shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffanys: here we go again....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tweddy

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

While looking for the ultimate engagement ring for my special one, I am haunted by the thought to get the original tiffany six prong setting. Well lots of threads are subject to this topic, so I get to another point. While checking out the Tiffanys store here in Troy (Detroit) the sales lady showed me a wonderfull ring, of course with the setting I DO WANT !!!!!, anyway one thing surprised me. The stone she showed me was supposed to be an I color. There was absolutely nothing, nothing, nothing yellowish. So I asked her to show me an icy white E color stone. I could not believe my eyes, even after about 5 mins looking at both, turning, twisting, etc. I could not tell the difference in color...whaaat.
Now, since Tiffany diamonds are cut for brilliance does this explain why. Both sparkled like crazy? Checking the price it was not that much more expensive IF you neglect the color grade than an ideal cut F color diamond purchased over the net......hmmmm

TW

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
First off, if you have two ideal stones, then an I will face up whiter than a non-well cut I. But that said, when stones are SET and not loose, it is very hard to see color in them up until a point...some say that is I..others may say J...some say K and others may even say G/H. But I have seen a I next to a D and they looked the same to me! (both were set in platinum). I've seen E next to G...same thing. So it doesn't surprise me that you could not see a difference in an I and a D stone...though it may surprise others. Some people say they can see the difference between D and E or D and F. Others say not. It just may be how your eye perceives color.

You have just discovered why many people on here decide to go for a G or H stone and get a larger ctw after doing their research. Somehow after you have seen stones next to each other, a D or E or even F may not look as great as you thought it may when put next to an equally excellently cut G or H stone. And there is a price difference.

Tiffany will not sell past I color I believe. So if you wanted to go for an I colored Tiffany stone and get that setting you really love...go for it! But you can also do a little research on Pscope as you mention and look for a G or H colored stone in the ctw you wanted, or even slightly larger, and it will be cheaper than the Tiffany I colored stone and if you are discriminating in your taste, will be equally well cut or even better. Bigger stone and equal in all ways, but not 'Tiffany'? Your option!!

Good luck..
1.gif

kathishopping

Rough_Rock
hi,
i also wonder if you would still think the two rings looked identical if you removed both of them from the "perfect" lighting in the store?
good luck in your search
1.gif

Yupi

Rough_Rock
View a stone (already set) under day light and from the SIDE, you will see the difference. Or compare two stones and look from the bottom of the setting, you'll see the difference.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Tweddy,
I just wanted to added my opinion here.
If you really love the Tiffany setting and an I colored diamond looks great to you and you won't go into debt buying it, I say- GO FOR IT!!!! YOu only live once.
I am sure that you have been looking for a comparable setting and haven't found one, so if this ring pulls at your heartstrings, then by all means, go for it.
Tiffany's has a 30 day return policy, so if you take it home and decide that you don't want it, or you see a yellowish tint (and it bothers you, it may not), then you can always return it.
Case in point, I bought a fake LV bag, thinking that I would be happy with it and who would know anyway? A week later, I wound up buying the real one. It just bothered me not to have the real one and the design was a bit different between the two, even though they were supposed to be the same.
I also found a ring at Tiffany's that I am going to purchase. I have looked and looked and have not found anything that comes close to it.
Just remember, don't by it for the name, buy it because you truly love the design. No one will know that you are wearing a Tiffany ring, but you, unless you tell them, of course!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I also forgot to make the point about the jewelry store lighting, especially in Tiffany. They have the EXPENSIVE lights. Hee Hee. Everything looks good. See if they will let you take the rings outside to look at them..with their big bodyguard door bouncer standing next to you of course. You may see the difference in color looking at the stone from the bottom, but I have seen set stones as I noted, from top, bottom side, etc..and if its a well cut stone and depending on the setting, you may not see too much of a difference. In any case, don't strain your eyes. Good luck!!
1.gif

BTW Kayla I am the same way with LV. I bought the one token fake Kate Spade on a trip to NYC from the street vendors, but anything else has to be real. I figure..why spend half the money on a fake when you can just save to buy the real? There is something to be said about authenticity, it really doesn't have much to do with buying to impress anyone else, but rather it is that I would like to know that I have the real thing. Doesn't work the same for me with Tiffany though..as the 6prong looks the same to me anywhere else...but with their designer rings such as the Elsa Peretti etc, I highly agree that you should get the real thing. For one-of-a-kind designs it is worth it to me to pay the real price (or see what its going for on eBay!!).

Dana

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 4/27/2003 6:22:31 PM tweddy wrote:

Hello everyone,

While looking for the ultimate engagement ring for my special one, I am haunted by the thought to get the original tiffany six prong setting. Well lots of threads are subject to this topic, so I get to another point. While checking out the Tiffanys store here in Troy (Detroit) the sales lady showed me a wonderfull ring, of course with the setting I DO WANT !!!!!, anyway one thing surprised me. The stone she showed me was supposed to be an I color. There was absolutely nothing, nothing, nothing yellowish. So I asked her to show me an icy white E color stone. I could not believe my eyes, even after about 5 mins looking at both, turning, twisting, etc. I could not tell the difference in color...whaaat.
Now, since Tiffany diamonds are cut for brilliance does this explain why. Both sparkled like crazy? Checking the price it was not that much more expensive IF you neglect the color grade than an ideal cut F color diamond purchased over the net......hmmmm

TW
----------------
A couple of months ago , I compared an ideal cut D color round with and ideal cut H color round in a local bricks and mortar store. Both stones were slightly over 1 Ct. To my eyes I could see no absolutely no difference at all. I looked at both stones side by side under diamond lights , in the owners office and outside ( it was cloudy that day , typical Michigan winter day ) I'm sure that someone who does this for a living could see the difference but I could not......
-Dana

ibchick

Rough_Rock
Okay here's the thing go to www.betterthandiamond.com and you will be amazed, I was looking online for engagement rings and I was on google search and it can to this site, I bought my fiance a six prong white gold (you can get platinum if you want) Asha simulant and let me tell you it was E color VS1 color excellent cut, it looks better than a real diamond, everyone is freaking out about her ring, they think that it is a real thing, you can get all kinds of cuts for the diamond, princess, round, emerald, etc...you will seriously not believe your eyes when you see your ring, its worth every penny you spend...and by the way her 1.5 carat ring 6 prong white gold tiffany cathedral was $750.00...no joke if I were to get her the real one it would range with that color and cut to be $12,000.00!! check out that site!!!

serious_shopper

Rough_Rock
I was in your situation, Tweddy. But heed what the others have been saying. The name is nice, but once you take a closer look, you'll realize that the markup is ridiculous and it's not all that.
First off, the lighting is totally key. As them to let you bring it out in the sunlight or into a darker room. You'll be able to see the difference between an I and an E or whatever it was, no problem. I agree - you have to look at it upside down and from the side.
Second, the markup is about 40-50%. Don't waste your money. You can get a better stone at goodoldgold.com.
Third, the setting can be custom made to whatever you want it to be. Use a cheap 10X loupe in the store - look at their craftsmanship real closely. I went in there and saw sloppy soldering, misaligned prongs, etc...
All this for an average stone (many are not Hearts and Arrow) and have decent but not outstanding light return. The settings are inconsistent, and price is ridiculous especially when considering all of this.
Make your own way - you will not regret it.

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
----------------
I also found a ring at Tiffany's that I am going to purchase. I have looked and looked and have not found anything that comes close to it.
Just remember, don't by it for the name, buy it because you truly love the design. No one will know that you are wearing a Tiffany ring, but you, unless you tell them, of course!
----------------

Hi Tweddy!
I am in the minority, but I agree with Kayla 17 here.
I, too, am about to purchase a Tiffany ring (this Friday!), and that is after 6 weeks of the Pricescope Education!
I truly love the Tiffany designs, and I like the idea of having the original. I am also nostalgic and sentimental, so it appeals to me that there was "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and Tiffany parties at the White House attended by Jackie Kennedy, and everything else you get with over 150 years of history. *That* sort of sentimental value, to *me*, matters more than getting a bigger or technically better stone - especially with such sentimental an occasion as my engagement!
3.gif

But EVERYBODY has their own reasons for buying, whether they are judged irrational or not. Conventional wisdom is that Tiffany diamonds are not the technical best, and they are overpriced, ergo do not buy from them if 1) you are only looking for technical performers and 2) if you are looking for a good deal. Tiffany's has other unique qualities though, depending on what is most important to *you*.

I wish you the best, and feel comfortable with whatever decision you make!

Love Street

jlim

Shiny_Rock
Tweedy - I'm in the suburbs of Detroit too. So, looks like we might run into each other at Tiffany's. Do you mind sharing the ct. you are looking for at Tiffany's? You mentioned the I color. Could you give me say the 3c of the one you were looking at and roughly how much it cost? Just wanna have an idea before I step into the store. Thanks.

tweddy

Rough_Rock
Of course,

i was looking at a couple of bling bling rings in THE original tiffany setting. two stones i was comparing closer, but got too excited, so i hope i can remember correctly:

1. Ring: 1.33 ct, I, VS2 or better i believe, big rock, round cut $13,000
2. Ring: 0.85 ct, F, VS2, sweet, $9995 or so,

I DO LOVE the 1.33 in this setting but 13,000, MAAAAAN

TW

serious_shopper

Rough_Rock
Hi Tweddy,

I compared the stuff they had a Tiffany and the stone I got through the internet. Do the comparisons side by side. Better stone, better cut, better light return, and much less money. I did multiple comparisons side by side, no joke. Don't fall for it..... If you are interested, I can send you an email.

tweddy

Rough_Rock
i would be very much interested in a side by side comparison, could you please post it here, so everybody can gain some insight, and thx bunches in advance.

tw

jlim

Shiny_Rock
----------------
1. Ring: 1.33 ct, I, VS2 or better i believe, big rock, round cut $13,000
2. Ring: 0.85 ct, F, VS2, sweet, $9995 or so,

----------------

tweedy - err.. do they even have a 0.5-0.6ct stone in the store. Well, we only have 1 Tiffany in MI. So, it is not like I can drive to another store.

Will I look foolish to ask to see a 0.5ct? It's like going to a LV store and asking to see a $300 handbag.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
They do have smaller stones...at least for earrings anyway
2.gif
My guy priced out a pair of 1ctw at Tiff and they were $4000 for H/VS I think. We got them at our B&M jeweler for $2400...G/VS. Hee.

Anyway yes they have smaller stones.

BTW, LV does carry $300 handbags too.
9.gif

tweddy

Rough_Rock
ok i will most definitely think about the diamonds, however this does not solve my main problem: the setting. THE SETTING!!!! i was looking around and i cant help it, but i do not like the six prong copies of the original one. I know i am anal about that but... I have been looking around for quite some time....nope, nothing comes even close. I do have the chance to go to a local jeweler who said he will do everything i want, but i somehow doubt it, that he could imitate the real thing just from looking at some pictures. ANY IDEAS? well, or my fiance to be has to wait until... ;-)

TW

jlim

Shiny_Rock
tweedy - I would appreciate it if you could share your Tiffany experience as you go on as I would be heading to the same store as well.

Mara - When I was at the only place I know that sells LV bags (LV store
9.gif
), coincidently in the same mall as the only Tiffany store tweedy went to, I did not see any $300 LV handbag. I do see some purses and some small sache (sp??) for $300. Handbags were around $550 onwards.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry as a girl I had always thought purses WERE handbags. Silly me.

LV carries small shoulder bags for around $180+. If when you say handbags you mean big clunky things...yeah those are more pricey...must be more vinyl?

jlim

Shiny_Rock
Tweedy - for the heck of it, I look under whiteflash.com for a similar stone. Not for me. Too expensive for my blood.

http://whiteflash.com/acut/stepsrch.asp?search_type=property&shape=1&CaratFrom=1.3&CaratTo=1.5&DiamondColorFrom=4&DiamondColorTo=6&ClarityFrom=4&CLarityTo=5&submit1=search&PriceFrom=0&PriceTo=999999&Page=1

Whiteflash:
1.5ct H VS1 $12,285 w/o setting.
Say a Vatche setting for $950. So, it'll be $13,235.

Your Tiffany:
1.33ct I VS2 $13,000.

So, I see for the same price, you are getting .17ct less and a grade lower in color and clarity. Not quite half the ct. nor color and clarity like Tiffany "bashers".

tweddy

Rough_Rock
thats what i am saying the mark up is not that drastic sometimes, and u get THE REAL ONE (setting). I still dont know.

tw

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
We just bought a H & A 1.34 G VVS2 for $10,500
I understand that your looking for that setting, but wow, how overpriced that ring is! If you love it and have the money then go for it. But I'd consider all my options first. Two examples of what you could get for your money instead:

Better color and bigger size:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_44ct_f_vs2__h&a.htm

Much bigger:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_77ct_i_vs2__h&a.htm

Good Luck!

tweddy

Rough_Rock
thats right, the question remains, where else would i get this setting, trying to imitate it would be about 1000 bucks easily at a good jeweler, but not kowing in advance how its gonna turn out. so you do not only compare loose stones but rings, and the tiffany price is including the setting. that still doesnt make it a bargain by all means but....its about the setting.

tw

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
tweddy if you want to purchase for the setting...in this case, your pricing wouldn't be that much different between WF or Tiffany. So why not just go for the I VS if you couldn't see the color? If it REALLY is about the setting and it means that much to you..then just do it.
2.gif
Just get the crown and pav angles first...hee.

Jlim..no one is bashing Tiffanys...in fact I would love to take lessons from them on branding...maybe that's because I'm in marketing and I have to admire what they have done with the blue box and the name
9.gif
. However, I think many people buy there for the wrong reasons. If you just want the setting, that's fine..go for it. The setting is one thing, yes that's an original you can't get elsewhere. But if you are talking 'great Tiffany quality' in the stone itself as people so often falsely mention, please don't be deluded. The setting is one thing, but the stone is a different story.

Personally I think you got so many responses to your original post because you seemed to keep asking the same question over and over, looking for some way to change people's minds to agree with you? You're talking to many people who just bought their own stones either on or offline for engagement or anniversary, and I bet only about 1 out of 100 maybe bought from Tiffany. Of course WE think there are better things out there--we live/d this daily. Take it with a grain of salt and just have fun buying your ring.

2.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
Mara,
No one has to convince me that I can get a better deal elsewhere. I would shop anywhere but Tiffany's. I'm not trying to change the views of anyone of you. But it seems almost everyone is telling me that my 0.5ct is too small.
I think trichrome said it best in this quote.

Americans are known for their desperate attraction for material stuff.
(yes, i love to generalize... it put some spice in my answer and
gets your attention... I'm of italian origin..so that's why)

For example, 1.5ct+ stones are pretty rare in Europe.

It's not because you're rich that you have to spend 50000$ on a e-ring.
This is pure stupidity for me and it reflects the sadness of our
society. I'd like to remember people reading these lines that
an e-ring has to be beautiful by itself no matter what is the size
of the diamond... some ring designs look gorgeous with 1ct stone
while others doesn't need more than a 3/4ct to look beautiful.
When you're buying a ring, it must look good on your fiance finger...

It is not just what she wants. It is also what I want. So, it will be a compromise bet. my needs and hers. Not just she wants a bigger st. and I want to spend as little as possible. No. I want good quality diamond and I want to make sure I make an informed decision because I cannot read her mind. I want this to be a surprise. Rather than getting her a 0.33 (small) or 0.75 (big IMO), I decided on around 0.5ct. I've talked to my other Asian friends and we share the same feeling. Maybe because we are of the same built and same cultural background, we feel that something has to look good and of good quality w/o being cheesy. When I walk down the street and see a woman with a big diamond ring (mind you, it could very well be 1.5ct only, a size most of you would say it is medium size), the first thing that come to my mind is "Is that diamond real?". "If it is real, how good of a quality it is?".

I've mentioned that my friend who was in one of the Tiffany store, the salesman told him that his observations are given a constrain budget, the American buyer will always opt for a larger stone sacrificing quality and the Japanese buyer will always opt for the smaller stone of superior quality. The Chinese buyer (I suspect HK buyers) will often buy 0.88ct coz' of the significance of the number 8. To me, to opt for a larger diamond and sacrificing quality is being superficial. Deep down you know it is not the best quality diamond you could have bought but you choose to ignore that and get something that is larger and more noticeable. I thought an e-ring is suppose to be bet. your bf and you and my gf and I.

Anyway, there's another reason also to shop at a store like Tiffany's. Every Tiffany's you go to in this world is the same. I haven't been to all of them nor spend a considerable amount of time in one but I believe it is a good assumption. 10, 20 or 30 years down the road, when we happen to be walking down the street and we see a Tiffany, it believe it will bring back all the memories we had and I can even tell her what I went through getting the e-ring for her 30 years ago. I know my gf. is very sentimental. Even if I get her a 0.5ct ring and 10 years from now we are *rich*, I know she'll never upgrade the ring and get a bigger diamond. We'll buy a bigger diamond, sure but I can confidently say that it'll never be on her ring finger.

With my contrained budget, I'm torn on my personal values (getting the best diamond) or be part of "history" so to speak. However, since coming to this forum, another twist has been thrown in. I get people telling me that I should get a larger diamond and sacrifice quality (albeit quality that can't be seen through the naked eye).

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
jlim,

I agree completely with your last post.
And one of the thing which seems pretty common in the US is the
"upgrading" of an e-ring.... I know that my gf will NEVER want
to upgrade her e-ring because of all the emotions related to it...
and she knows that our relationship is NOT at all related
to the size of her diamond!!! BOTTOM LINE.

How could you, if you were a woman, even THINK about UPGRADING
your ring????? This is another reason why divorce rate is 60% after 6 years...
People are putting their energy in stupid things !!!

Trichrome.

giftgoddess

Rough_Rock
hi-
i see now that we both have similar posts. the problem i am having, is that i can not get the size i want from tiffanys, for the price i can afford. but i can not find the setting i love from tiffanys, anywhere else. i do not want to compromise size, and i do not want to compromise the setting. so i have no idea what to do. HELP!! i agree- the tiffany setting is stunning. it is one of a kind, and it is absolutely worth the money in my opinion- but i just can't afford to get a 2.5 carat from tiffanys- and that is the size i am set on. HELP!!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/2/2003 8:11:47 AM trichrome wrote:

jlim,

I agree completely with your last post.
And one of the thing which seems pretty common in the US is the
"upgrading" of an e-ring.... I know that my gf will NEVER want
to upgrade her e-ring because of all the emotions related to it...
and she knows that our relationship is NOT at all related
to the size of her diamond!!! BOTTOM LINE.

How could you, if you were a woman, even THINK about UPGRADING
your ring????? This is another reason why divorce rate is 60% after 6 years...
People are putting their energy in stupid things !!!

Trichrome.
----------------

You didn't ask for advice.....but....

Never say Never. I have been faithfully married for 20 years. One thing *is* constant - & that is change and/or flexibility to it - be it whatever aspect of your life. Except for certain values & vows, "Never" is not in our vocabulary. I am on my third stone. I love each & every one of them. Each ring signifies an important milestone in our lives. I am very fortunate to have a partner who recognizes what may be important to *me*. For pete's sake, an e-ring is NOT a wedding ring.

I am also curious as to why you are refering to your "to be" as your girlfriend. I could read all the wrong messages in that as you have done w/ your view of diamonds & marriage. There are quite a few anniversary rings on Rockytalk. I see 10, 20, 30 & even 50th anniversay celebrators on this forum. Each choosing to celebrate the occassion w/ a larger e-ring. We must be doing something right.

serious_shopper

Rough_Rock
By side by side, I meant taking stones into Tiffany's with Idealscopes, loupes etc... and looking at those stones side by side with the ones at Tiffany's in varying light conditions. I can't share pictures with you - it's something you can only appreciate live. There were 2 salespeople I worked with at Tiffany's. One was honest and appreciated the quality of the stones I brought in. One was less so, basically not willing to acknowledge that there could be stones out there superior to those offered by Tiffany's even though the difference in terms of fire and brilliance were obvious to a relative novice such as myself.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 5/1/2003; jlim wrote:
Tweedy - for the heck of it, I look under whiteflash.com for a similar stone. Not for me. Too expensive for my blood.

Whiteflash:1.5ct H VS1 $12,285 w/o setting.
Say a Vatche setting for $950. So, it'll be $13,235.

Your Tiffany:1.33ct I VS2 $13,000.

So, I see for the same price, you are getting .17ct less and a grade lower in color and clarity. Not quite half the ct. nor color and clarity like Tiffany "bashers".

On 5/1/2003 8:24:36 PM tweddy wrote:
thats what i am saying the mark up is not that drastic sometimes, and u get THE REAL ONE (setting). I still dont know.

tw----------------
Let's clarify a bit, shall we?

The Whiteflash stone is a SUPER ideal cut....and that is documented with an AGS cert (one of the most accurate and well respected labs in the diamond industry) and a Sarin report which gives all the measurements necessary to support that it is among the most exceptionally cut of diamonds. The documentation provides critical crown/pavilion angles. On the HCA, this diamond scores a 1.3......and rates ex/ex/ex/vg.

How in the world do either of you know that the Tiffany diamond compares to this diamond in make? Just because the carat weight, color, clarity and price and similar does NOT make them equivalent quality diamonds. The most important factor in a diamond is CUT, CUT, and CUT. And for those who may have missed it.....CUT.

The cert that you'll get from Tiffany will likely be from the GIA (also one of the most respected labs in the world, but they neglect to provide key crown/pav angles and measurements on their certs. Why don't you call the GIA and get the crown/pav angles and then compare these diamonds head on. I bet you'd see a HUGE difference. You cannot say that these two diamonds are remotely comparable in quality until you can verify the cut of the Tiffany diamond.

If the diamonds are this close in price, believe me, there is a reason! And given all these factors, I'd bet $20 that the cut of the Tiff diamond is inferior to the cut of the Whiteflash diamond. I'd lay down money that the diamond leaks light and is of only average cut.

But don't let me dissuade you....you've both decided that Tiffany is the epitome of quality, and you're just not going to accept hearing anything that contradicts that. You're entitled to think what you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results