shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Novo - Which would you opt for?

ked123

Rough_Rock
Since you are so color sensitive, I would not buy a ring with yellow flourescence.

My original Tiffany ring was a 1 carat G VS2 and I upgraded last year to a 1.9 I VS2, with medium blue flourescence. Both rings were triple EX and faced up very white to me (I actually couldn't tell the difference), and I much appreciate the larger size.

I am not an expert, but I do know that blue fluorescence isn't necessarily bad (Brian Gavin sells a line- Brian Gavin Blue, for instance). I have not read good things about yellow fluorescence, however. I think it is rare.

You are paying a huge mark up for the Tiffany name (nothing wrong with this, my ring and 3 bands are Tiffany)- but what you choose should be perfect in your eyes.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
TristanC|1311313274|2974378 said:
I'm wondering why you are not buying from Tiffany Australia? I am sure they have them there (I've bought from them). I don't remember Tiffany having preferential pricing country to country when I last checked.

There's a huge price difference between Tiffany US and others. I saved $5500 after paying customs, taxes and paying for our holiday over to NY by buying my ring in the US as opposed to buying it in Ireland or the UK.

In terms of which ring to pick, I wouldn't go with yellow fluor so I'd probably stay away from the G. The H sounds good.

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for feedback, really appreciate it. :appl:

I made a call last night to go with the 1.56 H Vs1 and have all prices in covering customs/duty, shipping, insurance etc etc and I'm still saving a fortune on Aussie Tiff prices (Aus v US $ is also a winner at the moment) however the female 'all things shiny and sparkly' magpie in me is rearing it's ugly head and I've just requested specs for the 1.71 H VVs2 - bugger it - worth a shot to see what the report is :lol: :mrgreen: :naughty:

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Ha, I love it! Why not go for the bigger stone! I'm with you on color though, I can definitely see the difference between and I and a G or H. The salesperson couldn't believe it until she up them together and I was able to pick out the I color without knowing which ring it was. (This is at Tiffany's as well). Btw. my ring set is Tiffany and I LOVE it, so congrats!! You won't regret this!!

Colltee

Rough_Rock
1.71 Carat H, VVs1 - In the bag!!! Wooohooo!

*Happy Dance* *Happy Dance* *Happy Dance* :wavey:

:appl: :naughty: :mrgreen:

Thanks again so much for all the help on this :love:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Congrats - can't wait to see photos!!!

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Thanks - will post pics as soon as I get it. Money being wired today so I am guessing it'll arrive early next week :naughty: :appl:

A note of caution to other Aussie buyers - Tiffany doesn't/won't supply a certificate of origin to say the piece was made in the US (or Canada) which is a necessity to satisfy the AUSFTA agreement. So if you go down the Tiffany route, you won't save the 5% customs duty - you'll have to pay that and the 10% G.S.T. – which is a bit of a bummer, however you'll still make a good saving on the overly inflated Aussie in-store prices.

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Well it arrived yesterday and I love it, can't stop looking at it! Love it :mrgreen: :love:

Thanks again to all who offered advice on the ring. :appl:

Ring-3.jpg

Ring-4.jpg

Ring-5.jpg

Ring-1.jpg

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
AMAZING - more hand shots!!!

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Am thinking to go ahead and get a Novo wedding band to match it as it does look a little odd with my current wedding band, possibly? (see attached below) and then use my existing wedding band as a right-hand ring... What do you think?

Ring-2.jpg

Colltee

Rough_Rock
centralsquare|1313210929|2989867 said:
AMAZING - more hand shots!!!

Thanks centralsquare – those pics are actually a bit small aren't they. I took them very quickly this afternoon, will get some more later and post up :)

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Another one or two taken on a point and shoot without a tripod so they're a bit blurry. The more I'm seeing the two rings together, the more I am liking the combo, starting to worry if the Novo band would look a bit boring with the e-ring... Either way, all the spotlights in the rooms in my house are on for the next few days :naughty:

Ring-10.jpg

Ring-1-2.jpg

cutelittlelion

Rough_Rock
It looks absolutely gorgeous!

I love the combination with your wedding band, but I'm not too keen on matchy matchy anyway, I prefer a personalized, more individual stack.

Enjoy!

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
:love: THAT IS GORGEOUS! I love the novos, so pretty. If it were me I would get the matching wedding band and wear the one you have now as a right hand ring. Have you tried the band on with it?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW. That is breathtaking. You made a great choice. I adore the way it looks on your hand. It's perfect for you!

Ladybug1

Shiny_Rock
LOVE IT!!!!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous! I love it on your hand. Great choice!!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1311643335|2976757 said:
Umm, yes, red flag indeed! Blue fluorescence is totally fine with me, but I would never choose a stone with yellow unless I was trying to get a fancy yellow stone and wanted the color enhanced! I'd grab the H before I'd consider a G with yellow fluoro!

(You won't see the fluoro in most circumstances, but in bright sunlight you may see a hint of the yellow)

Totally agree. I would only buy med. Yellow flouro if I wanted a yellow tinted stone. If you ate looking for white stones- I would take the first G or the H.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
good gaw that's gorgeous! i'm so glad you are happy with your choice - and i personally LOVE it with your current wedding band! i think the pairing looks stunning as is!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Wow that looks gorgeous on your hand! And I think it looks great with your current wedding band, what a beautiful set :love:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful!! And I really do love it with your current wedding band--I love a non matchy-matchy set myself.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Wow its beautiful :love: more pics please :cheeky:

ciciban

Rough_Rock
I still find it utterly crazy that a 1.53 Carat, G colour Vs1 is USD$34,700 and a 1.56 Carat, G colour Vs1 is AUD$44,000 - even with exchange rate and customs/GST it doesn't equate... Everything imported in Oz, esp. Sydney is ridiculously expensive...

Would they consider lowering their price to match their foreign counterpart's price?? It may worth a shot as most companies would like to get business even at a lesser profit...

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the wonderful comments everyone – big smile on my face :mrgreen: I'm still staring at it :love: :lol:

ciciban|1313453735|2991562 said:
I still find it utterly crazy that a 1.53 Carat, G colour Vs1 is USD$34,700 and a 1.56 Carat, G colour Vs1 is AUD$44,000 - even with exchange rate and customs/GST it doesn't equate... Everything imported in Oz, esp. Sydney is ridiculously expensive...

Would they consider lowering their price to match their foreign counterpart's price?? It may worth a shot as most companies would like to get business even at a lesser profit...

No they won't and I didn't even bother asking as I knew what they would say. Funnily enough I rang up yesterday to get a valuation on the ring as obviously I want to get it insured ASAP, but as it takes 2 weeks to get a valuation (?!) I said I'd set a value with my insurance co. straight away aka yesterday and I could always change it if the valuation comes back in 2 weeks considerably different.

The reason I am mentioning this is the woman with whom I dealt with (whilst very nice) made a comment about there "being little difference in the cost of Tiffany in the US versus Australia now due to recent Tiffany price hikes in the US" to which I politely replied, in a roundabout way that that it was '"a load of bol***x!", there is still a huge mark up in Oz with their prices.

For example: the Tiffany 'Victoria Band Ring' is USD$15,000 in the US whilst in Australia it's AUD$18,700 = when calculated at today's exchange rate (AUD$1.04) = almost USD$5,000 more. Even taking import duty into account which would be an extra USD$1,500.

So it's much more enticing for me at least to purchase directly from a US store - for bigger purchases at least, if I was buying a smaller item I don't think I'd bother with buying overseas, but when splurging on something like this, you have to be more savvy in checking out other options I feel.

I am interested to see what the valuation comes back on my purchased stone. I valued it for AUD$40K based on the USD$35,700 we paid which may be a bit under what they'll come back with, but we shall see...

On an end note I do have to add in though, Tiffany in NYC and the guy I dealt with were incredibly helpful and very efficient, as was the guy in Sydney I dealt with before I looked towards the US, but secretly I quite like that it came from NYC as it's a really special city for me. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results