shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiaras

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I found this tiara somewhere & now can't remember where. No info on it except that it's early 19th century. It's unusual in the yellow gold ornamentation. Can't decide whether I like it or not. It looks a little overdone when seen alone like this, but on the right head with good tiara hair, it might be fairly stunning.

gold__amp__diamond__early_19th.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow. :love: I had no idea this thread was here until I searched for tiaras! I can tell I have a pleasant hour or two ahead of me, perusing previous contributions.

But I also have a question ....

I desperately want to make a convertible tiara. But figuring out how the frameworks connected to the necklaces is killing me. Does anybody happen to have any good resources/shots/images/diagrams they could point me towards?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, me too, Circe!

All I have found, so far, are references that they are screwed onto the frames. I imagine that, depending on how the hinges for the articulated necklace were designed, it would require quite a few screws and some ingenuity so that the holes are hidden when the piece is worn as a necklace.

I think the best solution is to go to an excellent antique jewelry store and ask to look at a couple (which is probably all they have). I don't think auction houses will allow you to have such a close look at them, but perhaps you may be able to talk to one of their experts. Then share all you learn, because I have tried both around here and neither had tiaras (and I was looked at very funny when I asked).

By the way, this is a cute tiara/bracelet with an ingenious mechanism.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A little success, Circe!

This has some pictures of the back of the tiara and we can see how the frame works, as well as the pins in the brooch/pendant: http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1766535

Here, you can see the bare frame, with some sort of clips and pins to hold the necklace in place, although I don't see where the riviere goes, comparing to the picture of all the pieces on the tiara frame: http://pinterest.com/pin/168251736049005311/ and http://www.doblejewellers.com/antique-silver-and-gold-diamond-tiara-necklace-and-brooches.html

And, to finish off, anyone want a tiara with a 101ct diamond focal point?

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/jewelry/a-magnificent-diamond-tiara-5087437-details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=5087437&sid=3ea23848-4cc5-462f-8417-537814de5db0

d5087437l.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
How a necklace converts into a tiara is something that has always intrigued me, as I'm a fan of convertible tiaras. From HQ that I've seen of convertible tiaras, there are a few ways to mount a necklace on a frame and wear it as tiara:
1st way - frame consists of base with upright bars/prongs that have small screws. There must be tiny holes in the metalwork of the necklace (not visible from the front, going only half-way into the metal) and this is where the screws get in/are driven when the jewel is worn as tiara. Additionally, usually there is a flat metal "surface" (I'm sorry, I really don't know how to name this thing) on which the necklace "sits". Rarely there are claws/prongs that go between the stones. If the elements of necklace are hung from a chain of stones/riviere, then this"surface" is smooth and goes all the way to the back. However, if it's a scroll necklace with links hooked to one another, then the "surface" takes the form of the scrolls/elements. Good examples would be the Poltimore tiara and the Queen Silvia's own diamond tiara.
2nd way - small loops at the back of the necklace. The metal bars on the tiara frame go straight into these loops. In this way the necklace is "strung" on the frame. Usually, there is a metal line, which would determine the shape of the tiara - some elements set higher than others, or in most cases all in even hight. Good examples are Queen Mary's GGB&I tiara (pic) and Crown Princess Mette-Marit's amethyst tiara (pic), the Napoleonic amethyst tiara from the Bernadotte collection and Crown Princess Mary's wedding tiara
3rd way - this is mostly used for fringe tiaras - an even metal bar/line raised from the base and used to screw the fringes. Again we have the "surface" on which the base of the necklace rests. The best example would be Queen Mary's fringe tiara and Queen Alexandra's diamond kokoshnik where the metal line is visible behind the fringes. Note that not every fringe tiara uses this technique ;-)
4th way - clips - see Lady Disdain's reply
5th way - a tiara frame that follows the lines of the necklace - this one's quite gracefull and goes well with more delicate jewels, like the Connaught tiara. Screws are used here, as well.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A couple of things to add:

Looking at photos from the large auction houses can help with seeing the various ways of converting a necklace into a tiara. I use Christie's, as one can see the photos in HQ by zooming. Not always the technique is visible, but still.
Something important I forgot to add is that a piece can combine more than one way of converting - loops at the bottom and screws on top, clips for the back chain (when used as part of the tiara), etc.

I hope my replies have been informative and not so easy to understand (315 AM here and it's been a long day!).

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Keep your fingers crossed...I will find out in the next couple of weeks if I won another teaching award. You know what I do when something cool like that happens! :bigsmile:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1359426914|3366020 said:
Wow. :love: I had no idea this thread was here until I searched for tiaras! I can tell I have a pleasant hour or two ahead of me, perusing previous contributions.

Well...that's because you never clicked on the link with which I provided you in the thread about tiaras you started in Hangout! Way back then I told you about this thread and about Lady Maria, who makes her own tiaras!

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria|1364856017|3418179 said:
Keep your fingers crossed...I will find out in the next couple of weeks if I won another teaching award. You know what I do when something cool like that happens! :bigsmile:

Good luck, LadyMaria! I think you are due for a new tiara!

Hugs,
Deb

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Good news! I won the teaching award!! :)) I will officially receive my award next month. But in the meantime, I made a little purchase to celebrate. Since I submitted a chemistry lesson with the application for the award, I'm calling it....

...drum roll please...

...The Queen of Chemistry! :D

It kind of reminded me of the Modern Fringe Tiara from the Swedish royal family. Princess Madeline wears it a lot.

queenchemistry.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria|1365878361|3426281 said:
Good news! I won the teaching award!! :)) I will officially receive my award next month. But in the meantime, I made a little purchase to celebrate. Since I submitted a chemistry lesson with the application for the award, I'm calling it....

...drum roll please...

It kind of reminded me of the Modern Fringe Tiara from the Swedish royal family. Princess Madeline wears it a lot.

Congratulations on winning the award, LadyMaria. I really, really, really love your latest tiara! It has a great deal of regality to it. Presence. Perhaps because of its height, but also because of its very finished appearance. I love all your tiaras, but this one competes with those of the crowned heads of Europe. Wear it in good health!

Hugs,
Deb

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Deb! I'm glad you like it! I love it...wore it while housecleaning yesterday! :lol: One thing the picture doesn't do justice to is that the stone in the middle of each diamond shape dangles. There is a lot of sparkle when it moves!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1365878361|3426281 said:

...drum roll please...

Congratulations, Lady Maria!
The new tiara is very lovely :) Love the dangling stones! It remindes me of Queen Alexandrine's diamond drop tiara from the Danish RF's collection ;-) Hope you'll wear it on many happy occasions :)

Best,
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today, at the wedding of her brother Christopher O'Niel to Princess Madeleine of Sweden, Grafin Natascha von Abensperg und Traun wore this beautiful small Greek key sparkler :) I'm in love with it :)
natashaabensperg_tiara.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
One of the groom's other sisters Tatjana d'Abo wore a very lovely pearl and diamond tiara. I think it might be Cartier, since there are some late Belle Epoque tiaras by the firm with a similar shape, but I'm not sure. Any information about the D'Abo family?
tatjanadabo.jpg

(Picture is cropped from one of the official photos released by the Royal Court)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, I looked up the d'Abos, was curious too. They're English, no nobility, etc., and seem to have a few performers in the family, starting with Mike, who was in the 60s group Manfred Mann. A couple of others are actresses -- cousins. That's all I could find.

I love that Greek Key tiara too, & she's wearing it well; I like it kind of back on her head the way she has it.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1370737214|3461811 said:
Bobby, I looked up the d'Abos, was curious too. They're English, no nobility, etc., and seem to have a few performers in the family, starting with Mike, who was in the 60s group Manfred Mann. A couple of others are actresses -- cousins. That's all I could find.

I love that Greek Key tiara too, & she's wearing it well; I like it kind of back on her head the way she has it.

--- Laurie

Thanks :) I think a d'Abo daughter wore the tiara to this year's Royal Caledorian Ball :)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A couple of big photos of the large diamond tiara worn by the Lady Melissa Percy at her wedding to Thomas van Straubenzee, cortesy Zimbio - Photo 1 and Photo 2

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
wow that is a serious tiara. not for beginners :razz:

i couldn't help but be distracted by her obviously empty ear piercings... :(

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, now I have read so much about the Percy family tiaras that my head is stuffed with information! I shall forget it all by tomorrow morning, unfortunately. At the moment I am glad to have it. I read about this gorgeous tiara having been of secondary importance to another one the Percy Family owned, the strawberry leaf coronet, which was worn by the then Dowager Duchess of Northumberland to the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. However, it was stolen in 1963 and the family no longer has it.

I saw a picture of the Duchess of Northumberland (Lady Melissa's and Lady Katie's grandmother) who also attended Queen Elizabeth's coronation (see photo below). She was not dressed for the coronation in the photo, but she was wearing this tiara, which she wore to the coronation since her mother-in-law was wearing the coveted strawberry leaf coronet at the time!

Such stuff of fairy tales!

Deb/AGBF

duchessofnorthumberland.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1372295342|3472911 said:
Well, now I have read so much about the Percy family tiaras that my head is stuffed with information! I shall forget it all by tomorrow morning, unfortunately. At the moment I am glad to have it. I read about this gorgeous tiara having been of secondary importance to another one the Percy Family owned, the strawberry leaf coronet, which was worn by the then Dowager Duchess of Northumberland to the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. However, it was stolen in 1963 and the family no longer has it.

I saw a picture of the Duchess of Northumberland (Lady Melissa's and Lady Katie's grandmother) who also attended Queen Elizabeth's coronation (see photo below). She was not dressed for the coronation in the photo, but she was wearing this tiara, which she wore to the coronation since her mother-in-law was wearing the coveted strawberry leaf coronet at the time!

Such stuff of fairy tales!

Deb/AGBF

The photo on the left is, in fact, a photo of Her Grace at the Coronation in the Abbey ;-) The photo on the left (with the pealrs) was taken at one of the events around the Coronation.

Re: The Strawberry leaf coronet - this was a very beautiful tiara and also an important one... A great loss, if you ask me. And not just for the family... It was once exhibited along with other jewels from British noble families and fron Elizabeth II's private collection. There are some photos on-line. Here's one of them - Link
And a Beaton portrait of Mary, Duchess of Northumberland wearing the stolen tiara in 1937 - Link

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1372297624|3472935 said:
The photo on the left is, in fact, a photo of Her Grace at the Coronation in the Abbey ;-) The photo on the left (with the pealrs) was taken at one of the events around the Coronation.

Re: The Strawberry leaf coronet - this was a very beautiful tiara and also an important one... A great loss, if you ask me. And not just for the family... It was once exhibited along with other jewels from British noble families and fron Elizabeth II's private collection. There are some photos on-line. Here's one of them - Link
And a Beaton portrait of Mary, Duchess of Northumberland wearing the stolen tiara in 1937 - Link

Thank you, as always, for the information about the photo (on the left) and also for the photos of the strawberry leaf coronet, Bobby. I see that it is an "important" piece, but it looks "unwieldy" for want of a better word, to me. Lacking in grace (no pun intended). I know that it had historic significance, however. I am sad that it is lost.

Deb/AGBF
:wavey:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
NB - Don't read in case you've still not seen Downton Abbey's 3rd Season and Chrismas Special! Can be considered a spoiler!

Just found these two grat photograps from Downton Abbey's third season () of varios ladies wearing tiaras and head ornaments:
First photograph - The Dowager Countess with a lovely little pearl and diamond sparkler and Mrs Levinson with a bandeau and a glorious sautior of emeralds and diamond - Photo 1
Second photograph - Lady Grantham wearing a lovely pearl and diamond spike tiara (and a gorgeous necklace!), The Marchioness of Flintshire with the family's delicious fringe :love: and Lady Edith with a bracelet/necklace with pearls - Photo 2

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a number of pearl tiaras on show as part of Pearls exhibition at UK's Victoria and Albert Museum, including the Rosebery and the Raine Spencer tiaras.

DK :)

Marina87

Rough_Rock
I love tiaras! They are just so gorgeous and stunning! :love:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WinchesterTiara1.jpg WinchesterTiara2.jpg WinchesterTiara4.jpg WinchesterTiara3.jpg

Vesper posted these photos of The Winchester Tiara in the Royal Jewels Thread. I am hoping that she will join this thread to discuss the photos. I noticed that there is at least one photo of a tiara given to a Duchess of Winchester on her wedding day (one with colored stones) in this thread already. I would like to go back and learn more about the Winchester jewels. I believe that The Duke of Winchester may have been the wealthiest man in Great Britain at one point!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bobby posted this information earlier in this thread over six years ago in response to a request from another poster who was looking for a picture of The Westminster Tiara.

"by prince.of.preslav » Mar 18, 2011
Of course Maria, I have photos of Princess Mary's fringe tiara. But I can offer you something better - links with photos and information about the tiaras in The Duke's collection
The fringe - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/mary-lascelles-harewood/princess-mary-fringe.htm
The spinel parure - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/bagration-parure.htm
A pearl & diamond tiara - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/pearl-tiara-westminster.htm
A leaf tiara by Faberge - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/myrtle-leaves-tiara.htm
A diamond & enamel tiara by Chaumet - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/chaumet-email-diadem.htm
The floral tiara/necklace by Faberge - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/cyclam-flowers-faberge.htm
A diamond tiara that was sold - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/arcot-diamonds.htm

Enjoy!
Bobby"

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Westminster Halo Tiara with the Arcot Diamonds

"The first Marquess of Westminster bought the Arcots for £10,000 as part of a birthday present for his wife.

The famous halo Westminster tiara...... The large round center diamond was thought to be the Hastings Diamond. The Arcots are on either side. The Arcots and the other diamonds remained in the possession of the Grosvenor family for many years. In 1930 the Parisian jeweler Lacloche mounted the Arcots in the Westminster Tiara, a bandeau style piece, together with the round brilliant and no less than 1421 smaller smaller diamonds.

The tiara was pieced to form a design of pavè-set scrolls with arcading, and with clusters of marquise-shaped diamonds between the sections, tapering slightly at the sides, with baguette diamond banding framing the large center stone and with diamond baguettes dispersed singly throughout the tiara.

In her memoirs, Loelia, Duchess of Westminster, third wife of the second Duke of Westminster, wrote about the Arcots, 'fixed by themselves on the safety-pin they looked extremely bogus, so that a friend who saw me that evening remarked, "What on earth does Loelia think she's doing, pinning those two lumps of glass on herself?"'

In June of 1959 the third Duke of Westminster sold the Westminster Tiara to help meet the cost of heavy death-duties. Harry Winston paid £110,000 for it at auction - then a world record price for a piece of jewelry. Mr. Winston had the two Arcots recut in order to obtain greater clarity and brilliance, the larger to 30.99 metric carats and the smaller to 18.85 metric carats."

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
NB - Don't read in case you've still not seen Downton Abbey's 3rd Season and Chrismas Special! Can be considered a spoiler!

Just found these two grat photograps from Downton Abbey's third season () of varios ladies wearing tiaras and head ornaments:
First photograph - The Dowager Countess with a lovely little pearl and diamond sparkler and Mrs Levinson with a bandeau and a glorious sautior of emeralds and diamond - Photo 1
Second photograph - Lady Grantham wearing a lovely pearl and diamond spike tiara (and a gorgeous necklace!), The Marchioness of Flintshire with the family's delicious fringe :love: and Lady Edith with a bracelet/necklace with pearls - Photo 2

I have only recently delved into the world of Downton Abbey. It's one of those series that I always knew I would love, I just never got around to buying the DVD set. Well, I finally did under the condition that I could only watch them while on the treadmill. I thoroughly enjoyed the tiaras that were in the show.

I was a little surprised that Lady Edith didn't wear the Ears of Wheat Downton tiara for her wedding at the end of season 6. I can't quite tell if A) it had too many bad memories from when Anthony Strallen ran away or if B) that tiara wasn't en vogue for the time period at the end of series 6. I liked the one she wore, I just would have rather seen it worn higher on the head (I've never been a big fan of wearing tiara's bandeau style).

Now that I've finally gotten around to Downton, I must go for Victoria and The Crown next...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results