shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Novo Fan -- Blue Nile Nouveau VS Good Old Gold Gabriel & Co VS De Beers Forever Pave or DB C

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
I really like the Tiffany Novo except I want a round diamond in the center instead of cushion. I''ve choosing between the following below. Can you guys please provide input and/or pictures? By the way, I''ve seen other posts on the WhiteFlash, Excel, and James Allen versions which I don''t like as much because the prongs protrude a bit, preventing the wedding band from sitting flush against the engagement ring.

Blue Nile Nouveau:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/blue-nile-nouveau-engagement.105689/
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_7798

Good Old Gold Gabriel & Co:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1-3-isee2-h-a-on-tiffany-novo-replica.95624/

De Beers Forever Pave
http://www.debeers.com/Engagement-Rings/Forever-Pave-Engagement-Ring-150ct-GVS/invt/j1eu02b15p&bklist=icat,6,shop,toprings,ncrings,ringsengagement,j1eu02b15p

De Beers DB Classic
http://www.debeers.com/Engagement-Rings/DB-Classic-Solitaire-Micropave-ring/invt/j1ex02b10p&bklist=icat,6,shop,toprings,ncrings,ringsengagement,j1ex02b10p

I need to decide today/tomorrow so any help would be appreciated!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 5:07:54 PM
Author:silverbuggy
I really like the Tiffany Novo
And the setting inspiration:

tiffanynovo8ct0289yntv.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
If what you''re trying to do is replicate the setting style as closely as possibly, it seems like the blue nile one does that the best.

Have you considered going custom?

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a Blue Nile Nouveau picture from website with a 1.61 carat simulated center.

BlueNileNouveauFromWebsite.jpg

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Here''s an actual Blue Nile Nouveau with 1.51 carat ring posted by mkozaka.

BlueNileNouveauActual1.51Carat1.jpg

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Here''s another view of the actual Blue Nile Nouveau with 1.51 carat ring posted by mkozaka.

BlueNileNouveauActual1.51Carat2.jpg

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
I don''t understand why the Blue Nile website''s Nouveau with 1.61 carat diamond seems to have a thicker band than the actual Nouveau with 1.51 carat diamond. If anything, the band should appear thinner with a bigger diamond! Can anyone who owns a Blue Nile Nouveau explain if the actual ring they received had a thinner band than the picture? I have small hands so I need a really thin band. I know it says 2.2mm which should be thin enough, but the picture still worries me.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
musey, I have considered going custom but we''re on a rather short timeline (about 3-4 weeks before the expected proposal) so I don''t think there''s time for that. Plus, I''d have to find someone trustworthy rather quickly, and even then, my boyfriend and I are in different locations so it would be hard.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 7:29:00 PM
Author: silverbuggy
I don''t understand why the Blue Nile website''s Nouveau with 1.61 carat diamond seems to have a thicker band than the actual Nouveau with 1.51 carat diamond. If anything, the band should appear thinner with a bigger diamond! Can anyone who owns a Blue Nile Nouveau explain if the actual ring they received had a thinner band than the picture? I have small hands so I need a really thin band. I know it says 2.2mm which should be thin enough, but the picture still worries me.
It may be a matter of perspective, and/or a simulated picture (i.e. the stone and band were photographed separately, than spliced together). Also, keep in mind that the whole thing is blown up, so it''s difficult to keep perspective.

2.2mm will definitely be thin. 2mm is generally the lower limit for most rings, though you can go thinner with a taller (profile) shank. Trust the look of the real-life picture you copied from the other pricescope thread and the with specification listed on BN''s site, as opposed to the website''s rendering.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where do you see the 1.61 cz thing listed?

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I know you said you already looked, but I think this James Allen ring looks an awful lot like the Blue nile one. It''s 2mmhttp://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/ring/item_412-3720_design.asp?module=setting and in the thread above Jim just said there is a matching band that is not yet on the website.

Maybe I''m not seeing correctly
33.gif
Just trying to help
35.gif

JApavehandmadering.jpg

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
I actually looked at that one too! Actually, there is another very similar one that is 6-prong instead of 4-prong (I have a slight personal preference for 6-prong). The only difference between the 2 is the 4-prong one has a slight gap between the center diamond and the sides, whereas the 6-prong doesn''t have the gap.

I almost went with this James Allen 6-prong one but there was no matching band! Also, it looked like the setting part sticks out a bit so even if there is a matching band, they may not sit flush against each other. Now I''m curious what the matching wedding band will look like with it! Which thread are you talking about where Jim mentions it? Is there a link?

Oh, my other concern was that I''ve never heard of James Allen before and there are a couple threads on here which badmouth that company...so I''m worried about buying a diamond from BlueNile and then sending it there. I suppose I could buy a diamond from JA as well, but I trust BlueNile more.

JamesAllen6-prong.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi, I love the 6-prong!

Here''s the thread where Jim from James Allen pops in to talk about the matching band. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/looking-for-a-thin-setting-with-diamonds.107732/

I have never purchased from James Allen, but lots of people have. I have spoken with one of their reps about purchasing a setting and she was very very helpful and nice. I would be reassured to know that they have a presence on this board, and it is in their best interest to satisfy you.

I''m sure if you were not satisfied you could always return the ring/diamond! It would be a hassle, but the rings I have seen from them (on here) are gorgeous and they seem very accommodating and helpful. I think the main complaint has been with their customer service, which is always difficult to keep up with in a growing business. The thing I like about JA, and Jim, is that they are always ready to admit their mistake and try to do what they can to make their customer happy. That is what makes a trustworthy business, IMO. But in the end, you have to be comfortable!

One last point, if you have JA set a diamond from elsewhere, you need to have insurance for the diamond. They (as far as I know), like every other company, will not cover it for possible damages while setting unless they are setting one of their stones. That is the bonus to purchasing the setting and stone from the same company, and why it is recommended on here.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
I was looking at those settings too.

I have recently purchased a stone from JA. I think it is a gorgeous stone, and their customer service was incredibly helpful. Darrin was a pleasure to work with and was very patient with my newbie and numerous questions.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
JA is very reputable - you don't need to worry.

I've bought a setting from them before (it's a 1.8 mm common prong setting - you can find it on their site) and I absolutely love it. Quality is fantastic, and great customer service. No worries!

Link to my setting here and here

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Brown.Eyed.Girl, are you referring to this James Allen Common Prong setting?
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/Platinum-Common-Prong-Ring.html

Couple questions for you...

1) The prongs on the website look like they have kind of sharp edges. Is it the same in real life or do they have a softer touch?
2) Do you have a matching wedding band and does it sit flush against the engagement ring or is there a gap? If you have a picture, please share.

Btw, beautiful ring you''ve got there! I love that blue emerald (?) ...

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Oh here''s a picture of that James Allen Common Prong setting side profile.

JamesAllenCommonProng.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 3:15:45 AM
Brown.Eyed.Girl, are you referring to this James Allen Common Prong setting?

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/Platinum-Common-Prong-Ring.html

Couple questions for you...

1) The prongs on the website look like they have kind of sharp edges. Is it the same in real life or do they have a softer touch?

2) Do you have a matching wedding band and does it sit flush against the engagement ring or is there a gap? If you have a picture, please share.

Btw, beautiful ring you''ve got there! I love that blue emerald (?) ...

That is indeed my setting! Mine is in 14 kt. white gold (I''m a dummy - mine IS 1.9 mm, I just forgot, lol).

So to answer your questions, the edges are much softer in real life. I actually had to go get the ring to check because I didn''t remember noticing the sharpness. Plus the prongs are pretty thin too - very delicate. I did have JA claw out the prong tips though (just a preference
1.gif
).

And second, sorry I don''t have a w-band to go with it (it''s not an engagement ring, just a right hand ring
2.gif
). It was my BF''s one year dating anniversary present to me a few months ago (it''s a blue sapphire cut by Richard Homer). Of course, I''ll let you guess who actually chose the setting and the stone
5.gif

But I really love the setting - it''s very delicate. The stone is 1.2 ct. (and being that it''s a sapphire cushion, it doesn''t face up as large as a 1.2 ct. round diamond) but the thin band really makes the stone pop. It came out so much more delicate than I expected, which I love!

And thank you for the compliment!
1.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Oh i just went and did a little experiment. So with a flat band, it sits completely flush with the ring. Judging from the fact that the stone is set a little higher, I think you could probably get a channel set band or something similar and it would still be flush - I couldn''t say about a shared prong band (that would depend on how big the diamonds are in the band and how high the band sits). But for a regular band, it looks like there''s no gap (I tested this out by putting one of my other rings on upside down and putting it on next to my sapphire ring
2.gif
)

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the quick reply Brown.Eyed.Girl!

Unfortunately I''d probably get the matching wedding band which is the same thickness as the engagement band...judging from the picture of the side profile, seems like there would be a gap because the bridge on the setting is a little elevated but probably not enough.

By the way, that rotating panda icon that you have...i used to have the exact same one as my AIM icon! Because of that icon, my friend nicknamed me "butt" and vice versa...gosh, that was back on 2/18/2002 when she gave me a big tarepanda stuffed animal for my birthday and stuck its butt out at me, saying it looked like my icon. Ever since then we''ve been calling each other "butt"! And yes, my birthday just passed. :)

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
musey, sorry forgot to reply to your question! I saw the 1.61 carat diamond listed on BlueNile...well actually, I''m debating between 1.55, 1.61, and 1.62, but will probably settle for the middle.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Brown.Eyed.Girl, what do you mean by this?
"I did have JA claw out the prong tips though (just a preference )."

I was looking at your picture as well as the pic from JA website from the top view (looking down on the center diamond), but I don''t notice a difference between the 4 tips showing on the diamond top...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 3:39:24 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Brown.Eyed.Girl!

Unfortunately I'd probably get the matching wedding band which is the same thickness as the engagement band...judging from the picture of the side profile, seems like there would be a gap because the bridge on the setting is a little elevated but probably not enough.

By the way, that rotating panda icon that you have...i used to have the exact same one as my AIM icon! Because of that icon, my friend nicknamed me 'butt' and vice versa...gosh, that was back on 2/18/2002 when she gave me a big tarepanda stuffed animal for my birthday and stuck its butt out at me, saying it looked like my icon. Ever since then we've been calling each other 'butt'! And yes, my birthday just passed. :)

Hahaha aww that's too cute! I love the panda icon - it amuses me
1.gif

If you're interested in the common prong, I would definitely e-mail JA and ask about whether the matching band will sit flush. You never know!

Oh and by claw out, I meant that instead of the regular rounded prong tips, I had them make the tips pointy (like claws). Leon Mege http://www.artofplatinum.com) is really well known for his claw prongs and it's become pretty popular on the board lately (I like the claws because they look thinner and smaller, and they don't overpower the stone).

And Happy Birthday!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I just looked at the website pic - if you look at the prong tips straight on, you''ll see that they''re kind of square shaped. It''s a little hard to tell from my pics, but instead of having it be square, it''s kind of very pointy-triangle shaped instead. Not a huge difference - more a nitpicky thing for me
2.gif

I think a diamond in the 1.5-1.6 mark would look amazing with a thin diamond band on the engagement ring. I think I missed this - are you looking at round or cushion shaped diamonds?

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Oh I''m looking at round...one of the things I like about JA is it has the common prong and pave scalloped settings which both come in 6-prong. if i go with BN or GOG, I think I have to use 4-prong. Thanks for the advice, I''ll definitely email JA to see if the rings will sit flush. Thanks for the birthday wish!

Ah got it (regarding the claw). I''ll have to do more research to figure out which one I like more!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results