shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany''s offer SI1 for E-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Hello
35.gif
everybody I found out about a week ago that Tiffany offers SI1 now for there engagement ring but on the classic tiffany setting. The SA said they are starting with that first. What are your thoughts about this, I would love to hear from you guys Thanks.
1.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Not surprised...

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I think it would important to see exactly what the differences were across the board...

*how much more carat weight are we talking?
*Is it eye clean?
*What is color?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Craziness!

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
I think that''s a terrible idea. Tiffany''s is expensive partly because of quality control. I get they are trying to be more affordble but they''ve always been a store that caters to those with a bit more money and that''s how they should keep it. If Tiffayny''s is suddnely affordable for everyone, they will lose prestige.

kamahsutra

Rough_Rock
I would have to agree with the above statement. That is not their market, and they should not attempt to be in that space. They''ve already damaged their brand with all the inexpensive silver pieces that they try to lure more customers into their stores with. I''m wondering if they came up with the strategy prior to the economy tanking or post....

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for replying. Kamahsutra I did ask the SA and she mentioned it is due to the economy they started to offer SI1.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
If they dilute their prestige, they''re going to piss off their existing customers who spent plenty for boasting rights.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
honestly, though, they're way overextended. When I was a kid, the only Tiff's around was at South Coast Plaza, and the one in Beverly Hills, of course. Very exclusive. Now, Tiff's is in every other mall in middle America.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 4:15:01 PM
Author: glitterata
If they dilute their prestige, they''re going to piss off their existing customers who spent plenty for boasting rights.
Yup... +1

I also think that the differences in opinion as to eye cleanliness is a time bomb.

What next...Tiffany CZ?

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
i do not like that branding but i guess they just care about the money, not the quality (not saying that si1''s are bad)

i know they used to not grade any mounted stone as "flawless" because the setting obsecures the view of the "complete" diamond so im sure they will change that also

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2009 4:37:39 PM
Author: MikeRato1
i do not like that branding but i guess they just care about the money, not the quality (not saying that si1''s are bad)

i know they used to not grade any mounted stone as ''flawless'' because the setting obsecures the view of the ''complete'' diamond so im sure they will change that also
No mounted stones are graded as flawless.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
ah, and now we are getting into the subjective term, "quality."

Many a person with an eyeclean/loupe clean SI1 might disagree with with the notion that SI1 is not "quality."

At Tiffany, there is something for someone in every tax bracket and varying levels of quality.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 3:50:39 PM
Author: Diamond Confused
I think that''s a terrible idea. Tiffany''s is expensive partly because of quality control. I get they are trying to be more affordble but they''ve always been a store that caters to those with a bit more money and that''s how they should keep it. If Tiffayny''s is suddnely affordable for everyone, they will lose prestige.
To some of us who remember the Tiffany''s of the 70''s, that prestige flew out the window some time ago. Tiffany''s is just another very well branded jewelry store with upscale locations IMO.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 5:13:23 PM
Author: purrfectpear

Date: 2/13/2009 3:50:39 PM
Author: Diamond Confused
To some of us who remember the Tiffany''s of the 70''s, that prestige flew out the window some time ago. Tiffany''s is just another very well branded jewelry store with upscale locations IMO.
Yup, was going to agree. I am starting to think of tiff''s as a mall jewelery store...just in better malls.

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Just a side note: Advance Happy Valentines Day to Everyone. Coati I think your avatar is so cute! its actually one of my favorites.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
(For me) the mystic of Tiffany & Co. is long gone. The day they began producing junk silver that could be easily knocked and sold on eBay was when they hit rock bottom. Second is when they opened a retail space next to Baby Gap
2.gif

Still, regardless of what they sell, SIs or whatever, people will buy for the Tiffany brand. . . Many people are still stuck in that mode.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 6:12:27 PM
Author: xoxo
Just a side note: Advance Happy Valentines Day to Everyone. Coati I think your avatar is so cute! its actually one of my favorites.

Aw--thanks!
1.gif

and ditto PP and TGal--yup--sums it up.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 6:32:15 PM
Author: MC

Still, regardless of what they sell, SIs or whatever, people will buy for the Tiffany brand. . . Many people are still stuck in that mode.

This was my thought. Will SIs really 'spoil' the brand name that many seek? The idea of the "little blue box"? I wouldn't think it would.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
The day they began producing junk silver that could be easily knocked and sold on eBay was when they hit rock bottom.

SIs or whatever, people will buy for the Tiffany brand. . . Many people are still stuck in that mode.
This statement right here is precisely why I cannot participate in this thread. That's a harsh statement. They DON'T carry JUNK silver. They set the standard for silver. I have several high quality silver items from the store.......and they are surely not JUNK.

These statements are unacceptable in my book....

xoxo- I posted to you about my feelings on this in your thread for bee. You can read it there. Or, just join us over in LIW in the thread for those who actually appreciate Tiff's...
2.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
If they dilute their prestige, they're going to piss off their existing customers who spent plenty for boasting rights.
Agreed - they seem to be a bit confused about where they want to go. Not many years ago they were raising prices to deter the lower-income and younger clientele, originally attracted by the introduction of their silver pieces, that was 'tarnishing' their high-end appeal. They were trying to restore themselves as a 'luxury' store.

Now they're trying to appeal to the same people they were trying to drive away? It's odd, and doesn't seem in line with what their business model seemed to be not more than 5 years ago.

Perhaps, in this economy, they have no choice.

ETA: I don't disagree with those who've said that they're lot the same caliber as cartier, harry winston, etc. etc., but I sure wouldn't go so far as to say that they are currently on par with mall stores. I can't speak for their stock on the whole, but my wedding band is of impeccable quality, imvho (as are the two silver necklaces I have from there).

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 6:50:59 PM
Author: musey
Maybe so. Just look at the guys from Wall Street........(a lot of business lost there)

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 6:46:17 PM
Author: Dreamgirl

The day they began producing junk silver that could be easily knocked and sold on eBay was when they hit rock bottom.

SIs or whatever, people will buy for the Tiffany brand. . . Many people are still stuck in that mode.
This statement right here is precisely why I cannot participate in this thread. That''s a harsh statement. They DON''T carry JUNK silver. They set the standard for silver. I have several high quality silver items from the store.......and they are surely not JUNK.

Agreed DG--would not call their silver "junk."

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 6:50:59 PM

Agreed - they seem to be a bit confused about where they want to go. Not many years ago they were raising prices to deter the lower-income and younger clientele, originally attracted by the introduction of their silver pieces, that was ''tarnishing'' their high-end appeal. They were trying to restore themselves as a ''luxury'' store.

Now they''re trying to appeal to the same people they were trying to drive away? It''s odd, and doesn''t seem in line with what their business model seemed to be not more than 5 years ago.

Agreed, they don''t seem to know which way they want to go.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I don''t care one way or the other about this, as I never have and never would purchase something from Tiffany''s. I''d much rather spend the ame amount of money elsewhere and get a bigger better diamond (or whatever I was buying). I would also have no problem buying an SI stone for an engagement ring provided it was eye clean to my standards. BUT, I do think it''s a step down for them and their "prestige." IF I was the type to buy from there, I probably wouldn''t anymore if they continued to lower their standards.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 4:44:07 PM
Author: coatimundi
ah, and now we are getting into the subjective term, ''quality.''

Many a person with an eyeclean/loupe clean SI1 might disagree with with the notion that SI1 is not ''quality.''

At Tiffany, there is something for someone in every tax bracket and varying levels of quality.
I certainly agree. I think what people are suggesting is that Tiffany carries a bit of a quality guarantee for those without diamond/jewelry knowledge (at least it used to), that they could buy anything at a Tiffany store and feel assured that they got something very high in quality.

Not that SI1s are not "very high in quality," they just can vary and don''t fit some peoples'' (primarily that "don''t know much about diamonds" set) idea of "high quality." So while we know that there are fab-o SI1 diamonds out there, that stat would leave a bad taste in some (lesser-educated) peoples'' mouths.

That''s the issue, really - that their standards have been lowered into the "poor in the eyes of laymen" range. Not that they''re automatically selling crappier stuff with the introduction of SI1s.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 6:58:05 PM
Author: Kelli
I don't care one way or the other about this, as I never have and never would purchase something from Tiffany's.
Anything from Tiffany, or any large diamond from Tiffany?

Just curious. I am personally in the "wouldn't spend my money on a Tiffany e-ring" set, and never placed any kind of importance/mystique on the store... but that was really isolated to the high-markup items - ie: large center stones (be them diamonds or other types).

Sometimes I wonder if the people who post that mean that they literally would never purchase anything from Tiffany on principle, or that they just don't have an interest in the high-markup items (primarily engagement rings and other "large" (non-melee) stones) because they know that in that particular case, they can get bigger/better/more economical elsewhere.

I'd much rather spend the ame amount of money elsewhere and get a bigger better diamond (or whatever I was buying). I would also have no problem buying an SI stone for an engagement ring provided it was eye clean to my standards. BUT, I do think it's a step down for them and their 'prestige.' IF I was the type to buy from there, I probably wouldn't anymore if they continued to lower their standards.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally love the idea because I think SI stones are a great value, but I do agree with many here that it may make their quality look worse on the surface since basic customers equate low clarity as "poor quality."

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2009 7:05:37 PM
Date: 2/13/2009 6:58:05 PM

Author: Kelli

I don''t care one way or the other about this, as I never have and never would purchase something from Tiffany''s.

Anything from Tiffany, or any large diamond from Tiffany?

Just curious. I am personally in the ''wouldn''t spend my money on a Tiffany e-ring'' set, and never placed any kind of importance/mystique on the store... but that was really isolated to the high-markup items - ie: large center stones (be them diamonds or other types).

Sometimes I wonder if the people who post that mean that they literally would never purchase anything from Tiffany on principle, or that they just don''t have an interest in the high-markup items (primarily engagement rings and other ''large'' (non-melee) stones) because they know that in that particular case, they can get bigger/better/more economical elsewhere.

I''d much rather spend the ame amount of money elsewhere and get a bigger better diamond (or whatever I was buying). I would also have no problem buying an SI stone for an engagement ring provided it was eye clean to my standards. BUT, I do think it''s a step down for them and their ''prestige.'' IF I was the type to buy from there, I probably wouldn''t anymore if they continued to lower their standards.

I assume that rings and large diamond purchases might have less markup (30-40%) than silver, which is more like 300%-400%?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 6:46:17 PM
Author: Dreamgirl

This statement right here is precisely why I cannot participate in this thread. That''s a harsh statement. They DON''T carry JUNK silver. They set the standard for silver. I have several high quality silver items from the store.......and they are surely not JUNK.

xoxo- I posted to you about my feelings on this in your thread for bee. You can read it there. Or, just join us over in LIW in the thread for those who actually appreciate Tiff''s...
2.gif

ditto. Any silver pieces that I''ve bought have been fab and I would not call them junk. Also my ering is absolutely gorgeous and cannot be bought anywhere else but Tiffanys as it''s patented. I was not stuck in any mode when I bought it, I just adore it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results