Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Novo - Which would you opt for?

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
80
Hello all,

First time Pricescoper here looking for some feedback. :wavey:

Am going for a Tiffany Novo (100% decided after much pondering/research etc etc etc) and pretty much down to the nitty-gritty... So that in mind, which would you opt for? *See below – these are prices just supplied to my from Tiffany in NYC*

I am not located in the US – rather I'm in Australia and if I go down this route of buying from there and not here and have the ring shipped to me (paying Oz customs/taxes etc etc) I won't see the ring in person *eeek* but have tried on a few Novos here ranging from 1.2 - 1.5 carats and pretty much set on the larger stone size. This is an upgrade to my existing e-ring so this is a once and only and want to make sure I have no regrets as it's a big purchase... :shock:

1.56 H VS1 $30,100
1.53 G VSI $34,700
1.40 F VVSI $34,500
1.71 H VVS2 $35,700

Thoughts appreciated as head is starting to get bamboozled from past few weeks of e-ring research overload... :geek:

Cheers
 

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
6,232
I'd choose the 1.56 H/VS1. H color is very white, and IMO it's not worth an extra $4k to bump up to G. Likewise with clarity, VS1 is great, whereas VVS is paying for something you can't see with the naked eye.
 

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 6, 2011
Messages
995
Most here feel that a VS1 virtually guarantees that the stone will be eyeclean. VVS is when you need to know what you are looking for with a loupe to play "spot the inclusion". Hence, unless you need it to be "mind clean", VS1 is as high as you need to go for clarity.

I'm wondering why you are not buying from Tiffany Australia? I am sure they have them there (I've bought from them). I don't remember Tiffany having preferential pricing country to country when I last checked.

And if you aren't getting from Tiffany australia, you can consider a trip to a tax free country to purchase the ring and wear it back home on your finger. ;-) Might save you some money or pay for the trip given that it is a largish purchase value.
 

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
80
jstarfireb|1311312796|2974374 said:
I'd choose the 1.56 H/VS1. H color is very white, and IMO it's not worth an extra $4k to bump up to G. Likewise with clarity, VS1 is great, whereas VVS is paying for something you can't see with the naked eye.
Thanks jstarfireb, I tried on a H and a G in the store here in Sydney and I don't know if it was the lights or not (which the sales assistant said are not great) but when he took them out of the case I immediately thought the H looked darker and there was a tinge to it. So I'm a little confused now on the G or H colour choice. I was probably imagining it due to the bad lighting... But it's sort of burnt a sense of uncertainty in my mind... :confused:
 

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 6, 2011
Messages
995
That might be valid, and a function of the other parameters of the diamond, not the colour. G & H do not look darker or lighter than each other. That would be the stone's optical properties related more to its cut.

Tiffany doesn't have an insistence on a particular 'type' of ideal cut like hearts on fire or eightstar/solasfera etc. So various stones can and do look different. Just choose one that your eyes love the most?
 

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
80
TristanC|1311313274|2974378 said:
I'm wondering why you are not buying from Tiffany Australia? I am sure they have them there (I've bought from them). I don't remember Tiffany having preferential pricing country to country when I last checked.
No they are significantly more expensive. On average I am finding about a AUD$6K difference in most of the rings I am looking at. For example that 1.56 H VS1 USD $30,100 is AUD$36,000 here... Also I have been shown a 1.5 G colour Vs1 which is AUD$44,000. The Aussie dollar too is very strong at the moment against the greenback so this is a factor we are taking advantage of. I would like to buy here for ease of purchase primarily, however also I am finding they don't have access to as many rings as it seems the sales guy in NYC has.

And if you aren't getting from Tiffany australia, you can consider a trip to a tax free country to purchase the ring and wear it back home on your finger. ;-) Might save you some money or pay for the trip given that it is a largish purchase value.
Yes, we did ponder this idea but realistically the customs fees are reasonable enough for me and honestly I haven't time at the moment to travel overseas to the US – where Tiffany seems to be the most 'reasonably' priced. Also whilst a nice idea in theory I think it would end up costing more at the end of the day as you'd be paying hotels etc etc...
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
1.56 H VS1 $30,100 and save the 5K for your wedding band.
 

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
80
Gypsy|1311313892|2974385 said:
1.56 H VS1 $30,100 and save the 5K for your wedding band.
Cheers Gypsy, I already have one of those - got hitched 6 years ago :mrgreen: My wedding band is a Tiffany Princess Cut band ring - from their Celebration Ring collection, it pairs pretty well with the Novo and I'll possibly look at a Novo band at a later date... (or just buy it now too 'cause I'm an impatient twat! :lol: )
 

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
80
chooette|1311314073|2974388 said:
I don't know if you already know this, but with the US/Aus free trade agreement, you don't have to pay duty on imports that were made in the US, which wipes out 5%, still have to pay the 10% tax though. See this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/custom-ring-ausfta-t130164-120.html

I'd go G or H over the F, and only go G if you can tell the difference (might need to do another physical check), and VS1.
Thanks for that - yes I'm checking with them in NYC to see if they can supply me with proof that the ring was made in the US or Canada - as Aus has an agreement with them too. Knowing my luck it was probably made in Russia or something! :roll:
 

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 6, 2011
Messages
995
Colltee|1311314320|2974389 said:
Gypsy|1311313892|2974385 said:
1.56 H VS1 $30,100 and save the 5K for your wedding band.
Cheers Gypsy, I already have one of those - got hitched 6 years ago :mrgreen: My wedding band is a Tiffany Princess Cut band ring - from their Celebration Ring collection, it pairs pretty well with the Novo and I'll possibly look at a Novo band at a later date... (or just buy it now too 'cause I'm an impatient twat! :lol: )
I was thinking HK, which would be nearer and also tax free... :)

I didn't realise that the pricing in Aus was so varied. I think that has to do with the very HUGE fluctuation of the Aussie dollar vs the US dollar (and most other currencies) in the last 14 months.
 

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
80
TristanC|1311314553|2974392 said:
Colltee|1311314320|2974389 said:
Gypsy|1311313892|2974385 said:
1.56 H VS1 $30,100 and save the 5K for your wedding band.
Cheers Gypsy, I already have one of those - got hitched 6 years ago :mrgreen: My wedding band is a Tiffany Princess Cut band ring - from their Celebration Ring collection, it pairs pretty well with the Novo and I'll possibly look at a Novo band at a later date... (or just buy it now too 'cause I'm an impatient twat! :lol: )
I was thinking HK, which would be nearer and also tax free... :)

I didn't realise that the pricing in Aus was so varied. I think that has to do with the very HUGE fluctuation of the Aussie dollar vs the US dollar (and most other currencies) in the last 14 months.
HK is closer alright but more expensive than the US, I don't pay any US tax as I'm buying from overseas so that would be the same in HK but the Aussie customs will still want their whack of dosh. To be honest, in the 6 years I've lived in Australia, Tiffany here has always been much more expensive than anywhere else. Don't quote me but I think it's renowned for being the most expensive place to buy Tiffany in the world.
 

cutelittlelion

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 17, 2011
Messages
21
Have you checked whether they'd be willing to do this?

Because of the weak dollar (compared to the euro) I bought something (in person) in NY. I wanted it engraved and because this would take longer than expected shipped to Europe. They didn't do this, according to the SA it was because there is a store in my country.

If you want something specific they generally want to call it in from abroad to their local store, rather than having you buy it abroad by mail or phone.
 

NARRISHKEIT

Rough_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jul 20, 2011
Messages
98
Before you go make your purchase I'd visit Jogia Diamonds in Perth and look at their Square Cushion HA.
For 30k you can have something like this 2CT http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8355/..
Nothing replaces the blue box, but once its on your finger you just may opt for bigger and better cut over the Tiffany's box.
 

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Messages
2,362
I would likely choose the 1.70. I had a .95 H novo and I could see color in it but I didn't mind, I traded for an L color. Since it sounds like you do mind color maybe H is not for you. Also keep in mind that the differences between one H and one G could be splitting hairs. I do think novo is a good choice, I had people stop me everyday to say how beautiful it was. If I could have two diamond rings and saw one available I'd get one again in a heartbeat (I buy Tiffany pieces used).
 

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
80
NARRISHKEIT|1311370930|2974859 said:
Before you go make your purchase I'd visit Jogia Diamonds in Perth and look at their Square Cushion HA.
For 30k you can have something like this 2CT http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8355/...
Nothing replaces the blue box, but once its on your finger you just may opt for bigger and better cut over the Tiffany's box.
Hi - thanks for that link however I'm not keen to go higher than a 1.5 or so size wise, whilst I love diamonds, I'm not into very OTT jewelry and would feel too self-concious with a stone bigger than 1.5. For various reasons, I won't bore you with, I'm dead set I want to go with a Tiffany ring for this purchase :)
 

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
80
cutelittlelion|1311369146|2974827 said:
Have you checked whether they'd be willing to do this?

Because of the weak dollar (compared to the euro) I bought something (in person) in NY. I wanted it engraved and because this would take longer than expected shipped to Europe. They didn't do this, according to the SA it was because there is a store in my country.

If you want something specific they generally want to call it in from abroad to their local store, rather than having you buy it abroad by mail or phone.
Yes it seems (well so far) that they will. I was expecting them not to in all honesty - was a long shot. If they didn't I thought I could buy from them over the phone from the store in NYC and have a friend pick it up and courier it to me.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,129
I also would go for the 1.56 H VS1. My stone is a round 1.63 H VS1, and it is very white in natural lighting. It only shows a tint when the environment is reflecting color in it.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
if you are concerned I would go with the G. it sounds like it might be more 'mind-clean' for you.
 

cutelittlelion

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 17, 2011
Messages
21
Colltee|1311380698|2974944 said:
cutelittlelion|1311369146|2974827 said:
Have you checked whether they'd be willing to do this?

Because of the weak dollar (compared to the euro) I bought something (in person) in NY. I wanted it engraved and because this would take longer than expected shipped to Europe. They didn't do this, according to the SA it was because there is a store in my country.

If you want something specific they generally want to call it in from abroad to their local store, rather than having you buy it abroad by mail or phone.
Yes it seems (well so far) that they will. I was expecting them not to in all honesty - was a long shot. If they didn't I thought I could buy from them over the phone from the store in NYC and have a friend pick it up and courier it to me.

Cool! That's good to know, even if I don't mind taking the occasional shopping trip overseas;-)

Good luck with your gorgeous new ring!
 

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
80
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I went back into Tiffany here today and had a look at both a H and a G Novo and honestly I think I feel more comfortable with the G. I'm very detail focused and a real perfectionist (annoyingly so at times!) and honestly I could see a teeny tiny difference in the two stones - it's probably all in my head but I'm fixated on it and I really don't want to regret any of this purchase.

Here's hoping they still have in it in the US store :saint: I would much prefer to buy the ring here in Oz but the same ring (well it's a 1.56 here as opposed to is 15.3 in store US, but with all the same basic specs) here is currently AUD$12,000 more expensive (!!!)
 

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Messages
2,362
I still like the idea of you flying to NY to select in person and wear it back. You might consider adding up the figures of all the options. The benefit of selecting in person is that some stones have better light performance than others. I have heard of some "dud" Novos.
 

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
80
kelpie|1311412785|2975129 said:
I still like the idea of you flying to NY to select in person and wear it back. You might consider adding up the figures of all the options. The benefit of selecting in person is that some stones have better light performance than others. I have heard of some "dud" Novos.
Cheers kelpie – I would love to fly over to NYC for a few days (annoyingly I was there for 8 days a month ago :rolleyes:) but with return flights from Sydney and hotel (and the fact there's no way on earth I could go to NYC and not go mad shopping for things other than diamonds ha!) in addition to the almost 20 hours flying each way, jet lag etc etc means I'd definitely spend more money/stress if I went to there or even to LA.

I feel very confident to trust Tiffany to send me a decent diamond and at G colour and VS1 I am happy to give chance it. I imagine if it turns out to be a 'dud' although I would highly and fingers crossed, doubt that would be the case (I'll eat my hat and buy you a pint someday if I'm wrong :tongue:), I could always return it. I'm going to speak to them tonight (aka morning NYC time) and suss out steps going forward.

I still find it utterly crazy that a 1.53 Carat, G colour Vs1 is USD$34,700 and a 1.56 Carat, G colour Vs1 is AUD$44,000 - even with exchange rate and customs/GST it doesn't equate... Everything imported in Oz, esp. Sydney is ridiculously expensive...
 

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
80
Me again....

OK am about to bite the bullet on this one but before I do and send a whole big whack of money to the US, I asked for full report on both rings in the running. I was 100% sure I was going for the G but decided to ask for reports on both. Which are as below. Could one of you knowledgeable Pricescopers give me any advice on the MEDIUM YELLOW FLUORESCENCE in the G colour ring (ring 2). The only reason I was 99% decided upon the G was so I don't have any colour regrets down the line, but now the mention of medium yellow is making alarm bells sound for me - mainly due to the fact I have no iota was medium yellow fluorescence actually means (!) Any further advice would be really appreciated. Many thanks 8-)

RING1
SHAPE - SQUARE CUSHION
CUT - BRILLIANT
MEASUREMENTS - 7.15 x 6.93 x 4.52 mm
CARAT WEIGHT - 1.56 CARATS
COLOR GRADE - H
FLUORESCENCE - NONE

PRESENCE
PRECISION OF CUT - EXCELLENT
SYMMETRY - VERY GOOD
POLISH - EXCELLENT
CLARITY GRADE - VS1

ENHANCEMENTS (BESIDES CUT/POLISHING) - NONE

CUT PROPORTIONS
TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE - 65.2%
PAVILION ANGLE - 41.6°
TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE - 62%
GIRDLE THICKNESS - MEDIUM TO SLIGHTLY THICK
CROWN HEIGHT PERCENTAGE - 15.3%
GIRDLE FINISH - FACETED

CROWN ANGLE - 35.1°
CULET - NONE
PAVILION DEPTH PERCENTAGE - 46.3%
CROWN INSCRIPTION - T&CO.L11170376
GIRDLE INSCRIPTION - NONE

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

RING 2
SHAPE - SQUARE CUSHION
CUT - BRILLIANT
MEASUREMENTS - 7.05 x 6.88 x 4.52 mm
CARAT WEIGHT - 1.53 CARATS
COLOR GRADE - G
FLUORESCENCE - MEDIUM YELLOW

PRESENCE
PRECISION OF CUT - EXCELLENT
SYMMETRY - EXCELLENT
POLISH - EXCELLENT
CLARITY GRADE - VS1

ENHANCEMENTS (BESIDES CUT/POLISHING) - NONE

CUT PROPORTIONS
TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE - 65.7%
PAVILION ANGLE - 41.7°
TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE - 62%
GIRDLE THICKNESS - SLIGHTLY THICK
CROWN HEIGHT PERCENTAGE - 16%
GIRDLE FINISH - FACETED

CROWN ANGLE - 35.6°
CULET - NONE
PAVILION DEPTH PERCENTAGE - 46.8%
CROWN INSCRIPTION - T&CO.L11170376
GIRDLE INSCRIPTION - NONE
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
can you ask how apparent the effects of fluor are? you may see some yellowish tint in sunlight or other light with UV component.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,129
Umm, yes, red flag indeed! Blue fluorescence is totally fine with me, but I would never choose a stone with yellow unless I was trying to get a fancy yellow stone and wanted the color enhanced! I'd grab the H before I'd consider a G with yellow fluoro!

(You won't see the fluoro in most circumstances, but in bright sunlight you may see a hint of the yellow)
 

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
80
slg47|1311643006|2976751 said:
can you ask how apparent the effects of fluor are? you may see some yellowish tint in sunlight or other light with UV component.
Hi - thanks. I was thinking to email them (this is the pain in the bum about dealing with a store which has a 16 hour time difference..) but let's face it in all honesty I think they're just going to say they can't see anything or there's a possibility a slight tinge will be seen in the sun... and remember I'm in Sydney where it's pretty sunny a lot of the time (!) Even though it may be Tiffany they're still going to try and get me to fork out as much cash as they can...

I'm actually veering back towards the H now as for the extra $4K I think I'll be always thinking the ring as yellow fluorescence and spending the extra to get a G over H when the former has yellow fluorescence and the H has none, probably evens out any yellow colour issues (sorry does that all makes sense!?).

*ARGH* this is all getting too complicated and annoying... :knockout:


(Also the H is a teeeeeny bit bigger :naughty:)
 

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
80
diamondseeker2006|1311643335|2976757 said:
Umm, yes, red flag indeed! Blue fluorescence is totally fine with me, but I would never choose a stone with yellow unless I was trying to get a fancy yellow stone and wanted the color enhanced! I'd grab the H before I'd consider a G with yellow fluoro!

(You won't see the fluoro in most circumstances, but in bright sunlight you may see a hint of the yellow)
Thanks, yep I agree, I think I see the yellow fluoro as a 'scar' on the diamond and instinctually it's turning me totally off the G. It's a big, fat flaw in the stone as far as I am concerned - esp as this price point....
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,129
The G should be discounted to reflect the fluoro, and perhaps it is, but with a $4000 price difference, I'd go with the H personally. If the prices were equal, then it would be more of a toss up.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top