shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Tiffany is fine for someone who wants to find very fast a diamond he'll know it will
be of good to very good quality wihout having to search for a beautiful diamond or
educate himself.... however you're going to pay more of course.

Now I hope this thread will be over soon.

Trichrome.

Dougie

Rough_Rock
SJUlaw:

You're welcome to buy the Tiffany name, but just know that the mark-up is far greater than 20%. After doing lots of research on prices, and comparing Tiffany diamonds with non-Tiffany diamonds (certified, and of equivalent 4 C's characteristics), you'll find that Tiffany diamonds will cost you anywhere from 52% to about 70 % more.

So you can get a much BIGGER diamond for whatever money you're budgeting, if you avoid Tiffany's. But again, the choice is yours.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Call me a cynic, but somehow I get the sense that SJULAW has posted this thread simply to "stir up the pot" with the masses.

I just don't believe this post is serious.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Well, I don't know if you're still around but...

Average size depends on her tastes and what area you live in and what your social circle is like. I live in a metropolitan area and most of our friends are professionals who were engaged in their late-20s and early 30s. As a result, 1 carat is often the bare minimum among my circle.

In other areas, .80 is a very respectable size. I'd take a look around at her friends and see if you can find out what her co-workers have and aim for something around that size or larger. Of course, if you have a budget, that should also be a consideration. I never suggest that a guy go into debt to make her friends jealous!
2.gif

Nimyane

Rough_Rock
Ok, I have to get in my 2cents...

I LOVE Tiffany's. I do.

BUT, when it came to my wedding set, I thought about it and I decided that I could either afford a tiny Tiffany soliaire OR something bigger.

Now what I did is I bought a loose EGL certified diamond from a dealer online, with a good guarentee and return policy, and then had it appraised but a CERTIFIED GEMOLOGIST. Then I took it out and found a setting I liked, and I also found a jeweler who would let me watch while he set my diamond (very important).

NOW, instead of that tiny Tiffant Ring, I have a diamond ring that is over two carats, good overall, with a 1.5 ct center stone. Total set 2.25 cts.

Let me tell you, we are much happier with this.

Fun silver designs and crystal wedding gifts are good for Tiffany's, but unless you are checking the time on your 18K Rolex Perpetual DateJust, I don't think I would advise them.

ukstipe

Rough_Rock
Tiffany's is a rip. Many on this site are diamond sellers so must keep in mind their interests but many are just joe's like me trying to pick up some knowledge before buying. Diamond is a commodity like those have said it. I dropped into Tiff's in London (in the City). My few weeks of learning on this site put her to shame. I tried to ask questions about cut and she was so frustrated she just reverted over and over again to the fact that Tiffany's selects the top nth percent and cut our own bla bla. She emailed me prices in British Sterling for loose rocks. Follow these steps: multiply these numbers by 1.6 to get dollars, compare to pricescope, reach for barf bag.....

1.22 D VS1 £13,500
1.26 E VVS1 £16,600
1.53 E VVS2 £20,200

marv117

Rough_Rock
like the old saying goes...

"ignorance is bliss"

emeraldcut

Rough_Rock
man, tough crowd. if buying at tiffany will give you piece of mind and provide her with that sense of joy that you bought there a la the little blue box , then go for it.

just wanted to note however, that i priced my ER at tiffany pre purchase and it was 35% more for a lesser color, cut, and clarity than what we bought. but more notable than what we already know re: price is the fact that they are not flexible with their settings. a tiffany setting is a tiffany setting and if she prefers say something slightly different which i did - i wanted a thinner band - they won't accomodate.

and keep in mind, their fabulous lights can be deceiving. good luck.

sh101392

Rough_Rock
we're looking at a diamond ring (a great quality diamond!) from tiffanys that is around $33,000. we did research and saw a similar diamond at bluenile for 22,900+1000(setting)= 24,000. the difference is about $9,000 (27% markup, not 50% to 75% markup as some people may think) i think it's worth it if you have the money to spend. of course you could buy even a better color/clarity diamond and/or a bigger diamond with the same cost at somewhere else. however, unless the "size" is an issue, diamond is a diamond, and that's it. what are you going to do with it later when you're still happily married to the man you love -- sell it and not wear the ring? absolutely nothing but wear it, right? so, wearing a tiffany ring that has the brand stamped on the band and the real, original ring setting to feel good and brag about for the rest of my life is worth the extra 27% markup! my two cents.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh No....

It's not Friday yet. Please refrain from further discussions on this thread until FRIDAY 12:01:01am.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results