shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany''s Evaluation?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
99.99% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between your supposedly better quality diamond and a tiffany diamond. Tiffany has hit the threshold of quality where you can't tell with the naked eye. It's like arguing that you need a vvs1 over a vvs2. Please... Like anyone could tell. But say it's from tiffany and you wow people. The jealousy sets in. Tiffany is the standard bearer for diamond engagement rings and every little girl wants one and everyone knows it.----------------

Yes, little girls may need a Tiffany ring to infuse them with pleasure, but REAL WOMEN have more exciting elements in their life to grant them satisfaction
11.gif

If 99.99 % of the general public, as you claim, can't tell the difference between a Tiffany and the "supposedly better cut" diamond, why the h*ll pay for the tiffany name anyway? Could someone actually be so insecure that they'd have to pay more just to brag that it's a Tiffany? Ah, lol, I guess so. Get some therapy.

Michelle

wayne_227

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 2/6/2004 8:15:50 PM Robyn12 wrote:

Where are you conducting these 1,000 person polls? Your perception of Tiffany is quite unusual. I think most people agree that Tiffany is actually very middle america -- that's why a lot of people here don't buy it. A lot of people simply consider it lame. The Tiffany name is not really a status symbol anymore (if it ever was), unless you are a high-schooler, or as naive as one. It is a mall jeweler, at its heart. I would be embarrassed to say my ring was from Tiffany, because in my personal opinion, the name implies a certain level of contrived cheesiness.

Most engaged women have men they can brag about at reunions, so there is no need to brag about where their ring was purchased. Truly classy people do not brag about where their ring was purchased anyway, and try as hard as you may, you will never be able to buy class (not even from Tiffany). If you and your girl really want to try to prove something to people with labels, try classing up a little and get a ring from cartier or harry winston or fred leighton. Those names carry status, and are respected among the people who you so desperately want to be like. Tiffany rings can be pretty, sure, but I don't think they are considered as classy and exclusive as you seem to think they are. But then, I guess that depends on who your friends are. Maybe your friends will buy into it and finally have some respect for you. In fact, I'll bet they will!

Good luck to you!----------------

OK, you first... Tiffany, middle america... LOL We have two tiffany stores here in LA - one on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, and one in Century City (lawyerland) - two of the most affluent neighborhoods in California, the US, and the world for that matter. Middle america... I know you're just trying to push buttons, but the secret to doing so is to be at least a LITTLE credible.

I never said you had to brag about having a tiffany ring. That's the point. You don't have to brag. duh... If you are asked, you respond and the amazement begins. Nobody said anything about bragging. But obviously you think having a tiffany ring is worthy of bragging.

The average person does not think of Cartier when they think of diamond engagement rings. So I don't know what you're talking about. Harry Winston, sure... But you would make the same argument about them as you do about tiffany, so I don't get your point. Fred Leighton...? Never heard of it. I've heard of Fred on Rodeo. Let's do your little survey again and ask people about tiffany and your fred leighton. Tiffany gets the nod hands down because they've never heard of your place. Where the hell are you from? Obviously you're very sheltered...

Most engaged women have men that they can brag about...? Most...? I don't know what you're smoking, but I'd stay away from it. You're either dillusional, or you don't get out much.

Wow, you really need to work on your arguments... Highschoolers like tiffany? They can't afford tiffany. Next time try to not to be so blatently obvious with your naivite... k?

wayne_227

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 2/6/2004 8:17:53 PM Cut Nut wrote:

----------------
On 2/6/2004 8:02:45 PM wayne_227 wrote:

Next...----------------

Next:
How do you feel about the margin?

In the fourth quarter and full year 2002, gross margins (gross profit as a percentage of net sales) were 59.7% and 59.3%, compared with 60.9% and 58.7% in the prior year.

That means that if they sell $10,000 of product their cost of purchasing the goods is about $4,000.
They have costs of doing business of about $5,000 for every 10k and so the share holders earn about $1,000 for every 10k you spend.

this information is all available on the Tiffany website
http://www.shareholder.com/tiffany/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=102625
----------------

Um, you might want to include a point with your next post...

So their margins are a bit higher than the average mall jeweler. Big deal. That's what you get with a high-end product. They command a greater margin, but have less volume. Commodities, like Eightstar, probably have greater volume, but lower margins. It's the same with any product category whether it be cars or planes or whatever.

???

wayne_227

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 2/6/2004 8:21:42 PM MichelleCarmen wrote:

Yes, little girls may need a Tiffany ring to infuse them with pleasure, but REAL WOMEN have more exciting elements in their life to grant them satisfaction
11.gif

If 99.99 % of the general public, as you claim, can't tell the difference between a Tiffany and the 'supposedly better cut' diamond, why the h*ll pay for the tiffany name anyway? Could someone actually be so insecure that they'd have to pay more just to brag that it's a Tiffany? Ah, lol, I guess so. Get some therapy.

Michelle----------------

Ok, you next... REAL WOMEN = poor women, but nice try.

You aren't too bright, are you? That's exactly the point I was making. I was dispelling the claim that one could buy a better quality diamond than at tiffany. People can't tell the difference after a certain level of quality, so that argument is out the window. You pay for the tiffany name for status. duh... Any purchase of a diamond engagement ring over .2 ct is about status. Again, duh... Why do you think that people spend so much time in here investigating ways to get the biggest diamond for the cheapest price (and supposedly best quality) that they can? They want to show it off to people. Of course it's insecurity. This whole thread is about insecurity. Get over yourself.

In fact, I'll use your same sentence just to make it crystal clear for you (because I think you're a little slow, but that's ok):

"Could someone actually be so insecure that they'd have to pay more just to brag that it's [over .2 cts]?"

Kay

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/6/2004 7:43:50 PM wayne_227 wrote:

----------------
On 2/6/2004 7:07:07 PM Kay wrote:

I care a lot about better cut and light return. If I were willing to pay a 30-40% mark-up for a non-internet brand name, I would choose Eightstar over Tiffany's hands-down because I can see the superior light return and incredible flashes of color with my eyes. That said, as much as I lust after 8*s, I have more practical things to spend money on, so if I ever decide to buy a round diamond, I would buy a super ideal like an ACA online and use the price savings to have a very talented craftsman like Mark Morrell create a very fluid platinum design to hold the gem.

I am not a Tiffany's hater. If you and your girlfriend enjoy what you buy there and feel the premium is worth it --good for you. We looked at e-rings at Tiffany's, but quite frankly their settings did little for me and I was not willing to pay the premium for their stones since I knew I could get a better cut for less money elsewhere.----------------

Eightstar??? Brand name? Where are you from? I've never even heard of Eightstar. Tell ya what, if you want to come back and argue that it's brand name, then answer me this... If we went out and conducted a poll of 1,000 people off the street, how many do you think would have heard of Eightstar and how many would have heard of Tiffany? Eightstar...

I went to the jewelry district in LA last weekend and looked at stones from a supposed highly-reputable place with recommendations from numerous sources. I then went to Tiffany. The Tiffany diamond was so much more brilliant than the others I had seen, it was rediculous. I can't even imagine a more brilliant stone, nor would I want to.

...and you lost all credibility when stating that you have more 'practical' things to spend money on. The purchase of a diamond engagement ring isn't practical. In fact, I would argue that the purchase of any piece of expensive jewelry isn't practical. It's all about the bling bling for the little lady and showing that you have good taste and lots of money.

Now, regarding the setting, that's probably the most reasonable thing I've seen anyone in here write. I wholeheartedly agree... If you don't like the setting, then it's a non-issue. Go elsewhere. I personally love it and so does my g/f.

That said, let's get back on topic (tiffany hater)... Consider the following scenario. Two girls are at their highschool reunion. One has a 1ct tiffany engagement ring, and the other an eightstar 1ct ring. The old girlfriends gather around the two... 'Oh my god, your ring is so nice, where did you get it'. Girl 1: 'tiffany'. Reply: 'ooooo, aaaaaaahhhh, wow'. Back of their minds: 'this girl found herself a rich generous man'. Girl 2: 'we got this from eightstar. it's just as good as tiffany, in fact it's better and much cheaper' Answer: 'oh interesting'. Back of mind: 'LOL, poor girl married a cheap poor bastaard'.

Face it ladies, YOU ALL WANT TIFFANY!!!!----------------

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you have never heard of Eightstar. You are right, everyone has heard of Tiffany's. People who actually know about diamonds have heard of Eightstar because they are one of the most respected cutters of diamonds in the business. And I did not say an Eightstar diamond would be cheaper than a Tiffany's diamond, just better cut with more fire and brilliance (people can see that without having to ask the brand name -- no name dropping required).

You lost all credibility when you used "bling bling" and "good taste" in the same sentence.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Aw, c'mon Robyn.......don't tell me it's really worth your time to argue with this. It's a waste of time.

Leave him to worship on his Tiffany altar, and the rest of us can go to the bank. hehehee

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 2/6/2004 8:58:55 PM wayne_227 wrote:

----------------

----------------

Of course it's insecurity. This whole thread is about insecurity. Get over yourself.

'----------------

That's the most insightful thing you've said so far.

(I think he's going to have to think about that one a little bit. Yikes! Did I actually take the bait?)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
You aren't too bright, are you? That's exactly the point I was making. I was dispelling the claim that one could buy a better quality diamond than at tiffany. People can't tell the difference after a certain level of quality, so that argument is out the window. You pay for the tiffany name for status. duh... Any purchase of a diamond engagement ring over .2 ct is about status. Again, duh... Why do you think that people spend so much time in here investigating ways to get the biggest diamond for the cheapest price (and supposedly best quality) that they can? They want to show it off to people. Of course it's insecurity. This whole thread is about insecurity. Get over yourself.

In fact, I'll use your same sentence just to make it crystal clear for you (because I think you're a little slow, but that's ok):

'Could someone actually be so insecure that they'd have to pay more just to brag that it's [over .2 cts]?'----------------

hahaha! I guess I am stupid. Ah, what was I thinking? Now I get your point. You and your GF are the insure ones and this is why you're supporting both the status of Tiffany AND the need to love the Tiffany eng. ring.

You're ones who need the Tiffany ring to elevate themselves beyond tedious boredom. lol

Buy the ring then. I'm sure at your HS reunion everyone will be do dazzled with the Tiffany ring that they'll over the fact that you're making them yawn every 15 seconds.

Michelle

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
You could call Dvatche like two others did and have them confirm that they make the Lucida setting. Dvatche confirmed it. I'd bet that Tiffany's wouldn't tell you either. They want your money. Another lady was in love with the gold leaf necklace Tiffany sold. She went vacationing in Italy and found it without the Tiffany stamp. That manufacturer made the necklace and sold it to Tiffany's to get the laser engraving put on and put in Tiffany's displays. She got it for 40 or 50% off.

I've had 2 Tiffany classic engagement-style rings. I returned them both. Over five-six months, they attempted to fix it after ruining the hallmark. The New York branch tried fixing it four or five times, tried replacing it, sending me gifts, but it never came out right. The first time they "fixed" the hallmark (second time in fixing the ring), some employee gouged the Tiffany name himself into the ring. I took it to the manager and the employee had a stern talking to. They tried replacing the ring with a bigger stone, but it didn't have the same sparkle-- plus, the prongs were crooked. They were going to remake the original ring, in my size. The prongs looked worse. The only explanation that I got from the managers, for all their boo-boos was that 'this is not the way Tiffany normally handles things' and 'Tiffany's has the highest standards of excellence'. No real explanation of why they ruined my ring--except that it shouldn't have happened and they're very, very sorry. That's exactly what they said. After they attempted a routine sizing, it never looked the same. They had four chances and unlimited time to fix my ring (they were also usually late with their estimates of when it would be finished). If they can't show me they can handle a routine sizing in a period of six months and if they can't show me they have any justification for what they did, they are not touching my engagement ring! I don't think anyone would disagree that six months is too long to resize a finished ring, that's a plain solitaire on a simple platinum band.

I have my ring now from somewhere else. The stone is more sparkly, more coloured flashes, brighter sparkle. Guess what? The setting looks *exactly* like the original from Tiffany's, before Tiffany's mangled it. The cost was probably the same, maybe a little less, maybe more, but it took two weeks to get it, not six months. Even better, it's exactly what I wanted. A Tiffany classic solitaire in my size.

They have good advertisers and good photographs. Other than that, there's nothing that unique about their standards, quality control, or anything else. Martha Stewart would not be half as popular as she is if she didn't have good ads, great pictures, and perfect lighting.

I have the pictures of the final efforts of Tiffany's, the letters I wrote to head office and local offices of Tiffany's, the Tiffany gifts, the apologies from the managers and employees, the blue boxes, and the memories of six months of travelling back and forth to customer service. I've got proof enough that they are not worth my money. It's their signature engagement ring that took half a year to size right for goodness sakes!

If Tiffany's has set the standards for all other engagement rings, may God help us all.....

Oh, and apologies to Lawgem for mentioning the "T"-word today.
twirl.gif
The devil made me do it!
1.gif

----------------
On 2/6/2004 6:12:52 PM wayne_227 wrote:

Ok, 'facts' aren't facts just because you say they are. Facts are things that are backed up with hard data. Where is the PROOF that tiffanys does not design or manufacture their own ring? I guarantee that if I call tiffanys right now, they will NOT confirm that statement as fact.

Here's the bottom line for me... I asked my girlfriend if, cost aside, I were to present her with a 1 ct tiffanys engagement ring and a 1 ct high quality engagement ring from somewhere else, which one would she choose? Tiffanys, duh... OK. The I asked, what if, nevermind cost, I were to give you the choice of a .7 ct tiffanys engagement ring and a 1 ct high quality engagement ring from another reputable source? Again, tiffanys... duh!

I feel very confident in generalizing this to the general public. 999 times out of 1,000, I guarantee that given the choice, a woman would choose a tiffanys ring over a non-tiffanys ring. Who cares about supposed better cut, brilliance, quality, etc...? I don't understand people that claim to be making an investment. You're not going to sell the thing later. So what kind of investment is it? It's a status symbol, pure and simple. Why else do they come in different sizes? Why does someone need a 1.5ct diamond over a .8ct? Status... Tiffanys has set the standard for all other engagement rings.----------------

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/6/2004 7:02:07 PM Robyn12 wrote:

Lunatic, party of one, your table is ready.----------------

Too funny - what else can anyone say.
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Pulp, don't waste your breath. The guy doesn't want to hear it. I guess he also doesn't want to hear that Lazaar Kaplan cuts Tiffany's stones. He also doesn't want to hear that LK stones can be purchased at *many* jewelery stores for significantly less. Same stones.

Before you start having an argument with yourself - why don't *YOU* do some research. BTW, there are many people that *can* afford the Tiffany markup but *chose* not to.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results