shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany emerald cut soleste: band in middle

appledappled

Rough_Rock
I did see the dark bands in the other EC rings before taking the photo. It seems as though this is something you have to deal with if you want an EC. The original ring was purchased on Jan 5 so I am just within the return period, and I asked if it was possible to see other rings of my size and they just showed me the smaller ones in the box with the same effect. I think they were irritated and thought I was crazy.

I have looked at several rings on instagram and on this forum to see if they get this effect, and it seems as though, depending on the angle in which the photo was taken, it is quite prominent with ECs. See a few screen shots of different examples.

screen_shot_2017-02-04_at_10.png

screen_shot_2017-02-04_at_0.png

screen_shot_2017-02-04_at_1.png

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never been able to see all the way through mine... it could be the way it's set. Interesting.

img_14832.jpg

img_14833.jpg

img_14834.jpg

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Not an expert, but pretty sure the dark band is due to head/body/camera obstruction and not from windowing; assuming the EC is set in an open basket. If it was windowing, you would mostly be seeing the color of your skin through the windowing facets.
The obstruction is due to facets reflecting what is in front of them so it tends to be most noticeable when viewed straight on or when photographed similarly (i.e. if the camera, with a dark body case, is close to the diamond and is on the same angle as the diamond).
If the facets on all 4 sides behave similarly, the darkness looks like a maltese cross as corners typically leak vs. reflect.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a cut issue. It should not be all bright or all dark at the same time, whether it is straight on or tilted. Make sure your head isn't in the way (obstruction) of the light when you view the stone. As you rotate the ring slowly, the steps should light up step by step following the rotation. You should not see any banding (all dark), instead you should be seeing zebra stripes.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I would just return it while you have time. Look for something else, or it will always bother you.

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
As someone who has never been, and likely will never be in a position to buy a Tiffany diamond, let me step a bit out of line here and say:

Forget the return period. It's freakin' Tiffany, not Kay Jewelers. It's not like you want to return the ring because you damaged it or something, it's because they sold you a subpar diamond. If that's the case, then I don't care if you bought the ring five years ago. They need to make it right. Call them and raise heck. If they want to have a reputation as the creme de la creme, then this is the price they pay: selling the very best goods and honoring the implied contract with their customers that a premium price commands premium service. If they balk, tell them so, and demand to talk to the next person higher up the chain.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the outspoken customer should darn well get a nicely cut diamond from a brand that claims to be the best in the business.

appledappled

Rough_Rock
They were very firm with me regarding this issue and said it was because the diamond was very clear and the emerald cut style. I asked about cut and windowing and they seemed to think I was crazy. I tested for head obstruction with a white piece of paper, and I do see less darkness while I try this. I also saw a similar effect with the same style ring on a third party website so I am not sure if it is the cut that tiffany chooses or the setting.
https://www.idonowidont.com/diamonds/tiffany-co-emerald-cut-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-65-ct-g-vvs2-7000-retail

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
appledappled|1486408247|4124930 said:
They were very firm with me regarding this issue and said it was because the diamond was very clear and the emerald cut style. I asked about cut and windowing and they seemed to think I was crazy. I tested for head obstruction with a white piece of paper, and I do see less darkness while I try this. I also saw a similar effect with the same style ring on a third party website so I am not sure if it is the cut that tiffany chooses or the setting.
https://www.idonowidont.com/diamonds/tiffany-co-emerald-cut-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-65-ct-g-vvs2-7000-retail

What about a different setting? that way you would be sure. It is Tiffany and you should be 100% happy.

appledappled

Rough_Rock
They said they cannot change the setting. I tried on different soleste styles and liked the EC best. I actually called them again today and they will be showing me different rings with similar size and presence, so maybe that will help.

appledappled

Rough_Rock
I took a photo of it on white paper vs my wooden tabletop. You can see the band here. This must be due to the diamond being so clear, but could it be due to something else?

Thanks!

screen_shot_2017-02-06_at_7.png

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it bothers you now, it will bother you more down the road. I'd trade it back in for another style.

appledappled

Rough_Rock
Style or different diamond? Will this be as drastic with all EC?

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Only you can answer the question of whether you should change the shape from EC to something else for your own happiness.

But, I do suspect this has to do with the setting. If you love ECs, ask them to show you an EC (or better yet, your stone) in a 4 prong cathedral style solitaire setting without a halo. Also ask to see one in the Harry Winston style (with 2 baguettes). My guess is that looking at an EC not set in a halo will likely remove the darkness you are seeing and help you decide if Tiffany just has poorly cut ECs, if it is the setting causing the issue, or just that you aren't an EC person.

Take a look at the pics that mayk posted earlier, did you notice none has a halo? Personally, I am not a fan of a haloed EC. In my experience, when you halo or bezel an EC, it can sometimes block light entering the stone from the crown.

appledappled

Rough_Rock
I'm going back tomorrow to look at a few different rings to see if it is the cut. Any recommendations on how to properly examine it? It is so difficult in their lighting!

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
Ask to take it out of the store (or at least near a window with natural lighting). I agree with the sentiment that if T&Co wants to be the best, leading, premier jewellery experience they can do that for you. Though you may need to concede that the staff member will carry or wear it and not you!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sent your pics to an "expert" who said this is a very strong black windowing effect and it is undesirable unless you don't mind it, then it doesn't matter.

She avoids these stones for her store.

Can you flat out return it and start over at a better store like whiteflash, brian gavin, high performance diamonds?

Emeraldcutlover88

Rough_Rock
Tyty333

I am desperately seeking the perfect EC and didn't know how to describe the light return and your clear explanation of the frames going on or off has helped tremendously. I didn't think I could find a good EC 2 carat for less than $10,000 since I couldn't explain the brilliance nature I am looking for and appreciate your explanation and efforts more than I can describe.

If you don't mind, could you tell me if having depth and table the same percentage is all right or is that surely going to give a window or diamond will look glassy?

Also, what online retailers are best to look for an EC? Blue Nile doesn't provide ASET. I know James Allen and perhaps GOG are reputable. But want to get your feedback.

Any help is appreciated!!

appledappled

Rough_Rock
I went to the store and compared a ring of similar specs, but it had a table of 65% and a depth of 67% (previous was 60% table and 70% depth). This made a difference, and instead of a horizontal stripe, there was the dramatic emerald cut center. I hope I made the right choice of keeping the emerald cut style. There was also a modified brilliant cut which they could have put a halo around, but I was nervous it would be too square for my finger.

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Emeraldcutlover88|1486666724|4126639 said:
Tyty333

I am desperately seeking the perfect EC and didn't know how to describe the light return and your clear explanation of the frames going on or off has helped tremendously. I didn't think I could find a good EC 2 carat for less than $10,000 since I couldn't explain the brilliance nature I am looking for and appreciate your explanation and efforts more than I can describe.

If you don't mind, could you tell me if having depth and table the same percentage is all right or is that surely going to give a window or diamond will look glassy?

Also, what online retailers are best to look for an EC? Blue Nile doesn't provide ASET. I know James Allen and perhaps GOG are reputable. But want to get your feedback.

GOG is very good with ECs. I didnt get mine there (long story), but did get my AVRs there. They are great, and I have watched many of their youtube videos on ECs. They pick them well.

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
appledappled|1486676712|4126722 said:
I went to the store and compared a ring of similar specs, but it had a table of 65% and a depth of 67% (previous was 60% table and 70% depth). This made a difference, and instead of a horizontal stripe, there was the dramatic emerald cut center. I hope I made the right choice of keeping the emerald cut style. There was also a modified brilliant cut which they could have put a halo around, but I was nervous it would be too square for my finger.

I like those percentages better from your previous pick. I personally like a lower percentage depth for ECs, 67 or below (and even better if below 65, but those are harder to find). With a 65 table, it sounds like a good one. Are they setting it for you?

appledappled

Rough_Rock
It will be the same setting. I couldn't see through the diamond as obvious as the previous one, but there was still shadowing at some angles - it was must more symmetrical. But I think this is to be expected with an EC.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see the new pics!

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Like tyty said earlier, some of the facets will flash "off" some of the time, but will be "on" at other times. This is the nature of a step cut. I hope this one turns out much better for you. If you still see the darkness across the belly of the stone consistently after this new stone is set, then I'd say it is the setting style that is causing the concern.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emeraldcutlover88|1486666724|4126639 said:
Tyty333

Hi ECL...you should start a new thread so we dont get you confused with appledappled...

But in the mean time...we usually look to have the table smaller then the depth however, I think each stone must be evaluated
on its own merits. There is nothing definitive I could say about the depth and table being same. Pay close attention to the center
because a lot of them will not do any flashing at all when it gets down that low.

This is the only stone at JA that is over 2 carats and worth looking at but as you can see it's not very clean. I can drop down to
the J/K level and probably find more.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.01-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-sku-2347112

I like JA for fancy cuts but GOG is a good place...probably arent going to get 2 carats within your budget though.

Here is a K (going to show tint) but I do know we have some Pricescopers with some lower colored emeralds that are just gorgeous.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.03-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-sku-2456571

So, start a new thread if you need more help.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great! Post some pictures...we'd love to see it. Diamonds are notorious hard to photo so it may take quite a few shots to really
show the stones' personality...good luck!

appledappled

Rough_Rock
It is getting resized so I will show you soon. Thanks everyone for your help. Hopefully I chose a good one!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No formulae, no guarantees. There is no magic shortcut or guaranteed specifications or even a range, I'm afraid. I've seen all to many ECs with supposedly sweet numbers that were duds. It is all about how ALL the angles (not just table and depth percentages) work together, especially P1, P2 and P3 in the pavilion, which are never noted in the lab reports.

appledappled

Rough_Rock
No more horizontal shadow and the facets are on/off instead of all on or off. Moral of the story: Try more than one ring of similar specs. Diamonds are finicky!

img_15094.jpg

img_15095.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah!!! Gorgeous appledapple! So glad that you were able to find a beautiful emerald cut...nice, bright, and lovely!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much better!!! I'm glad you have a more lively diamond now. :clap:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results