shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany vs Blue Nile

Which would you rather have?

• 2. Blue Nile round "ideal" 1.76 carat G VS1 with any setting of your choice (priced ~$2500-$3500)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Danny415

Rough_Rock
I''m trying to decide which of two rings to get for my girlfriend and would like to know what the general opinion is out there regarding a brand name like Tiffany. I''m paying a huge markup for Tiffany, but I can still get a pretty nice diamond. On the other hand, if I go Blue Nile I can get a larger center diamond and more expensive setting, but I''m giving up the name value.

Which would you rather have?
1. Tiffany setting round solitaire with a 1.42 carat G VS1
2. Blue Nile round "ideal" 1.76 carat G VS1 with any setting of your choice (priced ~$2500-$3500)

Both are roughly the same price for me, give or take. All input is appreciated. Thanks!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t voted yet because I was curious, so how much does she want a Tiffany ring? If she''s really into Tiffany and definitely wants a Tiff ring, I would say the size difference isn''t all that much so you should get her the Tiff ring. If she doesn''t really care, then go with the bigger Blue Nile ring.
1.gif
Sorry I wasn''t that helpful!

Danny415

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response! Go ahead and vote as if you were the one getting the ring. I''m curious how many of you folks would opt for the Tiffany ring vs upgrading 0.34 carats in size and upgrading the setting, but losing the name brand. The bottom line is how much is the Tiffany name brand worth to you? I guess I''m just trying to get a feel of how much everyone out there feels toward Tiffany rings.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I would rather the larger diamond then the tiff''s one but I am not all that into tiffany''s however I am not your GF so her opinion might be different.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it should be readily apparent with your GF whether the name is important to her, no? Usually women are pretty crystal clear about it if it is important to them.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2009 3:49:21 AM
Author: neatfreak
I think it should be readily apparent with your GF whether the name is important to her, no? Usually women are pretty crystal clear about it if it is important to them.
Ditto. I would personally rather have a larger well cut diamond from an online vendor.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ah I see. In that case, I voted the Blue Nile - Tiffany has gorgeous rings, but I''m too picky now after all this time on PS - I would prefer the BN because of size, and because of the cut. And the flexibility on the setting.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I am not into Tiffanys, however in this case since the size is not a ridiculously huge difference, the allure of the blue box kind of did it for me, but you know your gf best and if the blue box will excite or or having a bigger ring will excite should be the deciding factor

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
i voted for the bigger blue nile diamond option.. but i also have the following to add..

for me i bought my gf a D-IF rock even though for the same price i could have gotten a bigger stone that still looks white and is still eye clean...

the reason why i still went ahead and paid the premium for the D-IF is because according to her, there are practically no D-IF stones around where she''s located, so by paying the premium i am able to make it a little more special for her...

if there is a somewhat similar effect with getting a tiffany stone in your case, then i would incline towards the tiffany''s with my vote instead..

hope this is of reference value...
21.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I would get the Blue Nile stone!
36.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 3:17:06 AM
Author: Danny415
Thanks for the response! Go ahead and vote as if you were the one getting the ring. I''m curious how many of you folks would opt for the Tiffany ring vs upgrading 0.34 carats in size and upgrading the setting, but losing the name brand. The bottom line is how much is the Tiffany name brand worth to you? I guess I''m just trying to get a feel of how much everyone out there feels toward Tiffany rings.

Personally the Tiffany name doesn''t mean anything to me. Not like I would go around town saying OH my RING IS FROM TIFFANY''s! Once the ring is on the finger, only you (as the one wearing it) knows the stats and where it was purchased. That''s why I didn''t care if the ring was IF..as long as it was Eye clean..I was fine! GL

abcdefg

Rough_Rock
Trade
As long as she likes the classic Tiffany setting, I'd go with the Tiffany ring. If diamonds of that size were in my budget, I'd probably go ahead and get the blue box, since even though the diamond is a bit smaller, it's big enough.

Two considerations:

a) I wouldn't be that enticed by Blue Nile because I wasn't crazy about their settings... if I was, I might change my mind based on that, especially since I'd get a bigger diamond to boot.

b) For the size of diamond I got (3/4ct), the premium I'd have paid for Tiffany's would have been much more significant, putting it out of budget. At already under 1ct, I wouldn't sacrifice even more size for a name. At 1ct+, I would personally give the name more weight, especially if the price is the same.

Danny415

Rough_Rock
Thanks everybody for all of the responses to my poll. Abcdefg, I agree 100% with what you just wrote. I originally wanted to see everybody''s personal opinions, but since there are so many comments about my girlfriend''s preferences... well, she just doesn''t know. If two diamond rings were equal, then of course she''d pick the Tiffany. She just doesn''t know if it''s worth the large markup. We looked at dozens and dozens of rings online and in brick+mortar stores, coming down to the final decision of being on the fence. Well, she''s 50/50 and wants to leave it all up to me to surprise her.

I''m leaning toward the Tiffany and here are some considerations why:
1. Will she still like this ring 50 years from now? We don''t plan on ever upgrading and I don''t want anything "trendy" that might go out of style. I feel the classic Tiffany is less likely to go out of style here.

2. This is the one and only chance in her entire life that she''ll ever get a Tiffany engagement ring. I don''t want either of us to ever look back and regret anything. We''re more likely to look back and regret missing out on a Tiffany than to look back and regret paying too much for it.

3. Several thousand dollars is a huge deal right now, but when you''re thinking in terms of a lifetime... several thousand doesn''t seem quite as large. Anyway, I wouldn''t really be saving those thousands of dollars as I''d just be pumping it into a larger Blue Nile diamond.

4. While diamond ring shopping, the first thing I looked at wasn''t cut, carat, color, clarity, or cost. I was looking at my girlfriend''s face to see her reaction. I really think trying on a smaller Tiffany ring made her face light up more than any of the other larger rings.

Any thoughts about the poll or my rationale for leaning toward the Tiffany? I''m still not 100% on the Tiffany, but definitely leaning toward it. Thanks everyone for the great responses and for the votes!

Hello Lover

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 9:48:38 AM

I''m leaning toward the Tiffany and here are some considerations why:

1. Will she still like this ring 50 years from now? We don''t plan on ever upgrading and I don''t want anything ''trendy'' that might go out of style. I feel the classic Tiffany is less likely to go out of style here.

2. This is the one and only chance in her entire life that she''ll ever get a Tiffany engagement ring. I don''t want either of us to ever look back and regret anything. We''re more likely to look back and regret missing out on a Tiffany than to look back and regret paying too much for it.
This is the reason I vote for the Tiffany.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
She said that she''s on the fence, but I disagree. She wants the Tiffany, especially if her face lit up the way you said it did.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 10:12:01 AM
Author: Noahsmom
She said that she''s on the fence, but I disagree. She wants the Tiffany, especially if her face lit up the way you said it did.

agree... body language speaks louder than any spoken words...

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I was just about to say, it''s about what makes her happy. 1.42 carat G VS1 is stellar. If you can afford a 1.42 G VS1 from ANY reputable jeweler, I don''t think you''re going to have anything to worry about for a lifetime. I mean really, that''s pretty huge compared to what most women ever get.

It''s funny- the more I look at pricescope and other jewelry sites, the less I care about diamond size. I''m (just) looking at some VCA rings that are .3, .4, and .5 cts. I mean these are hand made by VCA employees settings in platinum. It''s not all about having a huge ring. It''s really not all about having a huge ring at any cost to clarity. That''s my opinion.

It sounds like she''d be thrilled with the Tiffany ring and only the Tiffany setting is the Tiffany setting- it''s not just a "name". I think you''ll do fine.

DiamondsforDee

Shiny_Rock
I''d go with the Blue Nile ring, but that is mostly because I do not like fancy, ornate settings, just a plain platinum solitaire for me! So I looked at your numbers and thought I could get the platinum solitaire setting and easily have an extra $1500-2500 from the setting budget to put towards an even bigger stone.
31.gif

But if your gf loves Tiffany''s then go for Tiffany''s. I would have happily accepted a 1.42 carat solitaire from Tiffany''s!

phildominator

Rough_Rock
I would say have her start a PS account, read for about a month and then have her decide! J/k.

I voted Tiffany because it sounds like the allure of the name draws her...

...she doesn''t just want a diamond, she wants the ''Tiffany culture/lifestyle'' per se.

For example, I imagine the "Tiffany advantage" being the happiness in her face everytime you two go shopping and stopping into the Tiffany store.

Or more likely, her shopping with her friends and being able to flaunt, ''friends, we must stop at the Tiffany''s...my Tiffany stone needs polishing...don''t worry, friends, I''ll vouche for you and you can come in with me!''

I imagine that sort of after-sale luxury will continue to reinvigorate her love for her ring.

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
After reading that post about you seeing her face light up while trying on the Tiffany...I vote Tiffany!

Kat

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 11:36:12 AM
Author: got2goldens
After reading that post about you seeing her face light up while trying on the Tiffany...I vote Tiffany!
Ditto! There''s your answer! It was smart of you to watch her reaction first and foremost.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for the Tiffany ring. 1.42 is plenty generous size-wise and I would appreciate the heirloom value of a Tiffany ring. If it lit up her face, once, it will do it for years to come. It is very possible to do your homework here on PS and get a fantastic cut at Tiffany''s, it just takes a little more time, but it''ll be worth it.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
While diamond ring shopping, the first thing I looked at wasn''t cut, carat, color, clarity, or cost. I was looking at my girlfriend''s face to see her reaction. I really think trying on a smaller Tiffany ring made her face light up more than any of the other larger rings.

You have your answer!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2009 11:36:12 AM
Author: got2goldens

Kat

I agree. Even if she''s not saying it, it seems like the Tiffany is what she wants.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I voted for size because the Tiffany name isnt important to me.

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock

Any thoughts about the poll or my rationale for leaning toward the Tiffany? I''m still not 100% on the Tiffany, but definitely leaning toward it. Thanks everyone for the great responses and for the votes!

I think your rationale is fine! These are all legitimate reasons to purchase from Tiffany. If her face lit up with the smaller Tiffany diamond, then that is most likely what she wants!
1.gif
Good luck with your decision!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that it really depends on what would make her happy. I have a Tiffany e-ring and have never regretted it and they''ve been great every time I''ve dealt with them.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 3:04:46 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
I haven''t voted yet because I was curious, so how much does she want a Tiffany ring? If she''s really into Tiffany and definitely wants a Tiff ring, I would say the size difference isn''t all that much so you should get her the Tiff ring. If she doesn''t really care, then go with the bigger Blue Nile ring.
1.gif
Sorry I wasn''t that helpful!
I agree. It all depends on if she likes Tiff''s or not.

Me......I''d take the Tiffany ring hands down.
30.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 10:16:27 AM
Author: blastdoor

Date: 2/23/2009 10:12:01 AM
Author: Noahsmom
She wants the Tiffany, especially if her face lit up the way you said it did.
agree... body language speaks louder than any spoken words...
Yep. Tiffany is your best bet! I wanna see pictures if you purchase
31.gif

Shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
I voted for the Tiffany's. I am a Tiffany's girl. It's true, on a usual basis, no one will really know or exclaim that you have a Tiffany's but the important thing is that you yourself know and it's what makes you happy (or in this case your GF). I don't wear it and flash that it's Tiffany's, I just like for myself to know that I can walk into any Tiffany's and get a nice little cleaning and prong checking session as many times as I want and the gifts they send us here and there don't hurt either
2.gif
Plus, they polish up the metal bands if you want as well, our wedding bands are from there and they can get so scratched up that having that added customer service is nice.

That being said, I do have another e-ring that isn't Tiffany's (wanted a four prong of which Tiffany does not carry) from a local jeweler that is very reputable and I love the ring very much. The diamond quality is the same as my Tiffany rings, so you can get a beautiful diamond at other places other than Tiffany's, you just have to weigh in about the importance of brand and service that you can get with it. I chose the local jeweler over online because again it was important to me that I can go in to have the ring cleaned and checked whenever I want.

I wish you good luck! and do share pics of whatever you choose to get
21.gif
!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results