shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany''s??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aware1

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and have spent two weeks looking in every store on 5th Ave. Please tell me it is possible to get a fabulous diamond from somewhere other than Tiffany''s. We are looking a 1.5 - 1.7 VVS2/VS1 F/G stones. I know we can get this stone in a million places. But I am hoping someone can deter me from the Tiffany hype about their "cut" and perfect everything else. Is it possible to buy a stone with the right depth, table, polish, fluoresence etc from a private dealer. We have an appt'' with one who comes highly recommended next week.

l

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
Every good store has a stone like this or knows where to get one for you. We sell mostly higer grade stones, although sometimes the customer wants lower grade stones. If you tell us where you live, someone on this site will know where to shop. You will also get a group of names to buy that stone on line.
Just ask one question about cut and see where it goes.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Based on my own experience, I'd say...yes...it's possible.

1) Review the tutorial on this site.
2) Presuming you're local to NYC, visit the 2 - 3 vendors lised here for internet vendors who are near you, and review your options/needs with them.
3) Be thankful you found this site, and don't be afraid to know your BATNA (best alternative to a negotiated agreement...presumably with Tiffanys); that is, know and understand what you can get from other vendors, as against Tiffanys; you may decide you want Tiffanys still, ultimately
4) Be happy with your choice, which is allowed to be based on ephemeral factors, including a desire to have that Tiffany's stone.

P.S. But, just so you know, if you search here on the "search by cut" database (recommended), you'd find that, based on your stated requirements, you could get from any of several vendors a beautiful diamond for about $15,500 give or take $1200. Two options exist at Good Old Gold, or could be gotten to them for you to see, and they are not far from you. There's another couple of options at Nice Ice, one of which is viewable here

aware1

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much all who have posted!! What do you mean by "ask one question about cut?" I have learned not to ask whether something is ideal cut or brilliant cut as everyone says yes. What is the one question?

Thanks again for helping. I would love to save a ton of money, I know I will love whatever we pick!

lt

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ditto.

I'm sure a diamond you purchase from Tiffany's will be a good diamond- a SMALLer diamond that you could buy elsewhere, but a good diamond. BUT

I just don't "get" the allure of the blue box. Are you going to be carrying the blue box around with you? If I see a beautiful stone, I'm not asking where you got it...and if you volunteer the info that it's from Tiffany that would be VERY obnoxious. I just want a good rock. I don't care where it's from.

reena

Ideal_Rock
it's ABSOLUTELY possible, and you'll be astounded at how much more you can get for your money, too. tiffany's is all hype--don't do it. they try to coerce you into buying from them by making it sound like if you shop elsewhere, you're going to end up with a piece of you-know-what. (sorry--not a fan.) it would be one thing if you were hung up on having the blue box, but it doesn't sound like that's the case, so you have LOTS of other options.

in addition to those stores Q recommended, you can try mark at engagementringsdirect.com. he is also a dealer with an office (but not a storefront) in the city and i bought my diamond through him.
1.gif
good luck!

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/29/2004 11:09:22 PM aware1 wrote:

My boyfriend and have spent two weeks looking in every store on 5th Ave. Please tell me it is possible to get a fabulous diamond from somewhere other than Tiffany's. Is it possible to buy a stone with the right depth, table, polish, fluoresence etc from a private dealer. We have an appt' with one who comes highly recommended next week.
----------------

aware,
It's exciting to get engaged but don't rush this purchase. SPend a week absorbing PS so you know what you want. Maybe price out a few stones in your target area before going to meet the private dealer.
My questions would be,
- will his stones be certified
- what is the return policy

If you love the Tiffany design, then just buy the setting. You can do much better on the diamond elsewhere.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
No offense but you could probably buy a better diamond at Walmart than you could at Tiffanys

aware1

Rough_Rock
No offense taken....that is why I asked.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
"No offense but you could probably buy a better diamond at Walmart than you could at Tiffanys"

Let's not get carried away
rodent.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/30/2004 2:39:49 PM Blueman33 wrote:

I am not aware of 'Walmart Standard', but am well aware of 'Tiffany Standard', which none of the internet vendors that I am aware of, adhere to...Most the on-line Jewelers that we praise sell below Tiffany Standard. Not everything, but any vendor who sells a J color or below or an SI1 or below is selling below Tiffany Standard----------------

Just so aware1 is clear what you mean by this Blueman: Tiffany, as I understand it, refuses to stock stones below I color and VS2 clarity. That is the "Tiffany Standard" to which Blueman refers and to which some internet vendors do not adhere--that is, they DO make stones of that color and clarity available for their customers. but what color and clarity diamonds are AVAILABLE from a particular vendor is not really the point. as long as you are educated and know what you're getting when you get a stone of a particular color or clarity, that "Standard" isn't going to mean jack. (unless you want a J or an SI1, in which case you can't buy from Tiffany.) Most importantly, that particular set of standards does not mean you're guaranteed a good stone just because you buy at Tiffany (and I don't think Blueman was trying to suggest that either).

Now, Tiffany may have particular cut standards for their stones as well, I don't know. But the point I'm making here is that Tiffany's doesn't have some magical monopoly on well-cut diamonds vis-a-vis internet vendors (or other B&M stores), so you shouldn't feel that if you don't purchase there, you won't get a quality diamond.

kaya

Rough_Rock
We bought my center stone from Good Old Gold in Long Island and highly recommend him. Jonathan took the time to explain all the c's esp cut of the stone to my bf more than me since I did all the reading on here. Anyhow, I flew in just to see the stone from GOG, so did the bf. And it was worth it.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Blueman wrote: "Not everything, but any vendor who sells a J color or below or an SI1 or below is selling below Tiffany Standard"

Ummm, blueman- the real issue is cut quality, is it not?. And color and clarity has nothing to do with that (unless we're in the world of frozen monkey spit).

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/30/2004 3:01:31 PM moremoremore wrote:

Blueman wrote: 'Not everything, but any vendor who sells a J color or below or an SI1 or below is selling below Tiffany Standard'

Ummm, blueman- the real issue is cut quality, is it not?. And color and clarity has nothing to do with that (unless we're in the world of frozen monkey spit).

----------------

No, the issue was not cut quality, but I will stand behind that as well.

The issue was Walmart vs. Tiffany. My point was that you are NOT getting a better product at Walmart than Tiffany. I discussed the Tiffany Standard for color and clarity. To my knowledge no other store has been able to establish a standard by which others compare, and extremely few meet.

Cut qaulity was not discussed, but I will go out on a limb here and state that the tyical diamonds at Tiffany has a superior cut than ones at Walmart.

I can knock Tiffany for only one reason. Price. I have never heard of anyone buying a stone at Tiffany's and having a complaint. Granted, I don't know anyone...but haven't seen people blasting Tiffany's on the net.

They created arguably the most successful solitare setting ever in history, they have the largest yellow diamond in the world on display in nyc, they have created a standard in the diamond industry. They charge mega bucks. They're an up and up company. If I hazzarded a guess, it would be that their stones are cut well.

PS folks, like myself, are just more frugal with our money, IMO.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/30/2004 10:42:29 AM Ricardo07 wrote:

If you love the Tiffany design, then just buy the setting. ----------------

Just curious.....how would you propose she do this? Tiffany's doesn't sell the setting alone....and that's firm.

reena

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/30/2004 4:00:09 PM Blueman33 wrote:

I discussed the Tiffany Standard for color and clarity. To my knowledge no other store has been able to establish a standard by which others compare, and extremely few meet.

----------------

i dont understand this point. any vendor could establish an arbitrary color and clarity cutoff if it wanted to. how is that an accomplishment, and how does it make any difference to the purchaser, other than limiting his or her options?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
show me proof blueman that a tiffany is better cut than a good H&A and that will end this discussion, no? Can you provide me a Bscope or lightscope image of a tiffany stone?

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/30/2004 4:22:12 PM moremoremore wrote:

show me proof blueman that a tiffany is better cut than a good H&A and that will end this discussion, no? Can you provide me a Bscope or lightscope image of a tiffany stone?----------------

What are you talking about?

I said that Tiffany Diamonds are better than Walmart.

So if you want to end the discussion, go to Walmart and buy their average 1 carat stone, and I go into Tiffany and buy their average 1 carat stone.

We send them to Atlas who can do the reports you want and ask him which is better.

If he says, Walmart I will pay for both the stones and you get both of them!

If he says, Tiffany, you pay for both stones and I will get them!

Deal?
1.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
wanted to add another stone for your consideration
1.gif
this luvly 1.71 G VS1 from GOG. GOG has a B&M store located on Long Island & they're v well-respected
4.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
You can do just as well at another vendor and get a well-cut diamond in the "Tiffany standard" color & clarity grades if you do some homework and look around thoroughly. I don't think the premium Tiffany charges is worth it, personally. I'd rather use that money on a larger diamond and/or nicer setting.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/30/2004 6:46:25 PM Blueman33 wrote:

----------------
On 9/30/2004 4:22:12 PM moremoremore wrote:

show me proof blueman that a tiffany is better cut than a good H&A and that will end this discussion, no? Can you provide me a Bscope or lightscope image of a tiffany stone?----------------

What are you talking about?

I said that Tiffany Diamonds are better than Walmart.

----------------

Blue, I think I know where the confusion is.....

That's not all you said. To quote you: "(I) am well aware of 'Tiffany Standard', which none of the internet vendors that I am aware of adhere to."

That's why you're getting comments about comparing Tiff stones to H&A....you opened that door by referring to 'internet vendors'.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Blueman...I skimmed a bit b/c I'm tired...but in your first post you wrote:

"but am well aware of "Tiffany Standard", which none of the internet vendors that I am aware of, adhere to"
Tiffany stone will be excellent. It will cost more than the exact same stone elsewhere though. Most the on-line Jewelers that we praise sell below Tiffany Standard. Not everything, but any vendor who sells a J color or below or an SI1 or below is selling below Tiffany Standard."

I think it's pretty clear what you're saying. I think most agree that you are wrong but you are entitled to your own opinion.

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/30/2004 7:45:49 PM moremoremore wrote:

Blueman...I skimmed a bit b/c I'm tired...but in your first post you wrote:

'but am well aware of 'Tiffany Standard', which none of the internet vendors that I am aware of, adhere to'
Tiffany stone will be excellent. It will cost more than the exact same stone elsewhere though. Most the on-line Jewelers that we praise sell below Tiffany Standard. Not everything, but any vendor who sells a J color or below or an SI1 or below is selling below Tiffany Standard.'

I think it's pretty clear what you're saying. I think most agree that you are wrong but you are entitled to your own opinion.----------------

It's an opinion, until someone shows me differently, which is NOT a problem. But my opinion is a fact until that happens.

Ok, tell me what internet vendor adhere's to Tiffany Standard? PLEASE SEND ME A LIST OF INTERNET VENDORS WHO REFUSE TO SELL LESS THAN I AND REFUSE TO SELL LESS THAN VS.....

Not WF, not GOG, not DI, not USCert, ......who does?

I stated clearly that you could get the same stone at any one of these places for less. I have stated Tiffany's is pricey.

BUT SHOW ME THE VENDORS. SHOW ME THE ONLINE VENDORS THAT SELL ONLY I OR BETTER AND ONLY VS OR BETTER.

If my 'opinion' is wrong, just SHOW ME THE VENDOR!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, but it is Tiffanys that are indifferent not the internet vendors. Most B&M stores sell stones below I and VS2. Different people have different amounts of money to spend and they are catering for them all. Tiffany is only catering for the middle class. I read somewhere on this board also that to the very rich Tiffany & Co are likened to what a supermarket is to the working class. In other words Tiffany are not where the Super Rich shop as can be seen with celebrity diamonds. So different products for different pricepoints.

engageme

Rough_Rock
Just to put in my 2 cents, I purchased an e-ring (Center Stone: .70/D/VVS2, with 12 side diamonds G-H/VS1-VS2 in a channel mount) at BlueNile.com for $5000. When I had it appraised buy a vendor listed on this site he said it would have a value at Tiffany's for $8400. This was purchased about a month ago and was followed up with an appraisal a few days later.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Joe

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
All Tiffany's is is Walmart with a price tag. The quality at Tiffany's really is not that great. Its downright mediocre. Im just amazed that Blueman is defending the blue ripoff to his death.

I have see Tiffany's "quality standards" compared to a REAL ideal cut stone. Hands down, NOT the Tiffany's. In fact, the Tiffany stone looked JUST LIKE FROZEN SPIT.

I will NEVER believe that MALL CHAIN STORE to be of anything more than a MALL CHAIN.

The difference between Tiffany's "standards" and everyone elses are the color and clarity, NOT THE CUT QUALITY. If you go below and I and VS and it is cut right, its going to still look better than a Tiffany "standard".'

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 10/1/2004 2:00:55 AM Blueman33 wrote:

----------------

Ok, tell me what internet vendor adhere's to Tiffany Standard? PLEASE SEND ME A LIST OF INTERNET VENDORS WHO REFUSE TO SELL LESS THAN I AND REFUSE TO SELL LESS THAN VS.....
----------------

Why do you make it seem a given that the quality standard is color & clarity? Quality standard is CUT & the internet vendors H&A stones do exceed the tiffanys cut quality.

If you ask me, it's as if Tif takes advantage of the uneducated consumer - they cut off the color/clarity so the masses assume they have higher standards. Quite simply, it behooves them to do so because they can charge more money for the higher color/clarity product.

Color perception is subjective - *GASP* - some people actually PREFER the look of Js or slightly warmer colors. I would be insulted if someone told me my rings weren't high quality because they're Js - I chose them, as it was my preference, and they couldn't be any more beautiful to me. The internet vendors give you enough credit to allow you the right to choose Js & below.

Also, I don't care whether it's IF or SI2 - I can't see the difference if they're both eye-clean. To go up in clarity because Tif deigns that anything lower than VS2 isn't worthy, is B.S.& a waste of money IMHO.

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
OK enough is enough, lets just leave it as most Pricescopers hate T&C. (I'm not one of them) It really irks me to no end to constantly see this sort of stupid thread.
angryfire.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
i'm not sure what is so stupid about it. someone posted asking whether tiffany is the only place where one can find a quality diamond. certainly, it is not. i think that most of the posters were just trying to make that clear. there's a difference between saying that tiffany's has inferior stones (which i don't think most posters were trying to suggest) and saying that they do not necessarily have SUPERIOR stones (and that you can get more for your money elsewhere). as the point of this forum is consumer education, that doesn't seem to me to be an inappropriate topic to discuss.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results