be able to guide you to some great selections!

Yes there is not much on the web about tilt windowing for diamonds - there are a few posts about it related to precious gems. That's partly why I made this post so other people could be aware to look out for it.

You're right it should sparkle from all angles - we are looking at another one and it's lit up from every angle which is certainly the ideal.

I'm thinking the flaw is why it was priced lower - but it's hard to say. All of the elongated cushions seem to have some tilt window, but this one is very prominent.

Thank you for your input! That was a really helpful summary of my pros and cons. LOL I think I just love the dimensions and sparkle so much it's hard to weigh everything. But my bf is a stickler on quality so it's most likely going back - hoping I can find another one that I feel like I love too (without the windowing issue). lol

KristyLynn

Rough_Rock
I would say a little tilt windowing is always a welcome sight. It gives contrast.

THat said, in one of your pictures, the tilt window is pretty large.... not sure what to do. If it bothers you now, it'll bother you 10 years from now.

Yeah it's a lot of tilt windowing for this one. I'm not sure if it bothers me, but I definitely notice it and then started digging into information about it. My bf thinks that if he were to see that on someone's hand in passing he would just assume it was a big inclusion lol, which isn't ideal.

Reactions: Kya

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
Gotta be careful, some diamonds that I’ve seen sparkle don’t have the contrast or playful facets as some with tilt windows.

KristyLynn

Rough_Rock
Gotta be careful, some diamonds that I’ve seen sparkle don’t have the contrast or playful facets as some with tilt windows.

That's interesting. Well I posted a pic of another diamond I was comparing (above) that has barely any tilt window (and when it does show it's a sliver compared to a giant 1/4 square like this one), but the center has bigger facets and the middle of diamond looks a little dull in comparison to the elongated ends with smaller facets in my opinion.

For the ones you have seen, are the tilt windows as large as this one?

From any angle it's a perfect 1/4 of the diamond that shows the window (the pictures only show the top left corner but it happens in any corner depending on which way I tilt it) & for a split second I can get 1/2 of the diamond windowing at the right angle.
It also windows as you turn the diamond, in 1/4 increments (like not in a perfect square, but more triangular shaped - if that makes any sense to you. lol

I posted a video on it in another forum:

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
I wish I could post a video but it was these two that I was able to capture.

Left had more of a tilt window and had more life to my eyes
98BC5CB4-4245-455F-887D-8DB6930BD72D.jpeg

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
That's interesting. Well I posted a pic of another diamond I was comparing (above) that has barely any tilt window (and when it does show it's a sliver compared to a giant 1/4 square like this one), but the center has bigger facets and the middle of diamond looks a little dull in comparison to the elongated ends with smaller facets in my opinion.

For the ones you have seen, are the tilt windows as large as this one?

From any angle it's a perfect 1/4 of the diamond that shows the window (the pictures only show the top left corner but it happens in any corner depending on which way I tilt it) & for a split second I can get 1/2 of the diamond windowing at the right angle.
It also windows as you turn the diamond, in 1/4 increments (like not in a perfect square, but more triangular shaped - if that makes any sense to you. lol

I posted a video on it in another forum:

I watched your video and the size and location of those windows would personally bother me a LOT especially if it was in something simple like a solitaire.

Not that this is hugely important since you're the one that gets to look at it all the time, but have your BF hold the stone and do the same motions while you see it from other angles to see what other people will see. This might show even more tilt windows and those windows being visible might help make your decision easier.

My philosophy, especially on a big purchase, is that if I'm having any doubts or feelings of "I wish it didn't have..." then I don't buy it and I keep looking. If I don't absolutely love it* the day I buy it, it's never once occurred that I've grown to love it later.

*It = mostly speaking about clothes in this context, but I think it applies to everything. Stuff I've bought that I was kind of meh about usually ended up sitting in the closet and never being worn.

KristyLynn

Rough_Rock
I wish I could post a video but it was these two that I was able to capture.

Left had more of a tilt window and had more life to my eyes
98BC5CB4-4245-455F-887D-8DB6930BD72D.jpeg

I agree, the left looks prettier. I just spoke with a jeweler & she mentioned that the bigger facets in the center of the smaller stone I pictured above helps to reduce the windowing effect (which is funny because that is what I don't like about that stone - lol). I'm wondering if the crushed ice look or smaller center facets facilitates the window - vs. the bigger facets in the center (which I don't particularly like the look of) helps to minimize the windows as she said. If the windows are inevitable with the look I'm going for then I'd hate to send this one back to get one with smaller dimensions with the same problem. Ugh.

KristyLynn

Rough_Rock
I watched your video and the size and location of those windows would personally bother me a LOT especially if it was in something simple like a solitaire.

Not that this is hugely important since you're the one that gets to look at it all the time, but have your BF hold the stone and do the same motions while you see it from other angles to see what other people will see. This might show even more tilt windows and those windows being visible might help make your decision easier.

My philosophy, especially on a big purchase, is that if I'm having any doubts or feelings of "I wish it didn't have..." then I don't buy it and I keep looking. If I don't absolutely love it* the day I buy it, it's never once occurred that I've grown to love it later.

*It = mostly speaking about clothes in this context, but I think it applies to everything. Stuff I've bought that I was kind of meh about usually ended up sitting in the closet and never being worn.

Yeah you can definitely see it from any angle that is not head on. LOL My boyfriend said he wouldn't be proud of the quality of this one and wants one with better quality. But I haven't been able to find one with dimensions nearly as large (this one is at 12.25mm long - which is probably too long for a 5 ct) but I like the look/size of it. I feel like I should keep looking but I'm just scared to send this one back and regret it. lol

Kya

Shiny_Rock
The search for THE one can take a while. But if it sort of bothers you now, you might always have that slight disappointment that can overshadow the appreciation for the diamond.

I would be in the same quandary - the stone is SO perfect otherwise. But the tilt window is very big and kind of disappointing. The setting would not make that go away.

Good luck!!!

EClove

Shiny_Rock
I can totally see why you love this stone but I have to agree with everyone above - if it's bothering you now, it will undoubtedly bother you as you're wearing it. I am no expert but like you, i think it is the shallowness of the stone

Was trying to do some searching for another one for you, and this one faces up a bit smaller but looks to have pretty even facets? https://www.adiamor.com/Lab-Diamonds/5.04-ct-G-VS1-Excellent-Cut-Cushion-Diamond/D51080342

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck with the search. Not sure what vendor you're using to purchase online (or in person) but see if they have a concierge or customer service person that could look at the stones for you to look for this kind of tilt window before you commit to buying one. Or maybe even send a video of it so you can see if any windowing is acceptable to you.

Or if you've picked out a jeweler who will be making your ring and that you trust, ask them to help you source the perfect stone and vet it for you/bring it in house to send a video before committing.

Good luck!

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
Totally understand what you are saying, you don’t want to lose a potentially good stone chasing after something else. The prettier left stone bothered me that I ended up returning the right one. I ended up buying a different oval altogether which has some windowing but even better overall than the left, combining the color or the right with a. Even larger overall dimension. 000595AF-21FF-4C3F-AA8E-096A594235FE.jpeg

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
I agree, the left looks prettier. I just spoke with a jeweler & she mentioned that the bigger facets in the center of the smaller stone I pictured above helps to reduce the windowing effect (which is funny because that is what I don't like about that stone - lol). I'm wondering if the crushed ice look or smaller center facets facilitates the window - vs. the bigger facets in the center (which I don't particularly like the look of) helps to minimize the windows as she said. If the windows are inevitable with the look I'm going for then I'd hate to send this one back to get one with smaller dimensions with the same problem. Ugh.

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
What did you decide to do?

Reactions: Kya

KristyLynn

Rough_Rock
Totally understand what you are saying, you don’t want to lose a potentially good stone chasing after something else. The prettier left stone bothered me that I ended up returning the right one. I ended up buying a different oval altogether which has some windowing but even better overall than the left, combining the color or the right with a. Even larger overall dimension. 000595AF-21FF-4C3F-AA8E-096A594235FE.jpeg

This one is pretty! It seems to have the bigger cuts in the middle like the jeweler was saying... I wonder if that is the trade off with the tilt windows.

KristyLynn

Rough_Rock
What did you decide to do?

We still have the diamond but but I think it's going back. We had 30 days to return. I'm sad about it so I think the bf is waiting for me to get over it before he sends it back. LOL

KristyLynn

Rough_Rock
If we find another I will post it here to keep y'all posted. LOL Maybe inspiration to someone going through the same contemplations. I appreciate everyone's advice & comments! It's so hard to figure these things out, especially when learning about diamonds for the first time - so much to know!

EClove

Shiny_Rock
I don’t know why I didn’t think about this before but maybe reach out to Jon at distinctive gem about his lab diamonds! They may be a little more, but you can get one custom cut and he offers that beautiful crushed ice look

If we find another I will post it here to keep y'all posted. LOL Maybe inspiration to someone going through the same contemplations. I appreciate everyone's advice & comments! It's so hard to figure these things out, especially when learning about diamonds for the first time - so much to know!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@KristyLynn The window would bother me because it is large. If you love it that’s all that matters. One thing that I wanted to mention is that you should put it over a band to get an idea how it would look set. I think you would be able to see the band through your setting when tilted. You have to decide if that would bother you..Good luck finding the diamond that you love.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results