shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany near-colorless

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mayflower25

Rough_Rock
Hello All!

I''ve been keeping tabs on PS for quite some time now and have an urgent question! My dear BF will be proposing soon and we have picked out the Tiffany Novo ring. I realize that Tiffanys isn''t necessarily a favorite here, and that today ISN''T Friday
2.gif
, but I believe my BF will be sneaking off to Tiffany''s this week to purchase the ering.

Enough background info, but my question is this: Is it better to get a full 1ct I-color cushion in the VVS range or a G/H that is .92-.96cts in the VS range?

My biggest concern is that the I-color might not be white enough. Opinions?

Thank you!
-Mayflower

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 5:13:55 PM
Author:Mayflower25
Hello All!

I''ve been keeping tabs on PS for quite some time now and have an urgent question! My dear BF will be proposing soon and we have picked out the Tiffany Novo ring. I realize that Tiffanys isn''t necessarily a favorite here, and that today ISN''T Friday
2.gif
, but I believe my BF will be sneaking off to Tiffany''s this week to purchase the ering.

Enough background info, but my question is this: Is it better to get a full 1ct I-color cushion in the VVS range or a G/H that is .92-.96cts in the VS range?

My biggest concern is that the I-color might not be white enough. Opinions?

Thank you!

-Mayflower

Depends on how color sensitive you are, but honestly, if you can get a .92-.96 novo right now, you will NEVER see the difference in size, but you might notice the color. PLUS the cost of going over 1 carat will be expensive.

I would vote for the .92/G or H myself, but I can be color sensitive.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Size difference should not be noticable. I would definitely go with the smaller G-H. You will save a lot of $$ also by not paying the 1 carat premium.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Smaller with better color is my vote too!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Btw. that ring is beautiful! Congratulations! The nice thing about Tiffany is you can take in your ring and they''ll clean it and check the prongs for free - really they have great service and beautiful designs!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that ring, too! I''d always go for the higher color just under a "magic" size. They are hard to find, so if they actually have a .9 stone in stock, I hope he grabs it soon!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also vote for the G or H VS2. I don''t think you''ll see a difference in size, but you might with the I color. Then again I am color sensitive. Can''t wait to see it. good luck!!!

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
I walked in to Tiffany''s for the first time this week and tried on several rings. I was looking at I colors in the solitaire and Novo. I only noticed the color as darker in the Novo. He even brought out another one, didn''t tell me the color of it , asked if it was better and it looked just the same, He said it was a different I, hoping it might look better. So I would definately get H. BTW it was a beautiful ring!! Lucky you!

Mayflower25

Rough_Rock
Thanks much for all of your advice! After thinking it over, I agree on going with the higher color. I guess the media has really drilled the "1ct" ering image into my head!

HappyAnniversary - I noticed that the Novo''s were a little darker than the rb''s as well. That''s the reason for my concern over opting for a lower color. I appreciate your insight
1.gif

On another note... how do I convey this preference to my BF without letting him know I''ve been snooping?
33.gif
Haha

Thanks again!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is basically no visual difference between a VVS and a VS, but cushions show a little more color than rounds...so I would probably go with H color and as low as tiffanys will let you go in clarity, is that VS2? This will still be very white and clean.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 7:00:19 PM
Author: Mayflower25
Thanks much for all of your advice! After thinking it over, I agree on going with the higher color. I guess the media has really drilled the ''1ct'' ering image into my head!

HappyAnniversary - I noticed that the Novo''s were a little darker than the rb''s as well. That''s the reason for my concern over opting for a lower color. I appreciate your insight
1.gif

On another note... how do I convey this preference to my BF without letting him know I''ve been snooping?
33.gif
Haha

Thanks again!

Snooping? I thought you had already picked the Novo out together? If you''ve already been shopping together, just let him know what you''ve learned, there should be nothing shady about it. He will probably be happy to have the info as there is a MAJOR 1ct jump in cost esp. at Tiffany!

Mayflower25

Rough_Rock
NeatFreak - Yes, we picked out the setting together, but I left the "final" decision to him. Am sure that I''ve done more diamond research than he has (he''s very trusting of Tiffany''s), so I''m a tad worried that he might throw his money for the higher carat/lower color.

In the end, I''m just happy that the ring will be from *him* and hope that he''ll get the best quality diamond for his dollar.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 7:00:19 PM
33.gif
Haha
You know... Print out this thread and "casually" leave it where he''ll find it. Circle your favorite parts (...and omit this post).
9.gif
3.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 7:30:07 PM
NeatFreak - Yes, we picked out the setting together, but I left the ''final'' decision to him. Am sure that I''ve done more diamond research than he has (he''s very trusting of Tiffany''s), so I''m a tad worried that he might throw his money for the higher carat/lower color.

In the end, I''m just happy that the ring will be from *him* and hope that he''ll get the best quality diamond for his dollar.

Gotcha. Well as long as you have been involved in the process, it isn''t a complete surprise, and so I don''t see a problem mentioning what you have learned to him. Just don''t show him the thread specifically!!

Mayflower25

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the input. I''ll be sure to post an update when it all happens + pictures!

- Mayflower25

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 7:37:11 PM
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the input. I''ll be sure to post an update when it all happens + pictures!

- Mayflower25
you better!!! It''s going to be stunning!

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would be relatively easy to mention casually, like "I saw some woman''s ring today, and it looked kind of yellow. That made me realize that I''m sensitive to color and I would rather have a smaller stone that was really white." Don''t worry, he''ll never notice- I do it to my bf all the time.
2.gif

Cosmogrrl

Rough_Rock
Hi there,
I have a Novo as well... Much like you, DF and I kinda picked out the setting idea together, but he went alone to find the ring!
After he came back and proposed, he wanted to tell me the full story...
I have a .61ct Novo F colour VS1, and the other option was .71ct I colour VS2. Honestly, my DF I wouldn''t consider colour sensitive, but when he looked at the I-colour, he saw yellow (now I know it wasn''t crazy yellow, but he could definetly see a difference). For him getting something .10ct smaller was worth it - it could be because this time of cushion shows it''s colour more??
Anyways, I hope you get your ring soon! It''s soooo exciting :)
36.gif
Enjoy it! I still haven''t taken any good pics of mine cause I have a crappy camera- - but we need to see pics as soon as you get it!! :)

Mayflower25

Rough_Rock
So the final decision was a I-color 1.03 VVS2 Novo. I brought up the topic of color with my FI briefly, but didn''t push as it was his decision.

However, it doesn''t seem as fabulous in writing as it truly looks in real life. He had the choice between three rings that had been transferred in for him: G, H and I all at about 1ct. Between my FI, sister and the Tiffany''s SA (a trusted and good friend of our family), the I color stone performed the best. I''ve inspected it over and over again and it sparkles beautifully. I''m sure if I compared it side by side with a D-E-F, I''d see the difference, but on its own, its very white. Overall, I''m more than happy with his decision and can''t wait to get it back from sizing and post some pictures!

Thanks again for all your input!
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2007 7:44:24 PM
So the final decision was a I-color 1.03 VVS2 Novo. I brought up the topic of color with my FI briefly, but didn''t push as it was his decision.

However, it doesn''t seem as fabulous in writing as it truly looks in real life. He had the choice between three rings that had been transferred in for him: G, H and I all at about 1ct. Between my FI, sister and the Tiffany''s SA (a trusted and good friend of our family), the I color stone performed the best. I''ve inspected it over and over again and it sparkles beautifully. I''m sure if I compared it side by side with a D-E-F, I''d see the difference, but on its own, its very white. Overall, I''m more than happy with his decision and can''t wait to get it back from sizing and post some pictures!

Thanks again for all your input!
1.gif
It sounds beautiful and I colored stones are still very white, otherwise tiffany''s wouldn''t sell them! I can''t wait to see your pictures, novo rings are gorgeous!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also love the Novo and look forward to seeing your beautiful ring! Please post in the Show Me the Ring forum when you get it back!

tenfour

Shiny_Rock
it''s all a matter of personal preference. personally, i wouldn''t change my D, VVS2, 0.38 tiffany lucida for anything larger. the D colour is unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results