shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany''s offer SI1 for E-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 7:17:47 PM
Author: bee*
Date: 2/13/2009 6:46:17 PM

Author: Dreamgirl

Date: 2/13/2009 6:32:15 PM

Author: MC

The day they began producing junk silver that could be easily knocked and sold on eBay was when they hit rock bottom.

SIs or whatever, people will buy for the Tiffany brand. . . Many people are still stuck in that mode.
This statement right here is precisely why I cannot participate in this thread. That''s a harsh statement. They DON''T carry JUNK silver. They set the standard for silver. I have several high quality silver items from the store.......and they are surely not JUNK.

These statements are unacceptable in my book....

xoxo- I posted to you about my feelings on this in your thread for bee. You can read it there. Or, just join us over in LIW in the thread for those who actually appreciate Tiff''s...
2.gif

ditto. Any silver pieces that I''ve bought have been fab and I would not call them junk. Also my ering is absolutely gorgeous and cannot be bought anywhere else but Tiffanys as it''s patented. I was not stuck in any mode when I bought it, I just adore it.

Hi Dreamgirl, I posted back at the thread I made for bee. My sister have silver pieces from Tiffany that her husband bought and even if its old it still looks lovely and beautiful from the day he bought it up to today. The quality I could say is excellent and she loves it to pieces.

Bee*, I cant wait till its time for us to choose our engagement ring at Tiffany''s and hopefully soon like what I have said. I really Love Tiffany and so is my SO so this will be one exciting and memorable experience for us.

Thanks everybody for all your comments. Again Advance Valentines Day and Great Weekend
1.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 7:13:42 PM
Author: JulieN
I assume that rings and large diamond purchases might have less markup (30-40%) than silver, which is more like 300%-400%?
Hey snarkster
2.gif
I wasn't actually thinking of the silver, I was thinking more of their wedding and eternity bands. My wedding band was about on par or maybe on a small (~10-20%, making the difference in the few hundred range, not $1000+) markup from other similar styles made by other designers. I chose to pay what to me felt like a relatively small markup because I couldn't find another design that was 'just right.'

It had nothing to do with the mystique of Tiffany, in fact I hadn't even intended to look there. I just went in with a friend because we were bored waiting around for our movie to start. The fact that my wedding band is from there is not really a point of pride for me (for the record). It just happened to be the store which I found the thing I most loved.

ETA: I am not a connoisseur of silver by any means, but I wouldn't very much mind paying a 300-400% markup on a design (imitations aside, you are technically paying for the 'design' there) which has an end cost of $150-200, but I would mind paying a 30-40% markup on a large diamond which has an end cost of $10k+. There the difference is a matter of multiple thousands of dollars, not a hundred or so.

Patented cuts, in my opinion, are a whole different monster. They fall into the 'design' category for me, and if nothing else will do, nothing else will do - I'm not about to criticize someone for that. If it's a RB, on the other hand, I have a difficult time understanding it (but again, not for me to criticize).

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can''t wait to see which ring you pick! I for one have never regretted my decision by getting my e-ring there and I''m sure you won''t either.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I hope I didn't offend anyone with my last post. I find nothing wrong with buying from Tiffany- I have two lovely silver pieces that are far from 'junk.'

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 7:32:02 PM
Author: musey
Date: 2/13/2009 7:13:42 PM

I assume that rings and large diamond purchases might have less markup (30-40%) than silver, which is more like 300%-400%?

Hey snarkster
2.gif
I wasn''t actually thinking of the silver, I was thinking more of their wedding and eternity bands. My wedding band was about on par or maybe on a small (~10-20%, making the difference in the few hundred range, not $1000+) markup from other similar styles made by other designers. I chose to pay what to me felt like a relatively small markup because I couldn''t find another design that was ''just right.''

It had nothing to do with the mystique of Tiffany, in fact I hadn''t even intended to look there. I just went in with a friend because we were bored waiting around for our movie to start. The fact that my wedding band is from there is not really a point of pride for me (for the record). It just happened to be the store which I found the thing I most loved.

That''s how I feel also.

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 7:32:57 PM
Author: bee*
Can't wait to see which ring you pick! I for one have never regretted my decision by getting my e-ring there and I'm sure you won't either.

Thanks bee for sure when we decide on which one and then do the purchase I will take lots of pics and tell you guys. I maybe will post back again and get opinions with size, etc. I'm sure because I tend to wonder hhmmm which of the two or three lol that they'll be showing us would be the one. I think I would want them to show us different ones with whatever price range we decide on but hopefully you guys are here to help me decide
1.gif
. Thanks.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 7:05:37 PM

Date: 2/13/2009 6:58:05 PM
Author: Kelli
I don''t care one way or the other about this, as I never have and never would purchase something from Tiffany''s.
Anything from Tiffany, or any large diamond from Tiffany?

Just curious. I am personally in the ''wouldn''t spend my money on a Tiffany e-ring'' set, and never placed any kind of importance/mystique on the store... but that was really isolated to the high-markup items - ie: large center stones (be them diamonds or other types).

Sometimes I wonder if the people who post that mean that they literally would never purchase anything from Tiffany on principle, or that they just don''t have an interest in the high-markup items (primarily engagement rings and other ''large'' (non-melee) stones) because they know that in that particular case, they can get bigger/better/more economical elsewhere.

I''d much rather spend the ame amount of money elsewhere and get a bigger better diamond (or whatever I was buying). I would also have no problem buying an SI stone for an engagement ring provided it was eye clean to my standards. BUT, I do think it''s a step down for them and their ''prestige.'' IF I was the type to buy from there, I probably wouldn''t anymore if they continued to lower their standards.
I guess it''s not that I NEVER would, I just don''t really ever plan on it. I like jewelry of all kinds, but I''ve never really fallen in love with one specific type or design that had to come from a particuar place. In my head, sterling silver is sterling silver. Period. I know there are little variances here and there, but nothing that can (to ME) justify a 300-400% mark-up. I got a sterling silver rolling ring on ebay for $8. I LOVE it. I got a sterling silver and black onyx ring on ebay for $6, that I stack with the rolling ring. It looks great, and I actually get compliments on it all the time. If I am looking for silver, I''m not going to go somewhere that charges an arm and a leg for it.

If I wandered in there (which I do from time to time) and found something I HAD TO HAVE and I could actually afford it, sure, I''d buy it. But as a general rule I''d rather shop where I know my dollar gets stretched further.

I certainly didn''t mean any offense though, as I have nothing against Tiffany''s jewelry. I think a lot of it is really beautiful (like your wedding band for example), which is why I go in there. But the price tags are why I always leave empty handed.

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 7:33:42 PM
Author: EBree
I hope I didn''t offend anyone with my last post. I find nothing wrong with buying from Tiffany- I have two lovely silver pieces that are far from ''junk.''

Hi EBree, Im glad to know you love your silver Tiffanys.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Tiffany has a long and distinguished history in silver--not so much silver jewelry, but silver for the table, the household, presentations, etc. In the mid 19th-early 20th century they were making some of the most beautifully crafted, innovative silver in America. (And their jewelry back then was nothing to sneeze at, either.)

I hope they can weather this economic crisis, because while I''m not an enormous fan of their current offerings, I have the deepest respect for their historical contribution.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2009 6:50:59 PM

Agreed - they seem to be a bit confused about where they want to go. Not many years ago they were raising prices to deter the lower-income and younger clientele, originally attracted by the introduction of their silver pieces, that was ''tarnishing'' their high-end appeal. They were trying to restore themselves as a ''luxury'' store.

Now they''re trying to appeal to the same people they were trying to drive away? It''s odd, and doesn''t seem in line with what their business model seemed to be not more than 5 years ago.

Perhaps, in this economy, they have no choice.

ETA: I don''t disagree with those who''ve said that they''re lot the same caliber as cartier, harry winston, etc. etc., but I sure wouldn''t go so far as to say that they are currently on par with mall stores. I can''t speak for their stock on the whole, but my wedding band is of impeccable quality, imvho (as are the two silver necklaces I have from there).
I agree completely. I think the quality is definitely there, even in the silver pieces. I like many Tiffany designs in general. They are very good at producing branded designs that appeal to many, many people. That will always be their strong side IMO.

As for them offering SI stones, why is that so bad? We already know that (excepting their branded cuts) they don''t always offer the best cut stones already. I would rather see them only offer absolutely ideal cut diamonds, with more range in colour and clarity (SI is far enough IMO). If they need to do something to survive, so be it.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
I have several pieces of silver from Tiffany, and they are far from junk. I wear them because I love them and they were the first pieces of jewelery my husband bought me. I would never consider wearing them because they came from Tiffany, I wear them because I love the person who gave them to me.
Every one is entitled to their opinion.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Tiffany''s just expanding the reach of their magic blue box since they have been missing out on the huge middle market. I don''t see this as brand dilution but more like product extension. Quality need not suffer since you can still control the ''eye cleanliness'' of SI gems as well as the workmanship of the settings.

Tiffany''s heritage will continue to command a premium. Given the choice between a Tiffany''s piece and a comparable one from some other brand, I would stretch my budget a little just to get that blue box and bragging rights! And I know that I wont be the only one who feel this way. Tiffany''s knows this too!
31.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, I didn''t say the junk thing, but I''ll clarify my own opinion.

Tiffany''s is not junk. But it IS a mass market branded jewelry store, albeit it higher end. I realize you''re not going to find a Tiffany''s in Anytown, USA, but you will surely find them in any major city including suburbs.

It is generally a great place to shop if you don''t want to do the homework and want something of good quality and certainly pretty. And you''ll pay a premium for it. To think otherwise is being naive IMHO.

Tiffany''s is a luxury brand, but they definitely market to middle class who want a taste of the upper crust. Almost any tourist can walk into Tiffany''s and afford something. If they are introducing SI''s, it''s because they are targeting Joe Blo who wants to impress Jane Doe with the blue box and this is a way to afford it.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
It is sort of like Coach. Once upon a time, it was a prestigous brand.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 9:04:47 PM
Author: glitterata
Tiffany has a long and distinguished history in silver--not so much silver jewelry, but silver for the table, the household, presentations, etc. In the mid 19th-early 20th century they were making some of the most beautifully crafted, innovative silver in America. (And their jewelry back then was nothing to sneeze at, either.)

I hope they can weather this economic crisis, because while I''m not an enormous fan of their current offerings, I have the deepest respect for their historical contribution.
Well said.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 4:17:07 PM
honestly, though, they''re way overextended. When I was a kid, the only Tiff''s around was at South Coast Plaza, and the one in Beverly Hills, of course. Very exclusive. Now, Tiff''s is in every other mall in middle America.
Well, that''s really an exaggeration. Every other mall in middle America? Please just look at a list. That''s not actually true.

Did any of you know that the Harry Winston boutique in Honolulu is in a mall? Yes, a big mall.

As far as S1''s being sold by Tiffany & Co, if it''s true (SA''s get things wrong all the time), I think it''s a mistake. They''d be better off slapping a reasonable price on their VS2 RB''s IMO (not that they''re going to ask me).

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2009 2:24:18 AM
Author: Imdanny

honestly, though, they're way overextended. When I was a kid, the only Tiff's around was at South Coast Plaza, and the one in Beverly Hills, of course. Very exclusive. Now, Tiff's is in every other mall in middle America.

Well, that's really an exaggeration. Every other mall in middle America? Please just look at a list. That's not actually true.

Did any of you know that the Harry Winston boutique in Honolulu is in a mall? Yes, a big mall.

As far as S1's being sold by Tiffany & Co, if it's true (SA's get things wrong all the time), I think it's a mistake. They'd be better off slapping a reasonable price on their VS2 RB's IMO (not that they're going to ask me).
I don't care if a store is in a mall or not.
20.gif
And I certainly did look before I said that: there are 14 T&C in CA, which is about 9 more than there ought to be (San Francisco, Palo Alto, ONE in Los Angeles instead of FIVE, Orange County, and San Diego.) And, anecdotally, many posters have mentioned a store going up local to them.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 2:55:35 AM
Date: 2/14/2009 2:24:18 AM

Author: Imdanny

honestly, though, they're way overextended. When I was a kid, the only Tiff's around was at South Coast Plaza, and the one in Beverly Hills, of course. Very exclusive. Now, Tiff's is in every other mall in middle America.

Well, that's really an exaggeration. Every other mall in middle America? Please just look at a list. That's not actually true.

As far as S1's being sold by Tiffany & Co, if it's true (SA's get things wrong all the time), I think it's a mistake. They'd be better off slapping a reasonable price on their VS2 RB's IMO (not that they're going to ask me).

I don't care if a store is in a mall or not.
20.gif
And I certainly did look before I said that: there are 14 T&C in CA, which is about 9 more than there ought to be (San Francisco, Palo Alto, ONE in Los Angeles instead of FIVE, Orange County, and San Diego.) And, anecdotally, many posters have mentioned a store going up local to them.

How do you know how many there ought to be? California is a state with 38 million people. You're rolling your eyes at me and you're the one who brought up the fact that Tiffany's are in malls?

"Which is about 9 more than there ought to be..."

??

Wow, ok.

It seems to me that people sometimes (often) let their strong feelings about Tiffany& Co get in the way making meaningful criticisms of the company. There "ought to be" as many stores as the market will bear IMO. As to the number of stores in California, do you know how many COUNTRIES have a larger economy than California? Not many. I don't see this as "overextended" unless you want to knock every other luxury brand as "overextended." The days of luxury retailers having stores in New York, London, and Paris are long gone.

"And, anecdotally, many posters have mentioned a store going up local to them."

So what? That still does not define what "overextended" means. There are twice as many people in this country as when I was born, and a whole lot more people with money.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Why, that's so silly to call it "junk" (sorry to whomever it was that called it "junk"). You might not like the designs but it's not junk. The alloy is highly controlled, it's not "mystery metal," there's quality control, but if you didn't like it, their customer service polices will take care of you, you can buy a charm for a very modest amount of money and have it engraved...

What is it about Tiffany & Co that lets people's emotions become so arbitrary?!

I would say a Tiffany piece is worth the money if it is worth it to you. Many of their pieces would be worth it to me. Many of their pieces would not be worth it to me. But what's the big deal?

We don't look knowledgeable as consumers by throwing around words like "junk."

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 10:19:26 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
It is sort of like Coach. Once upon a time, it was a prestigous brand.
This is a really strong comparison. I can really see the similarities to Coach, as far as business models, etc.

I don't think Coach is "junk" (just as I don't think Tiffany is), I think they still manufacture good (not great or excellent, acceptable or poor - just good) quality items (just as Tiffany does, though I think of their quality standards as being anywhere in the good to excellent range, depending on the piece), but they certainly have shown some confusion as to what demographic(s) they are primarily targeting. Used to only be the luxury high-end demographic, now it's a little bit across the board (which may or may not "drive away" the higher-end clientele).

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 4:44:07 PM
Author: coatimundi
ah, and now we are getting into the subjective term, ''quality.''

Many a person with an eyeclean/loupe clean SI1 might disagree with with the notion that SI1 is not ''quality.''

At Tiffany, there is something for someone in every tax bracket and varying levels of quality.

Exactly. I''m really surprised that so many PSers are seeing SI1 as a decrease in quality/prestige. Almost all of us have given advice to new diamond shoppers that clarity is not synonymous with quality. We encourage people around here to look for eye-clean SI diamonds to maximize the budget. If an eye-clean SI1 looks the same as a VVS1, why shouldn''t it be good enough for Tiffany''s?

So as for Tiff''s offering SI1s, all I have to say is "it''s about time!"

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a huge mistake.

And in the two states of NC and SC, there is only one Tiffany store. There is one in GA and one in VA. So I am not seeing them in every mall by any stretch of the imagination.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry, I called the silver junk only because it''s easily reproduced on eBay. I do own two silver pieces and love both necklaces, but still it''s not the same now that I, an average consumer, can afford to buy from there, and yes, I do feel differently about them now that the store is located next to the Gap than how I felt about the retailer when the store was glamourized in "Breakfast at Tiffany''s." Remember how wonderful and dreamy that movie was?

Just to clarify, I do think their diamond pieces ARE pretty, but still, in recent years, their image has changed. . .just the way it is. Most companies have images that change over time and in this economy, that is happening more than ever.

I DO feel that their QUALITY of most diamond pieces remains impeccable, but their general mystique is gone (sorry, I spelled mystique wrong the first time)

Goddess

Rough_Rock
Sorry to interrupt but I feel I would like to give my 2 cents:

Tiffanys image has definitely changed, some say for the better, some for the worse:

Yes say the elite old school customers whose parents/grandparents/greatgrandparents who have always frequented the
store and no other will not like it because it takes the edge off the prestige-o-meter for them.

No say the ones who can now afford to be part of the Tiff''s experience with a piece of silver jewellery at an affordable price.

Dont forget the young generation introduced to a prestigious store with affordable jewellery will one day come back
when they are older/have higher paying jobs and want that special e-ring/right hand ring etc.

A number of stores have high quality well finished designer silver jewellery for sale.

It is called moving with the times, and in the case of the SI1 clarity graded diamonds, it is moving with the economy.
Tiffany has a sophisticated network of analysts/accountants/marketing/pr departments etc who will
recommend the introduction of certain (perhaps controversial) strategies to survive in the current times, whilst providing
free online promotion as a bonus...
28.gif

IMHO

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2009 6:00:21 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Date: 2/13/2009 5:13:23 PM

Author: purrfectpear

Date: 2/13/2009 3:50:39 PM

Author: Diamond Confused

I think that''s a terrible idea. Tiffany''s is expensive partly because of quality control. I get they are trying to be more affordble but they''ve always been a store that caters to those with a bit more money and that''s how they should keep it. If Tiffayny''s is suddnely affordable for everyone, they will lose prestige.
To some of us who remember the Tiffany''s of the 70''s, that prestige flew out the window some time ago. Tiffany''s is just another very well branded jewelry store with upscale locations IMO.

Yup, was going to agree. I am starting to think of tiff''s as a mall jewelery store...just in better malls.

I agree.

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
wow, the comments re: the "decreasing of quality to SI1" are genuinely surprising! so many people here, including myself, have SI1. mine''s totally eyeclean and of excellent quality. i think it''s about time tiffany brroadened their horizons a bit. give the consumers more choices. i''m sure they''ll remain overpriced but, hey, tiffany''s is tiffany''s.

i see this change less as a dropping of their standards and more as MORE OPTIONS for the consumer.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''s a matter of survival - they have a huge amount of debt. Warren Buffet helped them out just recently by buying up some of their debt.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
It’s true.
It's official.
Tiffany now sells SI1 diamonds.

I just went to tiffany.com.

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Default.aspx?mcat=148203

Click on 'A TIFFANY DIAMOND' in blue in the center lower part of the screen.
Then click on 'CLARITY'.
Then click on 'TIFFANY'S STRICTER STANDARDS'.

snip

“. . . Of the 11 clarity grades, Tiffany only accepts the top seven.

. . . Tiffany will only sell diamonds of SI1 or better.”

end snip

IMHO this harms the brand.
Their blue box just got a little more yellow.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, please ignore this duplicate post.
15.gif

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, please ignore this duplicate post.
I'm a dummy; I hit the reply button stead of the edit button.
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results