shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany & Co. Ribbon Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kittyjt

Rough_Rock
My bf told me he's going to propose in March and we recently started shopping for my e-ring. Yesterday we went to the Tiffany store at Short Hills, NJ and asked to see some e-rings they have there. I tried on several Etoiles, the new Cushion cut w/ channel band, and the Ribbon ring. We both fell in love with the Ribbon Ring. The center stone is a 0.66 ct, G, VS1 round brilliant diamond, and it's set in Platinum w/ total of 0.16 ct diamonds. The price on the ticket is $7,600. This ring out shines all the other rings I tried on in that store and it's within our budget ($8,000.) The diamonds on the ribbons make the center stone appear to be bigger. After we stepped out of the store my bf said that he actually did not catch any details of the ring when I put it on. All he saw was a big sparkle floating on my finger.
Both me and my bf are no expertise in diamonds and ring settings. Most of my knowledge about diamonds came from reading posts on PS. This is my first post and I would like to ask if anyone here has the Ribbon ring and how do you like it in the long-run? I love the way the center stone is set, but is this really a good way to set the diamond to an expertise' eyes? To me the setting is unique and the slim appearance looks perfect on my size 5 3/4 finger. Before trying on the Ribbon I tried several Etoiles and the reason I didn't like them is that as the diamond gets bigger the setting gets bolder. the 0.5 ct one already looks too heavy on my finger.
I attached two pictures of the ribbon ring I downloaded on Tiffany's web site. I don't know if PS allows it. If not I will delete the pictures.
Any comment is important to us!
Thanks,

Lauren
2.gif

engagement_other_ribbon2.jpg

engagement_other_ribbon1.jpg

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is lovely...if you love it and it fits your budget, there is no reason not to get it.

Of course you can go online and get a larger stone for your budget, but if you like the whole package, it might just be best to buy it there. Congrats!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

You are probably aware that for your budget you could get a beautifully cut and larger diamond, but as you love this one and the setting - then it sounds like you have found your ring!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a gorgeous ring. If you love it, get it. Tiffany makes a quality product so i wouldn''t worry a bit about the setting and long term problems. If you get it, please come back and post pictures, i''d love to see a handshot of that ring!!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
kittyjt- I just tried on that ring, and loved it. The way the diamond is set is fine/secure. It is Tiffany''s and they make amazing stuff (I know, I just got a Tiffany e-ring upgrade!)...

It is a classic ring that is a bit unique, and I have yet to see any "copies" of that design!!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone remember that ring that was made from ERD I think and looked a ton like the ribbon ring? I think it had a large cushion in it??

Before considering a tiffany, you might want to consider having someone else make something similar to avoid the markeup.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you love it, go for it. I''ve seen it at my Tiffany''s and it''s gorgeous!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lauren....welcome to PS!

It''s absolutely lovely, unique, and delicate....I LOVE it!
30.gif
I say GO FOR IT if it''s the ring of your dreams!

Being a Tiffany piece, you can be confident that it''s of highest quality and workmanship...

widget

kittyjt

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies!
I know I can probably get a bigger stone for my budget if I purchase online. But I''ve always dreamed to have a Tiffany e-ring since I was a little girl. Purchasing an engagement ring is a once in a lifetime experience and I want the whole process to be perfect. Hopefully it will become one of my treasured memories years later.

Februray2003bride, thanks for taking the time finding the link for me. It is a lovely ring! We won''t aford a stone that big from Tiffany, but we would rather go for the original design.

USLABelle, congrats on your e-ring upgrade! I''m not sure how this works. Is it like trade in the old ring and pick a new one from the store? Do they apply the original price toward new purchase?

mrssalvo, I will definitely post pictures if I get it. I just can''t wait till March!

Thanks again guys!

Lauren

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tiffany''s allows a trade in, as long as you spend double the original price. I think they give you 85-90 percent of the original purchase value. I do not think Belle got her original asscher from Tiffany''s...but I got my second and third upgrades from there, and it was a wonderful experience.

kittyjt

Rough_Rock
Hi Widget,
You just made me more confident about my choice! Thanks for your possitive input!

Lauren

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
kittyjt,

many little girls have dreamed of e-rings from tiffany''s. you will be one of the few to actual have that dream come true. I think it''s a wonderful choice...can''t wait for those pics
2.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
If you really like it, I would most likely go with Tiff''s instead of a copy. I can''t see someone making that ring as well as they do. However, I would try to get maybe an H VS2 and go a little bigger if I could.

kittyjt

Rough_Rock
Hi Diamond fan,
Thanks for the information! So if the original piece is not from Tiffany, they would still take it in as long as you are spending double the original value?

Lauren

kittyjt

Rough_Rock
Jazmine, when I was in Tiffany''s I actually compared a 0.5 ct F VS1 (or VS2? can''t remember exactly) with the 0.66 ct G VS1, side by side, and I really couldn''t tell any difference in term of color. I know if I am allowed to take both rings outside the mall and compare them under daylight it might be a different story. As for getting a bigger stone, I would LOVE to, but I don''t think our budget allows me to do that. Maybe it won''t be much more money if I am able to find a bigger J color? When I was there they only have these two Ribbon rings to choose from. If my center stone could be in the 80-90 points range it would be superb even if it''s a J. Do you know how much Tiffany would charge for a ribbon ring this big?
Thanks,

Lauren

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, it has to be from Tiffany''s originally...my first e ring was not, but my first and second upgrades were.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 9:50:02 PM
Author: kittyjt
Jazmine, when I was in Tiffany's I actually compared a 0.5 ct F VS1 (or VS2? can't remember exactly) with the 0.66 ct G VS1, side by side, and I really couldn't tell any difference in term of color. I know if I am allowed to take both rings outside the mall and compare them under daylight it might be a different story. As for getting a bigger stone, I would LOVE to, but I don't think our budget allows me to do that. Maybe it won't be much more money if I am able to find a bigger J color? When I was there they only have these two Ribbon rings to choose from. If my center stone could be in the 80-90 points range it would be superb even if it's a J. Do you know how much Tiffany would charge for a ribbon ring this big?
Thanks,

Lauren
They can call in larger ribbon rings for you to see. They do a search in their inventory and will tell you what other ribbon rings are available. Then if you are interested they will bring them in for your viewing pleasure. Just because your Tiff's only had 2, doesn't mean you are limited to those.... HTH, good luck!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
My guess is that T&Co doesn''t carry J-colored stones.

It wouldn''t hurt to ask if there are any slightly larger versions available that are within your budget (with lower color/clarity grades). I suspect that when they know you''re seriously interested, they wouldn''t mind calling around to see...

widget

Rachie

Shiny_Rock
Kittyjt ~ I tried on this ring to show my bf how thin I wanted the band on my ering to be and I agree that it is gorgeous! If I didn''t already have my heart set on a cushion and if my bf was into diamonds around the center stone, it would have been a front runner in my ring choice. I say go for it if you love it! Congrats and enjoy your ring!
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love the tiffany ribbon ring...it''s one of my fave styles...it''s unique and really pretty. i think if it was a more basic design i''d say sure go find a bigger stone online and build it from scratch but i wouldn''t want to try to replicate that ring.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the lowest Tiffany''s goes is I...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t seen that setting before and I think it looks really nice. If you love it you may need to buy it rather than try to recreate it.

But do have them bring in other rings for you to look at. And have FUN!

kittyjt

Rough_Rock
Does Tiffany have microscope and idealscope in the stores for the customers to look at the close up of the stones?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure you can ask to look with a loupe at least, but it is very doubtful that they would have an idealscope as I do not think they specialize in hearts and arrows diamonds. They sell well-cut stones, just not to the superideal cut level most of the time.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Probably loupe, definitely not idealscope. You could buy your own scope though, and make sure that you''re getting a stone with great light return. It''s a stunning ring! pics required
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a beautiful ring, and if you''re really set on a Tiffany ring, then go for it. And definitely post some pictures!!
36.gif

kittyjt

Rough_Rock
Thanks for answering my questions. Now I know not to ask for the idealscope in Tiffany, to avoid embarrassing myself.
14.gif

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Kitty, the Tiffany''s ribbon ring really is unique and pretty. It''s a great choice. If you''ve dreamed of having a Tiffany ring then I think that dream should come true. However, see if Tiffanys can get a variety of sizes in for you to try (within your budget range), since this will help you decide which is the perfect one for you. GOOD LUCK and please come back with an update.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results