shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Rose Gold Color Change

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Thought I'd share some pics of how Tiffany Rose Gold *may* age for those considering it.

I have a few rose gold Tiffany pendants that have changed color over the years.
For whatever reason, the RG faded into yellow gold (all purchased directly from Tiffany's so I know they're authentic).

Top pic is my newest piece, the tag pendant on the right, along with my oldest piece purchased 10 or so years ago; the mini emblem lock on the left.
You can clearly see the difference in color.

The bottom pic is of my rg key pendant on the left (4 years old) and my new tag pendant. The difference isn't as obvious, but you can still see it.

I have two other Tiffany RG pendants and they're both a various shades of pinkish yellow.

I'm sure my body chemistry plays a role in how the color fades, and I know I can get my pieces polished back to their original color. This also won't deter me from buying more RG pieces in the future.
Still, I think it's interesting and others should know what can happen.

I also have a Brian Gavin DBTY 18KT RG diamond pendant that's still new. Wondering if it's also going to yellow.

Curious, anyone else have a similar experience with their RG?

20210304_095928.jpg 20210304_103014.jpg

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
That’s interesting. Know that different firms use different alloys and vary how much copper is in the alloy. That would certainly be a factor in a reaction to individual skin chemistry.

That said I have some pieces of rose gold that are nearly 100 years old and a few to be as pink is the day they were cast. I also have a few recently, in the last few years, purchased pieces of rose gold but none of those have changed their color at all. None of those are from Tiffany’s, to be fair.

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
Interesting to see them side-by-side! This also commonly happens to Cartier RG; I don’t think I’ve ever heard a definitive explanation, but there has been a lot of speculation. including exposure to municipal water etc. since the Love bracelets are designed to be worn 24/7. In any case, @caolsen is right that it likely has something to do with the copper in the alloy. Of course, Cartier RG starts off more subtle (looks more like YG) than Tiffany RG to begin with.

In any case, I think your pendants look a lovely color...yellow with a slight blush.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
That’s interesting. Know that different firms use different alloys and vary how much copper is in the alloy. That would certainly be a factor in a reaction to individual skin chemistry.

That said I have some pieces of rose gold that are nearly 100 years old and a few to be as pink is the day they were cast. I also have a few recently, in the last few years, purchased pieces of rose gold but none of those have changed their color at all. None of those are from Tiffany’s, to be fair.

My grandmothers wedding ring is over 50 years old and still pink as well. It's 14kt though so I'm guessing more copper is what kept is rosy? Who knows.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Interesting to see them side-by-side! This also commonly happens to Cartier RG; I don’t think I’ve ever heard a definitive explanation, but there has been a lot of speculation. including exposure to municipal water etc. since the Love bracelets are designed to be worn 24/7. In any case, @caolsen is right that it likely has something to do with the copper in the alloy. Of course, Cartier RG starts off more subtle (looks more like YG) than Tiffany RG to begin with.

In any case, I think your pendants look a lovely color...yellow with a slight blush.

It didn't happen to my Cartier Trinity ring, also an older piece. The Rose gold ring stayed rosy and very much distinguishable from the yellow gold ring. Weird.

I actually like the color of the key. It's the emblem lock that bothers me. Either way, they'll eventually make their way to Tiffany's for a polish and be as good as new.

Last edited:

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
It didn't happen to my Cartier Trinity ring, also an older piece. The Rose gold ring stayed rosy and very much distinguishable from the yellow gold ring. Weird.

I actually like the color of the key. It's the emblem lock that bothers me. Either way, they'll eventually make their way to Tiffany's for a polish and be as good as new.

Yes, strangely I have heard this before too — doesn’t happen to the Trinity pieces. Perhaps because they are designed to have the contrast between the three golds? It’s weird, because if the culprits are things like saltwater and chlorine, one would think that rings would be the most vulnerable. I think people often notice with Cartier because the bracelets are often stacked, so when people return to the boutique for a 2nd, 3rd, etc. piece they find that the older RG pieces look a different colour than the new ones.

I think Everose Gold (Rolex) was designed to counteract the fading problem by adding some platinum to the RG alloy in addition to the copper.

In any case I agree that your Atlas key is enhanced by its “patina”!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thought I'd share some pics of how Tiffany Rose Gold *may* age for those considering it.

I have a few rose gold Tiffany pendants that have changed color over the years.
For whatever reason, the RG faded into yellow gold (all purchased directly from Tiffany's so I know they're authentic).

Top pic is my newest piece, the tag pendant on the right, along with my oldest piece purchased 10 or so years ago; the mini emblem lock on the left.
You can clearly see the difference in color.

The bottom pic is of my rg key pendant on the left (4 years old) and my new tag pendant. The difference isn't as obvious, but you can still see it.

I have two other Tiffany RG pendants and they're both a various shades of pinkish yellow.

I'm sure my body chemistry plays a role in how the color fades, and I know I can get my pieces polished back to their original color. This also won't deter me from buying more RG pieces in the future.
Still, I think it's interesting and others should know what can happen.

I also have a Brian Gavin DBTY 18KT RG diamond pendant that's still new. Wondering if it's also going to yellow.

Curious, anyone else have a similar experience with their RG?

20210304_095928.jpg 20210304_103014.jpg

Thanks for sharing. I'm considering a rose gold piece from Tiffany, so I found this really helpful.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe the way they mixed the material is not really for rose gold but yellow gold masked with rose tint? In the States, the way White Gold is mixed is different than some other part of the world. I know some countries which make White gold based on YG and then tinted it, so overtime it’ll turn back to YG. Maybe this necklace also the case?

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such an interesting post. Thanks for sharing.
I have heard that Rolex prides itself on it's "Everose" 18K metal for their watches. They claim to mix up their own rose gold and they say it will never change color.

"In 2005, Rolex introduced Everose, their proprietary blend of 18-karat pink gold that combines pure gold, copper, and a small amount of platinum to create a unique rose gold alloy that will never lose its warm red color."

Who knew that it was a thing?
Either way.. your necklaces are super pretty!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Maybe the way they mixed the material is not really for rose gold but yellow gold masked with rose tint? In the States, the way White Gold is mixed is different than some other part of the world. I know some countries which make White gold based on YG and then tinted it, so overtime it’ll turn back to YG. Maybe this necklace also the case?

I think you mean like white gold gets rhodium plating to make it appear whiter and shinier?
I don't believe rose gold gets any kind of plating though.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
Same, I haven’t seen any Tiffany RG pieces that weren’t solid 18kt RG.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess they are phasing it out. :)

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry if this is super basic, but something some people might not think about in jewelery terms (but definitely know when thinking of roofing and piping) is that copper quite readily oxidises to green. The combo of 75% yellow gold, with 20ish percent copper turning green, the piece will turn a warm yellow gold, and eventually a cool yellow over enough time. I haven't read about HOW platinum added to the alloy stops this oxidation rind from forming, aside from possibly eliminating the equally oxidation prone silver content, which is minimal and would more likely darken rather than yellow the piece. Ditto for zinc. I find alloys fascinating. Thank you for sharing your comparison photos @elle_chris

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
@737lizakg No problem.

Gotta say, the thought of my RG pieces turning a greenish/yellow color... just....:tongue: :lol-2:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Your pendants are lovely. I have always found it difficult to find the kind of peach color I wanted in gold, and your pics show me that I should consider Tiffany an option now.

Rubedo never interested me, but from the percentages discussed, it’s essentially 9k rose gold like some of my English antique pieces, which are blush pink, right in line with other makes of that period, and even after 130 years haven’t oxidised to yellow.

Last edited:

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Ive only seen this happen with my friends' wedding bands. They had custom weddings bands made in rg and both were yellow by the end of the honeymoon. I wondered if jeweler's rouge was used to achieve a temporary rose effect. Maybe one of the pros can chime in and let us know if this is possible.

I've seen older immigrants with rose gold teeth. Maybe Tiffany should hire some old world dentists lol

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Maybe Tiffany should hire some old world dentists lol" :lol: :lol: :lol:

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Ive only seen this happen with my friends' wedding bands. They had custom weddings bands made in rg and both were yellow by the end of the honeymoon. I wondered if jeweler's rouge was used to achieve a temporary rose effect. Maybe one of the pros can chime in and let us know if this is possible.

I've seen older immigrants with rose gold teeth. Maybe Tiffany should hire some old world dentists lol

lol.. I agree, Tiffany should.

On another note, for those with nickel allergies - I contacted Tiffany recently asking if they use nickel in their white gold. Their reply was: "In 2013, Tiffany discontinued the use of nickel as part of the white gold alloy, which some people have a sensitivity to and; Tiffany now alloys with palladium instead."

I have older WG pieces from Tiffany that never caused me to react even though I'm nickel sensitive (redness, rash etc).
So thinking they were using palladium in some pieces even before 2013.
Either way, it's good to know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results