shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany cut grading relative to GIA grading

daysie

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Just seeking your help and opinion on this issue.

My BFF is wanting to purchase a diamond from Tiffany and I am really not familiar with how Tiffany grade their stones.

We both went to Tiffany together today, and the sales assistant said all Tiffany diamonds are "excellent" cut (in a I can't believe you would even ask me that question kinda way). So I am wanting to ask your opinions on how much deviation is the Tiffany "excellent" cut grading relative to a GIA graded excellent cut.

I noted a definite difference in colour (albeit small IMO). Also I had my 18x loupe with me, and I could quite easily see very small inclusions (side-view) on the diamond they picked out, which had a Tiffany clarity grading of VVS2.

I've already explained to her the Tiffany $ premium, but they're happy to pay it because she values brand names and they can afford it.

Any help will be great.

Thanks in advance!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tiffany seem to more or less follow GIA rules.
It is arguable that when GIA had a bribery for better grades scandal 5 or 7 years ago, that Tiffany felt it made more sense to set up their own lab.
GIA runs a very good lab, but not a perfect one.

Either way, there is a range of cut qualities withing 'Excellent'. The worst Tiffany stone will not be a dog.
But here is one Pricescopers experiance in picking the best of the best.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-day-at-tiffanys-with-the-i-scope.69733/

daysie

Rough_Rock
Thanks Garry.

Will request for specs when we go in next and run it through the HCA

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results