shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a tiffany diamond I looked at when debating on keeping my stone.... I just found the paperwork for it and ran it through HCA to which it got a 2.9 VG/VG/G/VG

2.53 carat
8.73 x 8.78 x 5.37
depth 61.3%
table 59%
crown angle 35*
pav depth % 43.5%
VVS2
G
no flour
pol/sym ex/ex
girdle med to sl thick

$66,000

a comparable diamond bought through a ps vendor would cost no more than 46k - 20k less! the closest I could find were about 40k....

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Yes Tiffany charges a high premium for their name

was 66k the price or the appraisal value??

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting, I''ve never seen stats for a Tiff stone, I don''t think. Certainly nothing to write home about, to the tune of 66,000.00
23.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/29/2006 1:43:50 PM
Author:Cehrabehra
This is a tiffany diamond I looked at when debating on keeping my stone.... I just found the paperwork for it and ran it through HCA to which it got a 2.9 VG/VG/G/VG

2.53 carat
8.73 x 8.78 x 5.37
depth 61.3%
table 59%
crown angle 35*
pav depth % 43.5%
VVS2
G
no flour
pol/sym ex/ex
girdle med to sl thick

$66,000

a comparable diamond bought through a ps vendor would cost no more than 46k - 20k less! the closest I could find were about 40k....
I am thinking this is a little deep.
Do you have an ideal-scope?

salmon

Shiny_Rock
A couple of questions:

Which type of setting was it in? legacy (Very expensive) vs. classic six prong (less expensive).

What would be the price for a similar quality setting (Mark Morrell/Leon Mege). Just curious about the real difference in price. I was looking at their new round brillant with melee halo, and unfortunately, I can''t find anyone who can produce it (similar) for a significant different in price. A 6 prong is different I know that can be had for much chaeper (WF/ Excel diamonds). I don''t think you can get a Tiffany diamond loose and priced. They brought in one for me a I VS2, but would only give me the price of the stone in the meelee halo setting (16,000). if their policies have changed please let me know, I would like to veiw their loose stones and get a true price on the mark-up, everything else (Apples to Apples) is speculation. An idealscope image would be cool to if you have one. You would be the first to produce it here on pricescope (a true loose Tiffany stone). Thanks in advance for you assistance.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2006 3:01:36 PM
Author: jazmine
Salmon, this ring just showed up in the Show me the Ring forum. It is a copy of the Tiffany ring you asked about by Leon Mege.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/worth-the-wait-my-new-leon-mege.54041/
Glad you posted that jazmine...that ring is GORGEOUS! Who says you can''t get a quality copy?

And Salmon, I can assure you that the Tiffany setting isn''t worth $26000 difference. I''d bet that Leon Mege setting is under $5000.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 1:55:17 PM
Author: DBM
Yes Tiffany charges a high premium for their name

was 66k the price or the appraisal value??
that''s how much $ I''d have to plunk down to walk out with it!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 2:39:03 PM
Author: salmon
A couple of questions:

Which type of setting was it in? legacy (Very expensive) vs. classic six prong (less expensive).

What would be the price for a similar quality setting (Mark Morrell/Leon Mege). Just curious about the real difference in price. I was looking at their new round brillant with melee halo, and unfortunately, I can''t find anyone who can produce it (similar) for a significant different in price. A 6 prong is different I know that can be had for much chaeper (WF/ Excel diamonds). I don''t think you can get a Tiffany diamond loose and priced. They brought in one for me a I VS2, but would only give me the price of the stone in the meelee halo setting (16,000). if their policies have changed please let me know, I would like to veiw their loose stones and get a true price on the mark-up, everything else (Apples to Apples) is speculation. An idealscope image would be cool to if you have one. You would be the first to produce it here on pricescope (a true loose Tiffany stone). Thanks in advance for you assistance.
Just a classic setting - I was comparing it to my cushion and wasn''t looking at the settings.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 2:39:03 PM
A couple of questions:

this was not a loose stone... I went up to the counter to look at their cushions and was instantly not impressed so Ilooked at the case next to it where they had 3 large rounds - the 2.53 was the middle size, I believe the others were 1.5 and 3.5 but I do not recall... so I asked to see the one closest to mine in size and they took me in the back room and I waved the tiffany ring in synch with my stone and compared the fire/scint and they were equal. My stone had some larger and some smaller where the round was more homogenous scint, but mine definitely held its own, which is good for a cushion I think but inferior to the quality you can find elsewhere. Anyway, she printed out an info sheet on the stone for me and attached her card and the price. I walked out of there feeling pretty darn good about my stone!

And no, garry, I don''t have an idealscope yet. Every time I sit down to buy one I realize I need to spend about $200 on stuff and I throw in the towel!! lol

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 1:56:53 PM
Author: Ellen
Interesting, I''ve never seen stats for a Tiff stone, I don''t think. Certainly nothing to write home about, to the tune of 66,000.00
23.gif
I actually thought it would be better for that price :mad:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 4:22:21 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 11/29/2006 1:56:53 PM
Author: Ellen
23.gif
I actually thought it would be better for that price :mad:
For that price, there should be nothing to criticize.

salmon

Shiny_Rock
Jasmine: Thanks for the pics. It does look alot like the round brillant meelee, but the profile is a little different. There are more diamonds around the bottom under the surprise diamond. But it is the closest I''ve ever seen and they did a great JOB!!

Diamondseeker: you really think I could get that setting for under 5,000? That''s awesome, that would put a custom made, round legacy look a like for about 12,000 thousand, depending upon quality, color, and weight of the stone. I was thinking it would cost more about 13,000 or 14,000 to reproduce the same setting. Humm, interesting. I was priced 16,600 for a VS2 I one carat at Tiffany''s.

Cehrabehrha: Thanks for all the info!! I appreciate it.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Salmon, my guess is she asked for the slight variation on the ring. I am not sure if Leon would do the exact Tiffany ring or not. But yes, I would think you could get it for under $5000.

salmon

Shiny_Rock
I just called for a price, but they were closing. I''ll call tomorrow. Humm, I wonder what the meelee would cost? Does GOG or White Flash sale meelee. Is it expensive? Seems it would be less expensive due to size. would you examine meelee for cut quality, like you would for a single diamond? Seems like it would be a lot of work. Any experts on Meelee out there.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Salmon:

In my head, I say it like that, too: meelee. But it rhymes with belly. Go figure.
20.gif
Well, ok, I believe it's a a corrupted pronounciation. No, WF does not sell their melee.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 5:32:48 PM
Author: JulieN
Salmon:

In my head, I say it like that, too: meelee. But it rhymes with belly. Go figure.
20.gif
Well, ok, I believe it''s a a corrupted pronounciation. No, WF does not sell their melee.
I fought melly for a long time because it''s just not RIGHT and cuelit bugs me too - I see that word and it reads cuelay!

salmon

Shiny_Rock
That''s funny!! don''t mind me, I use to work in a lot of francophone countries with Medecin Sans Frontier (Doctors Without Borders). I often write words out that look French the way it would sound in French. It''s a language trick I lose and can''t seem to break, although I''ve been back in the states a month. I do think melly (Melee) is a corruption of the proper pronunciation. I pronunce culet as (cuelay), it looks French, so I pronounce it that way, I had no idea it was pronounced culit. Bad habits are hard to break. I was in a inteveiw the other day and said "face en face" and really meant to say "face to face". They probably thought I was mentally challenged. Hee hee!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 5:52:37 PM
That''s funny!! don''t mind me, I use to work in a lot of francophone countries with Medecin Sans Frontier (Doctors Without Borders). I often write words out that look French the way it would sound in French. It''s a language trick I lose and can''t seem to break, although I''ve been back in the states a month. I do think melly (Melee) is a corruption of the proper pronunciation. I pronunce culet as (cuelay), it looks French, so I pronounce it that way, I had no idea it was pronounced culit. Bad habits are hard to break. I was in a inteveiw the other day and said ''face en face'' and really meant to say ''face to face''. They probably thought I was mentally challenged. Hee hee!!
yes and let me add in cache in computer lingo!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was thinking of starting a new thread about this ... but maybe this is the right place ... soooooo ... last night I was thinking about the eternal question: smaller Tiffany vs larger Generic ... and say if Tiffany has an average markup of 40% higher than a generic alternative ...it SEEMS like that should mean you could have a 40% larger diamond from elsewhere ... but that''s wack math I know I know.

I guess it''s be hard to create a formula to judge how much bigger a diamond you could get because cost per carat varies so much amongst so many factors (size, color, cut, etc)

I was driving myself CRAZY trying to figure out a fool-proof formula ... any ideas?

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
^^^
This topic has been on my mind. If I get a classic Tiffany 6 prong, round solitaire I''m going to try and get it through signedpieces, I don''t have any issues about a ''used'' diamond.
But I also like the Legacy ring and that would mean in all likelihood going to Tiffany (I don''t think there is much of a second-hand market there) - I think though that a .75 or something a little larger Legacy would be fine since I''ve seen a .56 and that looked pretty big to me, even next to a 1 ct. solitaire.

Honestly I just don''t think the mark-up there really is 40% for solitares or the Legacy ring. Someone had a thread about a Tiffany vs. non-Tiffany ring and based on the price of loose stones I didn''t see that much of a markup to have it already set by Tiffany.

Oh and another nice thing about Tiffany is they use conflict free diamonds. (I wonder if Cartier does...)

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I think you can only get a much larger diamond if you drop on clarity/color, but I could be wrong there.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s funny!! don''t mind me, I use to work in a lot of francophone countries with Medecin Sans Frontier (Doctors Without Borders). I often write words out that look French the way it would sound in French. It''s a language trick I lose and can''t seem to break, although I''ve been back in the states a month. I do think melly (Melee) is a corruption of the proper pronunciation. I pronunce culet as (cuelay), it looks French, so I pronounce it that way, I had no idea it was pronounced culit. Bad habits are hard to break. I was in a inteveiw the other day and said ''face en face'' and really meant to say ''face to face''. They probably thought I was mentally challenged. Hee hee!!
It is cuelay, I think. Sales peole look at me funny when I say meelee
40.gif

Ah, well, the perils of online education!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 6:42:52 PM
Author: winternight
^^^
This topic has been on my mind. If I get a classic Tiffany 6 prong, round solitaire I''m going to try and get it through signedpieces, I don''t have any issues about a ''used'' diamond.
But I also like the Legacy ring and that would mean in all likelihood going to Tiffany (I don''t think there is much of a second-hand market there) - I think though that a .75 or something a little larger Legacy would be fine since I''ve seen a .56 and that looked pretty big to me, even next to a 1 ct. solitaire.

Honestly I just don''t think the mark-up there really is 40% for solitares or the Legacy ring. Someone had a thread about a Tiffany vs. non-Tiffany ring and based on the price of loose stones I didn''t see that much of a markup to have it already set by Tiffany.

Oh and another nice thing about Tiffany is they use conflict free diamonds. (I wonder if Cartier does...)
no, the markup wasn''t 40% - it was 30% including a setting.

So basically - 66k in hand for a 2.5 classic OR 46k in hand for a round PLUS a $20k honeymoon!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 6:47:07 PM

It is cuelay, I think. Sales peole look at me funny when I say meelee
40.gif

Ah, well, the perils of online education!
the vendors all say cue-lit :/ I''ve read both are correct which leads me to believe cue-lay is MORE correct but there is power in numbers :/ Meelee is more right in my head too. I say we fight it and continue to use cue-lay and meelee and make ''em suffer LOL

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 6:43:45 PM
I think you can only get a much larger diamond if you drop on clarity/color, but I could be wrong there.

I don''t think you''re correct ... look at this example from this very thread ...

TIFFANY STONE
2.53 carat
8.73 x 8.78 x 5.37
VVS2
G
no flour
pol/sym ex/ex
girdle med to sl thick
$66,000

BLUE NILE STONE
3.21 carat
9.50 x 9.55 x 5.88
Ideal cut
VVS2
G
medium blue flor
pol/sym ex/ex
$64,744

The only appreciable difference is in the Flor ...but it was a quick search ... I''m sure I could find exact stats for an AT LEAST 3 carat stone ... also I''m leaving budget for a solitare setting similar to the tiffany one included in the 66K price.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Oh sorry I meant for smaller stones. The 66k is way, way out of anything I would be looking at for some time. The price difference here is pretty amazing, isn''t it.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Salmon:

20.gif
Well, ok, I believe it''s a a corrupted pronounciation. No, WF does not sell their melee.

Woah, wait, small thread jack to help the pronunciation challanged Dee Jay. I actually looked up melee because I had no idea how to say it and I came away with "may-lay" (please forgive my hooked-on-foniks attempt to show what I mean). So really it rhymes with belly; phoenietically it would be "melly" then?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 7:39:59 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

Salmon:

20.gif

Woah, wait, small thread jack to help the pronunciation challanged Dee Jay. I actually looked up melee because I had no idea how to say it and I came away with ''may-lay'' (please forgive my hooked-on-foniks attempt to show what I mean). So really it rhymes with belly; phoenietically it would be ''melly'' then?
according to everyone I talk to it''s melly but that''s absurd to me lol

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 6:42:52 PM
^^^

1- People will be able to tell that .56 Legacy is not a 1 ct. solitaire. I think halos are beautiful and I am having a 1 ct OEC set in a halo pendant- recognizing that it will make the stone look bigger. The fact that halos "add" size is not a secret. A halo is basically a form of a cluster ring- and I always think of Sienna Miller''s cluster from Jude Law when I see a small stone in a halo as an e-ring. My opinion is you are better off going for a larger center stone in a plain solitaire.
2- Tiffany did not invent the halo and there are plenty of rings out there that are very similiar to the Legacy- they did not invent that style.
3- I think if you do enough research you will realize it is very difficult, if not impossible to be certain that stones are 100% conflict free. There aren''t papers for stones at the point where they are under conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results